The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 am

Obviously you need to be well versed in the diggerydo and wine glasses.

And I am so jealous, I only have a weapon, a shield and hermit pack. Which has a blanket, a scroll case, one set of clothes, an herbilisim kit, and 5 gp.

My char is male, and not the typical 'loving hippie' or 'tree hugger' druid either.
---------------

On gods: The pdf that thinks put out there has some gods on there. Here is the list. Tell me which one you think sounds cool and I will tell ya more about them....if there is more info on there. EDIT: there is not on the core book :/
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 am

Sure, she doesn't have to behave any differently to a male character - her skills certainly aren't any different :)

All I mean is, don't worry about her being female. Play a decent tiefling fighter and the rest will follow :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 am

but story is everything...at least to me. How she will connect with players, strangers, etc, is all determined based on backstory..

For instance, she hates men who lord their power over the weak and powerless...and is thus more likely to stick a sword through their heart when she finds them.

Chaotic Neutral...but isn't afraid to kill for what she determines to be wrong-doing...

Though,...perhaps thats more lawful...mmm..

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:55 am

Right, but unless any aspect of her back story couldn't equally apply to a man, it's not a gendered trait, it's a character trait.

Everything you just said could equally be applied to a male character.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:01 am

Oh I see what you mean now.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks Burns

I was thinking Mielikki type of god.
Though I was under impression that he was homebrewing the names and stuff for new gods??

What I need to know is what the domain powers are for NATURE and also for LIFE
I'm assuming they give free access to some sort of spell at least, which I then won't have to pick on my spell list.

Never played a gnome before. I'm thinking that his being clerical will tone down his practical joking inherent to most gnomes...somewhat.
I like that he can talk to small woodland creatures, then, with the command spell he can have them finicky squirrels actually pick me walnuts from the trees and bring them to me for a snack!
Or maybe they will even do that without the spell...nah..they'd probably just run off to eat them.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 am

I can't remember of you need to pick a domain at level 1 or if it comes later. I suspect it comes at level 3 but I don't have my books at the moment. If spider didn't give you advice on it, it's probably not something you need to worry about at the moment though.

If the domain choice gives you anything for free, it'll be a class feature rather than a spell per se. Its a small distinction, but spells almost always cost a spell slot to cast (except cantrips). The other exceptions are for high level pcs mostly

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

NotStickFigures wrote:What I need to know is what the domain powers are for NATURE and also for LIFE
I'm assuming they give free access to some sort of spell at least, which I then won't have to pick on my spell list.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 am

So just how much leeway are we given for discussing our characters amongst ourselves? They don't know each other yet (at least most of them) and even characters that know each other may not know all of someone else's backstory. I've developed a moderately detailed backstory for mine, but I don't want to taint the game by throwing it all out there (plus I think Spider's going to have enough fun keeping our musical band of destruction on track without us breaking the 5th wall).

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:46 am

But at the same time, I find the humdrum "we all met in a tavern" quite boring.

It's possible spider has something in store for how we all meet, but I find the idea of some of us meeting up prior to the GM taking control to be interesting.

I too have an extensive background...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 am

I trust spider to make this fun and make it work :) I don't think we need to worry about it too much!

I told badge a little about my chars back story already, since we're both tiefling and maybe met / knew each other from some other time. I'm happy to give you guys a little info about her too, but the private stuff you'll have to find out in game.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 am

You can discuss it as long as you keep straight what you the player know vs what you the character know.

Standard gods are fine, of they exist in DnD, they are fair game, but avoid RW ones (Norse, Egyptian, etc.).

I have plans on how you meet, so you don't need to have prior contact, but may if you wish. I've started a round of additional questions to follow up the initial questions, which includes why you're at the starting city during festival time. I'd not included it on there, but if any of you have met before, just let me know how long, and how you meet.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:44 am

Cool, will do :) I'm looking forward to this!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:44 am

Since my char is q hermit it maybe a bit more difficult to get him in the game, but I have faith.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Since my char is q hermit it maybe a bit more difficult to get him in the game, but I have faith.
perhaps your deity told you to travel to the city where we all are.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:25 pm

:chuckle: Spider already knows that my character has some ..."interesting quirks" thrown in to keep things entertaining. He's also not likely to be in a tavern under normal circumstances. He'd have to be there for a reason.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Burns, you don't NEED a god, unless you want one. Druidic magic comes directly from nature, not from a specific deity.

The city (more of a large town) is between elf, dwarf and human lands, but is neutral and open to all, provided they keep the peace within its borders.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 pm

so it's a neutral/free city?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 pm

I have an idea of why he is there, to get away from his home and unruly people that live somewhat close to him (too damn cloae for him) for a while, and because of the festival not many are going to look at him twice, espessially if he wears a really cheap black dragonborn mask...how mich would that cost anyways?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:31 pm

I guess I can let loose that mine was/is there on temple business (he is an acolyte remember) , has just completed his job as a courier, and is getting ready to start on his secondary assignment of gathering information about the state of the area. The means and timeline are left to his discretion. Just casual asking would reveal this information, so I feel pretty comfortable letting it out now.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 pm

Last round of questions are out... I'm still away from home for 2 days, then we can get started!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:12 am

So, if any of you are like myself, in desperate need for someone or something to build a character sheet for you, I implore you to check out and download:
ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator v1.60

It is a very well done character generator and you can have your character created in about 5 minutes or less.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:40 am

There's also the official ones here (though you have to work out all the numbers to fill in yourself):

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feature ... ter_sheets

Give me a shout if I can help.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:43 am

If you guys can get final questions answered for me, and sheets built and shared with me, I hope to start on Thursday.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:40 am

Hey all, I'll be on the road the majority of today, but go ahead and post or message me if you have questions. If you need help building sheets, some of the folks here that have access to books may be able to help out, if I have sheets for everyone by tomorrow I'll probably get the first post up sometime tomorrow afternoon, and if there are only a few without sheets, I may tackle them myself. I'm CERTAIN there are things I left out when I sent you your questionnaires, primarily in your race and class descriptions, so there may be other abilities you have that you're not aware of.

Human:
Ability Increase: +1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 CON, +1 INT, +1 WIS, +1 CHA
Proficiency: ---
Other: 30ft walking, know Common and 1 extra.

Dragonborn - Black:
Ability Increase: +2 STR, +1 CHA
Other: 30ft walking, acid (line) breath weapon, resistant to acid, know Common and Draconic.

Gnome - Forest:
Ability Increase: +2 INT, +1 DEX
Other: Tend towards G, Small, 25ft walking, Darkvision, advantage on INT, WIS, CHA saves vs magic, know Common and Gnomish, know minor illusion cantrip (INT), can speak with small beasts.

Gnome - Rock:
Ability Increase: +2 INT, +1 CON
Proficiency: 2x prof on History checks for magic, alchem or tech, tinkerÔÇÖs tools.
Other: Tend towards G, Small, 25ft walking, Darkvision, advantage on INT, WIS, CHA saves vs magic, know Common and Gnomish, can make tinker check to create clockwork toy, fire starter, or music box.

Tiefling:
Ability Increase: +2 CHA, +1 INT
Proficiency: 2 skills of choice
Other: Tend towards C, 30ft walking, Darkvision, resistance to fire damage, know thaumaturgy cantrip, can cast hellish rebuke and darkness at 3rd and 5th level respectively, know Common and Infernal.

Equipment Packs

BurglarÔÇÖs Pack - backpack, a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

DungeoneerÔÇÖs Pack - backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

EntertainerÔÇÖs Pack - backpack, a bedroll, 2 costumes, 5 candles, 5 days of rations, a waterskin, and a disguise kit.

ExplorerÔÇÖs Pack - backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

PriestÔÇÖs Pack - backpack, a blanket, 10 candles, a tinderbox, an alms box, 2 blocks of incense, a censer, vestments, 2 days of rations, and a waterskin.

A breakdown of spellcasting at 1st level...

General -
Cantrips Known: Cantrips can be cast as many times as you wish between rests, but you can only know so many cantrips at a time. The number known increases with level, but at different rates for different classes. If you are a caster class, having at least one or two cantrips that can deal damage keeps you relevant after higher spell slots are expended. For classes/builds where casting is secondary to dealing ranged or melee damage, useful utility cantrips may be better.

Spell Slots: To start, you will only have spell slots at 1st Level, but as you level up, you will gain more spell slots, both in 1st Level as well as opening up higher level spells. As long as you have a spell slot remaining, you can cast a spell of that level, or a spell of a lower level. Some spells when cast at a higher level will have increased effects (damage, targets, duration). If you have expended all of your spell slots, you will not be able to cast any non-cantrip spells. Spell slots are regained after a long rest.

Ritual Casting: Certain classes/feats may allow for casting of select spells to be cast as rituals, rather than expending a spell slot. Doing so takes longer, and it must be a spell otherwise prepared or known.

Spellcasting Focus: Objects that can be used to cast spells, replacing the need for some material components (all except those with a listed price value). Verbal and Somatic components are still required.
Bard - CHA: 2 Cantrips known, 2 1st Level spell slots. 4 spells known, chosen from the Bard 1st level list. Once chosen, these 4 are 'locked in' until the next time you level up, where one can be replaced with a new spell. Ritual casting. Instrument can be used as Spellcasting Focus.

Cleric - WIS: 3 Cantrips known, 2 1st Level spell slots. Through prayer, you can prepare a number of spells equal to your WIS mod + cleric level, chosen from the Cleric list. The chosen spells can be swapped out after a long rest, for any other spells on the Cleric list. Clerics also choose a domain, which grants additional spells that are always prepared, and don't count towards the prepared cap. Casting a domain spell still expends a spell slot of the appropriate level. Ritual casting. Holy Symbol can be used as Spellcasting Focus.

Druid - WIS: 2 Cantrips known, 2 1st Level spell slots. Through communing with nature, you can prepare a number of spells equal to your WIS mod + druid level, chosen from the Druid list. The chosen spells can be swapped out after a long rest, for any other spells on the Druid list. Ritual casting. Druidic Focus can be used as Spellcasting Focus.

Fighter - No spell slosts.

Paladin - No spell slots at Level 1.

Ranger - No spell slots at Level 1.

Rogue - No spell slots.

Sorcerer -CHA: 4 Cantrips known, 2 1st level spell slots. 2 spells known, chosen from the Sorcerer list. Once chosen, these 2 are 'locked in' until the next time you level up, where one can be replaced with a new spell. Arcane focus can be used as Spellcasting Focus.

Other Level 1 Class features

Bard- Bardic Inspiration: can inspire an ally with a song, poem, etc, giving them a 1d6 that can be rolled to add to ability checks, attack rolls, or saves within the next 10 min. Can use BI a number of times equal to CHA modifier between long rests.

Paladin- Divine Sense: Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity. Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + CHA modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.
Lay on Hands: You have a pool of healing = 5 x Paladin level. Each point in the pool can be used to heal a target for 1HP, or 5 points can be expended to cure a disease or poison.

Ranger- Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer.

Rogue- Expertise - become really good at two of your known skills, doubling proficiency bonus on them.
Sneak attack - add 1d6 damage on attacks where you had advantage, or the target is threatened by someone within 5 ft.

Sorcerer- Sorcerous Origin: either draconic or wild magic is the source of your power.

Arcane Focus. An arcane focus is a special itemÔÇö an orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length of wood, or some similar itemÔÇö designed to channel the power of arcane spells.

Druidic Focus. A druidic focus might be a sprig of mistletoe or holly, a wand or scepter made of yew or another special wood, a staff drawn whole out of a living tree, or a totem object incorporating feathers, fur, bones, and teeth from sacred animals.

Holy Symbol. A holy symbol is a representation of a god or pantheon. It might be an amulet depicting a symbol representing a deity, the same symbol carefully engraved or inlaid as an emblem on a shield, or a tiny box holding a fragment of a sacred relic. The caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.

I should have send all 1st level casters a list of spells they can choose from, but haven't sent out spell descriptions. As an alternate, I'd suggest checking this site out. Currently, we are only using the PHB spells, not ones from any supplements, so for example, a spell card that says "Sorcerer" in the lower left corner is good, but "Sorcerer(EE)" is not. That may change in the future, but for now we'll keep it simple.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler