Newcomers Check-in!

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Dana Son-of-Bear
Remains Silent

Re: Newcomers Check-in!

Post by Dana Son-of-Bear » Wed May 27, 2015 8:29 am

So... after years and years of reading, (has it really been five years? Goodness) I've finally decided to get involved in the Goblins community. I tend to shy away from forums because I start feeling obligated to be really active and contribute and yadda yadda...

Let's just say I cried when I read Thunt's resignation letter because I knew his pain so keenly.

But I'm getting better, and I know you guys are awesome, so it's time to get my feet wet by jumping right into the deep end of the pool. (Also, mostly I wanted to gossip about the latest update but I'll leave that to the proper thread.)

So yeah. My name is Dana. I also go by Harbinger on forums and online games that don't allow apostrophes. (And Dana Phantom on games that go back ten years ago or so and once on the live stream where I nearly wet myself because holy crap Thunt actually answered a question and talked to me and so this celebrity/idol knows I exist.) I tend to come off as hypomanic and nutty (I blame my ADHD) or utterly emotionless and wise (I blame my love of Spock) depending on the situation and conversation. So please don't be scared off if I seem to switch personalities. Of the myriad of mental issues I have, DID is not one of them.

... I think.
Last edited by Dana Son-of-Bear on Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed May 27, 2015 9:43 am

Welcome, Dana!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Is it just our imagination, or did this forum see a much higher level of activity before we de-lurked and began posting on it? We visit only weekly, and seem to find fewer new posts than used to appear on a daily basis, when we did nothing but read.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu May 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Activity level varies widely depending on time of year (when people have the free time to drop by), Thunt's activity level, and various other factors.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 am

Yeah, I noticed too another slow down since the update schedule picked up slightly.
Don't know why though.
Likely, the people are reading instead of posting.
I would not attribute this to any of the de-lurkers.

But the games forum is still going strong. People may have moved there.

Thriwk
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Thriwk » Fri May 29, 2015 5:50 am

Hi! I am new to this forum, but an mid-old time reader (I started reading at the big fight in Brassmoon, so start of book 3. I came here, mainly because I want to play the patreon game and someone posted a link to the forum..

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri May 29, 2015 6:11 am

Well, a warm welcome to you!
Forum games are in the logical subforum of "Forum games", if there is a specific patreon game in the patreon subforum you should probably be one yourself and link your account to it, but I wouldn't know because I'm not a patreon myself.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 am

Welcome, Thriwk.

Guus: I'm always checking your signature whether you've changed it again. Only then I noticed you changed your Avatar again.
Was Ms. Koning dissapointed in the missing affection from her lover? ("no soul in his face") (Trying to guess a context)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 pm

No, although she is known to have had multiple lovers. Marie Metz-Koning was a spiritist and very religious, even though her manners didn't really go well with anything any church would call christian behaviour. Metz-Koning is the name from her first marriage, later she married someone else and was named Marx-Koning. She also changed her name from Marie to Morie, because it sounded better according to her particular style of faith. I should check my notes for the exact context, but I believe it was her commenting on a colleague, whom she apparently didn't hold in high regards.
I also change my avatars with my signatures, because I want the right face with the right quote.

EDIT: I am glad you notice my signatures though Krulle, I mainly do it for myself, but I like the idea that others take interest :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 29, 2015 1:11 pm

Oh, I noticed that the images go with the quotes. I enjoy small stuff like that, although I must remind myself to make a point of telling that I've noticed, as only that will tell other that I saw and enjoy (thus enticing them to continue).
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri May 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Ah, right, might've mixed up the names. It's been a while, and I tend to get blurry on the details after fifty or so writers and their life stories :oops:

EDIT: if you're interested Krulle, our exposition will be open from September 30th until halfway November in the Letterkundig Museum in The Hague. It's a joint project, with about 10-15 volunteers, based on my ground work as an intern at Huygens ING.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm

Don't sweat it, I tend to blur things too, and honestly I only knew because I looked her up this morning, and remembered she started with Marx, but the she did use Marx-Koning a few times later, although it was not her name anymore..
I might be interested in having a look. but honestly, with my kids timing is extremely difficult....
I would be more interesting in visiting You, honestly.
(naast CS?)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri May 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Well, Letterkundig does have a great childrens book section, so it could be fun for them too. Letterkundig is indeed next to CS, in the same building as the royal library.

We still have that thing going about meeting in A'dam at some point, maybe that's a good opportunity to meet up? If not, I'll have plenty of time coming months to come over at your place.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 29, 2015 2:19 pm

I'll see if I have a chance one of the next weekends, or over summer maybe.
I'm passing close by twice a day, but by car, ...
Usually I try to avoid DH citycentre.
https://www.huygens.knaw.nl/corresponde ... _expanded/? Sounds interesting...

I'm still trying to keep the A'dam weekend free, but with the family situation I will have to invest time to get my mother-in-law out of her house....
Last edited by Krulle on Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm

In that case my home would be more suitable, which is not in the Hague but reasonably close. I do suspect that this conversation is more suited in PM though :P

jllmechengr
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by jllmechengr » Fri May 29, 2015 6:54 pm

I don't see myself having time to read everything that was ever written here, so I'll just have to start fresh and be clueless to what others are referring to for a while... ;)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri May 29, 2015 7:08 pm

I don't think anybody has read every post in this thread, except for maybe a few of the old-timers. Don't sweat it. Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get along fine.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 pm

I haven't read everything either.
And welcome!

(Programming is and has always been the perfect combination of theory and practice:
In theory it should work, but no-one knows why in practice it does not
-or-
The code does work, but no-one knows why.)

Flint_A
Remains Silent

Post by Flint_A » Sat May 30, 2015 1:29 am

I'm basically here just in case there's important discussion the Kickstarter Meanwhile thingy. I love Goblins, but I don't love forums.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 am

Don't worry.
lurkers are just as welcome!

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Krulle wrote:Yeah, I noticed too another slow down since the update schedule picked up slightly.
Don't know why though.
It strikes us as a tragic irony - more comics, less discussion of them. :sulk:
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

EternityWarrior
Remains Silent

Post by EternityWarrior » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 am

With any luck, it will be the case that enough time has finally passed for no one to remember me.
:shifty:
Are any of you old snotlingers?
If you're an undercover snotlinger you have to tell me, it's the law you know.

Maunzinator
Remains Silent

Post by Maunzinator » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi,

I┬┤m David and I┬┤m here on the account of asking you all if there is a possible way to get a hardcopy of the goblins comic. It┬┤s for my girlfriends birthday, which is in September, and as I got no answer from the creator by email I hope that some Kind People from the community can Point me in the right direction.

Kind regards
Maunzi

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:52 am

There once was, but the link on the homepage is now offline.
Anyway, only books one and two have ever been printed.

I don't know what his previous shop was, so I cannot look up if they still have stock.
Google gave me no result...
But THunt does have plans to publish the third and fourth book.
He once started on preparing the third one, then it went downhill in his relation with a previous hoster / ad-affiliation, then came the Kickstarter issue, and real life, which meant he likely shelved the projects until he has the kickstarter issues solved.

So, sorry, no physical book right now.
But I'm sure with some Googling you'll find some print-on-demand service which's willing to print out the pdf-versions for you. (as a fall-back option)

Also: welcome Maunzi (David) and EternityWarrior (no, I came after Snotlingtime...)
(heh, i thought there was a group for old Snotlings, but cannot find it anymore...)

Maunzinator
Remains Silent

Post by Maunzinator » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:15 am

Thx, well then it will be print on demand, sadly. I had this idea before... buying the pdf and then going to another business to print it, but I wanted to have the original publisher of the comics benefit from my money and not somebody else. But if that┬┤s how it it is... then it┬┤s how it is :-)