17th October, 2013: No!

Discuss the comic here!
AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Re: 17th October, 2013: No!

Post by AntMac » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:45 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:Next strip:

"Well Kin if we must part, there's something I keep thinking I should do for you. You need a proper Birtpdee present."
:D cue world-wide much sooky sobbing and people claiming the air-con filters are blocked and must be making the room dusty.
dire18 wrote:(and I'm saying this from my female perspective, but I assume the same sentiment holds for you menfolk as well). .
What, almost as if you consider us just as human as you?. Thanks, that is damned decent of you. [/joke]

But probably wrong, you know, if you consider how unlikely it is that even all the other women in the world, think exactly the same way as you on the topic, you are going to accept even us men probably have varied opinions too. I fell in love with a girl who was a friend, and stupid as this sounds, it was because she knew I had a sore foot, and snatched up up my pack and carried it and her own 200 mtrs to a train station. Until she did that ( and afterwards she told me she had already decided she loved me at that point ) she was just a girlfriend who I really liked and trusted. After she did it, that act was always in my mind as a revelation of my/our feelings.

Until she did it, I didn't love her. If you took that act of hers away, I would have probably got on the train and left her behind at some point, still a good friend and trusting her and all the rest.
asdfasdf wrote:if you're going that route theres a decent chance goblinsayer and cain can't be blamed either after what was done to him too.
(we aren't sure what exactly but a mad wizard did something horrible to them and was into capturing and fusing random creatures we don't know for what purpose (the net effect was probably something like goblinslayer's torture rooms) but they escaped together and were partners ever since.)

and kore is just sad and misunderstood too because something happened to him that convinced him evil is infectious after apparently infecting him. it isn't his fault either

nobody that ever has something bad happen to them can ever be fully responsible for what they do because scars :roll:
like how alot of pedophiles were molested
I absolutely agree with everything you posted, except maybe the rolleyes, did your click on the wrong icon there?. ;)

People get head traumas and become unhinged, the legal term is non compos mentis . goblinslayer HAS HALF A WOODENHEAD !
People get PTDS and become unhinged.
And I think we don't know about kore yet, maybe/very likely, he is under demonic or magic compulsion.

Sure, kill them as real and present dangers to life and limb, but have some compassion.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:08 pm

...It's been four panels since the necklace was dropped in the hole, and less than a minute for the characters themselves.

Simon_Jester
Mutters to Themself

Post by Simon_Jester » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Honestly, I think there are two possibilities:

1) Thunt has basically retconned his own earlier explanation of oblivion-holes, and past-interactions with oblivion holes that allowed Kin to do things like deduce that Minmax should have pants, but doesn't because of the oblivion-hole.

2) Thunt has some deeply, deeply weird ideas about how love works, so weird that it's hard to imagine him being in the successful, loving relationship with his wife that we know he is in. And also hard to imagine him showing the generally good grasp of human* nature that his comic has been showing for years.

3) Kin156 will be at most temporarily confused by the effect of dropping the necklace in the hole, and even the time it takes to make tea (several minutes) will probably give her some time to mull it over and reconsider the situation.

*By human I include nonhuman beings that have more-or-less recognizable human psychology.

I consider (2) very unlikely, (1) pretty unlikely, and (3) most likely.

Byzantine2
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Byzantine2 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I think it's pretty clear she's extremely confused and is trying to figure what is going on. She knows about the oblivion holes and is smart enough she will likely deduce something important to her trust for MinMax fell into one, since it easily explains why she trusts him, yet doesn't have a clue why. Of course she wouldn't know Ruby was the cause, then again Ruby doesn't know she's the cause now.

kingreaper
Remains Silent

Post by kingreaper » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 pm

An important note:

Kin remembers Ruby telling her that MinMax was manipulating her.

So, Kin has had that question brought to the fore (should she really trust MinMax) by Ruby. Notice she got the Jade Teapot before the necklace was chucked. There's no reason she would have grabbed the Teapot if she weren't considering having them drink... and I can't imagine she was planning to betray her people by drinking herself.

She doesn't trust the fact she trusts MinMax. And with the Necklace, one of the things that started the trust, gone, she's even more confused about why she started trusting him.

Her emotions haven't changed; they were already conflicted.

iocane
Remains Silent

Post by iocane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Oh man, they're splitting the party ...and I think I'm beginning to understand what's being set up here. Remember Forgath's prophecy?

"When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate."

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I suspect Forgath and Minmax will soon be led to believe that Kin's clan and their quest for the Jade Teapot is of more consequence than they initially understood. And now Kin doesn't have a reason to trust Minmax...

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:31 pm

kingreaper wrote:An important note:

Kin remembers Ruby telling her that MinMax was manipulating her.

So, Kin has had that question brought to the fore (should she really trust MinMax) by Ruby. Notice she got the Jade Teapot before the necklace was chucked. There's no reason she would have grabbed the Teapot if she weren't considering having them drink... and I can't imagine she was planning to betray her people by drinking herself.

She doesn't trust the fact she trusts MinMax. And with the Necklace, one of the things that started the trust, gone, she's even more confused about why she started trusting him.

Her emotions haven't changed; they were already conflicted.
Hm. The teapot was the whole reason she entered the maze. She had started to ask MinMax to come with her. I don't know how she was planning to get out of the Maze, but she clearly had some idea in mind. She just wasn't sure she ought to be asking that big a favour of him -- to abandon his original goal and come with her.
► Show Spoiler

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:13 pm

AntMac wrote:But probably wrong, you know, if you consider how unlikely it is that even all the other women in the world, think exactly the same way as you on the topic, you are going to accept even us men probably have varied opinions too. I fell in love with a girl who was a friend, and stupid as this sounds, it was because she knew I had a sore foot, and snatched up up my pack and carried it and her own 200 mtrs to a train station. Until she did that ( and afterwards she told me she had already decided she loved me at that point ) she was just a girlfriend who I really liked and trusted. After she did it, that act was always in my mind as a revelation of my/our feelings.
Yes. We would not complain - at least not as much - if the oblivion was retroactively removing consequences. But since it does not, people are saying it does not make much sense. And your example is actually another one, you would not suddenly stop loving her if you hit yourself hard on the head and forgot that particular day, would you?

It is incredibly romantic and immature approach towards love (the latest story twist), but i am waiting to see what Thunt has in mind for the future. He certainly came close to terrible cliches, but for now, always resolved it well. Since FKM is my preferred arc, i certainly hope it will be the same case.

For all we know at the moment, is that Kin is (understandably) confused now about her own feelings. Such things happen in life, i mean, people get weird attachments to other people sometimes and get freaked out by it, the problem with Kin is that she has other memories to reason about so her deciding to part ways would be out of character.

But i was surprised she had trouble verbalizing her question (asking them to come with her) in first place. She suddenly became shy or something? Why would it be difficult to ask? Or perhaps she was puzzled about her own motivation (seeing as she was in denial before, the whole seeing and love thing among her kin)

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:28 pm

AntMac wrote:
But probably wrong, you know, if you consider how unlikely it is that even all the other women in the world, think exactly the same way as you on the topic, you are going to accept even us men probably have varied opinions too. I fell in love with a girl who was a friend, and stupid as this sounds, it was because she knew I had a sore foot, and snatched up up my pack and carried it and her own 200 mtrs to a train station. Until she did that ( and afterwards she told me she had already decided she loved me at that point ) she was just a girlfriend who I really liked and trusted. After she did it, that act was always in my mind as a revelation of my/our feelings.

Until she did it, I didn't love her. If you took that act of hers away, I would have probably got on the train and left her behind at some point, still a good friend and trusting her and all the rest.
But now with your backpack dropped into an oblivion hole, you would now wonder why you loved her, and have issues with your feelings, as you would have already done everything you did in the past with her.
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Simon_Jester wrote:Honestly, I think there are two possibilities:

1) Thunt has basically retconned his own earlier explanation of oblivion-holes, and past-interactions with oblivion holes that allowed Kin to do things like deduce that Minmax should have pants, but doesn't because of the oblivion-hole.

2) Thunt has some deeply, deeply weird ideas about how love works, so weird that it's hard to imagine him being in the successful, loving relationship with his wife that we know he is in. And also hard to imagine him showing the generally good grasp of human* nature that his comic has been showing for years.

3) Kin156 will be at most temporarily confused by the effect of dropping the necklace in the hole, and even the time it takes to make tea (several minutes) will probably give her some time to mull it over and reconsider the situation.

*By human I include nonhuman beings that have more-or-less recognizable human psychology.

I consider (2) very unlikely, (1) pretty unlikely, and (3) most likely.
I think you need to pay some attention to your basic algebra, my friend ;)

Hm. You actually might be on something. I hope not, but lets dissect Thunt personalty, that should be only slightly creepy and offensive.

While i dont follow him and only read a few blog posts, no twitter or livestream, his latest post about apologizing to everyone idealizes Danielle to the extreme. This is in line with the other romantic love components (love conquers all, love at first sight, only you, idealization). So, the verdict would be that Thunt is very sweet boy and unfortunately Kin has to suffer because of it?

Now i feel filthy and creepy. But at least this post brought me new forum title, mumbles incoherently. Fitting o:)

Meridianson
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Meridianson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Grim Levity wrote:
Occams Meataxe wrote:It's official. The snake-bitch deserves to die.
No, not to die.

If one stops and thinks about what Ruby has truly done here, it'd give serious pause. She didn't just destroy the love Minmax and our Kin shared--she ripped a memory from Kin against her will. Whatever Ruby may have thought, Kin did offer her choice plainly and Ruby FORCIBLY ALTERED HER MIND so she *might* see things Ruby's way.

She used a dangerous and entirely alien form of destruction to MAYBE sway Kin's decision.

It's a horrible thought, but something that would be direct and ironic justice that Ruby should face is not death. She essentially took something intimate from Kin, something that no one else should have power over.

Ruby deserves to have her leash held again by someone--to have her own choices manipulated as she has decided to do.

......This.
Oh my, yes. This.

IonDragonX
Remains Silent

Post by IonDragonX » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Sessine wrote:Hm. The teapot was the whole reason she entered the maze. She had started to ask MinMax to come with her. I don't know how she was planning to get out of the Maze, but she clearly had some idea in mind.
Getting out of the maze is the easy part. Just pick up one piece of loot and stand on the right circle. You and your loot then exit the same portal that you entered the MoM. Although, if she had no assistance like MM and Forgath, it would be really dangerous for her to carry the teapot all the way home by herself.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 pm

IonDragonX wrote:
Sessine wrote:Hm. The teapot was the whole reason she entered the maze. She had started to ask MinMax to come with her. I don't know how she was planning to get out of the Maze, but she clearly had some idea in mind.
Getting out of the maze is the easy part. Just pick up one piece of loot and stand on the right circle. You and your loot then exit the same portal that you entered the MoM. Although, if she had no assistance like MM and Forgath, it would be really dangerous for her to carry the teapot all the way home by herself.
Getting out of the maze is NOT the easy part right now. A winner for this particular run has been decided. She will have to run through the maze again, as many times as is required to win, for her to obtain the Jade Teapot AND leave to her reality with it.

She was going to ask Minmax and Forgath to run through it again with her. And they probably would have done it, too. ~.~ Now I has a sad.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:43 pm

iocane wrote:Remember Forgath's prophecy?
Yes, we remember it. Because a significant number of forumites (I honestly don't know who, so this complaint isn't personal or anything, just due to the general repetetiveness) comment on every strip in terms of how they think it can be interpreted as leading up to their preferred scenario for how the prophecy will be fulfilled, if you squint just right. And no doubt each of them think they're the first to think up this brilliant idea. I rather wish Thunt would put a disclaimer on the main page saying "Just chill out about the prophecy already, when it happens, you'll frigging know okay?". Of course, that assumes he doesn't want to generate buzz about it, which it is entirely possible he does (and if that's the case then my general weariness with said buzz probably isn't a concern to him, so I'll just be over here in the corner muttering to myself).
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:23 pm

willpell wrote:
AntMac wrote:a) She is a traumatised victim of violence, basically is slightly less than capable of rational thought on the topic of "Kins being trusting of males". In a real way she isn't capable of being blamed for this, any more than we would blame a burn victim for throwing water in a smokers face. It is bad behaviour, and disrespectful of the targets autonomy, but really, they are a moral cripple at that point.
No. No, fuck that, a thousand times no. This is exactly what people who are looking for an excuse to justify their actions want to hear. Anyone can come up with some explanation of why they aren't responsible for their actions, and the result is a society where nobody acknowledges personal responsibility, and people do things like sue their parents for not loving them enough. Nobody gets to escape moral culpability for their actions just because they're a little fucked up in the head - we all have our own issues, and there's no excuse for not rising above them.
I've been willing give her a lot of leeway for having suffered so much crap. But her right to curl up in a ball and protect herself does not excuse her deciding she gets to overrule other people's life-altering decisions. That was just plain evil, and I wholeheartedly agree that there is no excuse. Ruby is performing an act of pure evil in throwing that necklace in the oblivion hole.

I can't stand Ruby or this development. I'm not saying it's bad storytelling. It's not. But I assume I'm not supposed to be ok with it.

RMT1976
Remains Silent

Post by RMT1976 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Kin is going to discover what Ruby did, somehow - up in the air as to how atm. Then there's going to be an argument about how what Ruby did to Kin was a form of abuse almost as bad as what was done to her in the first place. Kin will leave the new group and use the teapot to return to MM. Fade out with them hugging.

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:16 am

Nice job on the Ruby panels Thunt, especially on the Ken necklace. You are getting the hang of it :)

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:35 am

Maur wrote:Yes. We would not complain - at least not as much - if the oblivion was retroactively removing consequences. But since it does not, people are saying it does not make much sense. And your example is actually another one, you would not suddenly stop loving her if you hit yourself hard on the head and forgot that particular day, would you?
Insane Kitty wrote: But now with your backpack dropped into an oblivion hole, you would now wonder why you loved her, and have issues with your feelings, as you would have already done everything you did in the past with her.

:D I got all excited there for a moment, I thought I had a funny thing to point out, cause I thought you guys posted, one after another, telling me exact opposite things.

If it was retroactive and I forgot about her carrying my backpack, I sure would be confused about why I decided suddenly I loved her, but you are right, I would still feel I loved her. The reason I was just friends with her was all to do with not trusting her feelings for me because I didn't know anything about them, we were both pretending to be cool and collected as a way of protecting ourselves from disappointment and vulnerability.

SO, if the bag went into the oblivion hole BEFORE we had revealed our feelings to one another . . . before I said "I'm going to tell you something , and I want you to promise not to laugh at me" . . . I would still love her, but I would be SO CONFUSED and untrusting of it "(edit because too much information)

wyrmbear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by wyrmbear » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:26 am

I think something VERY important that we all seem to be forgetting is that KIN'S RACE DOESN'T KNOW LOVE. Love is a foreign concept to them. They have dedication, "seeing" (which basically is love) - but it ONLY applies to their own kind. (edit: it should be inferred that this is from Kin's PoV)

So yeah, she's conflicted, because not only does she SEE this human, but she loves him -- and doesn't know why.

The act of gifting her with the necklace at the birthday party with the full-flavored menu (including rock!), was the spark that ignited it. Before then, he was just a human who killed monsters, who saved her from a monster, but wouldn't have cared if she died. That he took the time to get to know her, felt for her, a gave her something like that in a moment of utter selflessness, THAT is what got the ball rolling on the love thing.

No necklace, no memory of the spark - now, because love is the reason Psimax failed so often, the memory of the spark could be quashed, but not the spark itself.

It'd be like waking up from a coma and not knowing why you have that "washover" feeling about the woman sleeping in the chair on the other side of the room.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:44 am

It's not the "before then" so much as the "after then" which bugs me (and presumably others). Even if the necklace was the linchpin of all of Kin's feelings, they should have become interconnected enough by now, through all their subsequent adventures, that they would no longer collapse from the removal of one keystone.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:52 am

The last panel reminds me of this page...

http://www.goblinscomic.com/01102012/

Yes, I'd have named the thread differently..... "a lady without legs..."
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:20 am

morikahn wrote:Nice job on the Ruby panels Thunt, especially on the Ken necklace. You are getting the hang of it :)
You are still missed, though.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:57 am

RocketScientist wrote:
morikahn wrote:Nice job on the Ruby panels Thunt, especially on the Ken necklace. You are getting the hang of it :)
You are still missed, though.
You know... now that THunt's schedule is more spread out from before, being every 5+ days...

... just sayin' ... :roll:

That is all.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 am

willpell wrote:I rather wish Thunt would put a disclaimer on the main page saying "Just chill out about the prophecy already, when it happens, you'll frigging know okay?". Of course, that assumes he doesn't want to generate buzz about it, which it is entirely possible he does (and if that's the case then my general weariness with said buzz probably isn't a concern to him, so I'll just be over here in the corner muttering to myself).
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Alfie
Remains Silent

Post by Alfie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 am

This is like Aeris dieing.