Kickstarter advertisement: Yea or Nay!

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
boneguard
Of Few Words

Kickstarter advertisement: Yea or Nay!

Post by boneguard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 am

I'm fully aware that this forum is about Goblins and all thing Goblins Related -well mostly- but I'm sure I'm not the only one taking part in Kickstarters.

So I was wondering what was the Forum's position about Kickstarter adventisement. Allowed or not? If if they are allowed in what format?

Rather then individual threads for each kickstarters, we could -IF they are allowed- have 1 thread dedicated to Kickstarters and were we could put on a link to said kickstarter and maybe put a brief description. If people are interested, they go and look, if not, then they ignore it.

Again what I,m wondering is what is the official forum's policy.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Kickstarter advertisement: Yea or Nay!

Post by LAYF » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 am

In the rules Here
Under ÔÇ£In GeneralÔÇØ position 11:

11. No advertising without prior authorization from THunt. Exceptions below:
o Your own webcomic.
o Asking for commissions for your own artwork. (All commissions should go in the Artist's Alley subforum.

Best Regards -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:44 am

It is a bit unfortunate I think. If one is not 'associated' with a kickstarter project, but merely a fan, then like many things we share, it seems that there ought to be a 'nice' way to share. We explicitly mention competing webcomics that we like, for example. I think a thread devoted to kickstarters would not be out of reasonable bounds. It would not be SPAM. People interested in following other people's interest would volontarily read the last few entries. I don't consider that a high pressure sales tactic at all.

Multiple threads would seem too much though, as well as post by people with a financial interest. But forum regulars posting ocasionaly? I guess I'd like to see the rule changed, or hear more arguments why not.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 am

Well, Thunt has said he wants to allow anything that helps promote other artists. so...
If it is your own kickstarter, and it is artistic work, that is okay, as long as you don't spam the entire forum. Keep it in Artist's Alley, as, If it fits in there, its okay.
In base you can say, is it something you have made,not something you resell? have you gone through a creative progress?

If You are in doubt, there are the Art - What is it? Thread in controversy...
Or, you can PM me a link and I'll look at it, If I'm in doubt' I'll ask the other mods and admins and we will give you a collective answer :)

Best Regards -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

I remember in the old forum someone mentioning a kickstarter, which was about a company trying to make plastic, paintable figures for whatever fantasy setting they were making. I think it was in a well-funded state and by the time I checked it, you got about 200 figures for about 100$, which sounded awesome even with the extra cost of shipping fee...

Of course I did not pledge as I lacked the money and the dedication, but it was a thing totally worth checking (the figures were awesome). My point is, I tend to think of Kickstarter as a real life Deviant Art, in the sense that it's not only artists who show their (will be) products, but movie makers, engineers, game creators, hobby artisans, etc. - There is no obligatory participation, neither blantant advertising... you check it out and decide whether you are interested, kind of like a webcomic, as TTW said.

That being said, since it is still about money and advertising to a degree, I think one topic in the Communities would be sufficient and would do no harm at all. However, posting about kickstarters all-around the forum would be indeed just spamming and thus punished. I'm nowhere near to being a forum mod, just my 2 cents. :)

p.s.: One could ask Thunt the next time on live feed, or something, just to make sure, though.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:03 pm

We are currently talking about the subject with the other mods and admins. Will report back when we have reached a conclusion.
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

The Kickstarter L&S is talking about is one that I think both Maiandra and I funded in the end, by Reaper Miniatures. It just got delivered - I'm sitting on a big ol' box of plastic minis right now. Not literally, of course. But we were talking about it in "Random Chatter" rather than in a thread that could be considered advertising.

I like Kickstarter, but I might not look at a Kickstarter thread very often (if the mods did agree to one being set up) purely because I'd end up pledging too much money! :)

boneguard
Of Few Words

Post by boneguard » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

I'm glad to see that the Mod/admin looks into it...even if the answer is a resounding "NO!" or "You can only advertize your own kickstarter." Either way, I'll respect their decision because at the end it is advertizing something non-goblins related.

A single dedicated thread would be the best solution to avoid massive spamming -which is far from what I would like to have.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:52 pm

lol boneguard - that's exactly what I proposed in the Mod thread earlier!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:19 am

Hay Everyone... The Mod's and Admins have reached a conclusion.. and you now have a thread for Kickstarters... It can be found Here
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks Mods! As you can see, I put up a kickstarter that I think is worthy and interesting. Thanks again!
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.