Jade Teapot: Which Reality?

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
onigame
Remains Silent

Jade Teapot: Which Reality?

Post by onigame » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:02 pm

Has it been explained how the Jade Teapot interacts with the different realities? Since the Jade Teapot can't have been in the Maze of Many since its creation, it must have originally been in one of the realities before it was brought into the MoM. Which reality was it from? If you teleport with it from the MoM, do you end up in your own reality, or the reality the teapot is from? Why aren't there hundreds of teapots in the MoM, one from every reality currently running it?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Jade Teapot: Which Reality?

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

I would guess that since you're probably trying to teleport to someone in your reality, that's where you would go. But no, I don't think there's been any kind of official explanation. I expect we'll get one eventually, when it's no longer a central part of the plot.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Jade Teapot: Which Reality?

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 pm

onigame wrote:Has it been explained how the Jade Teapot interacts with the different realities? Since the Jade Teapot can't have been in the Maze of Many since its creation, it must have originally been in one of the realities before it was brought into the MoM. Which reality was it from? If you teleport with it from the MoM, do you end up in your own reality, or the reality the teapot is from? Why aren't there hundreds of teapots in the MoM, one from every reality currently running it?
There could be just one Teapot inside the Maze but it can be from many different realities. The Maze has a Teapot in it and this is independent of whether or not any particular reality is one that, from its own perspective, has contributed its Teapot to the Maze. Since we're following Kin's quest to get the Teapot from "our" reality, we're running into a lot of other groups that are also on the same quest. The Teapot comes from all of them and none in particular. It's each of theirs Teapot, but just one Teapot. The story of the Teapot can be the same in multiple realities, because they're independent of one another except through the Maze. Any group that enters the Maze looking for their Teapot will find it in there and can take it out, because that's valid for their reality. :)

ETA: Well that's how I'm thinking of it. More like multiple gaming groups all running the same published adventure from their own worlds, but with GM collaboration to have them meeting each other, except I'm not thinking of multiple Herberts, as the Maze is a creation of his for his gaming group and world, not a real multiple-reality spanning entity.