Kickstarters worth sharing

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Kickstarters worth sharing

Post by WearsHats » Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Not exactly a Kickstarter, but it is a place where you can spend money in an effort to give what amounts to a crowdfunded boost to research into curing diabetics (like me). It's a month-long auction hosted by professional novelist Brenda Novak, so there are all sorts of things for readers and would-be authors. Ebook readers, signed books, advanced copies of books not yet on the market, help from professional book agents, help from professional book editors, and so on. Also, jewelery, exotic vacations, and all sorts of other neat random things. You can check it out here:

http://brendanovak.auctionanything.com/
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat May 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Is it cool to share Indiegogo projects? Because this is the most brilliant thing I've seen in... pretty much ever.

Solar Roadways.
Solar panels that you can drive, park, and walk on. They melt snow and... cut greenhouse gases by 75-percent?!!!
And like they say in the video, putting these on all the roadways = jobs for people in every part of the world that has roads. 8)

__
Also, I still want that Goblins/Erfworld/OotS T-shirt, damn it. I should have bought it back when it was out. That's how I found Goblins in the first place, when Rich Burlew had the shirt posted at Giant in the Playground approximately 1000 years ago. Oh, well. Who knew.

Avistew
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Avistew

Post by Avistew » Sun May 11, 2014 1:31 am

They're probably out of the shirts since it's been what... 8 years by now? Something like that. But if I remember, the author of Erfworld was the one who was shipping them. Maybe you can contact him through his website or something and ask if there are any left?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Space Happens, a feminist scifi comedy web series. Looks interesting, but they've got a long way to go and only a few days left to get there.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat May 31, 2014 9:40 am

Illustrated geek cookbook includes a bunch of fandom-inspired recipes that you can make at home without any special equipment.

► Show Spoiler

NathanGPLC
Remains Silent

Post by NathanGPLC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 am

Shameless plug!
Hi, all; I'm a long time lurker, and I did, in fact, just now make my account to make this post. I'm not proud of it, but I wanted to be up front about that.

I'm just a random fan, but I'm also a long-time gamer, and I'm launching a Kickstarter of my own, for a deck of cards meant to help create and run stories for RPGs. The reason I'm posting this here is because I actually beta-tested them by running a Goblins RPG for myself (they work as a solo game engine, so a GM can use them in a traditional RPG, or you can use them to run a game with no GM, like an open-ended adventure game book with a bit more creativity involved).

I've been working on the cards since 2006, around when I was freelancing as a game writer for the Serenity, Battlestar Galactica, Demon Hunters, and Cortex RPG books. Around 2007, I ran a year-long Goblins game for myself, wherein the goblin Falls-from-Trees defended his homeland from marauding honeybadgers. It was silly, but it was a lot of fun, and so while putting together this Kickstarter, I thought: I should at least tell the folks here that the comic helped me beta-test!

So please, if it sounds interesting, check it out! I'll probably go back to lurking again, but I'm happy to answer questions, and I'm also clearly interested in Goblins-related RPGs...

I apologize for being one of those guys who creates an account just to self-promote. /shamelessplug
~Nathan Rockwood

fifty
Whispers Softly

Post by fifty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Quick Orbis Terrarum update for Goblins fans that supported or showed interest in our Kickstarter!

We're finally done, the books have been sent out to the backers and we're on Drivethru RPG in PDF format and soon print on demand! :cheer:

Orbis Terrarum RPG

We're now working on the next addition to the set - A city setting source book that we hope will be out before the end of this year.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement guys 8)
Orbis Terrarum - British swords, sorcery & science - now on DrivethruRPG :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:20 am

Does the concept "Buffy the Vampire Slayer crossed with Rosie the Riveter as WWII comes to a close" sound intriguing? You might be interested in The Redeemer Chronicles.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:27 pm

(Am I the only one using this thread?)

This time, it's personal.

A prominent sleep expert (she literally invented the type of sleep study I had this year) is doing research into the genetics of sleep. It's an important subject about which we know so little.

Obviously, it means a lot to me. I'd really like to see it funded.

https://experiment.com/projects/can-sle ... e-function

► Show Spoiler

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:18 pm

OK all this one I am sure you already heard about but just in case.

It's created by The Oatmeal and he's working with the guys from cards against humanity. No frills no "extra special" add-ons so at it's current funding level I can't help but see how it won't ship.

Sounds like a heck of a fun game and at $40 (shipped to Canada) it's in my budget for sure.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:04 am

Okay, as a big fan of The Ur-Quan Masters I got the attention of this project, in which a single developer develops a space exploration game.
The game-play is non-linear (there are many things to do, and the order is chosen by you, and can therefore differ from game to game).

Have a look for yourself:
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

GameNightLife
Remains Silent

Post by GameNightLife » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:01 am

I happen to like this kickstarter for mats. Mostly because my friends and I decided to do this after many years of mild frustration with other mats. (It's our kickstarter! :lol: )
Basically it's modular mats that completely fill any size or shape table, work with any kind of marker, and are super durable.

There's a 1-minute video that shows 'em in action.

It's pretty simple and to the point, the way gaming stuff should be, really.
We started our Kickstarter campaign at about midnight CST last night.

If you like it, make sure to comment! Or if you have questions, let us know. We'd be happy to answer! And thanks. :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:26 am

The kickstarter looks interesting! I wish you the best of luck - It's a shame that it's much harder to get things funded then it used to be... I won't be able to pledge though I'm afraid - 75 is a bit much to get the international shipping. :(

GameNightLife
Remains Silent

Post by GameNightLife » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 am

M0rtimer wrote:The kickstarter looks interesting! I wish you the best of luck - It's a shame that it's much harder to get things funded then it used to be... I won't be able to pledge though I'm afraid - 75 is a bit much to get the international shipping. :(
Well, if you can get a group of people in your part of the world together, we may be able to add a new reward tier. Like if you get a gaming or hobby shop over there to do sign ups, we might be able to send a huge order (like, hundreds) and you could have the hobby shop divide them with how many you ordered.

Thank thanks for the encouraging word! We really wish we could ship these for less, but...we can't find any place that does it for less than the USPS (United States Postal System).

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah, shipping out of the continental USA has always been prohibitive. I've struggled to find the spare finances to get in on several previous kickstarters exactly because of that.

gilleyvanweirden
Mutters to Themself

Post by gilleyvanweirden » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Here's my own Kickstarter - my very first (20 days to go and already approaching the first stretch goal!):

It's for my pirate-themed "Rime of the Pirate King" print. This is perhaps the most effort I've ever put into a drawing, taking some 80 hours to complete. I'm releasing it exclusively through Kickstarter instead of my own online store in an attempt to increase my exposure for the long term as well as sell prints in the short term:

The sum of the work is a lot more than the captain's skull as there are a lot of crazy details, such as cursed doubloons:

...lusty porpoises:

...and mellow jellies, among other things:

There are even a number of easter eggs that may or may not have something to do with wars that occur among stars, Lovecraftian horrors, and murderous crustaceans. It was an effort, but adding the little details allowed for a lot of creativity.

The print is being released in 8.5" x 11" mini-print, 13" x 19" full-sized and 13" x 19" gilded editions. I'm also selling a collector's pack (already sold!) and the framed original artwork. There's a lot to learn when doing a Kickstarter, a lot of which involves making it visible. I hope you guys like it, and I'd appreciate spreading the word if you could. :)

Cheers!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:06 pm

I was huge fan of Arcanum, as I've mentioned elsewhere... there is a Kickstarter that launched today that is the spiritual successor to Arcanum, and looks like a fun game. Check it out and consider funding!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:25 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Eh, I don't know... I mean the game sounds interesting enough on itself, but articles like that always put me a bit off from the game... I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for stuff like that... But... I guess it might just be based on not so good experiences from it in the past? Like sure, they say they have characters with different sexuality, sure, they're not lying about it, but more often than not it feels... Forced, you know? Like you have a guy mention once "Oh, I'm actually gay" and then it never gets brought up again. More often than not it feels like those things are shoehorned in just to be able to say that they're being progressive.

No complaints when it's done well off course... (To think back to my time playing Mass Effect 3, there was this one guy working in the shuttle bay who's "lover" had died in the alien attack, and you could help support him through the grief he was having as he was essentially working himself to death... And as you do, it does become clear that he's gay and can become a possible companion, but he's not there as a "Oh yeah, I can be a gay lover if you want" option as more as you can help this guy out option... At least it didn't feel that way) But reading articles like that makes me feel like, "well, it's nice and all, but I don't think that should be the game's main selling point."

I guess I shouldn't dis on it too much though, since even if it is rather shoehorned in, that should be the least of my worries while it looks like a decent game... I mean I have more actual issues with it being episodic than anything else.

Anyways, what I really wanted to say before I got off into a rant here... You might want to check out pillars of eternity! From the looks of it, they're very similar in caliber... Pillars of Eternity being one of the most succesful kickstarters ever, by Obsidian Entertainment... I never actually played Arcanum though (although I've been playing the hell out of Pillars of Eternity) so sorry if they're nowhere near the same. :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:38 pm

It's not really something I need out of games either, I think the person writing this article just homed in on that as an indication that the game is set up to allow you open ended character building.

As far as the episodic nature of it, I think that is more due to it being produced by a small independent developer than anything else, they are then able to do a kickstarter to fund the first episode, which can serve as a proof of concept and open up their ability to secure funding to develop and produce the remaining episodes (which would be likely less costly to make per episode, once the game engine, etc. are already developed for).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:03 am

Hey guys just popping in to let you know that I recently (5 minutes ago) launched my own kickstarter for a game I've been working on for the last few months.

Hope you all will take a look and let me know what you think and/or donate.
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:16 pm

A few days remaining on this Arcanum/Fallout inspired game... Project Resurgence.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:33 am

Hey all
I'm a big fan of A online mini series called JourneyQuest and they have just a few day left for their season 3 Kickstarter. Please help support this, This company help me get so many friends into gaming with The Gamers movie set of movies.

They release all their things under an open license so you can watch it all for free on you tube, but the story isn't finished an it over if not backed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zo ... 3/comments
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Today, I noticed, that one of the comics I am reading (Misfile) is advertising a kick-starter to have their artist make some of their past art coloured and I thought I might share the link. They are about 500 $ short and still have 20 hours to go currently.
Perhaps someone who reads this forum is interested in the rewards.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Matt Colville has a youtube channel where he shares his thoughts from many years of DMing. He's publishing a 5e supplement on Strongholds and Followers, that was fully funded in its first half hour of being active...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler