The Great Goblin Invasion (Polls finished!)

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
lingrem
Former Mod

Re: The Great Goblin Invasion (aka Goblinites Invade England

Post by lingrem » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 am

Ok peeps! I feel like organizing with something, so humour me and get daydream (a realistic day-dream mind you).

Please fill out the following with your preferences and whatnot:

Interested Parties In Attending:
(include if you would have a +1 or so for a partner and write down if you'd bring your kids!)

Preferred Month:
July -
August -

Likely Length of Stay: (some people would only be able to afford short trips, others longer, this would give me an idea for joint-activities about when they'd have to happen)

Preferred Sleeping Arrangements:
Hostel (Shared Room):
Hostel (anywhere):
Separate from Group:
Other:

Interested Activities:
Refer to the 1st and 2nd posts in the thread if you aren't sure of things you'd like to do (I think it would be nice to see what people's favourites are)

Interested Day-Trips:
Again, refer to the 1st and 2nd posts in the thread if you aren't sure or have any!

Not Going to Happen:
(where you can write down what things you would definitely opt-out of! That way if there's days when some people are around and you aren't or whatnot, things can get split up)

This way we can see who might be interested in what, and who would NOT be interested in things. I don't expect ANYONE is comitted fully to this right now as it's a whole year away. But with a potentially large-sized group with all sorts of different budgets and time-frames and preferences... well, this gives me something to do and a goal to work on. And I enjoy this stuff as crazy as it is.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 am

(Double-posting): I've copied this thread into Communities. It is also in Hidden. But I feel like it belongs here sorta, but was hoping to put it into the announcements part. This doesn't seem to be something I can do so Wolfie, RS, Moose - if you think it could be a good spot for it could you do that for me?)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:53 am

I'm going to break the form if I try and fill it in - with such answers as "I live here!" and "I'm staying forevaaaah" and "I'll sleep in my house" and things. But can the next person that adds put nikohl+1 in the attendees list please :D As for activities and so on - I'll tag along with whatever the visiting people most want to do, as if I want to do something different I can do it on my own time.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:58 am

You just fill out the stuff that you can. And you don't live in London right?. Just take the form and fill out what you think are your interests and whatnot :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:03 pm

If I can make it I'll sort myself out - got friends in London I'd like to catch up with / stay with anyway if I was going to go. Just organise whatever suits and I'll tag along if possible :)

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 pm

did on sleeping in somebody car !
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Oh you guys are useless at brainstorming things :P

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Interested Parties In Attending: WearsHats (just me)

Preferred Month:
July - Yes.
August - Potentially doable. Maybe. If I have to.

Likely Length of Stay: A couple of weeks.

Preferred Sleeping Arrangements:
Hostel (Shared Room):
Hostel (anywhere):
Separate from Group: Yeah. I need privacy and quiet. Too many sleeping disorders.
Other: Is this where I joke about whose bed I'd be willing to share? ... Probably not.

Interested Activities: I'd do most of the museums. More interested in science and history than art, though. I'd have to look up some of the others. Interested in Big Ben. Seen the Tower Bridge, but it's cool. I'd go again. My ability to walk varies by the day. On a good day, I can walk a few miles. But I walk slowly and may need to sit down and take breaks.

I've been to the Holmes Museum. I'd be willing to go again if others were interested, but, TBH, it's not much. There's a small apartment set up to look like his, filled with replica trophies from his famous cases. You get a short talk from a tour guide, then you're left to wander the place for a while (until the next group is due). And then there's a gift shop. That's about it. At least, that's what it was 20 years ago. Interesting if you're a fan, but overpriced and not thrilling.

Likewise, I've been inside the Globe Theater. I don't feel a need to go back. But if a bunch of people went, I'd go along.

Also been to the Tower of London. I'd do that again.

Wandering the markets would be fun. King's Cross Platform is a must. Also up for wandering around the city. And just generally hanging out.

Interested Day-Trips: Been to Stonehenge. I'd go again. Baths aren't high on my list, but I'd definitely come along. Up for other trips, but don't have ideas. Not much for graveyards, personally, but generally happy to explore, as long as we're not rushing around too much.

Not Going to Happen: I'd likely opt out of a pub crawl. I might join you for company, but I don't drink, I'm very sensitive to the smell of alcohol, and I'm easily overwhelmed by loud noises.

I don't eat curry. I just do not like tamarind and turmeric, and they're in everything.

I am in no way interested in the Jack the Ripper tour.

Longer Trips: I'd love to see Scotland. And maybe Ireland. And, IDK. Dover was interesting. I could go back there. Stratford-On-Avon might be something to do if people are really into Shakespeare. I've been there. It's a charming, touristy town. They have a Shakespeare museum house. And a theater. Open to other ideas.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Buta
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Buta » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Since July and August have gone now... I hope y'all had a great time! :)

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:54 pm

psssst next year were going buddy

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm

So, uh, Danielle said they're thinking of attending WorldCon August 14 in London this coming year. If we build around that...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

that would be quite epic, though I''m pretty sure neither thunt nor danielle have the slightest idea who I am Xd

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Sounds great.... Can't say anything that far in the future... but would love to meet them, and you if you intent to come Wears?
(Of cause also all the others Europeans, but I guess we have a bigger chance than them)
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:35 pm

August is usually set aside for family time, but if we make this happen, I'll see if I can shuffle dates around for this year.

► Show Spoiler

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Update: With the proverbial fan being hit by droppings, I don't know if I can make it or not.

Does anyone know what to budget for expenses like eating out & transit? Assume better than fast food but not fancy restaurants. Yes, cabs, because I don't want to drive while I'm there. I *know* I'd get confused. In any case, my attendance would depend on both my ability to pay for it (iffy at best currently) and my ability to convince my wife that we should hang out with all these people she doesn't know at all (or that she should go away while I hang out with you).

If we went, we'd probably stay for a week or so. I'd want to see museums (maybe, depending on subject), I'd want to travel around the country (not just stay in London or even England - I want to see Cardiff, Westminster Abbey, various castles, Stonehenge would be a must, I'd love to visit Nottingham, Edinburgh...

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:26 am

You should also see York, Its a really cool blend of Viking-Middle age England-renicance England and modern Aaaaaaand new york is named after it :P

That said... where are you traveling from? (What state, cant remember)

Cab's are expensive, but England got good European infrastructure, so you can take bus or train nearly any where without problems (That at least is what I've done when I've been there)
Finding your way around might be a bit hard if you are from one of those cities with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on street. because, England, as the rest of Europe, use street names based on something that happened loooong before Americas history began... naming streets after what there were a lot of (Bakerstreet) or famous people/positions (Queens-road) so yea... get a map :)
-Best regards LAYF

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 pm

oh I want to eat fish and chips, drink tea and meet you guys

oh and not leave poor

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:You should also see York, Its a really cool blend of Viking-Middle age England-renicance England and modern Aaaaaaand new york is named after it :P

That said... where are you traveling from? (What state, cant remember)

Cab's are expensive, but England got good European infrastructure, so you can take bus or train nearly any where without problems (That at least is what I've done when I've been there)
Finding your way around might be a bit hard if you are from one of those cities with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on street. because, England, as the rest of Europe, use street names based on something that happened loooong before Americas history began... naming streets after what there were a lot of (Bakerstreet) or famous people/positions (Queens-road) so yea... get a map :)
Washington; I live like 5 miles from Seattle-Tacoma Int'l airport. And if I can master driving in the Seattle Metro- where 119 Pl SE intersects NW 125th street (numbers pulled out of thin air, but they're close to right I think) - I can figure out London... I just don't want to drive.

HennaGaijin
Of Few Words

Post by HennaGaijin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 am

Just saw this topic in my re-exploration of the forums and thought it looked cool, then remembered I was already vaguely involved!
I'm probably set for accommodation and stuff because I have family living in London and I can't think of anything I'd be particularly likely to opt out of, though as a student that may be affected by my purse strings later in the day ;)
I vaguely remember a trip to Cambridge being mentionned as a possibility by someone somewhen somewhere. Assuming I'm back in the UK when this takes place I could be a guide for that as I'm at university there!
If I'm not back and you do go, don't believe a word the punt tour guides say. There's a whole facebook page somewhere dedicated to the funniest stories they make up (now sadly neglected).
*Insert witty signature here*

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 am

So, any more thoughts on this? Anyone? I realize it's still the better part of a year away, but it would be nice to sketch out what might be possible.

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 am

Update on Dates:

The WorldCon that Thunt might be able to attend is August 14-18 - which is precisely when my birthday is.

I can plan my trip to somewhere else in Europe so that I'll arrive shortly back after then - which was already my plan. But I plan to leave London to return to Canada around August 24/25 because it takes me about 24 hours to get home depending on the length of stop-over in Toronto and how much time I have between arriving in Winnipeg and the bus.

So if you guys want to plan out your trips so that you'd be in London for about the 14/15-23 or something... that'd be nice for both me and Thunt.

The Con date can't be changed... and I at least, as much as I adore you all, am not spending my 30th birthday in London. I am spending it somewhere new.

:)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Great Goblin Invasion (Apx. Date: Aug. 14-20?)

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 am

I'm going to uni in the south of England at the moment, so getting to London around that time would be a piece of cake (though slightly expensive, because trains). Cambridge too, since I've got friends who live around that area. Although, my birthday's on the 22nd, so family things (such as holidays abroad) may end up being planned for around that time - it's so far away, I really don't know!

If you guys make plans, I can maybe pop up on one of the days or something.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 am

Pffft the train cost is totally cheap in comparison to my trip ;) (I know, I know, different budgets and all that!) :)

You don't have to answer but I am guessing Southampton Uni! Why? Because I can!

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Should be possible to be in london around that time, but I doubt I will participate in the con though
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:46 pm

seeing as cr is bacily forcing me to have a job again this summer I might not be able to come
then again seeing as it's the end of the summer I coul always just quite