Lore-heavy games?

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Pillbug
Remains Silent

Lore-heavy games?

Post by Pillbug » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:27 am

Hello! I have only been around a little bit, so I'm not sure if I should have introduced myself first... but! That is not what this topic is for, which you probably guessed already.

I would really like to get into a tabletop group, but more than that I'd like to play a game that's really big on lore. Not just as flavor text, either; I mean in the sense that you might have to know about the etiquette expected of a Dwarven ambassador(as an example). Combat is fine and fun, and what I've dipped my toes into I've enjoyed, but what I'd really like is something meaty, where you'd have to know more than that X monster has Y weakness. I'm sure there are plenty of them! However, I am still in the larval stage of tabletop and so I don't know what they would be. This is the first place I thought of in terms of where to look, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations here. Then it just becomes a case of "who the heck plays this where I live."

Also, if this is the wrong forum, I will provide a meaty cut of uncooked brisket for you to beat me with(and hopefully the post can then be redirected to the correct place).

ThroughTheWell

Re: Lore-heavy games?

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:45 am

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a game where the player needs to know the Lore. Most games can get abstracted a bit down to numbers. Having said that, Merchant of Venus has funny non-essential lore, IMHO. And you could look at a few of willpell's threads/posts where he playes a game solo and types up the results (LOTR the card game, some sinbad-ish type game, some horror-ish type game). Maybe you'd see something there you liked. And finaly, I'd be remis if I did not point you to http://boardgamegeek.com/ . You may be able to craft a search or do some research there to find the style of game you are looking for. Let us know what you find. :)
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.