10 October, 2013: Cammer

Discuss the comic here!
raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Re: 10 October, 2013: Cammer

Post by raaabr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm guessing the player avoided using it because it was "Too good to use" until it became too weak to be of any use?
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 am

knightwalkr wrote:Coolest weapon I ever gave a player

Bow (given to a ranger)
When fired at a favored enemy the arrow acts as the spell magic Missile cast by a wizard of Equal level to the bow holder. If fired at any other enemy the arrow acts as a sleep spell. And as an added bit of annoyance... it had a 1d6 chance of dis enchanting. roll a 1 on a d6 and it becomes a standard Bow.
Arrow acting as a sleep spell? So...they go to sleep, and the arrow damage immediately wakes them up again?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:05 am

I read about an ranger that crafted hollow ceramic arrow points, which he filled with oozes that turned anything that failed its roll into an ooze. (Considering the ooze was inside a wound it was a one hit kill..eventually :P)

-
Sorry for the horrible explanation I don't play D&D but I remember reading about that clever combo. (I believe it was in a thread about the 'thousand peasant rail-gun' or gauss gun...Not sure, I will google it after I finish preparing Dinner.)

Edit: Thanks for saving me the hassle RedWoodElf
Last edited by BordeauxRow on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am

Sounds like the ooze was a sort of a liquid Thing, consuming carbon to grow. Eventually, the target is 33% ooze, 66% water, and 1% impurities like iron.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 am

BordeauxRow wrote:I read about an ranger that crafted hollow ceramic arrow points, which he filled with oozes that turned anything that failed its roll into an ooze. (Considering the ooze was inside a wound it was a one hit kill..eventually :P)

-
Sorry for the horrible explanation I don't play D&D but I remember reading about that clever combo. (I believe it was in a thread about the 'thousand peasant rail-gun' or gauss gun...Not sure, I will google it after I finish preparing Dinner.)
It's called 'Green Slime" - if it gets on you, you roll 1D4 - If it isn't scraped or burned off in that many rounds, you turn into green slime, no saving throw. The first edition was particularly ripe for abuse, since it doesn't move or attack, it just sits there til you walk in it or fall on it, or it drips on you. By putting it in a crystal or ceramic arrowhead (that's the only materials it doesn't eat) you remove the Scrape Off option by putting it IN the wound, and burning it out becomes a lot more problematic (Particularly since most enemies won't even realise they're contaminated until they see an ally turn to green slime 1-4 minutes after being shot.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 am

BordeauxRow wrote:I read about an ranger that crafted hollow ceramic arrow points, which he filled with oozes that turned anything that failed its roll into an ooze. (Considering the ooze was inside a wound it was a one hit kill..eventually :P)
A clever idea, but DMs can take advantage of that too, if they're so inclined. What happens when the ranger takes a hit from a club, or falls down a cliff or trap and one of the ceramic arrowheads breaks?

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 am

Thank you, RedWoodElf. :D
Master TMO wrote:
A clever idea, but DMs can take advantage of that too, if they're so inclined. What happens when the ranger takes a hit from a club, or falls down a cliff or trap and one of the ceramic arrowheads breaks?
( As I said, I personally have never played the game so I don't know the exact rules, but if I had to guess any player using the combo will be be 'smart' (or experienced) enough to keep only a few of these in well padded and separated containers and just have a 'stock' of empty arrow heads so he (or she) can refill them after the fight is over.

knightwalkr
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Willie Pierce

Post by knightwalkr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 am

RedwoodElf wrote:
knightwalkr wrote:Coolest weapon I ever gave a player

Bow (given to a ranger)
When fired at a favored enemy the arrow acts as the spell magic Missile cast by a wizard of Equal level to the bow holder. If fired at any other enemy the arrow acts as a sleep spell. And as an added bit of annoyance... it had a 1d6 chance of dis enchanting. roll a 1 on a d6 and it becomes a standard Bow.
Arrow acting as a sleep spell? So...they go to sleep, and the arrow damage immediately wakes them up again?

When fired the arrow became the spell. So no damage if it became a sleep spell... If fired at a favored enemy the arrow became magic missile as if fired from a wizard of equal level to the holder of the bow. Very powerful when used against your favored enemy kinda weak when fired at a non favored enemy.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

willpell wrote:At this point my assumption is that our Kin will let MM and Forgath leave via the Teapot, then join the Kinship for long enough to get a copy she can keep, and ask them to change her reality-number back to 156 so she can leave too, after which they could win one more time for themselves.
The problem with this and similar ideas is, 156 will be a different reality by then. Unless, somehow, since they left without winning, no replacement reality will take over 156, whether Kin is still considered part of that reality or not. Or ... the four Kins would have to have SOME reality number. They could take 156, which would still presumably be tied to "our" reality. Never mind, objection withdrawn.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:18 pm

BordeauxRow wrote:Thank you, RedWoodElf. :D
Master TMO wrote:
( As I said, I personally have never played the game so I don't know the exact rules, but if I had to guess any player using the combo will be be 'smart' (or experienced) enough to keep only a few of these in well padded and separated containers and just have a 'stock' of empty arrow heads so he (or she) can refill them after the fight is over.
No worries, that wasn't meant as a criticism of the idea. Merely one of the risks a character might take for using this. It depends on if they've got a kind or cruel DM. I haven't run into a DM yet that checks to see if potions are damaged during a fight or fall, but it's the same idea. Although most potions could be kept in sturdier bottles, since most of them aren't activated by breaking.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm

I once had a character cast Silence on an arrow, intending to shoot it at an enemy spellcaster...
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Sounds like it didn't work out so well, what happened?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Surprisingly, there weren't any spellcasters present on the bad-guy side.

It didn't have nearly the same effect on enemy ranged-weapon guys.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:48 am

warrl wrote:I once had a character cast Silence on an arrow, intending to shoot it at an enemy spellcaster...
Arcane Archers can "just do that" once they have 2 levels in the class...really nice.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/pres ... ane-archer

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am

A little worried that, after 6 days, Thunt hasn't even managed to finish the existing page.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 am

He was on tour, and not at home.
Now he is sick.

Cut him some slack, please.

15 October:
@Thunt_Goblins wrote:@Duke_Igthorn @hataroni Also the timing was perfect. Hardcore, all-night coughing started last night. Lucky!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

ActsStupidly
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: ActsStupidly

Post by ActsStupidly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:37 pm

willpell wrote:
BordeauxRow wrote:ThroughTheWell not all shields are large, ( Polish tradition, knight fights, which I find awesome..Which is besides the point.
OMG, I don't believe it - Poland has invented a sport that I would watch on TV.
+1

Also stealing the "sleeping Dragon" idea as well. Only I'm adding traps because Kobolds.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:11 pm

raaabr wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote: Similar situation: A tribe of Kobolds had the perfect defense for their hidden cave village...they built a fake sleeping dragon over the entrance, complete with water powered machinery inside (built by an enslaved gnome tinker they had prisoner) that made it seem to be breathing and made a loud "Snoring" sound to disguise the sound of the gears. Kept them very safe from low level adventuring parties...at least until they go high enough level to decide they were ready to take on a dragon, and found themselves battling a pile of tin scraps (and thereby making plenty of noise to alert the Kobold villagers to flee into the underdark) - the players went through HOURS of preparation before attacking the "Dragon"...bwahaahaaaaa!

Ooh. You're so evil >:D Still, at least they won't really have to do as much grinding later on, unless "preparing" isn't level grinding. (Can you tell I've played too many RPG's? Huh? CAN YOU?! :D )

Have to wonder how they reacted though. Did they just storm off angrily?
In this case the "Preparation" was making sure the spellcasters had spells memmed that would affect the (apparently red) dragon, getting a very careful position set up for everyone, then finally stacking fire resists on everyone, and casting silence on the fighter so he (and the other heavy armor wearers who stayed near him) wouldn't make noise and wake the dragon before they snuck up into Surprise Round range...It was actually the silence that first alerted the Kobolds (when the guards are used to hearing the very loud "Snoring" sound at the entrance and it suddenly cuts off...) - The bits of fake dragon falling out of the silence zone down the tunnel making a loud tinkling din was just confirmation.
Last edited by RedwoodElf on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Who else thinks that Minmax has already consumed so much mudhoney that he's really hyper and irritable?

(Head canon=ftw)
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Krulle wrote:Cut him some slack, please.
Slack is being cut already. But at least once before, he added time to the countdown clock (I was watching for an update at about midnight yesterday and then it was extended instead), and now it's less than a day from the new time. He could just post a quick blog update saying that he's too sick to work and the comic will be up next week.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BordeauxRow
Mutters to Themself

Post by BordeauxRow » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 am

raaabr wrote:Who else thinks that Minmax has already consumed so much mudhoney that he's really hyper and irritable?

(Head canon=ftw)
I prefer thinking that MinMax's mind is a toned down version of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISso3snkwdc
(Actually, any character that uses intellect as a dump stat 'behaves' like this.)

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Wow, another 4 hours.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Aww, I hope everything's ok :(

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Borys wrote:Wow, another 4 hours.
I would've phrased that as:

Wow, only another 4 hours. (After two conventions and getting sick -- I'd have expected longer)

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 pm

stevedj wrote:
Borys wrote:Wow, another 4 hours.
I would've phrased that as:

Wow, only another 4 hours. (After two conventions and getting sick -- I'd have expected longer)
It's even less now, 3 hours and a bit.