Minecraft Server for Goblins, perhaps?

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Minecraft Server for Goblins, perhaps?

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 pm

I apologize beforehand if "asking for donations" for a community thing like this is illegal for the forums. I can't recall if it is or not.

I've been looking at Minecraft Realms (with its 10 people max limit on a server) and other ideas, and I've decided I'd like to start a Minecraft server for the Goblins community. However, I cannot afford it on my own for any long term period; this server idea would come together through the actions of its members. This means I'm basically asking for donations to hunt for a good server host (to bypass the 10 player limit of Realms). If we have less than ten people interested, then I'd get a Minecraft Realm at $62 for 6 months (that's $6 per person if ten people chip in...); If more, then the amount of donations would suggest the size of the server...

It would be running 1.8, vanilla. No mods to speak of (because I don't know a thing about them, an experienced modder might have suggestions, maybe?), just a SMP server. I don't like McMMO or any of those town-based land protection things --- if you can't defend your land you've got no right to keep it! ;) I do enjoy raiding or hunting for bases, so PVP would be active within 300K of spawn (if you're not into having PvP on, I can just teleport you beyond that and I'll use McEdit or something to put up a bedrock border marking between pvp and no pvp). However, I am also going to be building large villages 200K from Spawn in all possible directions. So if you manage to reach or claim one of those (which will be -stocked- with supplies, diamonds, donkeys and horses)... yeah.

It will be a customized world; Biome Size would be 1 (a regular game is 4, large biomes is 6). This makes it extremely rare for structures to appear and are therefore that much more valuable if found and not butchered (and all but makes villages and ocean monuments nonexistant). Rivers wider than normal (width 5 as opposed to the normal 4). Sea Level 60 (as opposed to 64), Dungeon Count would be 100 instead of 7 (it checks 100 times as opposed to 7 to place a dungeon in a given chunk). If people prefer, I'll set Biome Size to the maximum of 8 instead so villages and other structures spawn easier.

So, what kind of interest do I have here? Enough to make a Minecraft Realm worthwhile, or perhaps something bigger?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Minecraft Server for Goblins, perhaps?

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 am

Asking for donations is fine, long as it's an completely optional thing- Meaning that as long as those who can't or simply aren't willing to donate are given a chance to play, you're free to ask for it here. :)

On the subject of minecraft server myself... I might be interested, but lost most interest in the game. Partially because it started to bore me, mostly because it refuses to work for me more and more. Java's been acting up for a long time, and every time I try to fix it I feel more and more like that crazy scientist in the movies that tries to bring his dead wife back to life, as I keep using more and more duct-tape.

That aside, the best solution to your issue is I believe just setting up multiple worlds on the same server. Installing MCPC+ (basic minecraft but with the option off add-ons) and a multiworld addon, you could have multiple worlds each with it's own rules. Meaning you could have a pvp world, friendly survival, even creative all on the same server. I might not be actively joining, but I'll gladly help you get that set up.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: Minecraft Server for Goblins, perhaps?

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:36 pm

I tend to be more of the engineer type rather than raider. I might be able to help advise on any mods requested as I do goof around with the Technic mod site. (If you want a good basic mod that could add some interesting details, you might look at the Aether mod). I don't know that I would be around regularly if this was done. I tend to MC when I'm having insomnia, so I would be on at weird hours.