The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Hooded lamps are for smugglers usually... what ru planning to get up to?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Oh? I was just looking though the adventuring gear, I didn't know that hooded lantern was smuggler only. Which is kinda odd.

EDIT: The description does not say it's smuggler only.
Lantern, Hooded. A hooded lantern casts bright light
in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30
feet. Once lit, it burns for 6 hours on a flask (1 pint) of
oil. As an action, you can lower the hood, reducing the
light to dim light in a 5-foot radius.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:11 pm

How much is oil for a lantern going to cost?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 pm

1 cp per flask.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 pm

That's acceptable.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Burns, the point of a hooded lantern is to light your path without shedding unnecessary light in other directions. In other words, to see without being seen. Which, although it's not explicitly in the description, heavily implies that you're up to no good. And because honest folk want to avoid that implication, it becomes self-perpetuating. So hooded lanterns are used almost exclusively by smugglers. Which means they won't likely be displayed in a reputable marketplace (even if they are technically legal), and that if you go asking for one you'll get some funny looks. Unless Thinks rules differently (because there are a lot of dungeon delvers who want to go exploring without attracting the attention of monsters, for example), but it looks like that would take some convincing.
thinkslogically wrote:Healers Kit: This kit is a leather pouch containing bandages, salves, and splints. The kit has ten uses. As an action, you can expend one use of the kit to stabilize a creature that has 0 hit points, without needing to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check.

Herbalism Kit: This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any Ability Checks you make to Identify or apply herbs. Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create Antitoxin and potions of Healing.

Right. That I knew. I've got 3 other kits, too: Leather working, wood working, and cooking. Leather working likely includes an awl, a reamer, a small knife, a strop, etc. Probably does not include much in the way of glue or stains. But what's in the wood working and cooking kits? Do I have a spit? Or is it just assorted knives, forks, and spoons? Can I use the wood kit to make repairs, or is it just for whittling?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:38 pm

...I just wanted a cheap lanturn.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:46 pm

5gp is cheap? Mehr will tend the store anyway, so I can set up fancy lights when we're open. It'd be nice to have stable light for the other members, though.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Ah, I see. The only other lantern listed (bullseye) is 10gp. We do have some torches, FWIW. But we may not want to risk open flames in the basement yet. Candles are only 1cp each, but we might need something to hold them in. But a lamp is 5sp. That's not bad.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:27 am

Ah OK, that makes more sense. I'm not sure a hooded lantern would be great for your business, but I'm also not sure the PHB will be your best shopping guide for mundane furnishings... I think the DMG has a bit more info but I've not really looked yet. Anyway, you guys tell me what you want and I'll tell you where you'd find it and roughly how much.

Wears: There's no particular consensus on what's in those kits except that they give you proficiency in the skills during downtime so I'd say they contain anything you'd need to be decent at those skills.

I'd also say that proficiency means you are going to be able to create ordinary items from wood / leather / food without difficulty (so if you wanted to make the furniture for the store that would be fine). The harder the task, the longer you'll need to make it, but I don't want to restrict you much on this stuff.

Once you head out to your adventures you'll not be able to use the skills so much, but I'll probably allow them to count towards knowledge checks at least (e.g. recognising good vs crappy craftsmanship, tasting spoiled food etc). That sound OK?

If you guys want to spend the rest of the day just setting up shop then just say so and we can speed along a bit.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:40 am

Okay so ...adding machine (if none then abacus it is), a lock box/safe, lighting, that's all i can think of right now.

Yea I think all we are soing right now is cleaning up the shop and setting up the cage trap. Tomorrow we can try to clean out rubble and fix the place

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:43 am

We also need a broom, mop, bucket, and some soap for cleaning... And something to clean the signboard... Then we need paint for the new sign, as well as a brush and a ladder.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:07 am

I don't understand why we need a ladder when you have mage hand :p

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:22 am

And have Mehr do the menial labour?! How dare you? Then again, an uneducated street child such as Gwen would by no means have a hand so neat as the one who so generously pulled her from the filth of poverty. >:-P
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 am

Wears, which of the many tools you have are you proficient in? Korrik is a bit of a cook, so you might be able to assist him in the kitchen during downtime and train to become proficient in them? Might depend on whether someone who is proficient is considered enough of an expert to teach...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 am

Without proficiency I'll probably just have you "help" the proficient PC. So an unskilled PC could reduce the time required to achieve a task, but wouldn't improve the end quality of the thing you're making.

According to the PHB you can gain proficiency in the following ways:
First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required. The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount o f time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:02 am

So basically it has to be a full on apprenticeship/class for a year in order to gain proficiency.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 am

Yeah basically. It makes sense for these sorts of skills I guess, and there are at least mechanical shortcuts if you use magic / jack of all trades and that kind of thing. I'm happy to provide opportunities for training if you want them though, but it'll be between adventures mostly.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:10 pm

I don't currently have any skill proficiencies. I asked about this during character creation, and was told that I could practice by myself during downtime and build up proficiency that way.

My thought was basically that he's been raised by self-sufficient parents in a small remote village, so he should know how to do things like cook for himself (basic meals, over a campfire or small hearth), mend clothing and equipment, make small household repairs, and treat wounds. Nothing too fancy or difficult. He can't use the leather kit to make a new backpack or armor, but if there's a tear or a strap breaks, he can patch it up. That sort of thing. But there was no way to give him those skills during character creation. I can buy a feat when he earns one, but that's a ways off and means sacrificing a stat point.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Boards and nails are good, but do we have a hammer? Crowbar might be useful, too. I've got wood tools, but they're not the more expensive carpentry kit.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:25 pm

OK, google seems to think that a woodcarving set would contain small chisels and those sorts of tools; carpentry (by virtue of being listed as something different in the PHB) would seem to be the craft that would provide you with a hammer. Saying that, you have enough bits and pieces that you could make do I'm sure and I won't be too picky. I am somewhat aware that this is turning into more of a DIY-simulator than a D&D game :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Once the bartering's done we can skip the DIY work and get into quests. We'll need some, considering I've barely managed to work the price down to the Noble background's starting gold.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:09 am

That's fine by me :) you'll need to find the work, but it won't be too tricky.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:15 am

Hm... Mehr and Gwen should help put up the old man's notice board while they're there. It'd take time, but it may eventually be a decent place to find odd jobs. Of course I won't say this IC because Mehr doesn't even know the thing exists.

... :shock: Good god, I've actually managed to get into the mindset of a noble-raised merchant. Don't give a damn about whether it helps people, only that it would make it easier to earn money.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:44 am

:lol: To be fair, you guys are a little broke right now.