The Great Goblins Food Exchange!

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

The Great Goblins Food Exchange!

Post by CooksACarrot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 am

Given the interest in food expressed in one of the threads during the Great Goblins Update Freeze of 2014, I felt it important to give us a space to keep sharing once that place slowly comes to a close. Therefore, I hereby inaugurate the Great Goblins Food Exchange, a place to post recipes, information, or to ask questions of people from other parts of the world about those things we always wondered about.
Look! A Distraction!
-William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister, Ninja

Guus
Floods your Ears

Re: The Great Goblins Food Exchange!

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 am

Did you throw a bottle at the thread to officially open it?

So let's start out with a question! What are you eating tonight?
Me: lasagna, made by a good friend of mine. It's tasty, fresh and works really well with a cold beer!
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Kennerly
Mutters to Themself

Post by Kennerly » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Rotini and tomato sauce and stir-fry vegetables.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm having Panack.

The super lazy panack variety that involves little more than me needing to throw corned beef and tinned vegetable soup at some potatoes I cooked up.
(I did, however, use up the last of my carrots and onions from the fridge and cooked them up alongside the potatoes, and that's proven rather nice.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:45 pm

I made this "Flourless chocolate cake" for my niece's birthday. It's not the dense, fudgy thing typically called a flourless chocolate cake. Instead, it's whipped eggs with chocolate folded in (which is more or less a chocolate mousse) and then baked. You're supposed to do it in a springform pan, which is good advice. Even with nonstick spray on a nonstick pan, it was not easy to get out. But I had batter left over which I put in muffin papers.

Really, it's something between a meringue and a souffle. And you can make it with a bag of chocolate chips. (Though if you do, you might want to cut down on the extra sugar; there's already plenty in the semisweet chocolate.) If you use foil muffin papers, it's actually relatively easy to unwrap (paper is a lot trickier, but still works). It was really good. Chocolately and chewy, and, because of the amount of air you can whip into the eggs, you end up with portions that are a lot less caloric than you'd expect. If you have a good mixer to whip the eggs for you, the whole thing is really easy to make.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:54 am

I had homemade lasagne last night!

Tonight I worked late and had Burger King on the way home....
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:04 am

Last night I had chinese food from the takeaway - chicken skewers with peanut satay sauce and some spring rolls, plus a small carton of fried rice which I didn't eat and am therefore going to have for lunch.

Today I'm having chicken, bacon, gruyere cheese and leek bakes (it's just chicken wrapped in bacon topped with leeks and cheese!) with potatoes and, if I can be bothered to find some, broccoli.

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 am

Guus wrote:Did you throw a bottle at the thread to officially open it?

So let's start out with a question! What are you eating tonight?
Me: lasagna, made by a good friend of mine. It's tasty, fresh and works really well with a cold beer!
I'm making a meatloaf with sage and parsley.
Look! A Distraction!

nameneeded
Mutters to Themself

Post by nameneeded » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 am

Making red thai curry with goat/ lamb (depends what I find first at the grocer) and coconut rice tonight. :) For dinner it will be OK. For lunch tomorrow it will be awesome as the flavours coalesce. ;)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 am

Good thinking!
I am eating a Dutch specialty today, named "kliekjes".
Translated in English it means left-overs. Yay.

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:30 am

I tried this in another thread to try and break come tension, but after a few posts it failed to gain traction. I still think it is pretty interesting, and maybe it will work better here. Where are people from and what kind of strange flavours of potato chips (or anything else, for that matter), can you get that you don't think are available elsewhere?

I'm from Ontario, Canada. We have Dill Pickle, Ketchup, and Sour Cream and Bacon as regular flavours.

Lay's did a contest last year where people were able to suggest flavours, and they would make four of them (They are doing it again this year). They chose Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup (I never got the chance to try them), Caesar Salad (actually really good), Fully Loaded Pierogi (too salty, but good otherwise) and Maple Moose (some kind of horrible dry maple barbeque rub, yeech).

Everyone I spoke to said the Maple Moose was disgusting, but it somehow managed to win. I think it was probably just the novelty factor, and no one ever actually finished a bag.

So what is available in other parts of the world?
Look! A Distraction!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:41 am

Hmmm...

DK: We have the Ketchup here to, from Lays. and alsy from Lays Vinegar chips (not to my taste)
Then we have Kim's WIP chips: Cheddar, bacon, spareribs and bbq. (yep, all in one) a bit much, but tasty in small amounts.
sour-cream and dill. I don't like dill except to fish.

I Think that is it...
-Best regards LAYF

nameneeded
Mutters to Themself

Post by nameneeded » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:28 am

Not a big chip person (Lays original w. herb spice dip) but have seen some interesting flavours on shelves like Buffalo Hot wing with blue cheese. Basically two different flavoured chips in one bag. A doritos thing as I recall. A company had Cracked Pepper kettle chips on the shelves for a while.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm still a die-hard Prawn Cocktail fan.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:31 pm

I post here to remind me to ignore this thread. I'm now super hungry, and doesn't have anything good in the fridge. (And it's too late to go shopping.)

Well played, guys & gals, well played.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:44 pm

I know that feeling. I went to the shop on my way home today, then while I was there I decided I'd got lots of perfectly good food in the freezer, so I didn't buy much (some ginger ale, some oreo cookies and a newspaper actually) - then when I got in, I promptly forgot to actually get anything out of the freezer. So I ended up having a tortilla wrap with ketchup on it for dinner >.>

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:51 pm

nameneeded wrote:Not a big chip person (Lays original w. herb spice dip) but have seen some interesting flavours on shelves like Buffalo Hot wing with blue cheese. Basically two different flavoured chips in one bag. A doritos thing as I recall. A company had Cracked Pepper kettle chips on the shelves for a while.
I had those Doritos, they were surprisingly good.
Look! A Distraction!

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:42 am

I did try a guacamole dip last week to go with Doritos, I'm not a fan. Hot dip sauce however, now THAT'S tasty!

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:12 am

For me, hot sauce can either taste great or like crap. Tabasco, for instance, adds heat but tastes like burning, salty garbage water. Frank's adds a nice flavour, but I love the smokey flavour of a Chipotle sauce (and it isn't carcinogenic like liquid smoke :) )
Look! A Distraction!

pmos
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by pmos » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:00 am

Speaking of salty garbage water (or the possibility thereof), I was just reading that Soylent will be shipping soon. Anyone trying it? Anyone made their own?
I like chewing too much, I think, but I'm curious.

In terms of chips, I'm a big fan of Crab Chips. They're coated in Old Bay, a kind of salty/spicy mixed seasoning popular with various types of seafood and other foods in the Chesapeake Bay region. (The spice is really good in deviled eggs!)

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 pm

I don''t remember which company it was, I think it was Lays, had three flavors out in a competition two or three years ago. Srirachi, Chicken and Maple Syrup, and Cheesy Garlic Bread. I didn't much like the chicken and maple syrup, the srirachi was okay but too spicy for my taste, but oh lords the cheesy garlic bread was awesome.
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 am

Oooh, a while back I had a MASSIVE indonesion rice table, with all kinds of exotic dishes. It was delicious, I ate until I was literally unwell for an hour and a crime to all dieting methods in the world, but ooooh did I love it.
How it's possible that I'm not obese is probably one of the most curious questions in the universe, on par with a certain question that has 42 as an answer.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:13 pm

I have to make a mid-winter Christmas meal for 20 people, thankfully I am only charged with the meat at this stage. What do people suggest for 20 people? How much?

I was considering a pork belly, but that might be too expensive. So maybe a whole 8-10 pound pork shoulder, or a rib roast? I kinda want to steer away from the typical turkey or chicken, and ham is also too expensive.
► Show Spoiler