The Unhallowed Isle

Home to all current Forum Games.
Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

The Unhallowed Isle

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 am

logo.png
Recruiting! Please swing by the recruitment thread to sign up.
31 houses sit in the Great Jungle, to the east of the Peaks. Like the rest of the island, the village that these houses make up is named, very originally, "the Village". Then again, when you're on a small island like the one the Village was on, clear names are rather useful, since there are only so many things to be named. There were places such as the Shyra Cliffs, named after their discoverers, but mostly things were named as they were.
The days were peaceful on that little island, save for the occasional monster, but the nights were much more dangerous. The living dead, the demons, and worse wandered the land while the stars were out, bringing death and destruction to all that they found. As such, the many who had found themselves on the isle had quickly built the Village for safety, and tried to stay within sight of it when the sun went down. It wasn't too terrible a life, considering that the isle was so far the only place safe from the war that covered the rest of the land, halting technological growth and ruining the world.
One of the major reasons people didn't worry too much about the dangers of the isle was the fact that everyone who had been on it had developed some level of magical talent. Each had their own unique spells that they could cast, but these taxed them greatly and they only had so many they could cast each day. Nonetheless, they were useful and could save lives if used when they were needed.
A few other humans were seen on the isle occasionally, mostly dressed in robes and with hair that hung down past their shoulders. The other common variety looked to be natives, and carried a good many items with them that some thought they could sense power rippling off of. They mostly avoided the people, and so few worried about them. However, in the month of the serpent (they had come up with a new system of time, with five-day weeks, different months all 30 days long with 5 days at the start of the year being without month), there was a strange sighting: A ship floating out on the waters, with people standing on it. They looked fairly advanced, and they were all bristling with weapons. The ship sailed by, even when a few daring people had tried to signal at it, and the brief hopes that they would be free of the isle soon vanished.
Everyone knew that something was up, however. Everyone knew that things were going to be changing on their peaceful little isle, and probably for the worse.

Player list:
  • Boro, played by Borys. Lvl 0. HP 9, SP 12, MP 6. Str 3, Agl 6, Vit 6, Wll 6, Chm 3, Int 6. 1 star.
  • Dietro, played by Dlover. Lvl 0. HP 6, SP 10, MP 7. Str 3, Agl 7, Vit 3, Wll 4, Chm 6, Int 7. 1 star.
  • Basher, played by Theis2. Lvl 0. HP 20, SP 12, MP 3. Str 10, Agl 2, Vit 10, Wll 4, Chm 1, Int 3. 1 star.
  • Nerre, played by Nerre. Lvl 0. HP 6, SP 8, MP 11. Str 2, Agl 4, Vit 4, Wll 7, Chm 2, Int 11. 1 star, backpack, fire flute.
  • Gru-Baak, played by Orga the Strange. Lvl 0. HP 20, SP 18, MP 3. Str 6, Agl 4, Vit 14, Wll 2, Chm 1, Int 3. 1 star.
  • Eric, played by Quarg. Lvl 0. HP 11, SP 11, MP 6. Str 6, Agl 6, Vit 5, Wll 4, Chm 3, Int 6. 1 star, mysterious bracelet, pot, bronze plating, bamboo staff.

10th of the month of the serpent, year 108. 9:00 AM.

The Village awoke to the smell of smoke. Already food was being cooked for the day's breakfast over the fire pits just outside of the Village. The morning went pretty peacefully as people ate their breakfast and got ready for the day. Mikso was sick with some sort of cold, probably carried by the people who had sailed past just recently, and Runni, the doctor, was tending to him. Vina, Runni's apprentice, would have helped, but everyone knew that, while Mikso was an excellent musician, his lyrics were something out of nightmares, and that was when he wasn't hallucinating from fever.

Then, there were sounds like explosions. Tourin the guard went out to investigate them, and came back reporting that one of the natives had been found dead, a small circular wound on his back. He had been stripped of all his possessions save for his clothing, or so it seemed, as they usually carried a great number of interesting, apparently magical items.

Tourin had also seen a boat near it. A tiny one, but a boat nonetheless. It was sailing away from the beach, and when he hailed to it, it kept on sailing into the distance, ignoring him completely.

There was some debate of holding a meeting or investigating the rest of the isle, but it was eventually decided that, as the matter wasn't apparently urgent, sending scouts was too risky to be worthwhile, so if there were to be any, they would be volunteers. A meeting was scheduled for five days later, but until then, the issue wouldn't be dealt with.

And so, everyone finished their morning meals and some went back to the village proper while trying to ignore the sound of Mikso's singing, others went out of the Village for one reason or another, and others still remained behind in the breakfast area. However, whatever the case, nobody forgot about one major fact: Someone had sailed to the island. There were people who knew this place existed.

Whether they wanted to be taken away to another land, were worried that the new arrivals were going to be power-hungry, thought these visitors were hostile, or had some other views, nobody forgot about the people in boats for too long.

After all, on such a quiet island, things that could mean drastic changes in lifestyle or certain death were always interesting.
OOC: Everyone is essentially just outside the village in the fire area, but they probably won't stay there for long. The stars in the list are a form of currency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Loyal Backstabber on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: The Unhallowed Isle

Post by Borys » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:47 am

"We should be aware, that they're probably NOT friendly. So everybody stay ready!"
Boro prepares himself mentally for fight and observes movements of the forest, trying to spot anyone approaching village.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 am

"I wouldn't have guessed they might be hostile only cause they left a corpse...thanks for pointing it out." Nerre says in a annoyed tone.
It shocked him that somebody can just come to their island, kill somebody and just leave again. And it annoyed him that they did not even know why.

Nerre walks over to the corps and looks if he can find any trace from the murder. If the person looks like it fought before it was killed, maybe something below the fingernails? If the hole looks like somebody is still in it, some kind of projectile, he will try to get it out. If it is in too deep, he will use his water control to force it out of the wound using the body fluids of the corpse (if this doesn't work he will just get some water). He then will cast his knowledge spell on the projectile, maybe it will tell him at least a few things.
:zzz:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:43 am

"Ha, don't worry so much. They will return, I am certain of that. If they took the things a native was carrying then they will want to come back for more. But we've survived here for a good time now, we can all protect each other. There is no need to be hostile within our extended family here," taking his leave, Dietro makes his way to Mikso's home. While Mikso was not an excellent writer of lyrics, he was the closest thing to the family Dietro had before finding himself out to sea, and he was not troubled by the haunted songs, having heard many a terrible tale in his performing career.

"How are you doing, Runni? Any sign of improvement? I'm sure all of the Village is hoping for his singing to quiet, and despite his dreaded writing, performing for everyone isn't the same without him," Dietro grins at Runni, "I know Vina can't handle the singing, it can become nearly apocalyptic at times, so if you need anything I can help out. It doesn't put me off so much, and I want to help him recover however I can."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am

The corpse did not seem to have any signs of struggle on it. It seemed that they had died before even having a chance to act. The projectile could be retrieved, but it took some effort.

It was a rough sphere, and, from what he could determine, it had been blasted at the target from an enchanted variety of musket, though the enchantment didn't seem to relate to the projectile from his divinations.

(OOC: I'm guessing you're using minimum power for the spell since you didn't specify,)
Runni looked up. He stopped wiping his glasses on a cloth, then brushed his long blond hair away from his ears and put them on again. "He'll be okay soon enough, but it will be a few days. The only thing I can do to help him recover aside from the normal things right now would be to get some kalkai leaves and see if those treat this thing like they treated the last one, but they're not so common this time of year."
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:01 pm

"Well, it is good to know he is recovering. Have you had your meal this morning? You need to keep your own strength up, even when tending to the ill."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 am

"I'm fine," Runni replied. "I had dinner last night. I should be okay for the day." Even as he spoke, his stomach rumbled. "Besides, I need to eat alone to make sure nobody else catches this, and nobody's enthusiastic about coming over here."

Mikso stirred a little, and hummed, "Roses are red, except when they're white. Heck, they're more of a pink, alright?" Sadly, it was a step up from his last few rhymes.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 am

Boro asks guard if there is any way to barricade entrance to the village.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am

"We have the defences we set up every night, but we'll be at risk if we barricade the village," the guardsman Tourin replied. "We'd have to rely on stores of food, water, and everything else until we decided the threat had gone away."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 am

Having spaced out for a while thinking of this sudden new arrival, Basher wanders around with his usual grim face listening to the talk of the people.
With a harsh tone Basher speaks to Tourin.
"So how much food do we have in case we do make a barricade? Would I need to be hunting again any time soon?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am

"We have enough to last us maybe ten days, but what worries me is how Runni would act. He might starve, even if we had enough for him. He's bad enough about remembering to eat and sleep when there's plenty of food to go around."

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Gru-Baak was awake and had been for some time, he was used to being up early, and had done a bit of training to get ready for, what he believed, was a bloody battle to come. He then left his home and made his way torwards the gates, where there seemd to be the most activity. "Wuts gowin' awn?" he would ask the group, his voice rough and guttural.
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 pm

"Friend, you cannot starve yourself like this. If you do not eat, you are more likely to fall ill yourself, and then we would all be in trouble. I will care for Mikso. I am able enough to keep a fever down, and I know should he wake long enough to eat or drink he should receive only small amounts, lest his body reject it in surprise. Now, go take care of yourself, good doctor."
Should Runni agree, Dietro ensures Mikso's immediate needs are taken care of, then takes a seat and begins playing his Calming Melody (1mp).
My game:

My characters:

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Crika the miner picked a leaf out of her bushy brown hair and absentmindedly crushed it, then replied to Gru-Baak. "Morning, Gru-Baak. Basically, one of those natives was killed and looted by people in boats. There were some explosions too."

Runni sighed. "I suppose you're right. I can't do much good if I get sick too, and you're good as far as doctors go here. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Hesitantly, he left the house. Once Dietro had seen to Mikso's immediate problems and started playing, Mikso slowly drifted off to rest, and fortunately stopped singing.

Dietro did notice something as he played. On one wall of Runni's house, there hung a small drawing of what looked to be a woman with part of her right arm, her left hand, her knee down on her left foot, and the top right part of her face made of something reflective, though what it was couldn't be determined. She didn't seem otherwise that unusual, although the hair over the left side of her face hung down to her chin.

(OOC: I'll leave this scene here for a while as time will be passing, but since Mikso's sleeping you can still do some things since he's not in need of much. Let me know if and/or when you want to skip to Runni's return.)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Dietro will continue to care for Mikso until something important happens.
My game:

My characters:

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 am

Nerre shows the sphere he found to the others "I found this in the corpse. I think it was what killed him, and it did it quickly."
He tries to determine what material it might be, and again tries to find out something about it, using 3 MP this time.

OOC: How fast does MP and HP recover? 1/turn? 2? All over night? All from one "episode" to the next? You don't have to give me a fix rule if you got none yet, "over time" is enough information for me. :)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:38 am

Basher turns away from the others and walk towards the forest while mumbling to himself.

A guy dies and then they can't figure out to think of anything besides that guy.. Ten days aren't that much if we have to hide here, so better to get some more right away.

He then turns around and returns to the village in realisation that he will need his hunting spear if he hopes to achieve anything. As he walks back he listen to what people are talking about, and every time the death of the native is mentioned his face turns grim.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:08 am

Boro says loudly, so that everybody could hear him:
"I don't know, about you... but we can't just hide here forever... I'll found those people and watch what are they doing... who are they... maybe they aren't our enemies, maybe this guy was just stealing from them... but we need to be prepared! Is anybody with me?
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am

OOC: I'm thinking that generally, a person regains their full MP over the course of around 24 hours, so the more max MP you have, the faster you regain it. For example, a person with 8 MP gets 1 back every 3 hours, while one with 4 MP gets 1 back every 6 hours.

The sphere seemed to be lead, and he could find out a good bit about it with divinations. He could determine that it was shot a short ways into the jungle and he could find the exact spot, belonged to a man named Schifo who was the captain of a small ship, and was shot before the native had even seen Schifo.

As Basher walked he heard not just discussion of recent events, but also talk of a new kind of undead floating around the village last night. Supposedly, it was a cloaked figure who appeared out of nowhere, took down the undeath wards, and floated around the seer's house. Nobody was really convinced, however. Eventually, Basher managed to get his spear.

There were some cheers from various people as Boro spoke. Tludor in particular cheered.

Stats:

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:22 pm

"Mmm, sownds loik trubble." Gru-Baak would say. When he heard Boro shout his proclomation and shout y back "Ay! Oi'll goe widja. We need ter kill 'em fer dey kill us!"
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:46 am

Boro (and Orga) go to the spot where shot was fired and look for any traces left by attacker.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:57 am

Nerre walks back to the city and tells the others what he found out about Schifo and the shot, then he leads them to the spot so they can search for traces together. Since he analyzed the corpse and the sphere, he had missed Boros little speach.

He keeps his eyes open for prints of feet or other things, which might be gone now. Or broken plants, showing that their is a track leading anywhere else. Maybe they stole an artifact which stood here for some time, maybe the dead guy was only unlucky to cross their path when they came back or went to do whatever somewhere else.

(using no magic this time)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:58 am

Basher, slightly curious about the news that doesn't involve the murder decides to change plans and head towards where one of the undeath wards were supposed to be. (taking the one closest to the forest as possible)

He hears Nerre say something about someone named Schifo when he leaves the city, but he quickly get away from the gossip
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:51 am

Some tracks could be seen, headed to the peaks, apparently to an easy pass through them. It looked like it was only a single person, but further on, two other sets of tracks joined them. At the bottom of the pass, the stone was too hard to leave any more tracks, but they could be followed easily enough so long as the pass didn't branch off.

The ward appeared to be completely dispelled. It had been cast on a symbol for life to make it more potent and harder to get rid of, but the magic seemed to be gone and the symbol undamaged. This meant that, whatever these new creatures were, they probably used some magic.

Runni returned to his house after a short lunch. "Thank you, Dietro. How is he?"

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 am

Boro (and anyone who follows him) follow tracks of murderer.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.