An important message

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
wannabe_elf
Remains Silent
UStream Username: wannabe_elf

An important message

Post by wannabe_elf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 am

I'm not really a forum person anymore; I find they tend to be full of the sort of drama that I have lost my tolerance for since I left high school. But there is a blog with a message that I feel needs to be heard by as many people as possible And this is the best place I can think of to spread that message.

I ask you all to please read this site and, if you feel comfortable doing so, spread it around to others. http://ashenblog.blog.com/

[mod="LooksAtYouFunny"]
Trigger warning,
the given link is about Abuse.
Please not that no insult was intended by Wannabe elf when he wrote what he wrote.[/mod]
Last edited by LAYF on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add trigger warning

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: An important message

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 am

Leading with an insult is probably not the best way to get your message across. Also, your site won't load.

wannabe_elf
Remains Silent

Post by wannabe_elf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm a chat regular and the other chat regulars know me. I don't consider an explanation of why my post count is so low to be an insult. It loaded fine this morning and who said it was my site?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Saying absolutely nothing about what the message in the blog is doesn't make me inclined to read it. It could be boring prattle about US politics, or a petition for Halo 6 to be a My Little Ponies crossover, or a review Tom Cruise's latest schlockfest.

And I also think saying you're not a forum regular because they're full of teenage drama does insult the forum regulars who you want to click your link.

(Link still doesn't load).

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

wannabe_elf wrote:I'm a chat regular and the other chat regulars know me. I don't consider an explanation of why my post count is so low to be an insult. It loaded fine this morning and who said it was my site?
You know what? I think I know why you feel like all forums are drama-tastic. You bring it with you. :roll:

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Yep the link doesn't work, and I couldn't good for it.

And like the others have said, it is in fact quite rude to insult the forum. You could have easily gone "I don't typically use forums, but I'm often on the chat and I thought I would share this link with you." You opted to be dramatic yourself and you actively chose to say something which is confrontational and disrespectful.

Also, you neglected to give any description about the website you want us all to check. Peronsally, I do not open links without knowing beforehand what I'm getting.

All you've done is said "This is a blog that I think everyone should read. you should link it to others. Read it!". Why should we read it? What on earth is it about? Description is helpful!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 pm

I haven't had a problem with the link the two times I tried it (when I first saw it and again just now). There's a trigger warning at the top of the blog. It's about abuse: physical, sexual, and emotional. It ties in somewhat to things Thunt's Mom has said, but I'm not entirely sure what's must-read about it. The general message that good things can come out of bad things?

And I don't see anything elf said as confrontational. Pretty much everywhere there's more than 1 person there's bound to be some drama. She wants to avoid forum drama. *shrug*
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm

No one said she was confrontational. I said she was insulting. Those two words do not mean the same thing.

And bullshit she wants to avoid drama. She flounced in here and basically told everyone she was holding her nose whilst slumming to bring us this important message. And then she got all "and who said it was my site?" Which has zero relevance to anything, and was just said to be passive aggressive at me. She's ALL ABOUT the drama. Thus the reason she finds it wherever people can speak to her in full sentences. :roll:

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm

I think the biggest sign that she was "all about the drama" in the original post was that it was all mysterious and important, read this message and share it, and we wouldn't find out what it was about unless we clicked her stupid link (whchi still won't work...)

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:52 pm

It looks like spam to me.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 pm

wannabe_elf wrote:I'm a chat regular and the other chat regulars know me. I don't consider an explanation of why my post count is so low to be an insult. It loaded fine this morning and who said it was my site?
I can confirm, I've seen Wanna be many times in the chat, and his link, did in fact work earlier and it was to a blog.
I did not read it, as all I wanted to do was assure myself it was not spam.
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:51 am

wannabe_elf wrote:I'm not really a forum person anymore; I find they tend to be full of the sort of drama that I have lost my tolerance for since I left high school. But there is a blog with a message that I feel needs to be heard by as many people as possible And this is the best place I can think of to spread that message.

I ask you all to please read this site and, if you feel comfortable doing so, spread it around to others. http://ashenblog.blog.com/
I'm not really a blog reader anymore; I find they tend to be full of the sort of drama that I have lost my tolerance for since I left high school.

---

RS and lingrem said everything I wanted. Also, link works fine here, although I cba to read past the first line.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 am

It works now! (and I see in my last post I said "I tried to good it"... silly fingers. It was meant to be "I tried to google it".

Going to the opening page of the blog, I'm still unsure why it's been linked - what about it do you really like wannabe? The first post is an introduction and I don't know what specifically you thought is so great about it?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

SPAM (was: Re: An important message)

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 am

gamecreator wrote:It looks like spam to me.
That's what I felt about the OP (opening post).

I checked if the link works, and apparently, for me it does.
Although it just loads a move-message:

"About this blog.

This page has moved. http://ashenbyembermane.wordpress.com/"

I followed that.
And I really can't see why that post is an important message. There is no message inside, as far as I can tell.

So, yes, even after having read the linked post, I classify it as spam.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 am

okay. To me it links to a blog, (directly, no move)

starting with:

"I am a survivor of three different kinds of abuse. I wonÔÇÖt go into detail because thatÔÇÖs not the point of this site, but I will summarize for you."

I guess Wannabe sees it as relevant, due to the first part, that its about abuse..... that is, currently with all there is going one in Thunt(and his moms) life, some kind of relevant.
-Best regards LAYF

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:49 pm

If it's a link to a post about abuse, a trigger warning would be appropriate.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:27 pm

There's a trigger warning at the top of the blog, as I mentioned before.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:39 am

But it does not warn which kind of triggers may be inside the post. It jsut says "trigger warning"
http://ashenbyembermane.wordpress.com/ wrote:About this blog
This will be your one and only trigger warning on this site.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:50 am

I think that RS was requesting a trigger warning in THIS thread. It would be polite to let us know what we're going to be getting from a link before going to it.

I, for one, was not expecting a blog about abuse. This is in Communities. I thought it would be something more... light? I go to a different forum for mental health issues, and this one for lighter topics. It would be nice to know, even here, what we're getting. :)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 am

One of the topics which I actually read, which is the most recent post I think, actually has some points on misandry/sexism towards men and how it hurts anyone to be discriminated against because of their gender and things.

That's relevant to a lot of Thunt's tweets recently, he's been trying to talk to various people and has been called an MRA, a troll, and so on. One particularly over the top lady was extremely weird to him about this subject recently.

So it's not spam or irrelevant... Not necessarily. It was badly introduced though.

wannabe_elf
Remains Silent

Post by wannabe_elf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:35 am

:wall: See how much drama came from saying I don't go to forums in general because I find forums in general to be full of drama? I didn't say anything about this forum being full of drama; my post count shows I don't come here often so how could I know enough to comment on the general drama level of this forum?

As for why I commented asking who said the site was mine, it was in response to this:
RocketScientist wrote:Also, your site won't load.
I reached out to a different part of the community I consider myself to be a part of because I know this community has dealt with the kinds of issues this blog discusses. I didn't give a trigger warning because I don't believe in them; I think they do more harm than good. I didn't say what the blog is about because I didn't want to be yelled at for not giving a trigger warning and there's a trigger warning at the top of the front page of the website (which is not actually a blog entry as most people in this thread seem to think). The blog itself is on a different page of the website, I assume so that people visiting the site are warned before they can see the actual content of the blog, and since the site has moved it is now located here: http://ashenbyembermane.wordpress.com/the-blog/

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am

You must understand how people took offense though, right?

Walking into McDonald's and saying loudly to the staff and customers "I don't come to fast food restaurants because I find them cheap and nasty, but I thought I'd pop in and tell you about my friend's beef farm" might be one way to get information about beef farming into the hands of some vaguely connected people, but it puts them on the defensive immediately.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:31 am

wannabe_elf wrote:See how much drama came from saying I don't go to forums in general because I find forums in general to be full of drama?
I think you may still not be entirely aware of how "introducing sentences" like that come across to people.

That being said; I also think that the blog/link post has its relevance, just not in this particular part of the forum, and some short summarizing text would have been nice to get with. Many people have many different interests and may or may not be following all the recent and/or hot topics that go around Thunt or in his community. One can't expect others interest piqued just by dropping lines along "important message" - even more if said person is admittedly trying to reach out to the part of the community they are not that tightly knot with.

If you don't mind me asking the question, what is your aim with posting that link? Would you like to discuss the topic? Or just wanted to draw some attention? In any case, may I suggest this thread in the general forum? Or perhaps the Controversy subforum would be adequate too.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:13 pm

wannabe_elf wrote::wall: See how much drama came from saying I don't go to forums in general because I find forums in general to be full of drama?
That's what you get from making provocative threads.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 pm

[mod="LooksAtYouFunny"]Okay all.. stop beating the same old over and over again!
Wannabe elf wanted to share something with us!
He have a low post count, and made an explanation for that! Yes, it COULD be interpreted as an insult, but it was not INTENDED as such! he have already said that!
He even wrote, and I quote:

I'm not really a forum person anymore
AND:
I find they tend to be
From this you can conclude, that he have not looked at this forum that much, and thus do not know how we are as a community. and He then explains why he have not looked at it.. he does not say that we are like that.

THIS: Is a blog/site that talks about abuse Thus, trigger warning have been given.

Any further comments and posts within this topic should be on the link and the content there of, If you feel insulted, fine, Wannabe_elf have said that he does not see the insult, ergo he did not intent it. move one.[/mod]
-Best regards LAYF