For all who would like to improve their English

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
WastesTime
Is Heard Often

For all who would like to improve their English

Post by WastesTime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi to you all!

As the topic states, I would very much like to find a conversational partner who is a native speaker of the English language and who could help me improve my English as well as explain to me some occasional strange expressions etc. which I could not hope to find the meaning of by myself. In return I offer my Polish language skills as a native speaker - if any of you are interested of course :P
Last edited by WastesTime on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Re: English-speaking conversational/reference partner needed

Post by SGTdude » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Shoot.

I'm not trying to learn polish but I will help you refine your english if you would like.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:56 pm

This would be very helpful, thank you!

I encourage you to correct every mistake I make :)
There are sometimes some phrases that are probably slang words and I have a hard time trying to make out their meaning just as you would probably have a problem with Polish slang words. I think that we could use this thread to improve our English with help from the native speakers in this topic as I'm pretty sure other non English-speaking people out there could benefit greatly from such feedback :D

Where are you from, SGTdude? Asking out of curiosity

EDIT: Post corrected by thinkslogically
Last edited by WastesTime on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Around.

I was born in New England. I currently live in the Southeastern U.S. I have also lived in Texas, Kentucky, Germany for a short time, and Afghanistan for 2 years (12months at a time each). The farthest west I have ever made it was Oklahoma but that was just a layover on a flight, so it doesn't really count.

Why dont you start with a bit of narrative. Something that you would say in conversation but not like 1 or 2 lines. Like, explain one of your hobbies to me as if I knew nothing about it. I will look for any places where your phrasing is not clear or could be tweaked.

ps - with any post I make on this, if I say something that is the slightest bit ambiguous let me know so that I can explain it.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Re: For all who would like to improve their English

Post by WastesTime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm

First of all, it's great that you're from US, cause I really prefer American over British English. Yours is somehow nicer on the ears than that of the British Isles.

Ok, so I had and still have a lot of hobbies which I do in my spare time but I enjoy reading most of all, especially fantasy books. This is probably why I first got into Goblins. I remember reading some other webcomic and seeing the banner with Minmax saying "My Charisma is awesome" - remember that one? It was a couple of years back, during the Brassmoon story arc (damn, it seems like ages ago). After skimming through the first few pages from the said update I started reading from the beginning and got hooked up immediately. I'm not quit so well versed in the D&D rules and whatnot but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the comic.

Back to the topic: a year ago or so I set up a goal of reading every book from the list of fantasy classics which was compiled by a Polish fantasy author, Andrzej Sapkowski. The list encompasses around 80 books and I've only read about 10 of them so far so there is still a lot for me to read.

I always wanted to get feedback from an English-speaking person and it never occurred to me to ask for help here, where probably quite a large number of you guys are from English-speaking countries.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:40 pm

WastesTime wrote:got hooked up immediately.
Here you should have said "immediately got hooked." Think of it like a fish, when you are in to something you really like you are hooked and helpless but to get reeled in. Hooked up refers to other things: It can refer to a service being started ("i got my internet hooked up today!") or a meeting between friends ('I got to go cuz me and THunt are hooking up at Starbucks for coffee in an hour") or an intimate relationship, usually indicating sex ("dude, you got so nasty drunk last night you totally hooked up with that ugly chick").
WastesTime wrote:I'm not quit so well versed in the D&D rules and whatnot
"whatnot" seems to have fallen out of conversational use, but it is still very much an american slang, so kudos on the use there.

I didnt really see much else there that struck me as odd. You have to remember also that part of speaking english is inflection. I can have some Brit say the same exact words I do, but the way he voices them (not accent mind you, just tone) will indicate he is not a natural english speaker. I would say watch alot of american tv to get this part of it down. I mean sarcasm is almost completely based on tone/inflection, so being able to write a sarcastic statement is only half the journey.

Also, any examples I provide in here for english are just that. If you find any example kind of rude and offensive let me know, but at the same time I make examples for the sake of giving you an accurate understanding of the English language from an American point of view, not for the sake of being nice/polite.

Also, like nobody says British Isles. I think the common American-ism would be like Enland, Brittish, or some other word depending on the context.

Why dont you tell me about one of this polish guys books. Dont go into too many details. Just give me like an overall summary of what one of his stories is about. Again, think about it and write it as if you were talking and not writing. The more casual you put stuff the more similar it will be to how you talk probably.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Sorry I did not respond earlier, the amount of work I have to do these days, ugh. You wouldn't believe it.

And as for Sapkowski, well, the guy is pretty well known among Polish fantasy readers. Quite an authority actually since he's also taken quite an interest in the fantasy genre as such and is a huge fan of Arthurian legends. Lady of the Lake and Lancelot appear in his books, by the way, quite a nice nod for all those who like the stuff. You could say he's like a Polish equivalent of Tolkien, what with creating a whole universe and, I think, two separate languages in his saga that encompasses five volumes as well as two volumes of just short stories. The latter are kind of an introduction to the world and the main protagonist, and to be perfectly honest, though I do enjoy the saga and like to return to it from time to time, the short stories are definitely where he is at the peak of his talent as a writer. Very clever and witty although his latest work, it was released after a couple of years of nothing but silence, well, it's not that good, especially through the first 1/4 of the book, feels kinda sloppy. It gets better nevertheless so I would probably still recommend it to you, if you knew Polish. Oh, now it occurred to me that the first two or so books in the series are actually available in English and, I checked just now, are for purchase on Amazon. The translation, from what I've heard, is not perfect so you'll be losing all the good dialogue sequences that showcase his fine craftsmanship but on the other hand the story is what's important and the plot is well developed. I definitely recommend it to you if you ever find yourself with nothing to read and too much cash on your hands.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:00 pm

WastesTime wrote:Sorry I did not respond earlier, the amount of work I have to do these days, ugh. You wouldn't believe it.

And as for Sapkowski, well, the guy is pretty well known among Polish fantasy readers. Quite an authority actually since he's also taken quite an interest in the fantasy genre as such and is a huge fan of Arthurian legends. Lady of the Lake and Lancelot appear in his books, by the way, quite a nice nod for all those who like the stuff. You could say he's like a Polish equivalent of Tolkien, what with creating a whole universe and, I think, two separate languages in his saga that encompasses five volumes as well as two volumes of just short stories. The latter are kind of an introduction to the world and the main protagonist, and to be perfectly honest, though I do enjoy the saga and like to return to it from time to time, the short stories are definitely where he is at the peak of his talent as a writer. Very clever and witty although his latest work, it was released after a couple of years of nothing but silence, well, it's not that good, especially through the first 1/4 of the book, feels kinda sloppy. It gets better nevertheless so I would probably still recommend it to you, if you knew Polish. Oh, now it occurred to me that the first two or so books in the series are actually available in English and, I checked just now, are for purchase on Amazon. The translation, from what I've heard, is not perfect so you'll be losing all the good dialogue sequences that showcase his fine craftsmanship but on the other hand the story is what's important and the plot is well developed. I definitely recommend it to you if you ever find yourself with nothing to read and too much cash on your hands.

There isnt anything I see about this that is distinctly unamerican, its just written instead of spoken. Unless it is spoken, in which case...your phrasing needs help. :P

Its ok, because this is a difficulty I knew we would face in this medium. Here is what I want you to try to do, tell me about the first book in this guy's series but dont write it. Say it out loud in enlish as though you were already in conversation and then write what you said. That way I can capture your spoken phrasing more accurately and we can hone in on any problem areas (I hope now you see what I mean by "Unless it is spoken..."

I will help you out with a lead in, written the way I would actually speak to you.
"That sounds kinda cool. I mean, I dont know about trying to read a polish guys book translated into english cuz I feel like it would lose something. But, like, how does it start? What is the first book about?"

[Edit - The reason I am making this point is that written American English is easy enough to copy where as the casual spoken version can be alot harder to get a good handle on (this why american sitcoms almost always feature a foreigner who knows good english but still is added for "comic value"]

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Well, the first book is about a guy named Geralt, a monster hunter and follows his adventures in a series of short stories, you know. He's called a witcher, I think it's derived from "witch" as he can cast something like spells but hell, I have no idea why did the author call him like that. Anyway, in the first book his fighting monsters, solving problems and generally kicking some serious as, but, and that is pretty important, he's not like Rambo or what have you and he's not immortal and indestructible, it is hinted he could have died when we first meet him so yeah, there you have it - what do you think after this, well, quite short description?

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 pm

So, it seems like you're more interested in conversational English than formal written English. I've noticed a few run-on sentences and these are a big no-no in written English but wouldn't even be noticed in conversation. Knowing me, there's a good chance I'll wind up nitpicking some of the written grammar anyway. :P I also usually try to stay clear of using lots of colloquialisms when I know I'm talking to a non-native speaker, but I won't be pulling any punches here. If I say something that doesn't make sense, of course just ask.

A little about myself: I'm from Massachusetts originally. I've lived in the northeastern US pretty much my whole life. There are regional dialects all throughout the US, Great Britain and, well, everywhere. Most of that is just in the pronunciation, but some of that is word choice and use - just a head's up.
WastesTime wrote:This would be very helpful, thank you!

I encourage you to correct every mistake I make :)
There are sometimes some phrases that probably are slang terms and I have a hard time trying to make out their meaning just as you probably would have had a problem with Polish slang terms. I think that we could do it in this topic as I'm pretty sure other non English-speaking people out here could benefit greatly from getting such a feedback as yours :D
If I were coming at this as a newspaper editor, there's be a lot of little things I'd pick out, like that "sometimes some" is redundant - you don't need both words there. Either one is fine, depending on which you would rather emphasize. But it's not a big deal - conversationally it's fine. Also, the word "probably" can shift around to a lot of different places in a sentence. Myself, I'd probably use them after the verb (or after the first verb). Ie. "that are probably" or "you'd probably have had" but the meaning is essentially the same. It just sounds more natural to me in those positions.

The one thing here that really stands out is "a feedback." You just don't use "a" when talking about feedback. You can refer to "the feedback" "some feedback" "your feedback" (which, incidentally, I'd suggest to replace "such a feedback as yours") or just simply "feedback." It's one of those words that's essentially plural by default.

The "hooked up" SGTdude already covered. Other things that jump out at me:
After skimming through the first few pages from the said update I started reading from the beginning
You wouldn't really hear "from the said update" like that - "from said update" (without the "the") is OK but not terribly common in American English. "From that update" is probably how I'd say or hear it. "That" is a wonderful word we Americans use the crap out of.

I'm not really going to bother with things like run-on sentences, placement of commas, or any of that. I do think the semicolon is vastly underappreciated and I'm a big fan of the dash as a sentence break and, of course, a well-hyphenated word is always fun. But, meh, it's the internet.

Other little "unnatural" things:
[...] are for purchase on Amazon.
Could be you meant to write "are available for purchase on Amazon" (and to be honest by brain almost added the "available" on its own.) If you're going to shorten the phrase, "are available on Amazon" or simply "are on Amazon" would be more common.
I have no idea why did the author call him like that.
You don't use "did" generally unless you're asking the question. "Why did the author call him that?" Here you could say "I have no idea why the author called him that." or "I have no idea why the author referred to him like that." or "I have no idea why the author used that word." Also, in your next sentence, I'm guessing those are just a couple of typos where you meant to write "he's fighting monsters, solving problems and generally kicking some serious ass." :grin:

All-in-all, your English is pretty good. Better than a lot of what I run into on the 'net. ;)
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Here is my take on your latest "homework"
WastesTime wrote:Well, the first book is about a guy named Geralt, a monster hunter and follows his adventures in a series of short stories, you know.
I would have said "and it follow his adventures", but not a huge deal.
WastesTime wrote:he can cast something like spells
I am really not sure what you were trying to say here. It sounds confusing.
WastesTime wrote:I have no idea why did the author call him like that.
Instead try "I have no idea why the author called him that."
WastesTime wrote:Anyway, in the first book his fighting monsters, solving problems and generally kicking some serious as,
Could be typos but "his fighting" should be "he is fighting" and "serious as" should be "serious ass".
WastesTime wrote:but, and that is pretty important, he's not like Rambo or what have you and he's not immortal and indestructible, it is hinted he could have died when we first meet him so yeah, there you have it - what do you think after this, well, quite short description?
This is too long. Even for conversation. Everyone has there own speaking style, but I would have said "but its not like he is Rambo or anything. I mean he isnt immortal or indestructible since he dies right when you first meet him. So thats basically the book, what do you think?"

Its ok to be longwinded (something I know alot about) but you have to chop it up into sentences and thoughts that go together and are pretty clear, even when speaking. Otherwise it just comes off very confusing.

Zath, you can feel free to give him another homework assignment. I will be thinking up another one and will post it if he doesnt respond before too long.

PS - Zath you should totally help him on written english and I can help him with conversational, since they have such wildly different feels to them. Just a thought.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks a lot, guys! I really appreciate your help and I'm looking forward to getting more homework from you :) Zathyr, my English is probably better than what you've seen because I'm studying English philology. I thought my English was pretty good, despite occasional mistakes but then I realised that a native speaker would probably think it was sloppy at best ;)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:31 am

WastesTime wrote:Hi to you all!

As the topic states, I would very much like to find a conversational partner who is a native speaker of the English language and who could help me improve my English as well as explain to me some occasional strange expressions etc. [...]
Hello to you too.
Actually, the topic states that you are searching for people who would like to improve their own English, and not for people who are willing to improve YOUR English.
Got me on my wrong foot.

Have fun!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:57 am

Krulle wrote:
WastesTime wrote:Hi to you all!

As the topic states, I would very much like to find a conversational partner who is a native speaker of the English language and who could help me improve my English as well as explain to me some occasional strange expressions etc. [...]
Hello to you too.
Actually, the topic states that you are searching for people who would like to improve their own English, and not for people who are willing to improve YOUR English.
Got me on my wrong foot.

Have fun!
I changed the topic, cause I got help from SGTDude and Zathyr - I figured the title would be more appropriate as I'd like it to be a general discussion between native and non-native speakers of English.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 am

Alright here is my next task.

Pick a task and explain it. It should be something that isn't common, but its highly technical. Like for example how to check the oil level on your car (you can't use that one now that I mentioned it, it has to be something else). There should be a level of detail, but not so much that its hard to understand what you are talking about.

Then put up your conversational explanation of how to do that task. Remember you are not writing an instruction manual, you are either answering a question "how do I check my oil" or standing there talking a guy through the process as he does it, using the example I provided. Talk it out first and then write it if you have to, just do your best to make it as conversational as you can.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:14 am

Wow, man, your PC is in shambles, no wonder you wanted me to come fix it. Kay, so here's the CD for the format... do you have backup of your data? Oh, damn, really? Nothing, not even some CDs with your music and stuff? Shit... but do not despair, cause just in case I brought this external hard drive, quite a useful tool at that. Ok, transfer all the files you want preserved onto the disk and then put the CD in. Kay, now restart the PC and keep pushing the F2, F10, F12 and Del buttons... what, don't look at me like that, I don't know which of these will respond. Ok, behold the BIOS menu. Now, select the Boot menu and make it so your PC boots from the CD. Ok, now press any key and... oh, I walked right into that one. Yeah, yeah, I saw that episode of the Simpsons, t'was funny as always. Ok now, you smart-ass, you do the rest yourself. Haha, just kidding, but the next part is pretty simple. You just have to wait for the screen to display Windows logo and then follow the instructions like any other installation you've done...got something to drink? It's pretty hot outside. Pepsi? Yeah, that'll have to do, thanks, man! Ok, what do you see on the screen now? 'Enter product key'? Ok, so enter the key, it should be somewhere on the CD box. You've got it? Great, now select your preferences, like time and date etc. and it should load the desktop. Alright, everything seems in order, wasn't that hard, was it? Nah, no problem, dude, don't mention it. Kay, I gotta fly, my wife's gonna be pissed if I'm late, we're having some important dinner today. See ya!

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:18 pm

I will reapond to this as soon as I can but it looks good from a glance

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:19 am

OMG! I totally forgot about this!

I am so sorry. I will definitely respond today. I am sorry I let this slip my mind.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm

No problem, my friend :D I'm patient

My exams are coming next week and there are some expressions I don't understand. Would it be possible for you to explain them to me or provide synonyms once I get them all in one place? They are those I couldn't find on neither Thesaurus nor Google.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 pm

WastesTime wrote:do you have backup of your data?
I would say either: "do you have a backup of your data?" (typo?) or "Did you back up your system?" since data is a little clunky in that sentence; but this could be my opinion.
WastesTime wrote:but do not despair, cause just in case I brought this external hard drive, quite a useful tool at that.
Going after smooth spoken English, a more casual statement here would work a bit better: "No big deal, I got an external hard drive we can use to do the backup."

WastesTime wrote:Ok, transfer all the files you want preserved onto the disk and then put the CD in. Kay, now restart the PC and keep pushing the F2, F10, F12 and Del buttons... what, don't look at me like that, I don't know which of these will respond.
This was a little confusing to me but im not a computer guy, so....

The rest of it is pretty much ok.

I think a list of synonyms would help out. What I might do is take whatever list of words/phrases you want to shoot me and then give you a list of alternative words/phrases that can be used in conversational english. I am sorry again that it took me so long to respond to you. I will get back to you more quickly next time.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:41 am

No problem, we all have those days when we don't know who we are anymore at some point :P As for the phrases - it doesn't have to be for conversational English. It's just that my fiancee has got an exam from which I'm exempted based on my score and there is a huge batch of words for which she has to provide synonyms or explanations on the exam and we couldn't find some of them. I'll post the list around Saturday, I hope, and I'm very grateful for your help! :D

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:40 pm

LOL man I forgot about this.

I think I am still waiting for you to show me the list of phrases.

Unless you were waiting on me to provide a list of phrases. In which case....yeah i guess I suck if thats the case. Hope that your fiancee did good on the exam.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:43 am

Good morning! I'm TL (from the UK) so I might have a bit of a different perspective on a couple of phrases, but hopefully it's a help :) I've not read everything the others have posted for you though, so if I repeat them, well, sorry!
WastesTime wrote:I encourage you to correct every mistake I make :)
OK ;)
WastesTime wrote:There are sometimes some phrases that probably are are probably slang terms words* and I have a hard time trying to make out their meaning just as you probably would would probably have had a problem with Polish slang terms. I think that we could do it in this topic as I'm pretty sure other non English-speaking people out here out there** could benefit greatly from gettingsuch a feedback as yours***
HIGHLIGHTS:
BLUE TEXT:Watch your word order with 'probably'. You can put 'probably' first (before 'would', 'are' etc.), but it's more normal to say 'would probably'.

RED TEXT: Watch your tenses. You switch from the present tense (have) to the past tense (would have had) mid-sentence - in this case, they should match (I have had... you would have had OR I have... you would have).

GREEN TEXT: This is unclear. I appreciate it's a forum and there's a topic heading right there for everyone to see, but if this was a normal paragraph then you give no indication of what 'it' is. I would rewrite it as 'we could use this thread to improve our English with help from the native speakers' (or something similar).

WORD USE:
* 'slang terms' is fine, but it would more usually be 'slang words' or just 'slang', since adding 'words' or 'terms' is redundant.
** Usually, you would say 'in here' or 'out there'.
*** 'such feedback (as yours)' is quite formal for an internet forum, but it's fine! I would probably write it as 'such feedback' though or 'your feedback' and leave it there. You don't really need 'as yours'.

-------------------------
If this is useful I'll look at some of your other writing later on :)

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 am

:meh: TL: professional scientist, runner of multiple games, creator of the awesomest community visual game, and apparently great at english.

What am I even doing here?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:32 am

I think the more accurate summary is 'TL: Pedant with too much free time' :lol:

But sorry sarge, I didn't mean to tread on your toes - I just found this thread while trying to avoid some really boring work.