Thuntonian Biota

Discuss the comic here!
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Thuntonian Biota

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 am

Master TMO wrote:I would say it might not be a bad idea to at least list them, so that if someone were curious, they could check here and see that it wasn't a Thunt creation.
Perhaps mark them with an * or other symbol and have a key below.

* - Likely based on real world example, displays no special abilities or characteristics
** - Likely based on classic D&D example, displays no abilities or characteristics beyond what would be expected
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 am

willpell wrote:The blue birds don't strike me as especially strange. But I totally never noticed that ground mouth, despite it having a whole panel more or less to itself.

Also, why did you mention Blackroot but not Grass Maggots (from the same page)?
RedwoodElf wrote:The one in the middle is clearly a Goblin Dog.
No, it's a Howler. They're SRD.
A howler is an outsider beast that drives anyone who hears it's howls insane...how would a tribe of goblins get one for use as a mount, and how are there still any goblins who aren't gibbering wisdom = 0 blobs of quivering insanity?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 am

RedwoodElf wrote:A howler is an outsider beast that drives anyone who hears it's howls insane...how would a tribe of goblins get one for use as a mount, and how are there still any goblins who aren't gibbering wisdom = 0 blobs of quivering insanity?
Maybe they just trained it never to howl. As to "how"...all I can say is Rule of Cool. It looks exactly like the MM illustration of a Howler, and Howlers are available as cohorts to anyone who wants one, so any other explanation is harder to credit.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Post by Dagazzard » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:38 am

Two new bird species discovered! Hawl's Emu: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08132005/ and the Lake Rooster http://www.goblinscomic.org/09302005/ !

Now to figure out the wiki... Do you guys think each creature should have its own page or that a page for each category (animals, plants, monsters) would be better?

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Dagazzard wrote:Two new bird species discovered! Hawl's Emu: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08132005/ and the Lake Rooster http://www.goblinscomic.org/09302005/ !
Emu? that looks more like a giant Dodo to me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Post by Dagazzard » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Hmm. True, the head is more dodo-like. The legs are more a great rhea / emu / ostrich / chocobo thing. Maybe instead of "Hawl's Emu", "Domu"? (Dodo + Emu)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:28 pm

I think it's a Phororhacos....
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
Dagazzard wrote:Two new bird species discovered! Hawl's Emu: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08132005/ and the Lake Rooster http://www.goblinscomic.org/09302005/ !
Emu? that looks more like a giant Dodo to me.
I think it's an axebeak from the (first edition) Monster Manual. But I never compared the pictures.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 pm

I thought of that too, but IMO the beak isn't quite axey enough.
My long-neglected blog.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:20 am

willpell wrote:I thought of that too, but IMO the beak isn't quite axey enough.
Blunted Axe Beak?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:03 pm

The issue is that, at least in the picture I saw (from a 3.0 items compendium whose exact name I can't recall), Axebeaks's beaks are very powerfully curved up and down, creating an effect like a rhino's horn on top of the beak. Hawl's Emu only has a single point on the bottom of its upper beak IIRC, so I don't buy it being an Axebeak specifically, but just any sort of giant flightless bird with a huge beak - again, I think the extinct Phororacos is probably the best candidate.
My long-neglected blog.