5 August 2013: Collision Avoidance

Discuss the comic here!
Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: 5 August 2013: Collision Avoidance

Post by Liesmith » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:26 am

Guys, Forgath wasn't trying to stop Minmax from starting a fight, he just really missed him and was happy to see him again.

So, it was more of an enthusiastic surprise bro-hug.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

wonderdrow
Mutters to Themself

Post by wonderdrow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:03 am

I'm glad to see Forgath rolled for initiative before MinMax.

langerhans
Of Few Words

Post by langerhans » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 am

Liesmith wrote:Guys, Forgath wasn't trying to stop Minmax from starting a fight, he just really missed him and was happy to see him again.

So, it was more of an enthusiastic surprise bro-hug.
SNEAK HUG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9v0SYn7T8w

StClair
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by StClair » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 am

Finally registered (new forum, no time like the present, eh?) to say:

Sometimes, really smart people can be really dumb. :)

Causes_Chaos
Knows Everything

Post by Causes_Chaos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:26 am

I like this update, a little comedy was needed. And Sapphire is missing her collar in panel 8.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 am

tempUser44 wrote:Image
Umm, this is either a mistake, or a time distortion plot point connected to killing Psimax twice.

Our Minmax grabs Oblivous with the wrong hand.
Or... that "imager" thing that PsiMax was looking at... perhaps was kind of a reverse-image/mirror-like thingy? Meaning, he did in fact grab it with the correct hand...??? :lol:

In fact, consider how a 'floating' image would look if you were to stand on one side looking at it (PsiMax), then walked around and looked at it from the other side (Us viewers). Yea, I think I'm on to something here... maybe? :D

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:44 am

Pablo wrote:I wonder...

"When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."

Does Minmax's call to roll for initiative with the Kinship count as "becoming prey?"
Isn't this prophecy always given in connection to meeting "that dwarf"? If so, then I wouldn't expect anything related to it beforehand.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:00 am

It's at times like this that I wonder why most comedy TV shows don't try and have more extreme facial expressions. I mean, sure, people don't really screw their faces up this much in real life, but it's hilarious to watch.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am

stevedj wrote: Or... that "imager" thing that PsiMax was looking at... perhaps was kind of a reverse-image/mirror-like thingy? Meaning, he did in fact grab it with the correct hand...??? :lol:

In fact, consider how a 'floating' image would look if you were to stand on one side looking at it (PsiMax), then walked around and looked at it from the other side (Us viewers). Yea, I think I'm on to something here... maybe? :D
I understand what you mean, and it makes sense, but I don't think this is the case. The glove on his right hand is different to his left, meaning he has grabbed it with the "wrong" hand (or there's a mistake in what was drawn).

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 am

Simon wrote:
stevedj wrote: Or... that "imager" thing that PsiMax was looking at... perhaps was kind of a reverse-image/mirror-like thingy? Meaning, he did in fact grab it with the correct hand...??? :lol:

I understand what you mean, and it makes sense, but I don't think this is the case. The glove on his right hand is different to his left, meaning he has grabbed it with the "wrong" hand (or there's a mistake in what was drawn).
You're right about the glove, but I thought the fact that he switched hands between panels 10 and 11 was so obvious, it wasn't worth mentioning. He also switched stance and facing.
He drew Oblivious with his left hand, the one with the bare thumb and middle fingers, and the one farthest from Sapphire. He then stepped back with his right foot, pivoting on his left to face her (and Forgath) and switched hands with the sword, adopting a classic katana pose with his right hand behind him, sword raised, and his left extended before him, knees slightly flexed, ready to spring in any direction.

Then, as has been said, Forgath used a held action to circle around Sapphire and tackle MinMax from not-quite-behind. Probably the limit of his movement.

Gracie
Remains Silent

Post by Gracie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:07 am

The blue armor kind of fits the little bit of purple sleeve. though I did like white the best.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 am

I like the armor best when it is switching colors. If it were to stay in any one color for a long time, then it's only special property (that we know of) is wasted and it becomes just another suit of armor.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

Andreyz
Remains Silent

Post by Andreyz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Stop being silly, the very first color, the pink, was the best. Also the manliest hands down. You see a guy walking in that kind of armor, you know he's not afraid of anything.

Ok, ok, I'll stop now.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 pm

RJJ7 wrote:I like the armor best when it is switching colors. If it were to stay in any one color for a long time, then it's only special property (that we know of) is wasted and it becomes just another suit of armor.
A suit of armour that, apparently, protected Minmax from all damage that should have been dealt by a savage blow of a demon's sword, without any damage to the armour as well (as far as we know)... "just another suit of armour" does not quite do it justice I think...

Baeronvonbleat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Baeronvonbleat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:18 pm

WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:Measure twice, teleport once...
Coming from computer networking, I always thought that if anyone ever invented teleportation, packet collisions would be something best avoided. :) I was reminded of Douglas Adams' rhyme:
I teleported home last night with Ron and Sid and Meg
Ron stole Meggy's heart away and I got Sidney's leg.
I'll gladly take the high road
Or even take the low,
But if you have to take me apart to get me there,
Then I, for one, won't go.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Changes_everything wrote:
RJJ7 wrote:I like the armor best when it is switching colors. If it were to stay in any one color for a long time, then it's only special property (that we know of) is wasted and it becomes just another suit of armor.
A suit of armour that, apparently, protected Minmax from all damage that should have been dealt by a savage blow of a demon's sword, without any damage to the armour as well (as far as we know)... "just another suit of armour" does not quite do it justice I think...
I confess I forgot that Minmax had been hit in that conflict. However, I will not abandon my statement, I will merely modify it.

"If it were to stay in any one color for a long time, then its only interesting special property (that we know of) is wasted and it becomes just a really solid piece of armor."

Stopping blows is what armor is supposed to do. If you want it to catch my interest, then let me know that its blow-stoppingness comes from an imprisoned demon or something. :P

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 pm

RJJ7 wrote:
Changes_everything wrote:
I confess I forgot that Minmax had been hit in that conflict. However, I will not abandon my statement, I will merely modify it.

"If it were to stay in any one color for a long time, then its only interesting special property (that we know of) is wasted and it becomes just a really solid piece of armor."

Stopping blows is what armor is supposed to do. If you want it to catch my interest, then let me know that its blow-stoppingness comes from an imprisoned demon or something. :P
so it would need an ethereal screaming face when/wherever it gets hit? come to think of it, that would actually be slightly badass.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Omniscient Spork
Remains Silent

Post by Omniscient Spork » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 pm

For some reason, I keep wanting to think "Bodyslide by One!"

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Andreyz wrote:Stop being silly, the very first color, the pink, was the best. Also the manliest hands down. You see a guy walking in that kind of armor, you know he's not afraid of anything.
I see what you did there. :lol:

Caelbain
Remains Silent

Post by Caelbain » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 am

I am disappointed with the Kin's lack of understanding of psionic fusion. Do they not know that the effect is not lethal at all, as well as temporary? Tsk tsk.

Although I suppose in case of an unwilling creature the effects of a forced fusion could be disasterous. In the field of forced spells which require a willing second person, the testing is still on-going.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am

Omniscient Spork wrote:For some reason, I keep wanting to think "Bodyslide by One!"
Hmmmm...Minmax is kinda like a dumber, saner Deadpool...and Forgath is like a shorter, hairier Cable...
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 am

Liesmith wrote:
Omniscient Spork wrote:For some reason, I keep wanting to think "Bodyslide by One!"
Hmmmm...Minmax is kinda like a dumber, saner Deadpool...and Forgath is like a shorter, hairier Cable...
How would a saner Deadpool still be Deadpool at all?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:02 pm

A sane Deadpool is called Deathstroke.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 pm

There was a young lady of Wight,
Who travelled much faster than light,
She departed one day,
In a relative way,
And arrived on the previous night.
- Prof. Stephen Hawking

Never mess with physics - it bites back.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Silvaristiar
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Silvaristiar

Post by Silvaristiar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm confused regarding the armor color and the sword hand. In the picture, his armor is black, but since it is a holograph, you can see through it.

So, the color of his armor is lightened on his hand because of the light color of Psimax's skin showing through. I assume that is part of what you were mentioning.

As for changing hands. This is just MM's using the Oblivion holes to swap hands. Like in this comic:

http://www.goblinscomic.org/04092013/

from frame 3 to frame 4. Sword in his right hand, he drops it, and grabs it with his left hand through a portal. The portal just isn't visible in the image PM is viewing.

Or am I missing something you are all seeing that I haven't.