Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:54 pm

I haven't posted anything of substance lately, still trying to get back to the day to day following the conference... then I got sick Friday that lasted until today, so once I get caught up on grading (or need a break from it), I'll be putting together an update.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 am

Take your time, RL stuff always has priority. Although I hope you finish soon. This game is great.

Unrelated:
There's something I've been wondering about for a while. If this is explained on the comic I apologize, didn't get very far with my re-read yet.

Is what Sparks do real science, or does it only work because of the spark?
Could a normal person build the same, if he was provided with a detailed blueprint and the necessary materials?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:24 am

It's 'real fictionalized' science... Many sparks have minions that they 'employ' to do minor repairs and carry out tasks, but the genius to see how the dots are connected generally comes from someone being a spark.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Yay, new update!

@nikohl - I likely would have let water alone be just fine, but since Hiero and Ursula were both hesitant to try that (and since I'd planted that parchment foreeeeeeever ago), I rewarded Ursula's think session with an item that will do what she wants, and perhaps be useful in a general sense to the workshop.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 am

Thank you :3

I'm away this weekend - if you update before I'm back and Ursula has run out of actions, send her to bed please.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:47 am

Can do, enjoy your weekend.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 am

For reference, where in relation to the comic's timeline are we? Obviously Agatha hasn't been to Mechanicsburg yet, as the castle is still broken, but how much earlier are we?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 am

Roughly at or before the start of the comic, Agatha is still a nobody in the outside world.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 am

Well should this whole affair take longer than two months (which I rather doubt, but still), things might get interesting. ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:15 am

Alaen wrote:Well should this whole affair take longer than two months (which I rather doubt, but still), things might get interesting. ;)
At our current pace, that would put us there in about 5-10 years real time? ;) At which point I can fall back on my "Roughly at or BEFORE..." and keep avoiding introduction of any comic canon characters or events...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:16 am

Hey all... as you may have seen elsewhere (or not), LAYF is making his hiatus from the forums permanent, at least in as much as if/when he does return, he plans on creating a new forum name. I've discussed it with him, as last I'd heard before that he was planning on resuming control of Bunn, but it looks like that won't be the case.

To make updates easier for me, Bunn is no longer on active rotation within the game, and has 'fled into the depths of the Castle'. If LAYF does return, or I have someone interested in joining that wants to pick up with the Bunn character, I suppose you may find him again in your travels, but for now he is gone. It was either that or write a gruesome deathscene for him... and this way it gives me an 'agent' in the event I wish to plant story arcs or plot points within the Castle.

You're welcome to RP concern, either as a tribute to Bunn or LAYF, but I'm telling you all this so that you don't feel the need to put your characters in danger going after a departed comrade that you won't be able to find...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:21 am

Sam has no concern....for the missing Bunn...or for much of anyone else for that matter....this is who he is...

Sam has great concern however for his newest and bestest friend...Mr. Clank...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Sam has no concern....for the missing Bunn...or for much of anyone else for that matter....this is who he is...

Sam has great concern however for his newest and bestest friend...Mr. Clank...
We're well aware. Mostly a notice for those with characters that form attachments to other humans. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 am

I'm choosing to have Ursula be OK with it, even though she might not normally be OK with it - just because I OOC know why Bunn's wandered off.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Should have realized myself. Just didn't make the connection.

And yeah, Nikohl's policy seems about right to me.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:19 am

Will nerre's character be escaping naked into the castle as well?

due to it then being one less character you have to look after?

I'm just wondering.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 am

Nerre has posted more recently, and I know his internet time has been limited based on a new job. Unless he tells me that is what he wishes to do with the character, or if he were to be taking a prolonged hiatus, I'm willing to keep Hiero on auto, though depending on tasks and goals, sometimes he may be less efficient. I took steps to move the parchment out of Hiero's hands since a map of the surrounding area wouldn't be of much use to you all if you found it after you allready explored it all.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 am

I'd be interested to be able to see the rolls made each round, more because I'm interested in seeing how the game mechanics play out.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 am

Sam looks in Hiero's direction and while licking the tip of his knife and chuckling to himself....oh this will be fun..

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I'd be interested to be able to see the rolls made each round, more because I'm interested in seeing how the game mechanics play out.
... I assume this was meant for another game? ;) Stargate, perhaps?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I was wondering why it never showed up in that thread... :?

Thanks... :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:04 pm

@badge

Since I'm not bothering to draw the clank's 'guts', you can reference this strip. Basically a spark tore out his insides, not to repair it, but to disable the clank.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:56 am

I've said before that I don't have plans on posting what your accumulated SP are in particular skill disciplines, and that is still my intention, as that sounds like a pain to keep it all straight, but I thought it might be useful to occasionally post skills you do have some partial level in. The impetus for this was the update I just posted where August got SP in Blades, a skill he originally gained experience in by sharpening the knives he found in the kitchen at the start of the game. Number in the parentheses is your character's current level in that skill. I've been posting leveled skills in your inventories in tabs, but unless you've been keeping track at home, you may have forgotten some of the other skills you have partial levels in.

You are welcome to use or not use this as you wish, taking on a task or study in a (0) skill may give you enough SP to advance to (1) in that skill. I am also in the process of adding the SP gains to the book and scroll descriptions that have been read (something that I could have saved time by doing the first time), as well as tracking 'Books Read' in my version of your character sheets.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 pm

@Badge and Wears: I'm trying something different with the clank wiring, rather than just rolling each turn based on your skills, I'm presenting you with a mini-puzzle to solve. You have a couple clues so far, and will gain more information as you see what works and doesn't work. Your 'turn' will instead be up to 5 attempts to plug the right wire into the right slot, getting feedback after each attempt. I hope you find it interesting at least, though I know the weekend isn't the best timing as people often aren't posting as frequently.

@Everyone: I implemented something new regarding tasks that I regard as being very minor. The example was August cleaning the cruddy dagger. I wanted this to be a 1 turn task, as he's just trying to clean it up a bit. The only way to guarantee that previously was to make it a 1 CP task, but that kind of sucks for you guys in terms of gaining SP, as it would only yield 0.1 SP in Cleaning. Instead, what I did, and what I am going to try for what I deem to be 1 turn tasks, was roll skill checks for the task, and make the CP of the task whatever was rolled, which increases your chance to get a bit more experience. August rolled a 1d3 and hit on the 3. Since it is a minor, 1 turn task, I'll likely cap the CP at 3, so that a character high level in Cleaning wouldn't be able to gain 1.5 SP for such a minor task, but would have a better chance to hit to roll better than the cap and get the 0.3 SP.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Sounds good to me. I figured it would come to trial and error. Good to have that formalized.

And thanks for the skill post. It's handy to know where I stand. And it confirms what I'd sensed: Ursula has so far been the most effective. (Not that it's a competition. But credit where it's due.)

► Show Spoiler