April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Discuss the comic here!
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Post by Tofu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm

It's a powerful page and I feel for MinMax in his sight of a loved snakeling being de-tailed. Thoughts & wild speculations:

Duex Ex Anymug -
► Show Spoiler
Snakes loose their tails
► Show Spoiler
We have a MinMax holding a teleporting sword
► Show Spoiler
Tarol has fun
► Show Spoiler
Wild outlier speculation Monday
► Show Spoiler

Chasm
Newcomer Adventuring Party - Teller

Post by Chasm » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for some time, and this update has made me register.
I was thinking "Hey, let's check Goblins to see if there is a new page before going to bed". Now, I feel empty inside and I'm not going to sleep.
It is going to be so hard to wait for the next update.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Yeah, as others have said, healing potions will heal HP, but they won't restore a missing limb. It would have to be some kind of super healing portion. Which, given that it's from a wondrous river in a strange dungeon which exists outside of reality in a god's sword and resets itself in time... it is technically possible. Seems a bit of a cop out, though.

Then again, we have the Oblivion Engine right there. It's designed to mess with time and space. Who knows what might happen with that?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forum, Chasm. I only wish that this page never happened. :(
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Orangebottle wrote:Guys.
Guys, Kin will be fine.
I registered just to say this.

"I just drank some and it healed all of my wounds."
It didn't fix any of the scars. I don't think the potion will heal limbs. I do think she will live, perhaps one of the magical items they find will help. I think MM would suicide before going on without Kin, so I think she will survive.

My question is how does MM get up to the top level unless Psimax levitates him up for answers.

Next few updates will be tense!

Chasm

Post by Chasm » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

I need a hug T.T
The healing potion would, in my opinion, probably stop the bleeding but wouldn't regenerate her tail, so she might still die because of the loss of some organs (I'm not an expert in yuan-ti anatomy but I'm pretty sure there are some organs which have been lost here) and could also go into severe depression because of the traumatism (imagine having half your body ripped off...)
Now that I think about it, Baka also had half his body "taken away". I hope it's not becoming a trend. Do not want.

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Well,

Good try by Kin!

I'm guessing PsiMax still wants the truth, but with Kin heading rapidly into negative hit points he may have to give Kin any remaining healing potion to keep her alive long enough to be question her. Forgath might be helpful if there's any spare healing potion left.

That may buy enough time for MinMax to find a way to get back to the key room (perhaps the key holders are the "key" to the trapdoor mechanism - wreck the mechanism with "Oblivious" and the trapdoor may open). If MinMax can surprise PsiMax - maybe drop the sword, let PsiMax get really close, and then grab it from thin air and decapitate PsiMax - then he has a chance, just as Kin did. At that point, perhaps the prophecy (way back when) will come into play, as an earlier poster has suggested:

"When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hatred."

The thing about prophecies is that they're always right - the problem is interpreting them the right way! :) Perhaps Fortuneteller was using the collective "you" (as in "you-all") when she said "your" prey: if PsiMax is a member of all multiverse MinMaxes, and a prophecy could stretch to include both he and MinMax #156, then PsiMax blasting Kin could count as "the serpent becomes your prey." MinMax's love for kin might give him the hatred he needs for an extra shot of berserker power to overcome PsiMax, while blaming Forgath for Kin's fate could certainly lead the two to become enemies.

Just my $0.02!
Last edited by Pablo on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 pm

WearsHats wrote:Page three of the thread, and no one has questioned how Minmax is able to sense that Kin is in mortal danger? Did I miss something out are you all just still dealing with what happened to Kin?

Oh, and yes, Trex, Psimax basically was about to rape her. That's the word I was avoiding in the thread about the last page. It's why the last page left me in shock. Given all she's been through (and the fact that Psimax almost certainly knows her history), grabbing that leash in order to force her compliance is tantamount to rape, even if it's not actually a sexual act. He is forcibly taking control of her mind and body, and he's using the same mechanism to do it as Goblinslayer used to rape her.

I was really liking this page. The connection to the axe and the rope (which I guess should have tipped me off), the acknowledgement that this was rape, the mirroring of the page where Psimax was introduced, Kin managing to turn the tables. That would have been really satisfying.

But this. I don't know what to say or where this is going.

As others have said, the maze could reset, but that doesn't seem like Thunt's way. They don't know about the Orb of Bloodlight, so that's not likely.

I guess we'll have to see. I trust Thunt to make this work. To make it a satisfying story. But "dark" barely begins to describe this scene.

Wow.

No one questioned it because it was answered by everyone to themselves. It's assumed it was because of his love for Kin, that he was able to "see" her. I've had people in my family dream of people who died in the night and get a phone call the next day and not be surprised. Him sensing that? That's nothing.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Well, Kin doesn't seem to have sensed all of MinMax's injuries while he was fighting so maybe only MinMax got the TrueSeeing ability?

The prophecy implies that Forgath and MinMax will be together when Forgath dies which will almost certainly be against Kore. I think we can guess that Forgath and MinMax make it to the bridge, most probably by using the Jade Teapot. We know that someone at sometime says, "I see you," as confirmed on Thunt's twitter. Now I don't know if those will be MinMax's final words to Kin or Kin's final words or what but it's almost certain Min/Kin will meet up. I don't see Forgath or MinMax leaving the maze without Kin (PsyMax confirmed that they nearly always suicide when one of the team dies) and maybe you're healed when you leave the Maze? I hope so.

Why couldn't Kin be a damn half-skink? They can lose their tails no problem.

EDIT

Reminder: The prophecy for Forgath's Death:

"You will die in a great battle with another dwarf. When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."

Speculation That Has Probably Been Stated Before: Kore is an alt-Forgath from the MoM or Time Travel or Something, maybe Forgath is a family name/surname and Kore is Forgath's brother or sister with the same surname. Anyways... Kin will become Kore/Alt-Forgath's prey, he battles FMK and Our Forgath kills Kore/Alt-Forgath. Kore/Alt-Forgath dies, thus completing the prophecy of Forgath's (Kore) death by another dwarf (Our Forgath). Yup.
Last edited by BeanDip on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 pm

loosing tail is not the same as regenerating tail ... yes, she may survive still, it probably will take some fairly serious healing over.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm

If MinMax gets stupid mad how much does that increase the power of Oblivious? :) Or he could send a message back in time through the hole made by grabbing Oblivious...oops, that was the
► Show Spoiler

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 pm

WearsHats wrote:Page three of the thread, and no one has questioned how Minmax is able to sense that Kin is in mortal danger? Did I miss something out are you all just still dealing with what happened to Kin?
Several people brought it up. MinMax Saw Kin. :shrug:
WearsHats wrote:They don't know about the Orb of Bloodlight, so that's not likely.
Not to mention the fact that my memory tells me that the Orb disappeared when applied to Dies' stump.

I'm just confused as to why so many people think it would be a good thing for Kin to suddenly become a Human.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:40 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
WearsHats wrote:They don't know about the Orb of Bloodlight, so that's not likely.
Not to mention the fact that my memory tells me that the Orb disappeared when applied to Dies' stump.

I'm just confused as to why so many people think it would be a good thing for Kin to suddenly become a Human.
Given this crowd, I'm guessing it's for the sexies.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:44 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:

Who said anything about them being human legs? I'm hoping to see some dwarf legs on her, maybe giant, possibly goblin. :P
Last edited by BeanDip on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:

Wouldn't help, since there was never a physical incompatibility.

mightclark
Remains Silent

Post by mightclark » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Here's my theory: As said in the prophecy "When the serpent becomes your prey friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."While Psionic Minimax has made the serpent "Kin" become his prey, So Perhaps "Friends" could imply the multi-verse version of Minmax, Forgath, and Kin being the friends that become enemies in the arena, so what's left is love will fuel hate, and by the injury Kin just received there is your hate or possibly a future death after if the healing potion isn't given to her to keep her alive in time. Forgath won't die in the maze, he'll be killed by Kore, as said in the prophecy.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Marnath wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:I'm just confused as to why so many people think it would be a good thing for Kin to suddenly become a Human.
Wouldn't help, since there was never a physical incompatibility.
We don't know that. We just know that GS was able to rape her.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Kennerly wrote:Meanwhile Herbert is explaining to whoever is playing Minmax that he can't possible know what happened to Kin!
I imagine that the conversation is going something like this.

P: "Kin!"
H: "Why are you talking about Kin. You're raging, you have no idea what is going on with her."
P: "Yes I do. I attack the ceiling." Rolls dice. "Hey that should get me up there right?"
H: "What? You can't reach the ceiling. Also, you have no idea what is going on up there."
P: "No I do. I totally do. She needs my help, so I'm going to help her."
H: "No, you don't. There is no way you can hear her, and you can't see her."
P: "I can. Really, I totally can."
H: "Ok, how? How do you know what is happening to Kin?"
P: "Uh, what is that realvision thing that you were talking about? We'll go with that."
H: "The trueseeing? That can only happen with Yuan-ti."
P: "Your mom can only happen with Yuan-ti."
H: "Fine. You can see her. Now how are you going to get to her?"
P: "How can I see her? She is above the ceiling. I can't see her through all of that stone. Or does traveling with a dwarf allow you to see through stone ceilings?"
H: "No. Travelling with dwarves doesn't allow you to see through stone ceilings."
P: "Man, I don't know why I adventure with her."

Meanwhile Forgath's player is vomiting in a bucket.

(H is Herbert and P is Minmax's player. It made me laugh at least)
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Chasm

Post by Chasm » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 pm

BeanDip wrote:We know that someone at sometime says, "I see you," as confirmed on Thunt's twitter. Now I don't don't know if those will be MinMax's final words to Kin or Kin's final words or what but it's almost certain Min/Kin will meet up.
You HAD to put that in my mind. Now I'm even more depressed T.T

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Chasm wrote:
BeanDip wrote:We know that someone at sometime says, "I see you," as confirmed on Thunt's twitter. Now I don't don't know if those will be MinMax's final words to Kin or Kin's final words or what but it's almost certain Min/Kin will meet up.
You HAD to put that in my mind. Now I'm even more depressed T.T
:D

Relax. Thunt would never do that to us, his loving and loyal fanbase.

Right, Thunt?

Right, Thunt?

Thunty-Poo?

Oh no. :(

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 pm

First... the poor Alt-Max in the 7th panel just wanted to know "What's going on?"
Kore wrote:The snake monster may finally die. But the seeds of evil have already been placed in the human and dwarf and they will need to die too.
Damn, Kore. You scary.
mightclark wrote:Here's my theory: As said in the prophecy "When the serpent becomes your prey friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."While Psionic Minimax has made the serpent "Kin" become his prey, So Perhaps "Friends" could imply the multi-verse version of Minmax, Forgath, and Kin being the friends that become enemies in the arena, so what's left is love will fuel hate, and by the injury Kin just received there is your hate or possibly a future death after if the healing potion isn't given to her to keep her alive in time. Forgath won't die in the maze, he'll be killed by Kore, as said in the prophecy.
Actually, Forgath just REALLY hates David Schwimmer.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 pm

One of the good things about the comic is... we honestly cannot predict what will happen next. We know protagonists can die, although they mostly live. So far. We've had more than a few protagonist deaths lately, and by lately, I mean "in the past three or so years."

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 pm

FleesFromTrees wrote:Just, as someone said before the counter could've been destroyed. And they'd know all about Psimax.
Pretty sure nobody but Psimax knows about the effects of counter-destruction...I don't recall him bragging of it to 156, only to his Kin before he killed her.
BeanDip wrote:I'm just waiting on the alternate universe where MinMax is a superhuman realtor so we can have Re/Max.
Interestingly enough I believe there is a TO build floating around for 3.5 called the LandLord.... If it works under 3.0 rules I could see one of MM's alternates having decided to try and get Herbert to let him play it (and in an infinite multiverse it'd be guaranteed that one of the Herberts would say "yes" eventually).
WearsHats wrote:I was really liking this page. The connection to the axe and the rope (which I guess should have tipped me off)
The axe and the rope? As in Prissan vs. Kore? I don't follow how that pertains.
Chasm wrote:Now that I think about it, Baka also had half his body "taken away". I hope it's not becoming a trend. Do not want.
Remind me who Baka was?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

_sl0t_
Remains Silent

Post by _sl0t_ » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm

For those asking questions about DnD rules:

Healing spells and healing potions can only heal your HP. There's no kind of super healing potion that restores missing limbs or such. Healing does not even fix broken bones or defective organs! So healing Kin would prevent her from dying from the wounds, but not restore her tail.
To restore her tail she needs the spell Regenerate, which is too high level for Forgath to cast. Even if he knew the spell, it can only be cast if the cleric has a divine focus, and if I recall correctly his mace was his holy symbol, so he can't cast any spells that requires a divine focus until he gets a new holy symbol.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm

_sl0t_ wrote:For those asking questions about DnD rules:

Healing spells and healing potions can only heal your HP. There's no kind of super healing potion that restores missing limbs or such. Healing does not even fix broken bones or defective organs! So healing Kin would prevent her from dying from the wounds, but not restore her tail.
To restore her tail she needs the spell Regenerate, which is too high level for Forgath to cast. Even if he knew the spell, it can only be cast if the cleric has a divine focus, and if I recall correctly his mace was his holy symbol, so he can't cast any spells that requires a divine focus until he gets a new holy symbol.
His symbol isn't broken, just the mace head.
http://www.goblinscomic.com/04182013/
Last panel you can see the handle intact along with the symbol(the bit sticking out on the top/bottom?)
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage