Other Webcomics & the Webcomicverse

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Other Webcomics & the Webcomicverse

Post by Tofu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

To start this thread, I thought I would share my latest webcomic discovery that had me up until late working through the archives until I had caught up. Then my TOP FIVE, and then another site that relates to webcomics, but is not a webcomic itself - in this case a review site.

Latest Webcomic Discovery

For those looking for a newcomic I only just found (you may have already found it) I recommend ps238 - starts here and reviewed here

My Top 5 - I seem to have a thing about webcomics starting with G

Goblins
GirlGenius
Quantum Vibe
Gunnerkrigg Court
Genocide Man

My Favourite (non)Webcomic space

Tangents reviews

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Re: Other Webcomics & the Webcomicverse

Post by TinSoldier » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 pm

I only read a few webcomics, of which Goblins is one.

I also read Sinfest daily.

I read The Order of the Stick.

And I read Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 am

Oh hey, YAFGC is updating again. Neat!

There's a few I check up on every now and then. Only a small handful I read regularly. (leaving out urls for ones already linked)
Girl Genius,
Unsounded,
XKCD,
Will Save World For Gold,
and of course Goblins.
There's a few others that I should probably also count in there because I check in on them roughly once a week, but it's not exactly regular, just as the mood strikes me. YAFGC was among them. And OOTS, and
Erfworld,
Romantically Apocalyptic,
JL8,
and Spinerette.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:00 am

There are no other webcomics.

mnem
Now get out of my way so I can read...

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 am

Other than Goblins, I really only read
Gunnerkrigg Court and
MGDMT

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Tabletop gamers may appreciate Darths & Droids, which is a screencap comic chronicling the adventures of an Aussie RPG group in an alternate universe without Star Wars.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00001.htm
http://spacetrawler.com/2010/01/01/spacetrawler-4/

AKA freefall and spacetrawler. Freefall: theivish Sam, engineer dogperson, robots! Spacetrawler: humanity's best interact with a galaxy that uses slaves. But really, both are much more than that, and very funny at times.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Darths and Droids, I agree, is another awesome tabletop-gaming comic :D
I read Romantically Apocalyptic ( http://romanticallyapocalyptic.com/ ), it's actually where I heard of Goblins the first time (some voting contest between the two to see which was more publicly liked). It used to be my favorite but Goblins slowly took that title. I also occasionally read Ctrl-Alt-Del
I am high in fructose.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 pm

I believe that XKCD and OOTS have already been mentioned, but some of my other favorites are...

Savage Chickens
The Punchline is Machismo
Megatokyo

Some others that I might post later, but thats good for now.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Oh! Randomly remembered Oglaf. It's not in my favorites for obvious reasons, so I hardly remember to check it.
I am high in fructose.

Alecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Alecat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 am

I love, love, love this comic that I recently found: A Redtail's Dream
Its become my favourite very quickly. The story is simple but the art is lovely. It also kinda feels like a journey with the artist - this is their 'practice comic' - and the archive evolving from having no commentary, to having commentary, to having a comment system as well is actually pretty neat to me. It feels like everything is evolving.

Plus, it updates six days a week!!!

Other comics I read... Sluggy Freelance was my first webcomic love, but it's got a long archive and has been a bit weak lately.
I enjoy the Superfogeys a comic about elderly superheroes.
For more eye-candy, Toilet Genie is a must, I love the watercolour paintings in this comic. Currently on hiatus kinda because the artist is doing a bunch of commissions for a card game.
The Fox Sister is lovely, the storytelling is great and I like how its pace suits its once-a-week updates. Some comics work better all in one go than others... like,
Dreamless. Often when recommending webcomics, it's easy to forget to mention the ones that have already ended. But these are the best comics to read - there's an ending waiting there for you!

There are heaps more, but these are just a few that I enjoy that aren't as well known.

[edit] I should give Romantically Apocalyptic a go, but every time I look at that comic I just yearn for more Gone with the Blastwave

[edit 2] Most of my comics aren't along the same lines as Goblins, (I used to read adventure comics, but somehow they've fallen off my regular reading...) but for a ton of fantasy/fiction meta-humour all wrapped up in fun teen drama, Footloose has you covered.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 am

El Goonish Shive. Plot and setting are interesting plus 11 years of frequent updates.

Useless Trivia Man
Remains Silent
Location: Middle Earth, or is it the Midwest? Which one has hobbits? Yeah, that one.

Post by Useless Trivia Man » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm a lifelong fantasy gamer. Aside from the obvious #1 webcomic of choice and those already mentioned, I also regularly read:

Rusty and Company - A rust monster, a gelatinous cube, and a mimic decide to follow in the GAP's footsteps and become adventurers. Much hilarity ensues!

Skullkickers - I just got introduced to this excellent comic. If you're at all a fan of swashbucklin' fantasy action, you're doing yourself a disservice if you ain't reading this one.

d20 Monkey - This one hasn't been around all that long (read: shorter backlog!) but it's frickin' hilarious. There is some NSFW language in there, though.

Looking For Group and Least I Could Do, both from Blind Ferret. I'm guessing I don't need to explain why these two are awesome.

Guilded Age - Another I've only recently discovered. This comic combines great fantasy action, intriguing character depth, and humor very well.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am

Ugh, I'm checking about 70 webcomics on a daily or weekly basis. Don't get me started enumarating all of them. Reading 4-5 in comparison seems like a light time passer.

Now I feel like a nerd. Oh wait, that's good here, isn't it?
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

Wow, I thought that my list of about 15 comics is way too big.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

If anyone hasn't checked out survivingtheworld.net I'd recommend giving it a shot.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:16 am

Having committed to this being my new community of choice (I suppose I could have gone with the XKCD or QC forums, but I've never quite felt at home on either, perhaps because they're not linked on the main pages of their comics), I can't wait until it grows large enough to have a distinct "other webcomics" thread like GITP did, with a thread for each comic (and numerous threads for some of them).

I came here today hoping to discuss Oglaf at some length. I see it's already been mentioned, but I probably shouldn't go into full detail about my feelings on an NSFW comic on the first page of a general-purpose thread. Should I start an Oglaf-specific thread, or continue to wait a while.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 am

Useless Trivia Man wrote:Looking For Group and Least I Could Do, both from Blind Ferret. I'm guessing I don't need to explain why these two are awesome.
:x No, but you might explain why you are pimping the people that allowed our forum to die, if not killed it outright. The only thing I can do to them is to NEVER give them any of my business or pageviews again.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:
Useless Trivia Man wrote:Looking For Group and Least I Could Do, both from Blind Ferret. I'm guessing I don't need to explain why these two are awesome.
:x No, but you might explain why you are pimping the people that allowed our forum to die, if not killed it outright. The only thing I can do to them is to NEVER give them any of my business or pageviews again.
They host Goblins.

Yes, they screwed up with the forum, but we've learned our lesson and got a new home for that. They also pay THunt's bills.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 pm

willpell wrote: I came here today hoping to discuss Oglaf at some length. I see it's already been mentioned, but I probably shouldn't go into full detail about my feelings on an NSFW comic on the first page of a general-purpose thread. Should I start an Oglaf-specific thread, or continue to wait a while.
I find Oglaf hilarious. Sure it is heavily NSFW, and the jokes require a certain mindset, but it is nevertheless fun. The winter queen is comedy gold alone. :D

I don't think we need a separate thread / comic, though.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

LooksAndSmiles wrote:
willpell wrote: I came here today hoping to discuss Oglaf at some length. I see it's already been mentioned, but I probably shouldn't go into full detail about my feelings on an NSFW comic on the first page of a general-purpose thread. Should I start an Oglaf-specific thread, or continue to wait a while.
I find Oglaf hilarious. Sure it is heavily NSFW, and the jokes require a certain mindset, but it is nevertheless fun. The winter queen is comedy gold alone. :D

I don't think we need a separate thread / comic, though.
You're welcome to create one here in the Communities forum if you'd like, though. :)

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:51 pm

If you all are going to discus a NSFW comic, then I'd appreciate it if you would do that in a separate dedicated thread where the first post mentions the NSFW, so that people can avoid it if they want. Thanks.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:04 pm

RocketScientist wrote:You're welcome to create one here in the Communities forum if you'd like, though. :)
Done.
ThroughTheWell wrote:If you all are going to discus a NSFW comic, then I'd appreciate it if you would do that in a separate dedicated thread where the first post mentions the NSFW, so that people can avoid it if they want. Thanks.
Also done. Very clearly labeled I believe; if anyone has a better idea let me know.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 pm

If anyone with a few hours to spare (and judging from how often I see certain people on here, I would say there are quite a few of you), and is interested in older (circa. 1971) discontinued fantasy comics I would suggest giving Elfquest a go. It is a fun read with a nice little storyline and is free online at elfquest.com. I have personally read the whole series several times and it hold a little special place in my heart.

http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html -Direct link to their gallery of comics.
Last edited by Arydra on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am

Arydra wrote:If anyone a a few hours to spare (and judging from how often I see certain people on here, I would say there are quite a few of you), and is interested in older (circa. 1971) discontinued fantasy comics I would suggest giving Elfquest a go. It is a fun read with a nice little storyline and is free online at elfquest.com. I have personally read the whole series several times and it hold a little special place in my heart.

http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics3.html -Direct link to their gallery of comics.
Oh, wow! That's so cool, I remember looking for the physical copies of these at the library when I was a kid.

Thunt was inspired by this comic before he started Goblins.