Music preference of goblin fans

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Guus
Floods your Ears

Music preference of goblin fans

Post by Guus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Heya forumites,

I always find it interesting to know what music preferences people have, because almost everyone has one and I feel like it adds an extra color to a person's IME, to use Goblin terms (almost always positive, I might add).

I am a big fan of ska music, because it is often upbeat and happy, even if the message is serious (or downright idiotic). It's a form of music that knows many colors and it has something for just about everyone.

So, what is your musical preference and why?
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Re: Music preference of goblin fans

Post by Zathyr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 pm

I do likes me some ska too. Punk/ska and ska/rock blends. I've joked about a Celtic/ska blend, but I think it could actually work. I have some ideas..
What I listen to often depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I like some generic pop/rock. Sometimes I want some ambient techno. Sometimes I want to geek out with some Jonathan Coulton or They Might Be Giants or the Aquabats.

Honestly it'd be easier for me to list the types of music I don't like. ;) That would be most rap and metal. Not too big on disco either, but that's more like 50/50. There are of course exceptions. A lot of the early rap (back when it was called "street music") I can enjoy. I like folk metal like Finntroll, and Van Canto's a cappella metal makes me smile, even when they're covering hair metal that I usually wouldn't care for. I still haven't made up my mind about Babymetal - I'm honestly just not sure if I like it or not.

As for why, *shrug* - some music just resonates with me and some doesn't.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Zathyr wrote:I still haven't made up my mind about Babymetal - I'm honestly just not sure if I like it or not.
I was listening to the first song on that page and thinking how japanese music is quite different from anything else and in my view does not correspond to a genre it's assigned to. And I understood what I hate about it. I can't stand repetitiveness. That's why I don't like most of electronic music and have vague genre preferences. I like varied music, especially with vocal, which enriches it.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Celtic ska? Check out the Trojans ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-7TIZOeEA

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 am

I like pretty disparate stuff. Let me show you three of my favourite songs, in no particular order.

If you don't like one, click the next. If you dislike all three? Well...okay then :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GykZ_9r9sAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsqId3Kmhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04ILDXe3QE

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Guus wrote:Celtic ska? Check out the Trojans ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-7TIZOeEA
Stupendous.

But why does that video have like 2 minutes of silence at the end?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Classic Rock, 80s music, and hair metal are my favorites. Rap, hip hop, country, cheesy pop and disco are my least favorites. Especially country. Blergh.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 am

But country is great! Well, some country at least. Most are hilarious, some songs are really good (Sixteen Tons is a great country song, to name one).

Zathyr: I don't know. I stumbled upon the Trojans a few months ago, but they normally make different music. They have a few Celtic ska songs, but those are more exception than rule.

Rocket, what is hair metal? Never heard of it and I used to listen to metal quite a lot.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 am

Motley Crue, Skid Row... Bon Jovi if you don't consider them a bit weak.

Steel Panther, if you like parodies.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 am

I listen to just about everything. Country, rock, metal, Top 100, jazz, pop, and Celtic.

One of my favorite bands is Albannach. they hail from Scotland and they play rebel pipe and drum.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Glam metal? Like 80s metal bands with spandex and sometimes makeup. It's just gotten the nickname hair metal because it's mostly guys with big/long hair. Def Leppard (I mostly like Pyromania and older stuff), Dokken, Scorpions. Stuff like that. I'm not much of a Bon Jovi fan, although, amusingly my kids love them. :lol: Thank you, Rock Band.

I listen to an all Beatles & Stones channel on I Heart Radio, though. Literally zero bad songs. Although they could do with a wider variety of Stones music. They don't seem to have much of anything post 60s. And I wouldn't mind if they changed it to all Beatles/Stones/Bowie. 8)

w33zul
Remains Silent

Post by w33zul » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 am

p-p-p-p-p-platypus!!! <"Hey! Who typed that?">

New poster, former lurker here...
I love a huge variety of music, but some newer interests include Austra, Janet Panic, and Rodriguez. Gotta play the Myth soundtrack when playing DnD though!

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 am

Welcome! Your music examples are unknown to me, what types of music are they?

Heh, we mostly play stuff like ACDC and other energizing music during our d&d sessions.
Except with our goblin campaign (yes, we actually play one, but we stereotype goblins and play the real evil version of goblins), where we play nothing but silly march music. I didn't even come up with the idea of a goblin campaign, how about that? :P

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 am

Heh, I was prompted to do a Rush archive binge. "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" from Fly by Night is basically D&D set to music, and is a gloriously excessive 1970s prog-metal nine-minute semi-instrumental. It's fun. :)

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

w33zul
Remains Silent

Post by w33zul » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 am

Music type, well, that's tricky

Austra - Synthpop, dark wave, new wave, dream pop, indietronica (ie. WTF?)
Janet Panic - Folk, rock, pop folk
Rodriguez - Rock, folk, Psychedelic rock

But I am very familiar with 70's/80's hard rock! Our old gaming sessions included ACDC, Scorpions etc plus loads of 80's top-40. Ugh, I cringe at the thought of cleaving orcs to the sound of "Don't you want me baby...?"

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 am

Hahaha, that sounds brilliant!

Don't you want me OOOOOHH-CLEAVE

I also found that the Red Alert 2 soundtrack is pretty great for D&D background music.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Synth-pop? Yay! I think I like synth-pop more now than I did in the 80s.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:17 pm

It's probably easier to say what I don't like, and even then it's hard for me to say I don't like a genre, as I can usually find at least one artist who's work I DO like within said genre... What I'm in the mood for varies by day. I have literally hundreds of GB of music on my computer, and often just set it to shuffle if I'm not in the mood for anything in particular.
(...which sometimes results in an interesting transition from country to classical to death metal. o_o )

More recently I've been in the mood for folk metal...so I've been listening to a lot of that. Also a lot of ambient abstract things, since that's good for focusing on work without being distracting.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 pm

For some reason the Katamari Damacy soundtrack was in my head a lot recently, so of course I had to actually listen to it, so that's primarily what I've been listening to for the past few days.

Na na na na na na na na na na katamari damacy ...

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:34 pm

I like a lot of music. Here's a couple:
Moondog: Do your thing (avant garde folk/jazz; this one has a helpful message)
Glitch Mob: Bad Wings (techno)

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I listen to a little bit of everything. The last four months I've been on a musicals kick - Disney, Rent, Wicked are the ones that are coming up most often on Pandora. I also like quite a few other musical styles; my CD/electronic music collection includes Christian music (from the 90s until now), industrial, metal, pop music, TSO, new wave, alternative, ska, new swing, a few country songs, a few rap songs, R&B, progressive rock, punk, electronica, dance...

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Disney, oh hoe much I love Disney!
I often run a playlist of a few hours when writing an essay, because for some strange reason I can focus just as well with Disney music on the background as when I don't listen to music. Which is kind of strange, but hey, it works! :P

Arklytte
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Arklytte » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Would it be cheesy of me to say that I like pretty much all genres of music? I was just thumbing though my iPod and I have everything from P!nk, Metallica, Run-DMC, Aerosmith, Eminem, Celtic Woman, Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton, Clannad, NWA, Eyna, Evanescence, Loreena Mckennitt, Tartanic (a celtic bagpipe/drums band), Primus, Korn, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and many many others. Also, like RS I am a sucker for 80's hair bands...that's one of the biggest sections (Poison, Ratt, the Crue, Winger, etc...the soundtracks for both Bill and Ted movies provide some serious 80's goodness). I even have a bit of real old school: Classical Thunder vol 1-5. :) Plus I've recently become a huge fan of acapella, thanks mainly to amazing artists like Peter Hollens and Pentatonix, and shows like Sing Off.

I love music in all it's forms and there is very little I truly dislike. I dont know if that makes me an aficionado or just someone who cant make up his mind. :)

PS: Oh, and Zathyr...thanks for sticking the Babymetal earworm in my head! :P I am currently working my way though their YouTube playlist. Cant quite make up my mind yet, as there are various parts of my brain currently warring with each other (J-Pop is one of the few genres that I really do despise) but for some reason I think I just may end up a fan. :)

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:21 am

Heh, Rush's Clockwork Angels (yes, it has a steampunk theme) tour went by on the TV, and I must say a headbanging string section surrounded by pillars of fire brings a smile to my face. :D

AlphaPanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AlphaPanda » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 pm

I enjoy listening to Trailer Music a lot.