thinkslogically
Game Master

The Goblin Adventurer's League

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:47 am

The Goblin Adventurer's League

Latest Goings-On
http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 50#p198331

Current Quests:
None at the moment (But I'll have one on the way soon! ~thinks)

Upcoming Quests:
  1. (DM: Thinkslogically): Sign-ups open on the 27th Feb (ish)
  2. ??? (DM: Nerre) (IN PREP)
  3. ??? (DM: Patdragon) (IN PREP)
  4. ??? (DM: nikohl) (PROBABLY)
  5. ??? (DM: Badgeaddict) (AT SOME POINT)
Visiting Traders
Ben the Dwarf
Dashon the Bard
Ralf the Tailor (permanent)
Mouse Chef (permanent)

Quest Hooks Discovered
The Temple of Dawnstar
Fountain of Mudhoney
A Treasure Island?
Strange Blue Gem and Dashon's attempt to ID it

Rumours
  • Bartender: There's a cursed paladin in the woods to the north who has a thing about mushrooms...
GM Resources
Want to run your own mini-adventure? There are loads of resources here to help you!
Art Thread (Sprites etc. for you to use)
'The God School' - Tutorials on how to build a short adventure
The Trapper Keeper: List of current players and their stuff

It seemed like a ridiculous reason to pack a bag and set out into the wilds really, but sometimes there's just no refusing that call to adventure, whatever form it might come in. And besides, the 'Bugbear and Flea' sounds like it might be a pub which means there's probably going to be beer... right?

Well, it's pretty out the way for a pub but I guess this is it...

"Ah excellent! Another visitor! Come in, come in! Grab yourself a chair and let me bring you a drink."
"Um... I'm here about the 'Goblin Adventurer's League? Is this the right place?"
"It certainly is! We've got a team out on a job at the moment, but we're always accepting new members, so come on in, grab some food and enjoy yourselves."

Completed Quests Hall of Fallen Heroes
Image Image

-------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 111 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Goblin Adventurer's League (Open Games)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:47 am

So You Want to be a Goblin Adventurer?
Welcome to the Goblin Adventurer's League (Guild membership pending), the place for goblins of all clans and abilities to come to make a name for themselves that will echo down the ages* and make a bit of extra gold along the way!**

How does this work?
Every so often, I'll receive word of a job which requires a particularly enterprising individual to carry out on behalf of the GAL. These jobs can be quite varied and may involve retrieving a particular treasure, rescuing a monster-in-distress or throwing a spanner in the works of the rival leagues and those goody-two-shoes adventurers from the Greenspire Citadel. Gods they're annoying. Anyway, when a job comes along, all you have to do is sign up for it and I'll select a party (at random) to go and carry it out.

What about and treasure I find?
Usually your job will be to carry out a particular task for the League. If that task involves fetching a treasure then you will need to hand that over when you return here or else you forfeit your membership. Everything else you find is yours for the keeping though.

This is a nice pub. Can I stay here?
If you choose to join the GAL, you will receive free lodging and food at the Bugbear & Flea as recompense for your services. You'll need to pay for your own booze though!

Can I stay here even if I'm not adventuring?
Um, sure! Just make sure to buy something every once in a while.

Sounds good! Where do I sign?
Not so fast my goblin friend! This work is dangerous business, so don't sign up if you're not willing to risk life and limb in the pusuit of capitalist gain everlasting glory***.

Seriously, that's fine. Can I join?
Of course! Welcome to the Goblin Adventurer's League!

--------------------------------

*Echoes of greatness not a guaranteed benefit of membership.
**Profits of any kind are unlikely and not guaranteed.
***Everlasting glory unlikely to be achieved.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:53 am

Rules

Welcome to the Bugbear & Flea! This thread is for all OOC chat relating to the game and serves as a waiting area where you guys can introduce your characters, indulge in a bit of roleplay if you like, or discuss the current quests on offer. It is also the place where I'll be offering the available quests that you guys can sign up for.

All the quests on offer are going to be short, single dungeon adventures which will have different objectives and requirements, but that are intended to be completed relatively quickly (i.e. within a RL month or so). Game mechanics are decided by the GM (Games Master) / DM (Dungeon Master) for the quest you join, but at their simplest, they will probably follow something like this:

Health: 5/5HP
Attack: 1 ATT
Defence: 1 DEF

You may take one major action, one minor action and one move action per turn. Major and move actions can be swapped if you want to double up on them.

If you move into a new area or attack something, your turn will end.

Skill Checks' (e.g. to climb a wall, jump a gap etc.) will be determined by a dice roll or at the discretion of your DM. As always, the DM's decision is final.

Modifications to the base stats are ONLY available through use of items which will be found through the various quests.

Healing
Healing can only be done using items (e.g. potions, magical implements etc.). If you find interesting ingredients on your travels, you can always try to brew your own potions in the kitchen back at the Inn or by visiting one of the numerous traders or NPCs that you'll meet during the different quests.

Returning to the Inn at the end of a Quest (or after fleeing one) automatically restores your character to full HP.

Death
If your character reaches 0HP, they will die. You can create a new character immediately, but they won't be able to resume the Quest your ex-goblin was participating in when they met their end and you will lose whatever inventory your last character was carrying.

Escape
If you decide that a quest is too difficult and bravely run away, you may be able to escape back to the Inn. You will forfeit any quest rewards, and the retreat will be noted on your Hero Sheet (where completed mission stats go). If you flee from a Quest, you may not attempt it again. Saying that, you will keep your inventory and current GP and may well live to fight another day. Up to you :)

Escape will not always be an option and will depend on the circumstances of each individual quest.

How do I sign up?
First off, you need a character, and every character needs a:

Name
Colour (please include the hexcode)
Gender (or at least a preferred pronoun) &
Backstory (optional).

Post your characters in this thread, and feel free to change them whenever you like.

Each player can have a maximum of one active character each (this may increase later, but we're doing good so far so probably not).

After that, you need to keep an eye out for new quests appearing in this thread. When a new job comes in, you'll get all the details here and will be able to apply to undertake it.

What if I don't get into a quest?
Don't worry, there will be more. These quests are all designed to be pretty short but with a high turnover, so if you don't get into one just wait a bit and try again for the next one. Players will always be drawn at random from the pool of sign-ups, with a preference to those who didn't play in the previous mission (so if you get into Quest 1, you're going to be a little less likely to get into Quest 2, but have the same chance as anyone to get into Quest 3).

How many players will there be?
That will depend on the particular quest.

can I use the same character for lots of quests?
As long as they are alive that's no problem. A character keeps all loot they acquire forever until they die.

I'm an aspiring GM and want to try running a quest? Is that cool?
Absolutely! If you want to offer a job, you are more than welcome to do so. If you want to take one of my mini dungeons and try out running it then that's also totally fine - I can provide a full ready-to-go mini dungeon or you can bring your own and try it out here :)

What about items I find?
Any items you find during a quest will be attached to your character forever unless you choose to give them away, rent them out or sell them to another player. Since you may not play in every quest, this will allow items to pass between different players if required / desired.

If your character dies during a quest, ALL the items & gold they were carrying will be lost (though they may end up being obtainable again in future quests). This should keep the item-economy in check somewhat (I hope!).

So there's money involved?
Every character starts with 10 gold (GP) in their pockets, but no items. Items can only be obtained during quests, but can be traded in the pub. A beer costs 0.5GP here. Do with that what you will.

So what's with the pub?
The pub is whatever you want it to be. It's an IC / OOC area where you guys can roleplay, chat about the game, gamble, trade... Whatever you want. I will be lurking around and will post new quests here when one appears, but for the meantime, just pull up a chair, grab a drink and relax :)

----------------------------------------------
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:04 am

w007!!!

First to join!

Cuz I am totally in for this! (I wish I could read the small text on the bottom of the pamphlet. I cant make it out)

Name: Odd Duck
Colour: 808000

Backstory: The goblin wandered into the locale as though he was lost. The bartender immediately asked "Who are you?" When he answered that he couldn't say, the bar tender said, "You're an Odd Duck." Taking the name as his own, Odd Duck wandered around, occasionally popping back in for a short stay.
Last edited by SGTdude on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:20 am

I am registering my interest!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:37 am

Ok, the rules are up and should explain a few things! Any questions just give me a shout, but in the meantime make yourselves at home.

The first mini-quest should be ready by Monday.

EDIT: These quests will also be variable quality :) It's as much a chance for me to experiment as for you guys to play so just go with it!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: The Goblin Adventurer's League (Open)

Post by nikohl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Name: First-of-All
Colour: #008080 teal!
(mini) Backstory: All was born to that often-mentioned tribe with the teller who ruins naming ceremonies. The teller was about to start on one of his epic rants, and that's how All got her name. She has grown to be quite shy and generous because of constantly being called First as a child, and prefers to be called All.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:35 pm

I'M IN ! player name and such will be later as it is midnight
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:51 am

Name: Walks With The Wind
Colour: #008000 dark green!

Backstory: As oldest of many childs to two clanless goblins, who, prior to settling down, had taken a couple of adventuring levels, Walks With The Wind had always been most inclined to get out of the little hut full of siblings she was sometimes supposed to watch over and she quickly grew fed up with the saying "You should know better, you're the older one" from either parent whenever she was in dispute with one of her numerous sisters or brothers. Every outdoor task was so much better than being stuck inside having to listen to the constant ruckus the younger ones made, no matter how mind numbingly boring it might have been. She dreamed of going further than the limits of the little secluded valley they lived in, and explore the world, maybe someday even take on some adventurer levels of her own.
She befriended the creatures (sentient or not) of the valley whenever she found them, desperately searching for someone she could relate to, or to tell her something from the world out of her boundaries, or just spend time with.
As a result she is very open minded and will try peaceful talk, if there is any chance in it succeeding, no matter how her vis-a-vis looks like.
She also has a talent for magic, some of it innate (her parents were a druid and a ranger), some "tricks" observed/learned from the magical creatures in the valley. She can't cast any spells yet, but it is only a matter of time until she gets the hang of it. Maybe being in a dangerous situation will set it free.
When she finally came of age, she told her parents that she wanted to go and explore the world, find some excitement, something that has been missing in her life so far. Her parents, reminded of their own past, smiled benevolently at her and allowed her to go. They gave her some equipment gold as well as a little bit of advice, knowing too well that she would want to find out most things on her own. They weren't worried, they had taught her well, and were confident that Walks would make her way in the world.
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:20 am

William the Red
Red #FF0000
Red

William the Red, wanted to cook. He loved cooking from a young age as a small goblin in the clan. The problem was that he had all these 'fancy' ideas, like crusts, and puddings, and sauces. I mean what goblin really wants to waste perfectly good wine on a sauce when you could just as well get sauced on it yourself? The other problem was that William had a temper...which is why when he caught the Cheif of his Clan drinking up his wine supply, he chopped him up and baked in in a stew and served him to the the rest of the clan...
Yeah, he has a serious rage issues...and they tend to be homicidal.

He came here hoping to get a job as a cook. But it seems that people want him more for his ability to render things lifeless. So he helps in the kitchen (his stews are to die for) and goes out on adventures to build up his savings to open an inn of his own someday.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 am

senor costa fluctuantes (latin for floating rib,just love that word)
color asks green of course
male
back story, senor fluctuantes is a mysterious gentleman from the south, who flirts with everybody and evreything

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:52 am

Afraid that colour's been taken Asks, so I'm going to alter you to a slightly different shade of green for your sprite (who's just arrived in the bar with the others - see post 1).

How's this colour for you? (#005500)

SaruSama
Likes to Contribute

Post by SaruSama » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:06 am

Sounds awesome, I'm in.
Character Name: Soars the Skies
Color Blue #0000FF
Soars is from a tribe with a notoriously flaky teller. This teller is known to ... indulge, in certain mushrooms and mosses usually reserved for special rites and ceremonies quite frequently. As a result many of the tribe have quite confusing names, like Tastes too Loud, Sounds like Purple, and O GOD THE SPIDERS ARE EVERYWHERE. Soars however has taken his name as inspiration and has always believed that unlike the rest of his clan he would live up to his name. Knowing this would never happen at home he took off into the wilds to learn new skills and hopefully one day live up to his name. During his wanderings one of the first things he heard about was the Goblin's Adventure League and rushed to see what it could be about.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 am

thinkslogically wrote:Afraid that colour's been taken Asks, so I'm going to alter you to a slightly different shade of green for your sprite (who's just arrived in the bar with the others - see post 1).

How's this colour for you? (#005500)
saw gathers took it, no probs, fine by me.

btw is there anyway we can claim gear before or first mission, like clothes and simple weaponry or do we have to find evreything on mission.
and If we have any way of requestion a look I would love a bad moustace :D think 1920's womanizer

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:57 am

I have to second that just because I think it would be hilarious for asks' character to have a moustache like that :P
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:17 am

Minor customisation is totally fine. Asks, your guy shall be mustachio'd post haste! No gear or clothing is available until you find it during a quest though so you'll have to wait I'm afraid.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:27 am

Name: Steals the tequilla
Colour: #8000FF
Backstory: It all seems rather hazy.. But I bet it was fun!

Just a quick one to throw my hat into the adventure pool! :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 am

It is I
"Will hear so much dirty talk and drink so much at the bar that his ears becomes hot and turns red"

or Red ears for short: #B97A57

"one beer please, and one for the other ear to"

Yes... this is Red ear.... he works best when he's a bit tipsy.... that is the main reason he miss so many adventures.. he's sleeping out hangovers...

Inventory:
9 GP.
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 am

thinkslogically wrote:Minor customisation is totally fine.
Can Walks get some hair (pony tail with bangs or long open would be swell)? If so, this color (#04B010) for the hair, please. If not, that's fine, too. I just wanted to have asked. :thumbsup:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:40 am

Name: Lurks In Shadows
Colour: #404040
Backstory: Lurks always had a talent for staying unseen and seaking around. He heard tales of adventurers gaining vast riches and decided to put his skill to use.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:40 am

omg he's perfect !!!!
beware ladies senor fluctuantes is coming to town

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:53 am

"Afraid we don't serve bears in here lad - company policy after a spot of nastiness a few months back. But I can serve you a beer if that'll do?"

Gathers: Hair might be a problem. Right now it looks super bad and I've got to head out. I'll try again tomorrow but no promises I'm afraid.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 pm

"ah well... not as much fur as I'd like... but it'll do....

** :'( my tooth and boots... was that to much moderation? :'(
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:29 pm

One beer coming up. Anyone else need anything? You're all awfully quiet!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Name: Mines Flagons (to go with Flags Mines and Mines Flags, my characters in Minesweeper and CTF, respectively)

Color: Is 4080FF good?

Backstory: May be added later, if I'm up to it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler