1st November, 2013 - Sorry

Discuss the comic here!
Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Re: 1st November, 2013 - Sorry

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am

fumblesfan wrote: 1) The gears bring back things 'oblivioned'. . . the beard seems like an obvious literary attempt to pre-establish what will happen with the necklace.
But they didn't bring back MM's boot or pants, so presumably they only affect body parts.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Hello :)

Post by Simon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 am

willpell wrote:
Malcanthet wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/09292013/

Remember this comic, panel three. "Our physical actions will be reset."

Stealing the necklace is a physical action and an effect of the maze. Resetting the maze will reset the necklace. Stuff will happen.
Maybe. If the oblivion holes aren't an exception.
(Welcome, by the way.)
Mueca wrote:
But there isn't, and hasn't ever been, a necklace to be brought back through resetting.
The way I see it, this theory could work if the maze has some sort of 'memory' from which it restores things. Every reset, the maze is wiped clean and the characters are created again exactly as they entered at the start.
The maze HAS to be able to regenerate clothing. Imagine every time an individual here is stabbed, burned, slashed etc. By this time in the maze, after this many resets, their clothing should be in tatters. Kin could find someone to remove curse on her collar and, even if it takes a few goes (what with it exploding half the time), she'd respawn without the collar (and probably naked). One of the Kins states that they cannot keep any items they get, because of the physical reset. So the maze HAS to be able to regenerate items. I don't think anyone disagrees with the item recreation (because I'm pretty much just saying what's happened in the comic) but it's whether the oblivion holes have had any affect.

Forgath's beard, which was oblivionated, still managed to be recreated (even though it was with the IME). Minmax's bag (and psymax's clothing) were NOT regenerated, suggesting psymax's regeneration pillar isn't part of the maze.
I assume it taps into the power/function of the maze though, but uses the IME to recreate the body parts. The pillar may not be designed to regenerate items. Possibly, if there was a 'body memory' with the IME, the regenerator could regenerate it, seperate from the maze memory (body and items). As a necklace, or clothing isn't part of a body, that wouldn't be recreated. Therefore, when psymax regenerated, he had no clothing. The real maze regenerator wouldn't need to use the IME and so could pop them back into existance at the start unharmed.

A few problems with this though, I said that the IME has a body memory. I've got no evidence for that and I don't believe that will factor in at all (it's not been mentioned before). The regenerator didn't recreate Minmax's bag, Minmax's oblivionated clothing, or Psymax's non-oblivionated clothing. That suggests it doesn't do clothes, just bodies, but doesn't indicate anything towards the maze's personal un-oblivionating qualities. For all I know, psymax may have had a copy of everything 'on file' incase anything went wrong. It's plausible he had the pillar set to regenerate him if he fell into incomplete oblivion (as the pillar would exist still).
There are probably more problems (or solutions for this) that I cannot be bothered to think of at the moment.

I personally like the idea of the necklace being reset, but it's whether the facts what we know about the maze/oblivion etc make it seem likely whether it'll fix things.
Last edited by Simon on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 am

I'd think the gear machine could be used to fix the oblivion holes, as it had been used to create them. They're a little dangerous and annoying to leave around, so the Kins could patch them before resetting the Maze. If they do that, it seems to me that's a good shot at restoring the necklace. PsiMax's party kept their memories while getting physically restored, and presumably he had been remade by his failsale before yet was "normal" after a reset, so if the Kins do the same memory-saving reset I'd expect our Kin to have her necklace come back along with her natural tail.

But I also expect MinMax to be long gone at that point.

fumblesfan
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by fumblesfan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 am

Brings Cupcakes wrote:
fumblesfan wrote: 1) The gears bring back things 'oblivioned'. . . the beard seems like an obvious literary attempt to pre-establish what will happen with the necklace.
But they didn't bring back MM's boot or pants, so presumably they only affect body parts.
Ok, so it restores here "heart"/"feelings" even if the physical necklace isn't restored. I'm still of the mindset that restoration of the beard that got oblivioned, was a primer for the restoration of Kin's feelings for MM.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:38 am

I think that the gears will only return organic matter that shares the same DNA structure as the creature that touches it. Hence why MM touching it restored his eye, and Forgath his beard, and Kin her tail.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:39 am

lingrem wrote:I think that the gears will only return organic matter that shares the same DNA structure as the creature that touches it. Hence why MM touching it restored his eye, and Forgath his beard, and Kin her tail.
And psimax was naked when he was restored by the countdown of said gears :)
-Best regards LAYF

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

Greydoor wrote:So, what's the point in continuing to read this comic if every little pleasant thing done to them will be undone?

I was hoping that Chief would pull through and be stronger for it.

I was hoping K'selis would survive.

I was hoping Dies would have the stones to fight for himself.

And I was hoping that Kin and Minmax would be alright, but this is seeming incredibly unlikely. And if we're being honest, discards anything either of them gained.
Tama wrote:I'm beginning to feel the same way as Greydoor. If every little good thing is soon smashed cruelly into unrecognizable powder, why am I still reading this?! CAN NOTHING GOOD STAY GOOD?!
I think the reasoning is this... Now, I'm not saying it is right, just saying it is reality. :'(

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
lingrem wrote:I think that the gears will only return organic matter that shares the same DNA structure as the creature that touches it. Hence why MM touching it restored his eye, and Forgath his beard, and Kin her tail.
Clearly I opted to block that horrific thought from my mind ;)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:00 pm

lingrem wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
Clearly I opted to block that horrific thought from my mind ;)
Somewhat PG comment.. kind of... I don't know.. maybe?
► Show Spoiler
Sorry... was just to much of an opportunity to pass :P
-Best regards LAYF

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Also, PsiMax wasn't obliviated before being reconstituted, just killed by THumb. Just pointing that out, but that would have been the major function of the failsafe, bringing PsiMax back if he were killed. Restoring whomever touches it would have been a handy way for PsiMax to "heal" without a full Maze reset, and that obviously works on both injuries and partial obliviation of people.

Kaffeeteria
Remains Silent

Post by Kaffeeteria » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm still hoping Kin is on the other side of that glass wall.

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 1st Novemeber - Sorry

Post by currently_awake » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I only see one way this works. Minmax and Forgath teleport to the goblins who are in the middle of a fight with Kore, Kore decides they are evil and attacks them as well. Kin "sees" minmax in trouble and teleports to his aid. Both groups work together to beat Kore.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:00 am

I'd actually find it hilarious if it was all

MM: Hi Names. *Draws Oblivious* Remember me?
[beat]
Thac0: KEEP GOING!
[GAP trample MM and Forgath in their mad rush to get as far away from Kore as possible.]

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 am

Glemp wrote:I'd actually find it hilarious if it was all

[beat]
[GAP trample MM and Forgath in their mad rush to get as far away from Kore as possible.]
Or Maybe:

MM: *Crying* Hi Names. *Draws Oblivious* Remember me?
[beat]
Complains: Are you Crying?
Forgath: Why do you have blood on your face?
*Thaco pushes them all into the entrance to the dungeon as the sound of Kore reloading his crossbows resounds across the bridge*
Thaco: *While pushing* Long story! Move!

But in all seriousness: What are the chances that Minmax is actually going to be depressed? He's been through so much recently.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Maur
Of Few Words

Re: 1st Novemeber - Sorry

Post by Maur » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:47 am

currently_awake wrote:I only see one way this works. Minmax and Forgath teleport to the goblins who are in the middle of a fight with Kore, Kore decides they are evil and attacks them as well. Kin "sees" minmax in trouble and teleports to his aid. Both groups work together to beat Kore.
And then they proceed to solve the problems of world hunger and world peace.

I am afraid thats not the webcomic for it...

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 am

[beat]
I'm hoping something similar to this happens. The goblins only have two directions they can travel (well, three but I think they'd die if they jumped) and Minmax/Forgath would be the easiest to get past.

raaabr wrote: Or Maybe:

MM: *Crying* Hi Names. *Draws Oblivious* Remember me?
[beat]
Complains: Are you Crying?
Forgath: Why do you have blood on your face?
*Thaco pushes them all into the entrance to the dungeon as the sound of Kore reloading his crossbows resounds across the bridge*
Thaco: *While pushing* Long story! Move!

But in all seriousness: What are the chances that Minmax is actually going to be depressed? He's been through so much recently.
I think it's quite likely. And I'm pretty sure that he'll still be upset (maybe not crying as such, but no way near as triumphant as I would have thought he'd be) when he gets to the goblins. I think this is probably the only reasonable way he'd not attack the goblins immediately - if he was happy, he'd probably want to attack them straight away.

Alternatively, in the maze, Kin mentions the goblins and somehow tells Minmax that they're the same as the ones that helped her. So when he goes to them, it's to help. If true, I honestly don't know why he would draw his sword though, it's not as if he'll know Kore is there.
currently_awake wrote:I only see one way this works. Minmax and Forgath teleport to the goblins who are in the middle of a fight with Kore, Kore decides they are evil and attacks them as well. Kin "sees" minmax in trouble and teleports to his aid. Both groups work together to beat Kore.
That would be nice, but someone suggested the theory that the collar stops Kin 'seeing'. They'll have had to remove it* before that happens.

*(the collar, not the theory)

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:29 pm

[beat]
I love this idea :D
All hail the power of the stick!

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:22 pm

I suggested before:

MM: Do you think that's the dwarf that's going to kill you?
F: Let's not find out! You can fight the goblins later. Just follow them into the dungeon. Now!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh, MinMax... :(

Once again THunt, you prove you are a master at story telling. Can't wait for the conclusion to this part of the storyline. I'm hoping Kin comes to her senses and Ruby gets a well deserved comeuppance. (Even though she was doing what she thought was right).
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm

The Kin Minmax relationship...

is DEAD

There will be no happy endings...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

PatchworkBBC
Mutters to Themself

Post by PatchworkBBC » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 am

Wolfie wrote:Oh, MinMax... :(

Once again THunt, you prove you are a master at story telling. Can't wait for the conclusion to this part of the storyline. I'm hoping Kin comes to her senses and Ruby gets a well deserved comeuppance. (Even though she was doing what she thought was right).
She's not doing what she thinks is right, she's doing what she can to gain control over Kin. She's behaving as though Kin is too stupid to make her own choices about how to live her life and deeming it her own responsibility to swoop in and save her from herself: classic controlling behavior. You can see her doing it here (http://www.goblinscomic.org/08302013/) when she's "willing" to risk Kin not regaining her tail because they don't completely understand the restoration device. Not that she's willing to advise Kin to avoid it, but that she is willing to make the decision for her.

fettsvett201
Remains Silent

Post by fettsvett201 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:44 am

1. Find oblivion hole.
2. Stick right hand in.
3. Hand used to grab leash never existed
4. Therefore leash was never grabbed

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:38 am

PatchworkBBC wrote:
Wolfie wrote:<snip> Ruby gets a well deserved comeuppance. (Even though she was doing what she thought was right).
She's not doing what she thinks is right, she's doing what she can to gain control over Kin. She's behaving as though Kin is too stupid to make her own choices about how to live her life and deeming it her own responsibility to swoop in and save her from herself: classic controlling behavior. You can see her doing it here (http://www.goblinscomic.org/08302013/) when she's "willing" to risk Kin not regaining her tail because they don't completely understand the restoration device. Not that she's willing to advise Kin to avoid it, but that she is willing to make the decision for her.
That Ruby is trying to control Kin's actions doesn't make it mutually exclusive from trying to do the right thing. Ruby is acting on her own experiences with people: they can't be trusted. So she took away WHY Kin trusted Minmax.

Doing what is right doesn't always mean that it is right for everyone.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 am

Hmm... one thing I've also considered with Ruby is, I think she feels entitled to take decisions for the other Kins, because they are her and apparently they are all "lesser" compared to her
-Sapphire is childish innocent
-Onyx is physically weaker
-and "our" kin is unable to see how "dangerous" and "traitorous" humans are.
As the protector of the silkscale clan on the sunset fields, she sees it as her Duty to guide this sadly misguided Kin's...
-Best regards LAYF

questionsparks
Remains Silent

Post by questionsparks » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am

Being sorry isn't enough.

I'll keep reading because I've made mistakes, I've seen relationships struggle. And death, my own younger brother committed suicide a few years ago. But from all those tragedies people learn, they grow they change, they move on and they change. It might make them better as they learn to cope with the sadness or they become bitter and cynical. Life isn't always pretty but it's the lose and the fear of lose that changes and motivates us. I have no problem with every one of these moments of lose, as long as I see character development, and it's not just dropped like it was a pointless little moment for dramatic effect or to pull at peoples heartstrings.

I don't understand why so many people only expect happy endings. Yeah, I like Disney too... but I also like Shakespeare.