Dungeons and Dragons the Animated Series

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Gord_the_Rogue
Of Few Words

Dungeons and Dragons the Animated Series

Post by Gord_the_Rogue » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 pm

So I was in Walmart the other day when something caught my eye as I was walking by. I don't normally look in the discount DVD bins, but I found a copy of the first 9 episodes of the old 80's cartoon, Dungeons and Dragons ($3!!!!).

My first thought was, "please oh please don't let the episode about 'you will know Venger by his white hare' be on here" (when I was a kid, it seemed like this episode was on at least once a month... when you only get cartoons on Saturday mornings, and you spend the whole week looking forward to it, seeing the same episode over and over again was like a punch in the face). First episode: Venger's white hare (not the name of the episode, but it might as well be) :sulk:

Anyway, I will be on the lookout for anymore DVD's (I am thinking there must be 2 more, this one is titled "The Beginning"). Anyone else like/watch this show (as a kid or as re-runs)?

Any episodes stick out in your mind as being awesome? I can personally recall only a few. I always loved the one where sleeping children were being taken to work in some demon's factory/mine. Come to think of it, that one was pretty darn scary. There was also the one about the dragon's egg that was stolen, and there was a giant beanstalk or tower involved. The only other one I can recall is the episode with the spaceship, and the children from another planet.

ThroughTheWell

Re: Dungeons and Dragons the Animated Series

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:07 am

The entire series is available on DVD on amazon, including the never aired last episode. Worth it IMHO.

I've not vetted that version, but at least one version had it all.

Some of the comments at amazon mention 2 versions:
BCI, 5 disc set, had altered music, the unaired eppisode, and some extras like a booklet on the character stats and magic item stats.
Mill Creek Entertainment , 3 disc set, original music, ???

The BCI version is now 'unavailable'. Try, try, to make sure you get the last unaired episode. It is so worth it. Though, you can read the script online if you hunt hard enough.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... MyOWVmODJl
It is called Requiem. http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.&ei= ... IwBENUCKAI
Looks like some of the first links there give you the audio.

The Dragon's Graveyard stands out in my memory, as well as the girl who dreamed tomorrow. Both yank on your emotions.

http://www.dungeonsdragonscartoon.com/ looks like a huge resource, with what I'd call spoilers though.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Gord_the_Rogue
Of Few Words

Re: Dungeons and Dragons the Animated Series

Post by Gord_the_Rogue » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Wow! I had no idea that there was a never aired episode. I just thought it was kind of cool to see the cartoon in a cheap bin. I will read that script later when I have more time. Thanks for posting the info!!

Edit:

Checked out the prices on Amazon, and then thought I would do a Walmart search. Not only is the 3 disc available there, but I was super surprised to see that you can also buy D&D gaming books from Walmart! I had absolutely no idea that you could purchase the gaming books there! Crazy (and off topic).

I might just pick up the 3 disk set, it is only $5 (which is kind of a bummer when you consider that I just spent $3 on the first disk... maybe I can return it and get all 3 disks for just $2 more).