Hello Thunt, and generally everybody. I have a question.

Discuss the comic here!
Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Hello Thunt, and generally everybody. I have a question.

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:21 am

Well, um, to begin...

It's been kind of awkward and tense around here what with all that's happened in the past month. Lots of people coming here for the first time, or the first time in a long time because...we all want to talk and see if in all this craziness, maybe what we individually say will make the most sense. It's like everybody started thinking along the lines of..."There's got to be an answer." "Things have changed, so things must not be right, so things must be fixed." "There's a problem." "How can we help?" "What's going on and why isn't anyone agreeing with me?"

Least that's how it looks to me, but, it all made me wonder one thing, about how I see Tarol Stephens, aka Thunt.

Hey Thunt, hi, yeah, this is really me, asking you...we haven't really met, but, are we friends?

All of us here, your fans, we're definitely readers, and I know that some who've recently spoke up in here definitely just think of themselves as that; just readers of Goblins. But me personally, I just thought, seeing how worried I got when you stopped sharing as much as you usually do, and how sick and fearful it made me feel when I knew you felt sick and fearful...well that's not me being just a reader, right? I really care. About you.

Just because you've let me get to know you. And surely maybe others here feel the same way I do, and will pitch in their word.

I mean if anybody was to ask me, "What are you to Thunt, creator of Goblins?" then what can I say? What can all of us who care about him say? I can say I'm a fan, but I can say I'm a fan about any artist I admire.

After all that's been said over the past several years, between Thunt and us, do we really think that he's just an artist we admire? Are we just fans?

Am I just a fan, or can I be called a friend?

Guus
Floods your Ears

Re: Hello Thunt, and generally everybody. I have a question.

Post by Guus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:31 am

Have you seen the twitter messages? Those seem to explain THunt's view pretty well ;)
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:51 am

He was just talking about that:
Thunt on Twitter wrote:After Twittering with you guys, I slept for 7 hours. I haven't slept that much in one go for 2 or 3 weeks. I've also started getting an appetite. It feels kind of humiliating to be celebrating such simple tasks, but I ate most of a sandwich today. I squeed.

I have no doubt that it's because of you. Our Twitter "talks" have been the most social thing I've done in a month and a half. I know "friends" isn't the most realistic word to describe most of you, since honestly, I don't know many or your faces or names. But "fans" is such a crap term too. You helped my with the down payment to buy my house. You helped me become a better artist/writer and now you've played no small part in helping me through... whatever you call this. You've literally saved my mind, if not my life.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm getting all weird and gooey. :P I'll get more into this in the blog, but basically you're amazing and I'm even more in your debt now. Thank you.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Michael7050
ServesBeers

Post by Michael7050 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:54 am

Well, the reason I posted my initial, open letter to THunt, (now the Unsolicited advice and Support thread), because I was a fan..... but I was feeling the same sort of worry you were, at least until I got those tweets. And then I was relieved. I dont think this answered any questions at all.

sorry.
ServesBeers, the original Proprietor of the Gobl'INN has returned from his extended vacation in the Astral Sea to see what all the hold up is.

"Yes dammit Wolfie, I do still own this Place, you do still work for ME and I AM NOT DEAD YET thank you very much."

Archerd
Mutters to Themself

Post by Archerd » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:03 am

From my standpoint as a reader Thunt has spent years entertaining me, and striking many emotional chords in me, he's managed to make me emotionally invested in his story and not only that interested in what he has to say, and what's going on with him outside the story. I'm not just invested in his work, I'm invested in him personally. I would be honestly hurt if something happened to him, and if he told me he needed help that I could provide, I would. That's as good a definition of friend that I need, and based off his tweets recently it would seem that he feels similar about the community.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:28 am

Charisma Carpenter calls her Twitter fans "frans." Lol. Seems like a fairly decent description. I've seen a few other celebrities refer to them as "Tweeps." /marginally helpful information

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:21 am

"Frans" is pretty awesome. :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:53 am

Buddy! Thats what I'll cal Thunt... he's one of my internet buddies...
Why buddies, well, some people here I cal friends, but those are people that I regularly talk to, back and forth... Thunt, well, its mostly him talking to us... but once in a while, during live drawing or when he is online on the forum, the talk goes back and forth... especially in the live stream we talk back and forth, and its not just all centered around him, its like being with friends and friends friends... a big group of buddies just talking back and forth about whatever...

yea... okay... I've not given it much thought as to what to call him.. really, I'm a fan, I'm a fan that feels that he know Tarol the person and Thunt the artist. I get nervous about him as I would a friend, but well... we know so much about him, and not because paparazzi have been in his backyard and filmed him on his veranda... but because he have done it.. because he is open and share... because all that I know about him I'm sure I'd like him if I get to meet him....

but....

...I have no idea If he would like me... and I'm sure, that if he even remember my name, or username for the matter, that he has no idea neither...
and why is that... well, simple... we are legion.... sorry... I could not help myself.... no because we are so many people who have all shared in Thunts life... and he can't possibly remember all the people who have thrown him a tweet or asked a question on the live cam, or even said hay at a con... maybe, if I'm lucky that I'm not started new education at the summer invasion of England, and if Tarol will be there, He'll get to know me... or maybe not... who knows...

All I know is, that Tarol cares about us, as individuals and as a group, and I'm sure if it was humanly (and timely) possible, he would love to know us all (well, at least until he got to know us that is ;) )

but until then... I'll call him my buddy...
-Best regards LAYF

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I considered "fronds" as a term for Thunt's fond friend-fans, but "froods" is close and already established. You're all pretty cool and hoopy froods in my book. Wait, that was someone else's book. Eh, what's a little plagiarism between froods. ;)
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:06 pm

I seem to recall him once referring to the people in the live drawing chat as his "imaginary friends" or "invisible friends" or some such.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Yeah, his e-maginary friends. :)
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

Michael7050
ServesBeers

Post by Michael7050 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:56 am

Yeah thats it!

I had completely forgotten about that. We are all his e-maginary friends.
ServesBeers, the original Proprietor of the Gobl'INN has returned from his extended vacation in the Astral Sea to see what all the hold up is.

"Yes dammit Wolfie, I do still own this Place, you do still work for ME and I AM NOT DEAD YET thank you very much."

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:19 am

We are the Goblinites, aren't we?
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

jokespoorly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by jokespoorly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:42 am

I'd like to be thought of as more of a friendly Internet stalker for whom you've provided years of entertainment.

I'm pretty sure we could hang. o:)

JP

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:33 am

Daughter Of Yahweh wrote:"Frans" is pretty awesome. :)
But then we have to come up with definitions for "Kuklas" and "Ollies".

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:10 pm

WastesTime wrote:We are the Goblinites, aren't we?
This is a good name.

Oh...

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:14 am

Jochi wrote:
Daughter Of Yahweh wrote:"Frans" is pretty awesome. :)
But then we have to come up with definitions for "Kuklas" and "Ollies".
Or maybe Vaans, Penelos, Boschs, Ashes, and Balthiers.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:52 am

(Shamelessly using the e-maginary friends expression here)

made this and tweeted to Thunt. if you wish to join in on the WB, then the link to the tweet is here: https://twitter.com/devaItiden/statuses ... 0815515648

spoiler for image size:
► Show Spoiler
Edit: also know, the "worship" part of this image is meant in the most friendly way of jesting, please do NOT start to actually make notions of fan worship, Thunt would much rather see you all as equals as I understand it from his live sessions....
-Best regards LAYF

randint
Remains Silent
UStream Username: randint

Post by randint » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:20 am

My question is, is this the end of Goblins?

I don't know what Thunt has been going through, but I've been battling depression over the past two years and after the worst times I've had, I just never wanted to have anything that reminded me of it.

I have no problem with Thunt taking a break, and I don't have a problem if it's the end of the comics. I sort of know how it feels. I'm just curious if it is the end

Jural
Whispers Softly

Post by Jural » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 am

randint wrote:My question is, is this the end of Goblins?

I think the honest answer is that nobody knows for sure. I'm hopeful not, but we just don't know for sure until the author can get back into his comfort zone.

I don't pretend to know Thunt or his situation well enough to even venture a guess, but I'm optimistic!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:56 am

randint wrote:My question is, is this the end of Goblins?
It is not the intended end.
If the comic ends here and now it's one of those unannounced endless hiatus...

Thunt wishes to tell the complete story, but we'll have to wait.
All will be clearer once we've reached the year 2115, so please be patientAnd no, there's no typo in the year numbering. Please be patient.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)