Username Explanations

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
mnementh
Former Mod

Re: Username Explanations

Post by mnementh » Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 pm

BeanDip wrote:Guess what I was eating when I made the account? Seemed like a funny word and I didn't expect to be so active in the forums...

Given the choice I would change it or at least put a space in between the two words.
Well, now... if it was Mr BeanDip... THAT would be funny. Especially you were developing a dance modeled after Mr Bean... as opposed to Quarg's Funny Walk. :P

mnem
You'll have to forgive me; I'm tired and my associations have become rather loose of late...

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 pm

I chose my username when I was only 6. At that time, I wasn't exactly creative with names. So when I had to make an account for a game that was going to be shared between 3 people, I chose raaabr because that was the first 2 letters of our names put back-to back. (Real creative, I know :meh: ) But its stuck with me, and it's so nonsensical/random that its practically never taken as a username in any forum. Plus I can always laugh at people who try to read it and mispronounce it horribly :cheer:
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 pm

I took Kamos from Age of Mythology when I was still in Middle School. I think it was for Runescape :P.
Just kind of stuck with it ever since.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:28 pm

RJJ stands for Randy Jeremy Jameson. The 7 was just to add a touch more originality to it (so as to make sure of being able to use it) and to get around those places that need at least 4 characters in the username.

Or course, the otherwise bland and uninteresting username is rendered a touch more interesting when one learns that my actual initials are N-R-M. In my younger days, I used the name "Joram" on a few forums. I thought I'd made it up, but as it's an actual name in the real world, I was probably just dredging it out of subconscious memory. So a bit later in life, I got to thinking of what I could use instead. It was at about this time that I started thinking about becoming a writer, and so I was thinking of possible Pseudonyms. Jeremy is a name I've always liked, and it had all the same consonants as Joram. Jameson was the first lastname I could think of that began with a J. I thought Jeremy Jameson flowed pretty well, and sounded a lot better than my actual name.

Fast forward a little bit more, and I realized that if I modified my middle name a bit and stuck it on the front, I would have Randy Jeremy Jameson. Still sounded pretty good to me. But more importantly, it would give the initials R.J.J, which is an inversion of a certain fantasy author (that none of you have probably heard of) whose first three initials were J.R.R. Then of course, there was Robert Jordon and George R.R. Martin. I figured there must be some psychological association with those two letters and fantasy, and that I could use all the help I could get if I was going to become world famous.

Being older and wiser (and having actually tried writing something; blech, that's hard work), I don't care as much about Pseudonyms and all that. I figure if I can ever actually publish anything that it will be victory enough, regardless of other factors. But the name has stuck around, and I keep using it.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat May 11, 2013 7:50 pm

You could have just called yourself "the NoRM".... :mrgreen:
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm

I served as the foil with an excellent straightman in in a wonderful D&D campaign. The pair were Lyle and Corpsificus. Lyle was a lawful good cleric of Pelor. Corpsificus was a chaotic evil wizard/chain fighting pale master. She prayed to Pelor, Corpsificus robbed graves. She had an 18 CHA, he had 8. Lyle sought to heal and befriend everyone she met, he killed innocents in a way to not be caught and killed those he hated in public view. Lyle carried "sterotypical girly things" and Corpsificus carried body parts and corpses. Lyle bathed where applicable, Corpsificus rubbed graveyard dirt on himself and loathed bathing. He was a crowning achievement. He is my username here and Twitter. He was inspired by Richard from LFG, Richie Aprile and Ralph Cifaretto from the Sopranos, Joker from the Dark Knight, and Rampage from Beast Wars. I gave him a rough uneven gravelly voice inspired by Rob Zombie in tone and Peter Lorre in inflection. He always spoke at a casual volume and rarely yelled or shouted.

Such things are why I view D&D so fondly. I propose a toast to Gary Gygax for founding D&D the writers all the way to 3.5 and THunt for Goblins!

Follow the link for a right toast! (First 15 seconds) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcXlbihJilM
Misery enjoys company.

Gord_the_Rogue
Of Few Words

Post by Gord_the_Rogue » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 am

When I originally got into the internet, back in the late 90's, I was really into Shadowrun. I had been reading the novels for a bit, and I really liked the spirit "dog." I went with dog for a bit, but got tired of everyone thinking I was a "playa."

I morphed, then, into Coyote the Trickster as this was also part of my personality at the time. I used this for a bit until I took a break from internetting (I had moved and did not have access for a few years). When I came back to the internet, I had changed (read=matured), and came up with my current name.

I took Gord the Rogue from a series of Gygax novels that were out a veeerrrryyyy long time ago (ok, 1987 isn't that long ago, but it sure seems like it). Not sure if any of you have ever read them... there were several books and I never did read them all. I did, however, enjoy the heck out of the ones that I did read. It was kind of a new thought to my brain that a person could be an "honorable thief." I am kind of bummed that I didn't come up with something a little more original; I run into the problem now and then of this user name being taken already. However, seeing that I have been using it now for around 11 years, I think I will stick with it.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:10 pm

In all honesty, my username comes from the fact that I used to have aspirations of being a writer, and I like tricksters...so "lie smith" was more of a title for which I had modest hopes at one time.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 am

My RL name. It's that simple.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

fifty
Whispers Softly

Post by fifty » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Fifty was a nickname from my uni days, came from slick 50 engine oil.

I'd like to think it was because I was quick with a good answer.. but it might have been because I was scruffy and looked like a mechanic! ;D
Orbis Terrarum - British swords, sorcery & science - now on DrivethruRPG :)

Buta
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Buta » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 am

Buta (Boo-Tah) means Pig in Japanese.
Pig is an affectionate nickname of mine IRL.

'Nuff sed.

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 am

I've used a number of usernames online. The one I use here - Just Karen - came from an epiphany I had a while back. I posted about it on another site (that I can't link), so I'm copypastaing it, editing for content/comments on new information, and adding geeky commentary.

"My friends will probably notice - I just changed my name here on (this site). While I was doing that, I also changed my gender listing from "Trans - mtf" to straight F. Why? Because I'm a woman, and unless I'm sleeping with them there's no need for someone to know the status of my genitalia. {Note: I no longer fully agree with this; I don't *hide* my status, I simply don't state it. If it comes up as relevant to a discussion about another topic, I'll mention it.}

More than that, it reflects a shift in attitude for me. When I made this account, I hadn't even started my transition. It made sense to me to differentiate myself from the general public. Later, as I started the shift in public appearance, it made sense to clarify to those around me why I was a bit odd. I no longer feel the need to do so. At this point, I do not define myself - sexually or in society - as a transgender woman, but rather as a woman with a transgender history. With that in mind, why would I use a name that immediately brings that history to the fore? {The accuracy of the bolded part varies on a day to day basis. Some days it's "eh, whatever" and some days it's "oh woe is me".}

Honestly, I've wanted to change the name for months - I've changed it at most of the other social networking sites I use - but I was having trouble thinking of a witty and/or original name to use that fits the 2-15 character limit.

But you know what? I don't need a witty name, and no 16 character identifier can define me. So I'm just Karen, and the rest is up to you to find out."
"

Begin geeky commentary:
There actually is a source of the name. I wanted to use (on the other site) "Just Plain Karen", as a takeoff of "Just Plain Pavek" - a character from the Darksun "Chronicles of Athas" series. It was slightly too long, and my OCD would not allow skipping spaces between words.

Begin social commentary:
I was incredibly naive about not disclosing my status. I have had to disclose my status to doctors (of course), accountants (uhh...), lawyers (..?), *bankers* (... oh come on), and a myriad of other people that deal with legal paperwork.

Other usernames I've used, in reverse order, with their own short stories

Transkaren: Obvious, and discussed above.
Karindra: A few months before I started my transition, I transferred WoW servers. I wanted a name that was close to Karen, to get me used to answering to the name.
Viridios ("Vir"): Latin for "green, fresh, verdant man"! Perfect for a druid, even if he was a bull.
Shevaresh ("Shev"): A long running name; I'd used it for close to a decade in gaming circles. Based on Shevarash of "Forgotten Realms", the God of slaughtering drow.
Talona ("Tal"): My character on the WoW server was a Warlock. Talona's the goddess of curses (and poison) in Forgotten Realms. Warlocks use curses as their primary weapon. Wife was Loviatar the Paladin, back when Blood Elves were torturing the power out of the Naaru. (Loviatar being a Forgotten Realms goddess of pain).
Tzenn. Jewel Dawnchaser: Tzenn was my wife's character; she hated EVE and gave her account to me. Jewel was my favorite character from an old D&D game; a wild mage (2e) that had a life's goal of "mastering every spell in every reality". Long-running game - the character semi-retired, and as an Elf was effectively immortal - so she actually managed to make a pretty good dent in the list (full PHB, plus most of the other core & forgotten realms sourcebooks except the encylcopedic ones.)
Dragonbait: Named after a character from Forgotten Realms. Never did a whole bunch with it.

nitehawke
Remains Silent

Post by nitehawke » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 am

NiteHawke was my old 'hacker handle' over 30 years ago. The hacker retired in the late 80's or early 90's, and when I started using the internet a few years later, I chose to bring the name out of retirement as my user ID most places.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:52 pm

[Random Mode]

And here I thought you was just a fan of Plankton's computer wife. ;)

"Welcome back "to the nuthouse babe; male, female, can't-quite-make-up-your-mind-yet... it ain't no thang in here. We're crazy tolerant like that. o:)

[/Random mode]

mnem
FYI, we also have a Twoll-Flaming Dwagon who can be rented hourly for certain quantities of chocolate. :mrgreen:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:22 am

I've had quite a few usernames around the internet, though on these forums I've stuck to Dlover for consistency's sake. Basically, all of my usernames revolve around canines. Dog-guy, Foreverwolf, Hounder, and so on. I decided on this name to be used most often because it was rather short, better than Dog Lover, and for some reason it just seems to click. I can also use it to judge the maturity level of the community, so I can decide whether or not I want to be involved.

On another note, I briefly considered 'Hounded Soul' or 'Forever Hounded' after the crashes, but in the end I chose to be consistent and avoid confusion. Sure, they sound cooler at first, but it would get old pretty quick, and the confusion wouldn't be worth it.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:06 am

Greetings.
I have a bunch of nicknames but for forums and the like I usually use "Strider" or (if that's already taken) "St.Rider" or (if both are unavailable) "Ronin". On a "Goblins" forum (was it the first? Or the second? Not sure.) the first variant was not available so I went with the second. And in this iteration of the forum I just picked the name I already used in "Goblins" discussions.
Now for the origins... well, it could be a reference to J.R.R. Tolkien's character (I didn't know about him at the time I first picked it though). Or to a certain character of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (though I was already using the name at the time of its release). Choose the interpretation you like, to some degree they might be considered correct.
For me it's just a representation of neutrality - not "Vysogota of Corvo" (detached from the world) type but rather "Geralt of Rivia" type.
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

HennaGaijin
Of Few Words

Post by HennaGaijin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:42 am

Yello :)
I've mentioned on a couple of other threads that I'm studying Japanese - my name means strange foreigner in Japanese - I was (I hope fondly) given it as a nickname last year when I stayed in Japan by my Japanese friends because I tend to get a little hyper sometimes ^_^
I also go by littleme36 in other areas of t'interwebs, which is just cos I'm shortish and fairly petite (as well as blessed with a lot of very tall friends), and 36 is just a number I like! I have also been emmarara36 but I don't think I actually have anything I use that for anymore.
(bonus material: The pic was drawn for me by a friend who decided based on my vaguely pointy teeth that I was actually a vampire. As these kind of things do, it quickly escalated until I became a venomous midget vampire (she's one of my very tall friends) venomousmidgetvampire was nearly my usename on here but it was too long :( )
*Insert witty signature here*

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Alright, I'll post.

Aegis is just the name of the character my current "furry internet persona" has. He's a member of these bastards: http://www.freewebs.com/ihalon/TheHeroes.png (the original picture my icon is from is ten times that size at 2000x2000+ pixels, http://www.freewebs.com/ihalon/Heroes%20Deluxe.png ).

*prods the rest of you guys to go play in his Civilization V game in the games forum* :P
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Andrew wrote:Despite what one may think, Andrew is not my real name. Andrew comes from my Second Life account name "Andrew Montagne", which I chose on a whim at the age of 12. It has stuck with me ever since, following me everywhere on the internets from forums to EVE.
Consider yourself friended, just because.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

whelk
Remains Silent

Post by whelk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:00 pm

I've always loved and been intrigued by the aquatic world. One year my mom got me a plush sea snail for Christmas, and it was (and still is) one of my most prized possessions. I took a particular fondness for sea snails, and started using the "seasnails" handle for various online accounts and whatnot.

A co-worker once said "Gruuu ..." in a work chat and I replied with, "Whatever, whelk" and he was astounded that I got the reference, and called me Whelk after that. Seemed appropriate given my fondness for sea snails, so as my various old 'seasnails' accounts have expired or become osolete, I've been using 'whelk' for any new accounts I need to set up.

When I occasionally want to credit something to myself or do something under a "company" I do it under the company name Contrarium, as in "busycon contrarium", scientific name for the lightning whelk.

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I now imagine whelk as a giant snail, typing on they keyboard with little facial tentacles.
l

Steelhaven evolved out of several places. I have a fascination with machinery and things made out of metal. Steel, in particular, has many uses and is known for its general strength and versatility. I had an old Exalted character, based around the concept of a Protector, by the name of Iron Sigil. Sigil meaning symbol, but also being the name of the central city in Planescape. Haven, then, being a place of protection. A steel haven also being somewhat reminiscent of the Fallout Vaults, and also reminiscent of the Brotherhood of Steel from fallout. (Fallout being my favorite game setting just after Planescape and just before Exalted.)

I'm not certain why I'm considering myself a location now, but I've always had a hard time with internet names. It seemed better than any other random concept I normally would have used.
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:01 am

If being a location is something you find you enjoy, you might have a future as one of the Gentry in Changeling the Lost....
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Steelhaven
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Twelvth

Post by Steelhaven » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 am

You have no idea how much that concept actually appeals to me, haha.
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:29 pm

See also my favorite Green Lantern villain, "Ranx, the Sentient City". (Who was very poorly written in its first full appearance...it was much better existing as just a name in an Alan Moore short.)
My long-neglected blog.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:32 am

Sonuvacrap... you just awakened a long-dormant memory of my "Heavy Metal" and "OMNI" magazine days; guess I'm going to have to add "Ranxerox" to my list of "Old comics I need to look up again"...

mnem
[RANDOM MODE]

"Dammit Cap'n... we're fresh out of Dilithium, and old comic books will only provide impulse power until the ink is all consumed; we need an away mission!"

[/RANDOM MODE]