Drizzt Do'Urden

Discuss the comic here!
Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Re: Drizzt Do'Urden

Post by Kelten » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:30 am

I remember killing Drizzt... once in baldur's gate 1 and once in baldur's gate 2
...damn he was hard to kill in baldur's gate 1
I recommend Nikohl's suggestion, is far as I know that exact image never happened in the book. Feels like a mixture of two battles.
Click here if you want to beat me up!

knightwalkr
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Willie Pierce

Post by knightwalkr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Id leave out the battle of drizzt and anyone else. The way the books list his fighting style look up Filipino Martial Arts Kali or Arnis. He fights in a very fluid fighting style. I have seen many videos of people who are martial artist trying to emulate him for the hell of it; non of them came off as competent is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsO9qMdzsgM Both of the actors are super skilled and took months of choreographing to get that few seconds of film down.

Kelten
Converses Frequently

Post by Kelten » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Urk, that was some horrible gear they used...
You should order from my larper friend if you want to make something serious http://sharpener.deviantart.com/
or talk with some local cosplayers, dont make a film with bad gear. Drizzt is all gear. If you have cool gear you will get away with crappy fighting.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

That pic of 'cool gear'... well it looks like leather, but worse it has no neck, leg, shoulder or elbow protection, which are all fair targets containing arteries.

The video... the barbarian, Wulfgar IIRC, should either have been shirtless the entire time so we'ed know he has mucsles, or been played by Swartzeneger. The kid looked like a kid, not a barbarian. And what an odd length of the hammer handle. Then the fighting... while it did look fluid, it also looked like they were aiming for each others weapons as opposed to trying to get to the other guy. Showy, but not optimaly effective. Having said that, the panther was awesome, and some of the special effects were good. The dwarf beard looked fake, and it would have been nice to have a cave scene that was actualy cavey. Still, it was one of the better amature Drizzt videos I've seen.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Kelten
Converses Frequently

Post by Kelten » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:18 am

Its real leather, one of his earlier creations... He makes even cooler stuff now :p beautiful handmade armor with breathtaking patterns.
We go more for appearance then actual protection when larping in sweden. Its not as if the swords can damage you for real...

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 am

'Loooks" wise, yes it is cool looking, scaled, and layered. Definately lots of work and artistic. I could definately see it as being evocative of drow style mithral armor, darkened, with themes of bats and spiders in it as well. Art wise, I like it. But I've poked things with swords before and I could not help seeing the openings in the armor.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Kelten
Converses Frequently

Post by Kelten » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:06 am

he, its quite thin leather aswell if i remember correctly. Makes it easier to shape, but it wont help much as "real" protection :p
I have bin on a few larps where you use real swords (not sharpened), but the only "real" protection is 2-3 mm plate armor, with a chain-mail, 6mm leather and gammbe underneath... but god, the extra wait is horrible! then again, you could bash me with a sharp sword all day and i wouldn't get a bruise!

I usually go without armor, or with a simple chainmail, leather and plate both hinder your movement to much, no matter what fantasy books say...

Hm... cant find a picture... ill show it later!

knightwalkr
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by knightwalkr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29 am

I have no affiliation with them....

but drizzt is a lot more than gear. they put more gear on them than was listed in the story. drizzt had a cloak but his armor was thin and milable. He isnt about flash he was humble and should have been looked at in the bearest of armor.

I didnt like wulfgar in it...

But I also thought they did a good job with Artemis and Drizzt.... and yeah they aimed at weapons but still the fighting was closer to on par than any ive seen. most look like crap because they have people who have no clue about how to actually handle the weapons in question.

Drizzt is all about the skill with the weapons bad makup could be forgiven because of bidget but dont make something that your actors cant live up to the character. A good example of this is Ben Aflack in DareDevil. He didn't have the skill to even come close to the character no matter how good his costume looked he still looked like shit when he moved. And now they are casting him as Batman an even more complex character. Its going to be worse than Clooney in the part. Christian bale is by far the best Ive seen because he gave it his all. And he played batman and Bruce Wayne as 2 completely different people. Also he spent months in the gym training with weights and choreographers to prepare for the scenes in the first 2 movies. In the last they rushed him... that's one reason it doesn't stand up to the others.

Drizzt isnt a super complex character... hes broody and docile... and brutal and cold when fighting.

mortissimus
Speaks Quietly

Post by mortissimus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:09 am

In conclusion: Q4T better make the scene awesome.

And don't cast Ben Affleck in your fan film :)

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 am

mortissimus wrote:In conclusion: Q4T better make the scene awesome.

And don't cast Ben Affleck in your fan film :)
Well that would be better than Charlie Sheen at least...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Hertzyscowicz
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hertzyscowicz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:42 am

knightwalkr wrote:Id leave out the battle of drizzt and anyone else. The way the books list his fighting style look up Filipino Martial Arts Kali or Arnis. He fights in a very fluid fighting style. I have seen many videos of people who are martial artist trying to emulate him for the hell of it; non of them came off as competent is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsO9qMdzsgM Both of the actors are super skilled and took months of choreographing to get that few seconds of film down.
Damn, the link to the production blog is broken. Did something ever come of that project other than the trailer?

knightwalkr
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by knightwalkr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Not that I ever saw I followed it for a while but poof. I haven't tried looking up the actors though.

Lumenaught
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Lumenaught

Post by Lumenaught » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:00 am

BY MORADIN'S FARTING ARSE! I'm entering this soo late in the game!

OK you best shot (in my opinion) is doing the the final battle in the The Silent Blade (Paths of Darkness 1) when they fight inside the tower of the crystal shard.
Which is set up and done in the last 25 pages of the book. The reason I say this, is because its going to be one of the easiest backgrounds to accomplish. (Silver, grey or mirrors) all you need is a big room and a LOT of tinfoil.

The majority of the two fighting in all other parts of every book happens underground, with a few exceptions. But filming in "the dark" or outside in perfect conditions, let alone in the rocky cold... Dont recommend it if you want to get this done in a timely fashion for a fight.

Bear in mind that while Drizzt fights in an unconventional fighting style, it is one primarily based in defense and counter attacks. I recommend casting your less talented sword fighter this role since blocks and counters are (or can be/need to be for stage fighting) slower movements. Drizzt will need to use shifting one-sided stances and more sweeping motions with changing angles of cross-over attacks for his fighting style do to the momentum requirements of the scimitar (or Kilij like weapons). Remember that Drizzt fights with his swords complimentary to each other to form a total attack and defense not one or the other. (Like scissors.) See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rum-D53fRiM for a possibility of how Drow fighting style might look. Unlike the photo of the ultra awesome Drizzt above, Drizzt fights with two full sized Scimitars.

Artemis on the other hand will be both harder and easier to do. Artemis fights with swashbuckling (you could get someone that knows fencing as a replacement as a short-fill) and 'short-sword shield' fighting style used with a baselard or pugio. But I recommend using something else since those fat daggers cost about $200 a each and their combat style is too close to the body. A Cobra Steel Kindjal or Cobra Steel Lakonia would be a good $50 replacement, not to mention easier to learn and wield. (I'd go Lakonia, its got better offensive balance, throwable and generates momentum faster. Plus was the short sword of the Spartans.) This fighting style will be harder because both styles are one-handed only, pressing their body weight into them forming a total offensive style. This shifting weight is your key problem as where ever your weight is, that's the only weapon that is actually useful. Artemis solves this with 'layering' his weapons range and not allowing them to overlap. However this will keep his weight in this knees and elbows and leaning forward. (Drizzt takes advantage of this several times in the series, using the environment against Artemis.) This is why you read about him using more short strikes (swashbuckling) to dissect and weaken a competent opponent thru attrition. He only kills weaker opponents with thrusting (fencing) when using his saber. His primary killing method is his dagger overall and would want to kill Drizzt with his vampiric dagger on principle alone to 'steal' his strength.
ThroughTheWell wrote:I see some Drizzt live action fan movies on youtube. At least 1, I don't see how you could say it was Drizzt and not some other drow unless they told you, and I imagine you might have a similar problem.
Here are those Youtube videos mentioned = http://www.youtube.com/user/ScimitarsHigh/videos

Yamadasan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Yamadasan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:22 pm

I doubt you still need help, as your last reply was back several weeks ago!

But I'll throw in my suggestion regardless. The books are good fun, I've read and own them. The entire series is based off D&D and it shows in the fight scenes. And D&D is essentially all up to the imagination. How awesome Drizzt fights in your scene is all up to how cool you want him to be. Being a Drow in leather with twin swords is easily enough to portray the character.

Getting actual sword fighting basics should be something to worry about. ie-aim for the person, not his weapon. blocking means blocking not touching your weapon to hit every time he tries to hit you. Learning one or two basic stances and slashes for a weapon is far and away more useful than learning how Drizzts does a triple kick-flip corkscrew nosedive into a bunch of punks. Savatore's extremely wordy with his combat scenes, but that doesn't mean you can translate that into live action film. Readers imaginations make up for most of how a fight scene plays out.

And as they said, it looks like you want to do a good homage based off the material, instead of just character parody. But that means you have to read the book. Going hipster on this and not investing your self is fine, but using a forum for answers instead of reading a book you already have access too? Come on now, reading ain't hard.