Tempts Fate 11 (update 27 December!)

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Tempts Fate 11 (update 17 may!)

Post by RocketScientist » Fri May 17, 2013 5:48 pm

<regular Goblins reader voice>If this Thunt-guilting slows down the main comic any more, I'm killing every single one of you. And then, I'm rezzing you, and killing you again. tiny rage --> :fume: <-- see it raging? </rGrv>

Updated first post.

Wild Thyme
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Cheshyr1

Post by Wild Thyme » Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Honestly, I really don't care about the Tempts Fate coming out or not. Thunt needed help. So, I donated. I didn't donate for a sideline comic to come out. I did it because I like Goblins and want the main comic to continue. Kind of hard for him to work on Goblins if he didn't have the basic necessities.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Same here.

And ok. I probably won't kill anybody. So if a flaming Klik shows up at your door, it wasn't me.

lucretiaaos
Remains Silent

Post by lucretiaaos » Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm

1. No I did not donate, specifically because of previous delays in updates.
2. I do NOT consider Tempts Fate to be free since people had to give money to it and did so with the understanding that they would be given a certain reward. For that matter, the cartoon is used to sell books, toys etc, much the same way cartoons do. If the cartoon doesn't deliver, the toys don't get sold & it doesn't make money.
3. I used to read Order of the Stick. I stopped when it stopped updating regularly. Tho I was less annoyed since he was quite honest about updating "whenever" It's not the frequency of the updates that annoys me, it's the broken promises.
4. So to repay us for the "Tempts Fate" fiasco, we will now get a poorly-drawn comic that will instead prevent us from getting the regularly scheduled "Goblins" update. Enough is enough, I am now officially done with "Goblins."

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri May 17, 2013 7:17 pm

lucretiaaos wrote:4. So to repay us for the "Tempts Fate" fiasco, we will now get a poorly-drawn comic that will instead prevent us from getting the regularly scheduled "Goblins" update.
Except, if you read the blog post I linked, #4 is not true. It is 'poorly drawn' in order to be fast enough that it WON'T prevent us from getting the regularly scheduled update'.

Although 'poorly drawn' is highly debatable. And yes, it did interupt the comic this one time, but given how late the comic earier this week was I was expecting some form of filler today.

You seem very unhapy. You don't like it when TF11 isn't finished, and then you don't like a reasonable solution to finish it. I'm sorry, but unless you have a time machine, you may have to live with the best that people can do, and not what you wished they had time to do.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri May 17, 2013 7:20 pm

lucretiaaos, "people" didn't have to give money to it. People wanted to give money to it. And since you were not one of those "people," I really do not understand why you are so upset. What do you actually feel like you've been promised and denied?

Also, Thunt never said the main comic was going to be delayed by this new thing. And I was just kidding about killing people. I'm sorry if that caused distress for anyone.

Anyway, goodbye, and good luck. You might want to possibly lower your demands on future webcomics, though, if you want to keep reading any of them. Crap happens.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 pm

lucretiaaos is right. We need to complain. That way the seeds of evil are distracted and can't focus on infecting others.

What we complain about is not important, just that we complain and many others respond. The more the better.

As well please send some gold coins to Thunt to forward to Psi max, with your thanks and humble request for him to send a hole to Hell to help Tempts Fate escape. Together we can defeat evil and pain and suffering!
Last edited by Kore on Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm

lucretiaaos wrote:1. No I did not donate, specifically because of previous delays in updates.
2. I do NOT consider Tempts Fate to be free since people had to give money to it and did so with the understanding that they would be given a certain reward. For that matter, the cartoon is used to sell books, toys etc, much the same way cartoons do. If the cartoon doesn't deliver, the toys don't get sold & it doesn't make money.
3. I used to read Order of the Stick. I stopped when it stopped updating regularly. Tho I was less annoyed since he was quite honest about updating "whenever" It's not the frequency of the updates that annoys me, it's the broken promises.
4. So to repay us for the "Tempts Fate" fiasco, we will now get a poorly-drawn comic that will instead prevent us from getting the regularly scheduled "Goblins" update. Enough is enough, I am now officially done with "Goblins."
Goodbye! Enjoy Ctrl-Alt-Del! Don't let the mnem hit you on the way out!

...and you were frustrated with the author of OOTS because his thumb was injured and required surgery so he couldn't draw for a long while?

...and when did Tarol ever promise any specific timeline? I'm in the "donated because it helps" camp. I've never been a huge fan of Tempts Fate, solely because there isn't really a story there-- and I loves me some stories-- so I don't really care if it was never finished...but the solution Thunt came up with is a very good one. He can continue to focus on the main comic, and put out little sketches to lead up to the Tempts Fate finale that he can chip away at in the meantime. This is a win-win for everyone, except for you, apparently.

Actually, I'm sorry, I didn't really mean what I said before. Please feel free to let the mnem hit you on the way out.
Kore wrote:lucretiaaos is right. We need to complain. That way the seeds of evil are distracted and can't focus on infecting others.

What we complain about is not important, just that we complain and many others respond. The more the better.
Kore, buddy, you're awesome. Don't ever change. I like the style of your beard...the big chunk out of the middle is especially dashing for a dwarf. ;)
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Fri May 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Liesmith wrote: ...and you were frustrated with the author of OOTS because his thumb was injured and required surgery so he couldn't draw for a long while?
Actually, probably not. It's been many years since Rich updated his comic regularly. I started reading in 2008 and even back then the posting schedule was "whenever I feel up to it." Sometimes you get one or even two pages a week for a while, and sometimes it doesn't update for months. It averages out to about half as much as Goblins. Of course, with Rich the problem is an unspecified(presumably completely debilitating) disease which I don't know much about on account of the fact that even asking about it on his forum is grounds for a Mod infraction. Presumably it doesn't take quite as much effort to draw his comic compared to Tarol's.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Fri May 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Kore wrote:lucretiaaos is right. We need to complain. That way the seeds of evil are distracted and can't focus on infecting others.

As well please send some gold coins to Thunt to forward to Psi max, with your thanks and humble request for him to send a hole to Hell to help Tempts Fate escape. Together we can defeat evil and pain and suffering!
You know Kore, I know this guy. He loves to complain, qquite a bit actually. One could say complains is his middle name! Though they'd be half wrong...
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Meh, this Kore only has 1 schtick, and he stole that one.

Can we get this thread back to TF 11?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 pm

lucretiaaos wrote:1. No I did not donate, specifically because of previous delays in updates.
It has been nice having you. Please, DO let the door hit you on the way out, so that I don't have to. ^_^

On topic, I was wondering what happened with Tempts Fate, glad to hear it is continuing. Thanks for all your hard work, Thunt.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 pm

I don't think it would be a genuine Tempts Fate update without at least one whiny person ragequitting the comic, so I guess this means Tempt's fate is to escape Waffles.

Off Topic:
► Show Spoiler
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 17, 2013 10:58 pm

YAY!!!

(apology is more than acceptable!)

Looking forward to the search for Tempts....
Let the speculation begin!

IMHO, Tempts is not in Waffles, as he would have escaped long ago.
He's hiding, to protect his clan and family.

But will they find to his hiding space in the prison?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

zennyrpg
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by zennyrpg » Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 pm

I was around for the tempts fate, so I've read them all after they were completed. The comic is free (even donations are just that- donations, not payments), so I take what I can get. Sure I'd love to have a regular update schedule, but, the comic is free. Its amazing something this good is this free.

Anyway, I really enjoy the sketches. I like to see what things look like as they are drawn. I also commend thunt for taking the concerns of his readers seriously, even though he doesn't really have to (goblins is so good that I'm pretty sure a large portion of people would read it even if thunt was a big jerk).

Scur
Remains Silent

Post by Scur » Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

I am one of the folks who, last year, had a rather unpopular opinion on the whole unfinished Tempts Fate thing. I was beset on all sides by many of you Thuntians and had to just let it go at the time. While I still believe he should reword the update schedule which shows on the comic's front page to reflect his actual update history, I could see integrity peeking out of his blog under the comic today. The fact that he felt the need to admit he made a mistake and apologize, as well as offer a rather cool way to bring Tempts back to us, surprised me. Honestly, I just figured that one day when he was contemplating another donation drive he would work in the last page, say a quick sorry for the delay, and put up a drive page for Tempts 12. I'm extremely pleased he's shown himself to be a better man than that.

While I follow maybe a couple dozen comics, I think Goblins is the one gives me the most anticipation to find out what's going to happen next. He's created an awesome world that shows the work he's put into it, and moves like this one let me appreciate it all the more. Thanks Thunk.

EDIT:Thanks Thunt! I meant Thunt! Though Thunk would be kinda a cool name, it sounds a bit too much like Bonk to me, bit of a caveman image.
Last edited by Scur on Sat May 18, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 am

What that last word onomatopoeia, Scur? Did someone fire a crossbow at you?!

DAMMIT KORE.
► Show Spoiler

Wild Thyme
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Cheshyr1

Post by Wild Thyme » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 am

Quick thought on the Waffles prison. I can only think of Waffle House as the prison. The image cannot be undone.

Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Post by Kelten » Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 am

mmm, Waffles...
bye bye lucretiaaos, im going to rename you Complain-aout-not-getting-donation-stuff-despite-not-donaiting
Click here if you want to beat me up!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 am

Can Moose or one of the other Mods make a special group "Ragequitters", with "Ragequitted" as title?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 am

Oh Herbert...
I DID THIS. I alerted Waffles to the gamebreaking power of Tempts. I'm...
I'm so sorry.
Glemp wrote:I know that overpowered characters are bad for me, but it's just so satisfying watching someone face difficult obstacles and steamroller them, especially in contrast to the main storyline.
If I had only known the consequences...

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Kelten wrote:mmm, Waffles...
bye bye lucretiaaos, im going to rename you Complain-aout-not-getting-donation-stuff-despite-not-donaiting
:lol:
Krulle wrote:Can Moose or one of the other Mods make a special group "Ragequitters", with "Ragequitted" as title?
Personally, I think that would be hilarious. Which probably means that it's mean, and we shouldn't do it. :oops:

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
Kelten wrote:mmm, Waffles...
:lol:
Krulle wrote:Can Moose or one of the other Mods make a special group "Ragequitters", with "Ragequitted" as title?
Personally, I think that would be hilarious. Which probably means that it's mean, and we shouldn't do it. :oops:

Ok, I only have two things to say about this:
1) RocketScientist, I am hereby advising you to create such a title.
2) I am known to only give good advice.
3) You can trust me.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat May 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Now we know for sure.
Thanks for the advice, Lies....

;)

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Mon May 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Yay! The new forum is FINALLY baptized in ragequitter blood! Yippe-Ki-Yay, Muther...

*Pauses to snap lucretiaaos in the ass with his tail as s/he fumes past* Y'all come back now next time you wanna look like a total social retard!

... Maybe we can get some people to ragequit over the upcoming Kin slaughter! SUHWEET!

mnem
What? Did I go too far with that one? Fine... Forget I said anything. *Waves hand* These are not the Kins you're looking for...