Civilization IV: Officially Over (see latest post)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Civilization IV: Officially Over (see latest post)

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Finished due to RL situations.

Ok, same song, new dancefloor. I hate leaving Civ III hanging but I read my last few posts and couldn't get back into it, not without all the notes I worked up getting to that point. So we're going to start with a new Civilization! No Spore-esque evolution, I'll save that for a Civ V if I do it.

I'll update it as the muse strikes, aiming for at least once a day for the first couple of weeks (though don't hold me to it).

I'm going to stick to the "five-votes-and-you-get-a-character-route", as that seemed to work well the last time. There will be a maximum of 20 slots open for characters; if a player dies and there are people who have voted 5 times and are waiting for a character, then they get priority.

Players will start with 3 Standard Actions, and 1 Finest Hour, as per the usual. Also, have some copypasta:

As last time, Standard Actions are basic actions that get a sentence or two "of note" in the write up for each month (keep me honest if I forget, thanks) with a 20% chance for Something Interesting to happen. Finest Hours are as usual the game changers. One Standard Action has a 25% chance to regenerate every 3 months (flat, so I roll on .03, .06, .09, and .12), and you can stockpile up to 15. The original Standard Action is a 20% chance of Something Interesting happening or being mentioned. Each Bolster adds 25%, for a total of 95% if three people add their Standard Actions to the pile. If something is Bolstered, it cannot have a Finest Hour tacked onto it. One might run concurrently, but as something separate that might succeed or might fail. And no, one character can't use more than one Standard Action in a month.

At Midsummer, each character has a 50% chance to regenerate another Standard Action (so one at 25% and one at 50%). If you run out of actions, the regeneration chance at the next one increases to 50% and will remain there until you regenerate at least one action.

At Winter's Meet, each character has two 50% rolls to regenerate Standard Actions (and a third roll is made if both of those fail and you're still at 0 actions), and a 25% chance to regenerate a Finest Hour. You can stockpile up to three of those (but cannot use more than one in an action). You can't trade in Standard Actions to get Finest Hours (or vice versa).

Any time Something Interesting happens as the result of a Standard Action or Finest Hour, a d100 roll for something "Mysterious" also happens, geared to be in theme with whatever it is that is interesting. Mysterious events have an equal likelihood of being positive or negative (50/50 on d100, 51+ is positive). If the roll for a Mysterious happening is successful, the Mysterious Aspect rating drops by 70 and a second d100 is rolled for the exact kind of Mysterious Event. One roll per action, until something happens. This means no more than one Mysterious event in a month, and there will never be more than three running at the same time.

For each Mysterious Event in play or in effect (whether a quest plot or otherwise), the aspect rating drops by another 5 per month if the value is positive. So the more you have, the lesser the chance of another one popping up.
► Show Spoiler
I will be using Random.Org's random number generator on its front page to roll the percentages, same as the last time. http://www.random.org/

Civ III had the EXP pot cap a bit low, so I'm going to double it. The experience pot caps at ((average level of Aspects +4)* 14); you receive a Perk once per four Aspect Levels once each even numbered level and may earn more through other means but you'll have to discover those on your own. Experience that overflows the pot goes into a "stored potential" pool that can be used to buy additional actions at Winter's Meet.

As last time, Experience will be divided among different Aspects, with each Aspect having three specific trees. This is copypasted from the last Civilization:

Food And Water: Naturally, the better the food/food preparation methods, the bigger the bonuses to personal HP, skills, etc. Stacks with the Personal Aspect. It's divided into the Basics Tree, the Gourmet Tree and the Culture Tree. Basics deals with food preparation/cleanliness, Gourmet for new and untested dishes and Culture for dealing with other civilizations' foods.

Home and Family: Home and Family is effectively the morale of the people. The higher the morale, the better the bonuses given by "good" Mystery rolls. More Home and Family means bigger population increases every Winter's Meet. It's divided into three trees: Home Defense, Family Circle, and Loyalty. More Home Defense means more goblins leaving their homes for the frontlines, Family Circle increases population, and Loyalty is self-explaining (so no Thaco / Kills a Werebear situations).

Village Defense: Just as it sounds, but no keep is invulnerable and no king rules forever. The three trees for this one are Outer Defenses, Inner Sanctum, and Last Stand. Those are pretty self-explaining.

Dungeoneering: This is the skill of your explorers to Find Cool Stuff ranging from dungeon complexes to treasure hoards, as well as disarm traps, figure out puzzles, and Kill Big Things. It's divided into the Mazefinding, Lootseeking and Dungeon Combat trees. Mazefinding deals with both navigation to and within dungeons, Lootseeking is finding hidden Shinies, and Dungeon Combat is just that.

Warfare: This is a general term for big group battles. If you run across other clans of Things that go on the warpath, this Aspect determines success or failure. It has the trees of Group Tactics, Single Tactics and Magic Tactics. Pretty self-explaining.

Tactics: Every level of this and you get a new (relatively minor) "trick up your sleeve" which can be used to boost one of the other Aspects. The first level might be a Social Tactic, the next a Warfare one. Tactics earned are -randomly- chosen and always increase EXP rate of other Aspects, stacking exponentially. You stand to make out like guildmaster thieves if I roll several of the same Tactics in a row.

Technology: It ain't no Great Metal Dragon, but it's the next best thing. More technology skill means improved tool use. It's divided into the Tool Tree, the Trap Tree, and the Blueprints Tree. Tools are goblin-sized or smaller; Traps are just that and Blueprints are for the big things (Slingapults, Sentries). If it needs Blueprints, no matter how scaled-down it gets, it will always need Blueprints.

Personal: This Aspect deals with personal goblin stats. Increases here improve goblins as a whole (including the Players!). Think of these as "unclassed levels". It doesn't have Trees; just that your individual goblin stats improve. You can trade in 4 Aspect Levels for one G.A.P. (no more than 5) but remember your traditions... heh heh heh.

Social: Self-explanatory. High Social means more Bob McFreds and better interaction results. Its three trees are People, Language and Goods. Pretty self-explaining.

Spiritual: Exactly as it sounds. The higher the value the more extreme the omen or magical event that you could cause or defend against, and the more attention that Ol' Mags pays you. It's divided into the Divine Focus Tree, The Smite Tree and the Healing Tree. Divine Focus deals with attention to/from deities, Smite for long range spiritual attacks (nightmares, visions, etc), and Healing is self-explaining.

Sorcery: The Magic side of things. Casters start at Level 0, and gain one level of spells at Level 4. After that, it's (Aspect Level +1) in levels gained before a new spell level is achieved (Aspect Level 4, 9, 15, 22, 30, 39, and 50). Its trees are Spell School, Ley Line and I.M.E. Spell School opens specializations, Ley Line regenerates magic faster and opens new sources, and IME grants individual potential powers.

The Mystery Aspect: This is the "luck and strangeness" aspect. The higher this value, the more mysterious/magical/lucky things that may, can, or will happen. Can go negative, caps at 200, drops by 70 if a Mysterious Event happens and increases by anywhere from 7 to 15 per month. I'm actually allocating EXP here this time; every level taken will increase the Mystery roll by 1 (this is before Perks).

Level costs for the Aspects increase every (Value of previous level + (7 + Aspect Level)) EXP; the first level is 7 EXP, then it resets to 0, the second is (7 + (7+1)) EXP [15], the third is (15 + (7+2)) or 24, the fourth is 34, and so on up until 210 EXP, then it's every 210 thereafter. For the curious, the exact EXP numbers are 7, 15, 24, 34, 45, 57, 70, 84, 99, 115, 132, 150, 169, 189, and every 210 thereafter.

Perks came awfully slow last time, so I'm going to set it so that every Even level gets a Perk.

Two Aspects are Primary (1 EXP per month, 2 at Midsummer, 2 at Winter's Meet)
Three are Secondary (.5 EXP per month, 1 at Midsummer, 1 at Winter's Meet)
The rest are Tertiary (.25 EXP a month, .5 at Midsummer, 1 at Winter's Meet)

At Midsummer, you can trade in Standard Actions and Finest Hours to the EXP pot (Standard Actions are 4 EXP, Finest Hours are 7 EXP).

The "pot" for EXP spending increases by 2d3+1 every month, with a 20% chance to increase by 50% of its current total at Midsummer. You can spend EXP at Winter's Meet.

You begin with 30 levels to distribute, with no more than six in any one Aspect. Anything getting more than one Perk at the start will get one perk per month until you're caught up.

*does a bad Spy voice* Gentlemen.
===================================================================
The Time Period: 985.06
Incoming Situations:
Statues and The Dead:
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Characters (Players):
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Characters (Living NPCs):
► Show Spoiler
Known Knowledge:
► Show Spoiler
Societals:
► Show Spoiler
Random.org Rolls made:
► Show Spoiler
Towns and Villages
► Show Spoiler
The Poorly Locked Chest (and other assorted Treasure Chests):
► Show Spoiler
The Aspects and Experience:
► Show Spoiler
Current Questplots: 0/3:

The Situation:

Maglubiyet, looking for a new place to enrich (or infest, depending on your point of view), has plopped down a village's worth of goblins on a (mostly) unexplored continent. You know most of the major landmarks/borders, and have the choice of where to settle. The tribe has no "positions of power" filled currently... there is no chief, witch doctor, shaman or anything; Ol' Mags is content with letting the group hash that out on your own.

The first thing that needs to be done is that a location needs to be selected for the new landing point, which also has no name currently but you're sure you'll come up with one. There are sixteen locations to pick from:
► Show Spoiler
So where are you going, and how are you spreading your levels out? All positions of power will be filled in at Winter's Meet; this first vote for where to settle/level allotment does NOT count towards the 5 votes needed for characters (that... starts with the next post).
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 am, edited 58 times in total.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

lozlo
Speaks Quietly

Re: Civilization IV

Post by lozlo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Grifons you say? 6 it be then

Also, now for something compleatly different.

Primary: Social, tactics.
sec: Home, food and defence (THIS BE MY LAND)
tert: the rest.

6 lvl's in food and water since there is so little there
the rest spread out evenly.

Now lets wait for people to tell me how wrong I am :D
I hazz egg :D

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Option numb 1........0
Option numb 2........0
Option numb 3........0
Option numb 4........0
Option numb 5........0
Option numb 6........0
Option numb 7........0
Option numb 8........0
Option numb 9........0
Option numb 10........0
Option numb 11........0
Option numb 12........0
Option numb 13........0
Option numb 14........0
Option numb 15........2 (Lozlo, Bob)
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.) 1 (lozlo)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.) 2 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMan)
16.)
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loki
Of Few Words

Post by Loki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.) 2 (lozlo, Loki)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
ÔÇ£Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos, IÔÇÖm an agent of chaos , and you know the thing about chaos? ItÔÇÖs fair."

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.) 2 (lozlo, Loki)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 1 (alavar)
14.)

Food And Water: 2
Home and Family: 2
Village Defense: 2
Dungeoneering: 2
Warfare: 2
Tactics: 3
Technology: 3
Personal: 4
Social: 4
Spiritual: 3
Sorcery: 3

Primary: Sorcery, Warfare
Secondary: Technology, Spiritual, Social
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:13 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 2 (lozlo, Loki)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 1 (alavar)
14.)

Dungeoneering: 3
Tactics: 2
Technology: 4
Social: 3
Spiritual: 2
Sorcery: 4

Primary: Sorcery, Technology
Secondary: Warfare, Home and Family, Dungeoneering

Donnigan
Chronically Blathering
UStream Username: Donnigan90

Post by Donnigan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:18 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 3 (lozlo, Loki, Donnigan)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 1 (alavar)
14.)

Home and Family: 4
Dungeoneering: 3
Technology: 4
Social: 3
Sorcery: 2

Primary:Home and Family Technology
Secondary: Social, Dungeoneering, Personal
Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!

¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 3 (lozlo, Loki, Donnigan)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 2 (alavar, Rogbull)
14.)
15.) 2 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMan

13 seems to be a very interesting place.

Food And Water: 3
Village Defense: 3
Dungeoneering: 1
Tactics: 5
Technology: 2
Social: 5
Sorcery: 1

Primary: Tactic, social
Secondary: Personal, food and water, village defense

Game seems rather complicated but I'm sure I'd get the hand of it fast enough ( If I get 5 votes atleast ) :)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:51 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 4 (lozlo, Loki, Donnigan,SeeAMoose)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 2 (alavar, Rogbull)
14.)

13 seems to be a very interesting place.

Village Defense: 4
Dungeoneering:
Warfare: 3
Tactics: 1
Technology: 6
Social: 2
Spiritual: 4

Primary: Technology, Spiritual :Technology because it served us very well in Civ III and Civ I... and has the potential to be very useful if we get pick somewhere with a lot of resources. Spiritual because no matter where we end up I suspect we are going to need all the support we can get
Secondary: Personal, Village Defense, Sorcery

Rogbull, I would encourage you to read the explanation of tactics carefully, because it does not do what you might expect given its name.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

HerdsCats
Of Few Words
UStream Username: HerdsCats
Location: Somewhere between a tub and a sharp pointy set of teeth

Post by HerdsCats » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 pm

I've never tried to follow one of these from the beginning before :shock:

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 3 (alavar, Rogbull, HerdsCats)
14.)

Food And Water: 3
Dungeoneering:
Warfare: 4
Technology: 6
Personal: 5
Social: 1
Spiritual:3

Primary: Technology, Personal
Secondary: Warfare, Spiritual, Food and Water
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

Lokthar
Of Few Words

Post by Lokthar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 pm

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
14.)
15.) 3 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMann, Lokthar)

Primary Food, Warfare
Secondary Technology, Spiritual, Sorcery

Food And Water: Level 4
Home and Family: Level 3
Village Defense: Level 2
Dungeoneering: Level 2
Warfare: Level 5
Tactics: Level 1
Technology: Level 2
Personal: Level 5
Social: Level 1
Spiritual: Level 2
Sorcery: Level 2
Mystery: Level 1

Primary
Food And Water: 1 (Lokthar)
Home and Family: 1 (Donnigan)
Village Defense:
Dungeoneering:
Warfare: 2 (Lokthar, Alavar)
Tactics: 1 (Rogbull)
Technology: 4 (Herds, Moose, Donnigan, Madmartin)
Personal: 1 (Herds)
Social: 1 (Rogbull)
Spiritual: 1 (Moose)
Sorcery: 2 (Madmartin, Alavar)
Mystery:

Secondary
Food And Water:2 (Herds, Rogbull)
Home and Family:1 (Madmartin)
Village Defense: 2 (Moose, Rogbull)
Dungeoneering: 2 (Donnigan, Madmartin)
Warfare: 2 (Herds, Madmartin)
Tactics:
Technology: 2 (Lokthar, Alavar)
Personal: 3 (Moose, Rogbull, Donnigan)
Social: 2 (Donnigan, Alavar)
Spiritual: 3 (Lokthar, Herds, Alavar)
Sorcery: 2 (Lokthar, Moose)
Mystery:
Last edited by Lokthar on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athedia
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Athedia

Post by Athedia » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 pm

This is interesting, but I don't understand it fully. Mind having a lurker?
Thank you anonymous friend from college who made the cute ninja. I insist on using it as my avatar until you join the forums since you love the comic. Take that.

Okay, she joined but I am not taking this down. Come on, look at the cute.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Athedia wrote:This is interesting, but I don't understand it fully. Mind having a lurker?
Feel free to lurk, ask questions, vote, whatever. Right now we're still kind of setting up where the goblins of this "civilization" are going to be setting up shop, then I'll weave stories around their little village. Some of the forumites here could tell you some good stories of the Slingapults, Great Metal Dragon, Bob McFred, and others. :) Next post tomorrow and we'll get this thing underway!

Lokthar
Of Few Words

Post by Lokthar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Don't remember too much about it, but I'm pretty sure we launched a large feline into a mountain range once with slingapults. That and everyone poured most of their finest hours into what was essentially mecha-godzilla.

lozlo
Speaks Quietly

Post by lozlo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 pm

urggg decicions .... changing it back to 15!

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 3 ( Loki, Donnigan,SeeAMoose)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
14.)
15.) 4 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMann, Lokthar, lozlo)
I hazz egg :D

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 am

Torn between 6 and 15... Mmm, let's go 6. On phone, copypasta lists are hard, sorry.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:46 am

(I don't really care too much where we settle so I'll jump in once the decision has been made. :P)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 am

Looks like there's a tie now for Purple Mountain and the Citoxe Desert at 4 votes apiece. I'll give it a few more hours to see if someone does a tiebreaker, then write up the post.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:25 am

What is it with you guys and inhospitable lands? :roll:

Anyway, I'm going with 15. Because yay, Mutants! >:D

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 4 ( Loki, Donnigan,SeeAMoose, nikohl)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
14.)
15.) 5 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMann, Lokthar, lozlo, Dusk9)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 am

Come on guys, do we really want to live in a desert?
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:05 am

If 13 won't have any chance of success, I would like to change my vote to no. 6

But I still want 13 to win :sulk:, so if anyone change mind, I would too.
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:45 am

[quote="Dusk9"1)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 5 ( Loki, Donnigan,SeeAMoose, nikohl,alavar)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 2 (Rogbull, HerdsCats)
14.)
15.) 5 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMann, Lokthar, lozlo, Dusk9)[/quote]

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

Not going to lie but I want to see Mutants goblins.

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.) 1 (madmartin26)
5.)
6.) 5 ( Loki, Donnigan,SeeAMoose, nikohl,alavar)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.) 2 (Rogbull, HerdsCats)
14.)
15.) 6 (I'mBob, SuperVaderMann, Lokthar, lozlo, Dusk9, Nolandking)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:57 am

Nolandking casts the deciding vote; I'll be writing the post in bits and pieces through the day and will put it up later tonight.