Username Explanations

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Username Explanations

Post by Krulle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:57 am

I am. I hope Fun does not mind too much.
I like to play with my fun before devouring it.
Or is there a spelling error somewhere?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:02 am

Krulle wrote:You pointed out that you're sometimes ridiculously sensitive and that that could destroy fun.
You might want to re-read that post. :lol:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:09 am

I used the small "f" on purpose.
I don't want Fun to be destroyed....

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:52 am

How is this related to you misreading Hates-fun's post? I don't get it.

Ooooh wait, I see! "Sensible" can mean "sensitive"! Damned English. But I think Hates-fun didn't mean to use it that way.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:10 am

gamecreator wrote: Ooooh wait, I see! "Sensible" can mean "sensitive"! Damned English. But I think Hates-fun didn't mean to use it that way.
Generally not, but that can be where the confusion is... Sensible usually refers to someone who is practical, level headed, logical, etc. (Which is how Hates Fun is describing him/herself).

While sensitive can mean empathetic, caring, etc when used positively, and overemotional, quick to take offense, and whiny when used negatively (which is how Krulle was taking it and giving advice on how not to get 'butthurt' on the internet).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:38 am

Indeed. That's what I said.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:58 pm

gamecreator wrote:Indeed. That's what I said.
Well, they don't mean the same. Ever.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:08 pm

The problem people have with their native language is that they always believe so blindly they know everything about it. Please don't forget this and don't ignore your language.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sensible wrote:(archaic) Liable to external impression; easily affected; sensitive.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:16 pm

gamecreator wrote:The problem people have with their native language is that they always believe so blindly they know everything about it. Please don't forget this and don't ignore your language.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sensible wrote:(archaic) Liable to external impression; easily affected; sensitive.
The English language is silly...meaning that it is blessed.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:18 pm

EDIT: this all stemmed from Krulle misreading Sensible as Sensitive. Bad Krulle! :P

Notice it says (archaic)? That means many decades ago it probably did mean that, but certainly not in today's modern grammar. Don't ignore your parentheses.
sensible
╦ês╔øns╔¬b(╔Ö)l/Submit
adjective
adjective: sensible
done or chosen in accordance with wisdom or prudence; likely to be of benefit.
"I cannot believe that it is sensible to spend so much"
synonyms: practical, realistic, responsible, full of common sense, reasonable, rational, logical, sound, circumspect, balanced, sober, no-nonsense, pragmatic, level-headed, serious-minded, thoughtful, commonsensical, down-to-earth, wise, prudent, mature; More
antonyms: foolish
(of a person) possessing or displaying prudence.
"he was a sensible and capable boy"
synonyms: practical, realistic, responsible, full of common sense, reasonable, rational, logical, sound, circumspect, balanced, sober, no-nonsense, pragmatic, level-headed, serious-minded, thoughtful, commonsensical, down-to-earth, wise, prudent, mature; More
(of an object) practical and functional rather than decorative.
"Mum always made me have sensible shoes"
archaic
readily perceived; appreciable.
"it will effect a sensible reduction in these figures"
able to notice or appreciate; not unaware of.
"we are sensible of the difficulties he faces"
Last edited by Synch on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:20 pm

gamecreator wrote:The problem people have with their native language is that they always believe so blindly they know everything about it. Please don't forget this and don't ignore your language.
Also, you wanted to know when you're potentially causing offence and why? What you just said could be taken offensively, calling someone naive and ignorant. Again with the assumption.

This is your friendly Social Cues Advisor with a tip on how not to be a dick :)
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm

willpell wrote:The English language is silly...meaning that it is blessed.
Sometimes I have an impression that some of it was masterfully crafted to not make sense on purpose.
Synch wrote: EDIT: this all stemmed from Krulle misreading Sensible as Sensitive. Bad Krulle! :P
Probably not. Or Krulle didn't get my cue earlier, but this seems less likely.
Synch wrote: Notice it says (archaic)? That means many decades ago it probably did mean that, but certainly not in today's modern grammar. Don't ignore your parentheses.
"Sensitive" is listed as a translation to "sensible" in my version of Lingvo, without any archaics. Unless you consider 2004 to be archaic, that label seems to be rather subjective in this case.
Synch wrote: Also, you wanted to know when you're potentially causing offence and why? What you just said could be taken offensively, calling someone naive and ignorant. Again with the assumption.
Yes, it could be. But it would mean assuming many things along with meaning that I insulted all people with a native language, myself included. Also note spiderwrangler saying "generally not", then changing his mind to "never ever ever". I might have offended him already with my revelation about word "sensible" and he was just tolerant the first time.
Should I have said "they arrogantly think they know everything" instead? I think that sounds more offensive. And to tell the truth, people are prone to assuming that they are always right.

Hates-fun

Post by Hates-fun » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:37 pm

I'm certainly glad this miscommunication got sorted out, it is kind of entertaining what it turned into
I appreciate your advice, but I'm not at all sensitive In fact, I barely have feelings, so don't worry about me, Krulle
Let me know when I'm ruining lives. I don't mean to

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Yeah fair enough GC.

Long story short: Hates-Fun is probably sensible, not sensitive, as someone who hates fun is probably very serious and no-nonsense :)

EDIT:
Hates-fun wrote:I'm certainly glad this miscommunication got sorted out, it is kind of entertaining what it turned into
Oh, you get a LOT of that around here :) Forums are really bad for lack of tone/missing sarcasm/other social miscommunication :)
► Show Spoiler

Hates-fun

Post by Hates-fun » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Synch wrote:
Hates-fun wrote:I'm certainly glad this miscommunication got sorted out, it is kind of entertaining what it turned into
Oh, you get a LOT of that around here :) Forums are really bad for lack of tone/missing sarcasm/other social miscommunication :)
Well the overall atmosphere around here seems to be positive, so I'm not sure how I could ever actually be upset with a misunderstanding. Especially after seeing such dedication towards sorting everything out

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 pm

The thing about non native language speakers is they misunderstand nuances of use and context, and when someone takes the time to illustrate the differences, they bloviate (how's that for archaic?) while waving dictionaries about to support their claim that they are right and anyone that is a native speaker is a naive fool.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:50 pm

Let's try not to descend (further) into sniping. Krulle made a joke. It missed its mark. It's since been cleared up and we've welcomed a new member to the community. Yay!

Welcome to the nuthouse, Hates-fun! I hope you'll have... uhm... a pleasant and fulfilling time amongst us. (Gotta be careful about how you use the f-word here... ;) )
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:12 am

spiderwrangler wrote:The thing about non native language speakers is they misunderstand nuances of use and context, and when someone takes the time to illustrate the differences, they bloviate (how's that for archaic?) while waving dictionaries about to support their claim that they are right and anyone that is a native speaker is a naive fool.
What nuances of the word "sensible" did I misunderstood? Or do you think I was unaware of a common meaning of the word when saying about an uncommon one? It is clear from context that I already knew "sensible" to mean something else.
You will have to forgive my elaborate speech, I'm not good at expressing myself.

Hates-fun

Post by Hates-fun » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:23 am

Oh man
I should have just told the dumb, boring story

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:39 am

No, Fun.
Look how much fun can come from one misinterpretation and bad joke on my side.

Hates-fun

Post by Hates-fun » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 am

This is fun?
Image If you say so...

I hope my silence didn't worry you Krulle! It was kind of funny once I was less confused and knew the entire context

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 am

You can be as silent as you want.
I assumed you laid back and watched the conversation, just as I did.
or went to sleep. Which may have been the more sensible thing to do. ;)

Hates-fun

Post by Hates-fun » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:26 am

Yeah, you got me, I was in bed. My Spring Break just started, and I have no plans, so sleep and internet it is!

Genius Supreme
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Genius Supreme » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Okay, my name is kind of an inside joke amongst my friend group.

It came from noticing that often the more villains announce and insist that they are "a genius", the more *horribly incompetent and stupid* they tend to be. If any of you have seen Fist of the North Star, the character "Amiba" was the original person that spawned this. He constantly announced he was a genius and that "geniuses should be able to do whatever they want!" and he bragged that he used his genius to master the main characters' super special martial better than anyone. ...then when using said martial art he accidentally blew off his own hands in an almost slapstick fashion.

We joked about this so much that "genius" became synonymous with "incompetent moron" to us. So Genius Supreme is an inside joke for - basically - "biggest moron".

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:19 am

Welcome, "moron"! ;)
May your Genius help you to learn our super special (and secret!) martial art better than we do!