28th October, 2013 - Human!

Discuss the comic here!
Maur
Of Few Words

Re: 28th October, 2013 - Human!

Post by Maur » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:Please do continue the conversation about how the history of racism and slavery should influence a fantasy setting like D&D, it has been a very fascinating read thus far!
I will take it to the controversy, since we really drifted away (and willpell is not participating in that theme)

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:24 pm

Changes_everything wrote:
Yeah, now that I had another look at it, that seems more likely!

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Okay, that works too I suppose. Really though you can continue it here if you would like.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

By Maglubiyet, what have I done! :D

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:25 pm

I believe you pulled the tail of the dragon ;)
All hail the power of the stick!

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:34 pm

► Show Spoiler
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:51 pm

[mod="Arch Lich Burns"]Willpell, you were banned from Controversy for a number amount of reasons and they are as follows: sexist, transphobic, insulting, blaming the victim of the crimes, bashing mods, hateful posts, and have posts full of spite. We gave you many chances to change your attitude and gave many reasons as to what you should stop doing. You were temporary banned from Controversy! and when you got back to it, you went to your normal routine and now you are blaming us for your own actions against the community. If you wish to talk about this, talk to us via pm, but don't bring it up in normal threads.[/mod]

Ellendra
Remains Silent

Post by Ellendra » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 pm

There's still a way to fix this: get Kin right up next to one of the oblivion holes, and get as much of the leash into the hole as she can without losing her neck. Leash goes bye-bye, which means MM never grabbed it, and at least some of the horrible things Goblin Slayer did to her cease to have happened!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Ellendra wrote:There's still a way to fix this: get Kin right up next to one of the oblivion holes, and get as much of the leash into the hole as she can without losing her neck. Leash goes bye-bye, which means MM never grabbed it, and at least some of the horrible things Goblin Slayer did to her cease to have happened!
Hmm.. yes... I see what you mean.. but then.. if the Leash newer was, why did she then "Allow" GS to treat her like that? I actually think, that the psychological scaring on her would be even more great if she Thinks that she could have acted multiple times, but just newer did.. because... well... why did she not act? think how powerless that would make her feel...
I know OB hole migh get the leash off.. but it think its a bad solution for her mind....

just my 2 cents....
-Best regards LAYF

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 pm

and it just doesn't seem very practical to me ... if you could snip an item off Kin like that then surely that MinMax in the corridor when PsiMax created the Oblivion Holes would have just lost his boots rather than being dragged in ...
All hail the power of the stick!

twinsnake-coatl
Remains Silent

Post by twinsnake-coatl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:32 pm

What about Forghat? Has anyone else wondered about his role in all this? As friend to both Minmax and Kin, he does have the responsibility to help them.

It should also be pointed out that Kin is as much an aggressor as she is a victim. One minute she states that she trusts Minmax, the next she threatens with abandoning him; and when he asks for an explanation, Kin refuses to give one. It's only obvious that Minmax will feel confused and, most importantly, hurt.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 pm

► Show Spoiler
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:14 am

twinsnake-coatl wrote:What about Forghat? Has anyone else wondered about his role in all this? As friend to both Minmax and Kin, he does have the responsibility to help them.

It should also be pointed out that Kin is as much an aggressor as she is a victim. One minute she states that she trusts Minmax, the next she threatens with abandoning him; and when he asks for an explanation, Kin refuses to give one. It's only obvious that Minmax will feel confused and, most importantly, hurt.
I think Forgath is most likely to help Minmax first. He's in the same area as him and has known him for longer. Kin's also very... tempermental (?) at the moment, so he may go to talk to Kin a little bit later.

And yeah, although her reaction is understandable, from the point of view of Minmax, it's as if she's suddenly changed personality.

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 am

I am not liking the way this is going. My best guess is that outside the Maze she will remember everything and the jade teapot will be left under a tree somewhere when she teleports after her friends.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:50 am

Simon wrote:So.... has anyone seen the sneak peek panel Thunt posted on his twitter?
► Show Spoiler
(Spoilered because I'm talking about the image).
Ouch, the pathos! :wall:

I know some people have been demonizing Minmax, but lets face it, he's not the brightest and he made a horrible mistake. Poor schmuck.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 am

Demonising?. This is the problem with the world today, celebrity and looks and likeability trump justice. OJ couldn'ta dunnit, he is a great sportsman. Diana was a saint. And on ad nauseam.
Add the feeling (mostly the young) people have that individual wishes are sacred, "I want to do this so I ought to be allowed to", this overwhelming sense of entitlement the modern would is drowning* in, and you get the curious situation that a character gets automatic forgiveness from a big percentage of the audience for

grabbing a rope tied around a females neck and saying stop.

These two selfish feelings prevalent in our extended society are the reason it is a commonplace to read about boyfriends beating their girlfriends half or entirely to death. "I am great, and I want to do this, and you are not going to stop me with logic and morals because I am not listening to you".

Listen, he isn't a demon, he is a likable doofus with a Jock attitude (he sold his reading skills for strength, if that isn't the ground floor basic description of a Jock, what is?) and some basic compassion for people, who is so selfish that his own feelings are more important to him than the concerns and rights of others. And this selfish regard has lead to the case that a woman who began to trust him right against her real experience and basic nature, has point blank had it proved why he is not to be trusted.

He means well but he is not to be trusted with anything important. Would he steal your wallet?. NO, of course he wouldn't. Would he lose it then make excuses about it?. YES, of course he would, we have seen him do these things.

* All the graffiti, the "peer-to-peer" thefts, the rampant almost exponential-increased cheating in school exams, all of it basically because the young think they are entitled to anything they want.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:51 am

AntMac wrote:Add the feeling (mostly the young) people have that individual wishes are sacred, "I want to do this so I ought to be allowed to", this overwhelming sense of entitlement the modern would is drowning* in, and you get the curious situation that a character gets automatic forgiveness from a big percentage of the audience for

These two selfish feelings prevalent in our extended society are the reason it is a commonplace to read about boyfriends beating their girlfriends half or entirely to death. "I am great, and I want to do this, and you are not going to stop me with logic and morals because I am not listening to you".
Uh, AntMac, violent crime is sharply dropping for twenty years already.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Maur wrote:
AntMac wrote:Add the feeling (mostly the young) people have that individual wishes are sacred, "I want to do this so I ought to be allowed to", this overwhelming sense of entitlement the modern would is drowning* in, and you get the curious situation that a character gets automatic forgiveness from a big percentage of the audience for

Do you have a dictionary inside your computer?, most people do.

Use it more often. In specific, look up commonplace.

Grim Levity
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Grim Levity

Post by Grim Levity » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:34 pm

AntMac wrote:Demonising?. This is the problem with the world today, celebrity and looks and likeability trump justice. OJ couldn'ta dunnit, he is a great sportsman. Diana was a saint. And on ad nauseam.
Add the feeling (mostly the young) people have that individual wishes are sacred, "I want to do this so I ought to be allowed to", this overwhelming sense of entitlement the modern would is drowning* in, and you get the curious situation that a character gets automatic forgiveness from a big percentage of the audience for

Listen, he isn't a demon, he is a likable doofus with a Jock attitude (he sold his reading skills for strength, if that isn't the ground floor basic description of a Jock, what is?) and some basic compassion for people, who is so selfish that his own feelings are more important to him than the concerns and rights of others. And this selfish regard has lead to the case that a woman who began to trust him right against her real experience and basic nature, has point blank had it proved why he is not to be trusted.

He means well but he is not to be trusted with anything important. Would he steal your wallet?. NO, of course he wouldn't. Would he lose it then make excuses about it?. YES, of course he would, we have seen him do these things.

* All the graffiti, the "peer-to-peer" thefts, the rampant almost exponential-increased cheating in school exams, all of it basically because the young think they are entitled to anything they want.
I think it was Thunt that did the demonizing in this case by having Minmax perform the action at all. Yes, we've known Minmax to be a selfish lout with a basic compassion.

Now he is the Minmax who made to sacrifice himself so Kin and his best buddy could potentially escape the maze. As you seem to have noted he's a doofus, so he probably didn't even begin to think about surviving until they could use the keys and escape, thus saving him. He was just thinking about getting them out. Period. That's not the action of someone who is still trapped in selfishness. It's not the action of someone who'd grab a rope around a girl's neck--particularly the girl he feels such strong things for.

You talk about what we've seen of Minmax in the past... but you're dismissing, too, the growth we all saw in the maze--and even before the maze bit by bit--previous to the very jarring moment where he grabbed the leash.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm

AntMac wrote:
Maur wrote:

Do you have a dictionary inside your computer?, most people do.

Use it more often. In specific, look up commonplace.
You said these things are reason for such crimes to be commonplace. You said these things are more common nowadays. Yet such crimes are much rarer.

Is it clear now what i was saying?

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Maur wrote: Is it clear now what i was saying?
Quite quite clear that you do not know the literal and commonplace usage of the word commonplace, anyway. And I did not say "these things are more common nowadays". Nor are you even remotely correct when you say violent crime is sharply dropping for twenty years now, as you make not one qualification as to where. The people in Mexico would love you to be right. So too the people in Ivory Coast.

Work that dictionary harder, everyone needs to keep learning something new every day, maybe you need to relearn something's that are old too, but that is no shame, we can't have all the skills without equal effort.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Grim Levity wrote:
I think it was Thunt that did the demonizing in this case by having Minmax perform the action at all. Yes, we've known Minmax to be a selfish lout with a basic compassion.

Now he is the Minmax who made to sacrifice himself so Kin and his best buddy could potentially escape the maze. As you seem to have noted he's a doofus, so he probably didn't even begin to think about surviving until they could use the keys and escape, thus saving him. He was just thinking about getting them out. Period. That's not the action of someone who is still trapped in selfishness. It's not the action of someone who'd grab a rope around a girl's neck--particularly the girl he feels such strong things for.

You talk about what we've seen of Minmax in the past... but you're dismissing, too, the growth we all saw in the maze--and even before the maze bit by bit--previous to the very jarring moment where he grabbed the leash.

Yeah, well, I don't want to agree with your criticism of the writer, because I take my debts seriously, am in his debt to the tune of many years of intermittent pleasure. . . but I don't see how to do that without being at best di-ingenuous, because you make some almost unassailable points. :(

However, maybe he is basically a good guy, who if someone explained to BEFORE this the reasoning why it is just wrong to snatch up leads around anyone's necks, let alone someone who you respect . . . it might have been at the forefront of his mind. It surely was in his mind, because of his instant comprehension of his having hurt her. Not evil, just untrustworthy.

You are to consider that maybe he leapt down a hole to his probably death to save Forgarth and Kin the very same way he would have leapt into the thick of a sword fight against some Bronze Golem of 20000 HP to save Forgarth and Kin. It is just basically what his build is for, heroics. And trampling on others' sensibilities. Edit to add, in fairness, his whole storyline is of someone working to deal with that trampling fault.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:04 pm

AntMac wrote:
Maur wrote: Is it clear now what i was saying?
Quite quite clear that you do not know the literal and commonplace usage of the word commonplace, anyway. And I did not say "these things are more common nowadays". Nor are you even remotely correct when you say violent crime is sharply dropping for twenty years now, as you make not one qualification as to where. The people in Mexico would love you to be right. So too the people in Ivory Coast.

Work that dictionary harder, everyone needs to keep learning something new every day, maybe you need to relearn something's that are old too, but that is no shame, we can't have all the skills without equal effort.
Well, i am not a native speaker, true. I guess you are, then, so i am talking about your place, which i suppose you were talking about, too. And i bet you have no idea about crime rate in Ivory Coast, nor, likely, Mexico.

Notice the rather telling graph (USA):

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... g-success/

You were saying that the attitudes you described are more common today. Not explicitly, but any reasonable person would make that interpretation. I will bold the telling parts for ease.
AntMac wrote: Demonising?. This is the problem with the world today, celebrity and looks and likeability trump justice. OJ couldn'ta dunnit, he is a great sportsman. Diana was a saint. And on ad nauseam.

It is clear that you were implying what i responded to. Of course, you did not exactly say that this crime is commonplace nowadays, you said it is common to read about it in newspapers*. But trying to say it was your point would be cop out on a only slightly smaller scale than trying to claim modern would was not a typo for modern world.

Which i guess is part of why you have this mistaken opinion, but i digress.

Edit/Bolding did not work? Huh... underlining then.

Grim Levity
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Grim Levity

Post by Grim Levity » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 pm

AntMac wrote:
Grim Levity wrote:

Yeah, well, I don't want to agree with your criticism of the writer, because I take my debts seriously, am in his debt to the tune of many years of intermittent pleasure. . . but I don't see how to do that without being at best di-ingenuous, because you make some almost unassailable points. :(

However, maybe he is basically a good guy, who if someone explained to BEFORE this the reasoning why it is just wrong to snatch up leads around anyone's necks, let alone someone who you respect . . . it might have been at the forefront of his mind. It surely was in his mind, because of his instant comprehension of his having hurt her. Not evil, just untrustworthy.

You are to consider that maybe he leapt down a hole to his probably death to save Forgarth and Kin the very same way he would have leapt into the thick of a sword fight against some Bronze Golem of 20000 HP to save Forgarth and Kin. It is just basically what his build is for, heroics. And trampling on others' sensibilities. Edit to add, in fairness, his whole storyline is of someone working to deal with that trampling fault.
You're making a decent case as well, but there's more than that one situation to consider--I just used it because it was probably the freshest example of how Minmax has grown as a man and how powerful his conscience has become--if it wasn't already this way.

He took pains not to touch Kin under almost any circumstance for a long while. Finally, when they are in the maze and the trees are growing around them... at first even THEN he doesn't touch her. Only when things look their most bleak and it seems like there's no other possible way, he loses himself to rage and a desire to protect Kin and grabs her up to save her. He gets her to safety and sets her down... and immediately apologizes for touching her.

He doesn't first say a word or even make a gesture about how awesome what he just did was--which it unquestionably was, particularly for a dopey jock archetype--he apologizes for touching her despite that touch saving her life and taking her away from a waking nightmare.

If his first instinct, then, was to do a little 'touchdown' dance or talk about how awesome it was and only apologize when he realized Kin still looked shaken, I think I could let this go and see your point without any significant retort. However, this was about her feelings and them coming first even though what he did could easily be argued to be objectively right. However, this showed a seriously large leap in his character development despite the little dopey Minmax moments that followed.

Yes, he still does silly things like whine about Forgath's helmet-water, mangle basic english, and the like. However, it felt like that particular scene wasn't just one building on Kin and Minmax's relationship but a milestone in the building of his character. Heroics DID ensue... but even he put them out of his mind in favor of Kin's sensibilities.

All these things together is what makes the leash-grab so jarring and discomforting. I'm not saying Thunt is a bad storyteller by any stretch--he's proven himself to be amazing as a storyteller. I say this as a guy who came to appreciate K'sellis' character and grudgingly had to admit his death was an amazing scene of characterization and probably the best send-off for him. What I am saying is that this particular choice to have Minmax grab up the leash at this moment doesn't feel like a good storytelling move but a means to generate drama that isn't consistent with what the story's told us to this point.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:11 pm

AntMac, Maur chill. We're all friends here. ;)