The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:34 pm

"I'm not sure it can tie a knot too effectively. It's as nimble as I am, and I doubt I could tie a good knot one-handed..." Invoking his Mage Hand, Mehr sends it out to grab and pull on the vines, testing their solidity.

It's funny that we're here discussing the best way to do things, and by the time we decide Syli will have made it. Then she can tie off the rope on the other side for the rest of us who can't traverse treetops.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm

((I'd say probably a reddish-orange tabby, to match her skin and hair tone))

Nearly losing herself in sensory overload, Syli stops on her newfound perch, head darting about as she attempts to take it all in. The new mindset, to hunt, to chase, was nearly overwhelming...

'Dammit girl, no. FOCUS.' She mentally chews herself out, attempting to return back to the task at hand. 'Make it across, THEN grab a snack.'

Testing her balance, Syli then attempts to dart her way across the canopy... But her attention keeps getting drawn to the vibrant fauna around her...

Acrobatics (+2): 5

((Er... okay, that's not necessarily good. Although... actually, would I get advantage here? Not more than 2lbs, and a clawed quadreped with good climbing skills to boot, so maybe? Or, failing that, with a cat's speed, it's possible that, rather than falling straight down, I actually DO make it to the opposite bank... albeit making more of an impact than I intended :lol: ))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm

... How much would a cat weigh? Less than ten pounds? Rather than a perilous climb, you could've just told Mehr to magic you over, you know. :p
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm

You can make me a straight Dex check :)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 pm

((That'd only get me 30ft across, though. River's 40ft))

Syli Dexterity (+2): 5

((...and I think Unseen Servant is feeling repetitive today))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm

"Tying a knot one-handed is tricky. Doing so when that hand is not attached to an arm is perhaps simpler."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm

"And when you're trying to see it all from a distance? I can try it, just don't expect much result."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Syli, unused to her new cat form, takes a running leap between the trees... and undercooks the jump. Her claws scrabble frantically at the twigs and tail lashes to regain her balance, but it can do nothing to stop the inevitable gravitational pull of the ground below.

The rest of the party are interrupted from their discussions of one-handed ropework and acrobatics by a yowl and a splash as a large ginger tabby cat plummets into the middle of the river.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Mage Hand already invoked, Mehr moves to scoop the cat out of the water, clicking his tongue, "Making so much noise. If the wildlife splashes around like that predators will be attracted quickly."
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 pm

"mmrREEEE-!" *splash*

'GAH! Water wet water bad bad water no more water!' Syli quickly panics, attempting to right herself and wildly doggy-paddle over to the far shore.

Athletics (-3): 9

((I rolled that just as DLover posted, albeit I don't think I'm going to make much progress anyway))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:09 pm

The cat is duly scooped out of the water, clinging tightly to the magical hand with all four limbs in the way that only a wet cat will, as a larger shadowy thing swirls suddenly downstream, rippling the surface where Syli just landed.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 pm

"Oh no! A poor kitty!" Gwen looks at the shadow thing. "Lay a single appendage and on the kitty and I will gut you!"

Intimidation: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:17 pm

The swirling dark shape disappears downstream before Gwen can finish yelling at it.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Syli cat clings for dear life to the magical hand floating in midair, opting for the moment not to push her luck.

((Actually, if you can get the mage hand far enough out, Syli could probably make the jump to the far bank pretty easily. Although with these dice, it might also result in me getting turned into a snack, too.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

"I'm suddenly less interested in swinging across... I'm assuming whatever that is, it's hungry. Those of you with blasty magic stuff, if you stand ready to hit it, maybe someone splashing about will lure it back and you can deal with it?"

((And just outside Mehr's range to scoop you back up...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Mehr moves the mage hand toward the far side of the river, stopping ten feet short of the bank, "Ah, it's a bit further than I'd thought. Well, so much for just carrying everything across that way, unless I stand out in the water while I do."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:41 pm

"Can we keep the poor kitty?" Gwen starts blasting the shadowy figure with eldrich blast.
Eldrich blast : 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
1D10 = [7] = 7

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Syli cat squirms a bit, eying the far bank. For a few moments, she contemplates trying to leap from the mage hand to the shore... before common sense catches up with her, and she continues to cling to the mage hand.

((I was a little fuzzy on the jumping rules for 5e, and... yeah, I'm not even going to attempt it. Because it's solely based off strength, I can only clear a whopping 1.5 feet as a cat. And while I could make an Athletics check... yeah, at -3, I'm gonna pass on that.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Sighing, Mehr brings back the hand, pulling the cat to the close shore, "Keeping a wild cat seems inadvisable."

The shadow's already gone, Burns.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:56 pm

((Fastball special? :halo: ))

Have to get going, but Kal would like nature and/or perception on the swirly thing.

"Hey, has anyone seen Syli?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Mehriv pulls the mage hand back to the near shore, with attached cat.

Kal catches a look at the swirly thing and is almost positive it was just some sort of large catfish. It's probably not the sort of thing a small cat would want to meet, but it would be harmless to the larger folk.

Nature: 1D20+3 = [20]+3 = 23

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 pm

((Ah, heck. I'm going for it.))

"Well, it's gonna be dark if we just stand about watching wildlife splash into the water. I'm gonna give it a try on the vines... blast anything that tries to eat me, would you Gwen? If that catfish comes back, we've got lunch!"

Acrobatics check: Vine swinging: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23

((Let me know if you need more, or something additional...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Gwen soghs in relief when the kitty is safe. "Come on Merhiv, it seems harmless enough, and at worst we can let it go back out in the wild, but it needs to be dried up and warmed up." Gwen brings out some of the mest out of her ration for the 'kitty', holding it flat in her hand and slowly approaching it as to not scare the kitty.

She looks up at Korrik. "Alright." edit: she readies an eldrich blast at anything wanting to attack korrik.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm

"We barely have food for ourselves, Gwen, nevermind a pet." Prompted by Kal, Mehr casts about for Syli, "Blast, where did she go? Syli! Where are you?"
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm

"I can find food for us, at least most of us. The cat is small enough to not drain too much resourses and she can probably hunt."