I think - I think we have a huge problem here. And
► Show Spoiler
:'(

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Re: July 17th, 2017 - Expeditious Retreat

Post by TheSedated » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Oh my god...
SirButcher, I think, you're right. But I really hope it won't happen.
From what I've counted there are 15 imprints right now. Think it's safe to say shit didn't even hit the fan, what we see here is a truckload of shit shot through a turbine. But I've still got my hopes on Fumbles. Yes, he turned around, but I guess we'll see a big fat "Sen├Á├Á├Ár Vooooooorpal Kickassooooo!!!" soon. Can't wait for next update.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Personally, I would... expect Big Ears to be the one (or at least the first) to try and save the others. He's the furthest gone (-9), he lost at least one forearm AND he became a Paladin so others don't have to suffer (which is why he is missing the forearm in the first place).

But him being in the negative hit points means that he can't do anything (he shouldn't be able to move and not even talk, but we know already that Herbert doesn't seem to mind that bit of rule bending). So I'm doubtful if he can pull it off. At least I would like to see how he does it. ^^
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

But BE probably isn't as close as Thaco. It'll be up to Complains or Fumbles to step up or run away. Regardless, with 15+ souls on the cards, I doubt this will go well for anyone.

SirButcher
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by SirButcher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:Personally, I would... expect Big Ears to be the one (or at least the first) to try and save the others. He's the furthest gone (-9), he lost at least one forearm AND he became a Paladin so others don't have to suffer (which is why he is missing the forearm in the first place).

But him being in the negative hit points means that he can't do anything (he shouldn't be able to move and not even talk, but we know already that Herbert doesn't seem to mind that bit of rule bending). So I'm doubtful if he can pull it off. At least I would like to see how he does it. ^^
From the second and last image, I would say Thaco's group is the closest. Most likely the souls filling a wider and wider area until they find a goblin - which, most likely, will be Thaco (as he is closer). Thaco already very old - he won't let a youngling especially one with a huge burden kill himself - Big Ears have to save the realm from the demon. It would be very un-paladin-like to sacrifice himself for one goblin when the fate of the whole realm is in his hand. Previously it was different: he would sacrifice himself to save his friends from Kore or from Minmax but now he is on a quest which would result in everyone dying if he fails.

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh goodness gracious this can't end well. I don't want to lose Thaco, he's my favorite!
Maybe... maybe there's a monk ability that would allow him to absorb all the spirits? Empty Soul or something named like that?
The point is to have fun.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Actually, that would totally be Paladin-like. If you can, help the people in need. There is no moral question for a "greater good" solution for a Paladin. It's exactly this moral dilemma that makes Paladins interesting to play, because you should be doing the direct helping part while knowing that it might hurt your cause or mission, which is most likely also going to be a good one and of grave importance. So saying that he wouldn't sacrifice himself because it'd be un-paladinlike is simply false. Especially if you consider that BE is a bit of a good-hearted fool, and likely won't think of direct consequence of his actions beyond "I need to help, and I need to help NOW" attitude that he has.
However that is moot anyways, because he might be able to talk in Herbert's D&D world, but he surely cannot act.

This will end badly.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

vals_toy
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: valstoy

Post by vals_toy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Who ya gonna call?

KICKASSO!!

Also, it looks like BE has his hand back in the first panel. I think that's probably due to habit, what with Thunt drawing him with two hands for 12+ years.

Corrupt User
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Corrupt User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Best case scenario? Names steps in to protect his dad, but his "absorption" of the tellers' essences essentially means he gets their souls. But since he has their souls, he can resurrect them at will the way the demoness did with Biscuit. So yeah Kore, go have fun fighting off 15 spellcasters that can resurrect indefinitely. Low level or not, you are going to fail the occasional saving throw, and run out of magic at some point. You thought fighting a dwarf with a +7 weapon was bad, just wait till you also fight a regenerating demon that tumbles his way to a +12 weapon.

Overshot
Mutters to Themself

Post by Overshot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Corrupt User wrote:Best case scenario? Names steps in to protect his dad, but his "absorption" of the tellers' essences essentially means he gets their souls. But since he has their souls, he can resurrect them at will the way the demoness did with Biscuit. So yeah Kore, go have fun fighting off 15 spellcasters that can resurrect indefinitely. Low level or not, you are going to fail the occasional saving throw, and run out of magic at some point. You thought fighting a dwarf with a +7 weapon was bad, just wait till you also fight a regenerating demon that tumbles his way to a +12 weapon.
This is so far fetched.

If this happens, I will eat my hat.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:26 pm

I really hope open Thunt doesn't flinch on letting Fumbles become a teller.

Be really nice to see something good happen to him for once.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Well, Vorpal has 11 classes. So, each class can take 2 souls and be okay. We can have 7 more than are shown right now. Then, when he finally levels up to level 2 for all classes he'll be completely OP.

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Well i was right to an extent. I did think it was possible minmax would take fumbles place, but as it doesn't seem to do anything...... well........

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 pm

If Thunt pulls a Game of Thrones move again and after Chief now kills Thaco, I'm done with this.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I've got my fingers crossed Fumbles is just taking a run-up and is going to VORPAL KICKASSOOO!!!! his way into the middle of that bunch of spirits and absorb the whole damn lot of them.

I know this comics has a lot of down-er moments, but I really hope this is not going to be one of them

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 am

I can't find it now but I remember a tweet--or maybe a Patreon--where Thunt said "My little Fumbles, all grown up. Sniff."

Doesn't sound like a death sentence, but Thunt has surprised me before. Dellyn--yes. Chief--no. Klik--I can't remember... Sarel Caine--he was the classic chief henchman who goes down before the main antagonist.

I don't think I'd consider any of the other dead characters major. Strangely enough Y&B seems to continue to be important. And the Drow trio are the Kenny of adventurers.

Correct me if I'm missed anyone.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:33 am

Well, graphically, a page to have fun. Great colours, great style.
I also like the tongue of the puprle spirit in the last panel. A little devilish spirit.
Some spirits look bored, some simply don't know what to make of the situation.
I'm astonished that none of them reached a Goblin before this moment, or during the fight. I expected the "soul imprints" to run for a Goblins while the demons were around.
But apparently none was welcoming enough during the fight, so they just lingered around.

a speculative question: what would've happened to the Clan of the Cryptic Falls if during this battle all present Gbolins were killed? The ceremony has started, but none has become a teller nor has died trying (he died for other reasons) [1]. Would there be ever more spirits coming out, until the very first Goblin teller?
Could the clan EVER try again, without having to find this site and portal? Or would any Goblin stumbling over the spirits become the (dead) teller of the Clan of the Cryptic Falls if he stumbles across this portal, independent of clan affiliation?

For those interested, the transcription. Also new Goblins-website resulting in new image and page address coding, which will make it harder in the future to find additional content back.
Comic of 17 July 2017 wrote:
► Show Spoiler

@Forgets: you forgot Taps and Asks Nonsense, but then, they never were "major", nor featured much more than their own death. (I found Taps' death the best illustration of a death so far.)
And you forgot that Lizardfolk, K'Seliss. Although he had by far the best last line so far.
I'm gonna shut up now.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 am

OK, I count 15 imprints. That's... intriguing.

If I understood it well, a goblin fortune-teller is a template, right?

I can expect Fumbles to throw himself to the imprints and two things can happen: either he dies or he rolls three natural 20s in a row. The problem with the second option is that he'd become extremely powerful, probably able to cast at least level 7 cleric spells.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 am

But he's fumbles, so 3 nat 20s seems unlikely. 3 Nat 1s on the other hand could cancel each other out if he does well enough on the fumble table...

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 am

To answer the question: the ritual is ended when a new teller is welcomed or dies trying. So a dead goblin means end of ritual.

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 am

Guus wrote:To answer the question: the ritual is ended when a new teller is welcomed or dies trying. So a dead goblin means end of ritual.
Another question. Is a fortune teller a NPC class or a template? :roll:

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 am

I don't know. My last answer was based on what was said in the comic itself, but the whole class/feat/background is a homebrew as far as I know. I'd guess it'd be a prestige class, except that you need a couple levels in a prerequisite class first, so that doesn't really make sense rulewise

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 am

Guus wrote:I don't know. My last answer was based on what was said in the comic itself, but the whole class/feat/background is a homebrew as far as I know. I'd guess it'd be a prestige class, except that you need a couple levels in a prerequisite class first, so that doesn't really make sense rulewise
Yeah. You'd need class levels for prestige classes, and I assume the previous tellers didn't have them. So, either template or NPC class. The thing that confuses me the most is the mess that must be Fumbles' character sheet. He's supposed to have started with 1/11th of each class. So how does that even work? He has to reach lvl 11 to have a full level on each class? He's definitely not that far yet. So, he's got percentages of feats, skills and saving throws? How would he go about casting 1/11th of a cantrip or spell?

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 am

mustache_man wrote:
Guus wrote:So how does that even work? He has to reach lvl 11 to have a full level on each class? He's definitely not that far yet. So, he's got percentages of feats, skills and saving throws? How would he go about casting 1/11th of a cantrip or spell?
I remember a nice joke from the comic...
"I cast on you 1/11th of a sleeping spell!"
"Did it work?"
"Well, I feel kinda lethargic."

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

TheSedated wrote:
mustache_man wrote:
Guus wrote:So how does that even work? He has to reach lvl 11 to have a full level on each class? He's definitely not that far yet. So, he's got percentages of feats, skills and saving throws? How would he go about casting 1/11th of a cantrip or spell?
I remember a nice joke from the comic...
"I cast on you 1/11th of a sleeping spell!"
"Did it work?"
"Well, I feel kinda lethargic."
On this page, together with Fumbles' character sheet.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards