Speculation: Forgath's replacement

Discuss the comic here!
Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Speculation: Forgath's replacement

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Thought I'd start this thread to discuss the prospect of Forgath's replacement. Now I am sure that none of us want him to die but the prophesy fairly strongly suggests that he will. It isn't clear when though, and really that isn't the point here. I'm not interested so much in whether or not the prophesy is near to being fulfilled. I'm sure there are arguments to be made in both directions but what I wanted to speculate (wildly, obviously) here is what do you think Forgath's player will choose as her next character when Forgath dies eventually meet his fate.

Personally I think she will stick with a dwarf ... I mean really, a super keen sense of smell and telekinesis - who wouldn't want that :)
Given that they are now generally just a two-person group rather than part of a larger party, and given that the other member of that group is MinMax, she may want to shift away from the more solidly support focused cleric towards something that can front-line a bit more. So I am thinking Paladin. Gives us somewhere else for the AoP to live should Big Ears end up going down the Chief road.

So, ideas anyone? :)
All hail the power of the stick!

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: Speculation: Forgath's replacement

Post by St.Rider » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 am

Hmm... a driud? Gets some neat spells and still able to pack a punch with all the animal companion and shapechange stuff.
That would leave dwarf out (you know... the "tree issue") so I'm guessing human. Maybe halfling or gnome but we've seen neither in this comic so far.

Though if Kore offs Forgath, it might as well be a fighter aspiring to Blackguard. 'Cause, you know, revenge solves everything. :fume:

A side note: do I read this correctly that Forgath is Chaotic Good (based on his celestial badger summon) while Herbert is Lawful(?) Evil (Notwalter being a Pit Fiend and all)?
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:05 am

St.Rider wrote:Hmm... a driud? Gets some neat spells and still able to pack a punch with all the animal companion and shapechange stuff.
That would leave dwarf out (you know... the "tree issue") so I'm guessing human.
Maybe I missed it and it's a Forgath thing, but in D&D 3.x Dwarves can be druids. Maybe not the best druids, but pretty decent.

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:26 am

Xavier78 wrote:
St.Rider wrote:Hmm... a driud? Gets some neat spells and still able to pack a punch with all the animal companion and shapechange stuff.
That would leave dwarf out (you know... the "tree issue") so I'm guessing human.
Maybe I missed it and it's a Forgath thing, but in D&D 3.x Dwarves can be druids. Maybe not the best druids, but pretty decent.
Yeah, I know.
It is a Forgath thing. :-)
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 am

A drow.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

harlequin
Mutters to Themself

Post by harlequin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:13 am

Maybe she'll play a lady goblin?

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

If I were that player I'd tell Herbert, "I want Kin. Let me play Kin." She's well established, well characterized, with very good reason now to rejoin MinMax.

For that matter, this could have been the player's idea. "Herbert, why do I have to be MinMax's dwarf sidekick? I want to roll up a new character, and female this time." And he'd have said, "Okay, but I hate when PCs just switch for no reason. Ruins the story. Let's do this right, with overlap. Be patient, hang in there. We'll give Forgath an awesome exit." For that matter, she could even have been playing Kin all along!

If that's what went down, then she'd have had to have made her request really early in the game, before Young and Beautiful.
► Show Spoiler

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 am

Half Dwarf-Half Drow Summoner with a felinoid Eidelon named Guenhwyvar
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:47 am

I'm guessing Forgath's player would likely create another sensibly educated character. Something good for more than mindlessly hitting stuff. She was after all the one who had to make the sensible decisions, else Minmax's player would have just attacked everything. For some reason I'm leaning towards bard for his bardic knowledge. And I think she may have a desire to drown out minmax's screaming with music.
St.Rider wrote:A side note: do I read this correctly that Forgath is Chaotic Good (based on his celestial badger summon) while Herbert is Lawful(?) Evil (Notwalter being a Pit Fiend and all)?
Herbert could just know Notwalter and other pit fiends names. Likely does since being the DM he probably was the one who named them. The advantages of house rules.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am

Start as a multiple-amputee to reduce possible future trauma and just cut to the chase. ;)

harlequin
Mutters to Themself

Post by harlequin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:28 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:Half Dwarf-Half Drow Summoner with a felinoid Eidelon named Guenhwyvar
I want it to be this, just so you can say 'Called it!'.

Darthwalker
Remains Silent

Post by Darthwalker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:44 pm

I think that a good path could possibly be prepping for the mystic theurge class. Using a human(for extra feats) setting up as a half sorcerer half cleric would be a good way to play a support character that can also hit when it needs to. Would be nice to see an all around support character like that come out of Forgath's next char.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Sessine wrote:If I were that player I'd tell Herbert, "I want Kin. Let me play Kin." She's well established, well characterized, with very good reason now to rejoin MinMax.

For that matter, this could have been the player's idea. "Herbert, why do I have to be MinMax's dwarf sidekick? I want to roll up a new character, and female this time." And he'd have said, "Okay, but I hate when PCs just switch for no reason. Ruins the story. Let's do this right, with overlap. Be patient, hang in there. We'll give Forgath an awesome exit." For that matter, she could even have been playing Kin all along!

If that's what went down, then she'd have had to have made her request really early in the game, before Young and Beautiful.
I like this idea - and may I just say that if Kin is in fact a PC under Forgath's Player's control then they are doing some epic role-playing. And if she is just an NPC then Herbert is a god among DMs :)
All hail the power of the stick!

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:And if she is just an NPC then Herbert is a god among DMs :)
I surmise that Herbert agrees.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Forgath kills Kore with the uber-axe and has an Empire Strikes Back Moment. He turns into Darth Kore eventually.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Xavier78 wrote:Maybe I missed it and it's a Forgath thing, but in D&D 3.x Dwarves can be druids. Maybe not the best druids, but pretty decent.
RedwoodElf wrote:Half Dwarf-Half Drow Summoner with a felinoid Eidelon named Guenhwyvar
There was a dwarf druid character in later Drizzt novels. I think his name was Pikel Bouldershoulder or something similar.
I read that book *once* years ago. My brain is a steel trap for useless trivia.

ETA: Yep, that guy. You forgot 'doo-dad', the name of his class.
Last edited by Gryphonic on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Me brudder! And sha-lala were his favorite phrases. Pikel was one of my favs and he was a dwarf druid.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:48 am

Wolfie wrote:Me brudder! And sha-lala were his favorite phrases. Pikel was one of my favs and he was a dwarf druid.
Yeah I loved Pikel. It's been a very long time since I've read those books.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 am

Unlucky-for-Some wrote:
Sessine wrote:If I were that player I'd tell Herbert, "I want Kin. Let me play Kin." She's well established, well characterized, with very good reason now to rejoin MinMax.

I like this idea - and may I just say that if Kin is in fact a PC under Forgath's Player's control then they are doing some epic role-playing. And if she is just an NPC then Herbert is a god among DMs :)
I like the idea that Forgath's player will switch to Kin. After all, Forgath has always been accepting of her and stopped MinMax from just viewing her as a monster source of XP.

Also, assuming that the drow players are all rolling up new characters again, we might see them rejoin the plot soon. Their last characters were on the Winged Goblin quest before getting killed by GM fiat. It's possible he decided to scrap that quest (now that her wing is torn off by an NPC, are they done with the storyline?), and rather than redirect them, just killed the whole group off so they could start a new one ("No, you know what guys, I don't think this story will work. Nothing's happened yet, let's just scrap them and start over, I've got a better idea.").

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:53 am

Master TMO wrote:
Unlucky-for-Some wrote:

I like the idea that Forgath's player will switch to Kin. After all, Forgath has always been accepting of her and stopped MinMax from just viewing her as a monster source of XP.

Also, assuming that the drow players are all rolling up new characters again, we might see them rejoin the plot soon. Their last characters were on the Winged Goblin quest before getting killed by GM fiat. It's possible he decided to scrap that quest (now that her wing is torn off by an NPC, are they done with the storyline?), and rather than redirect them, just killed the whole group off so they could start a new one ("No, you know what guys, I don't think this story will work. Nothing's happened yet, let's just scrap them and start over, I've got a better idea.").
I thought the players of the Drow, after they got killed a second time, were playing Saves-a-Fox, K'seliss, and Grem...

(Edit) Nope, guess not: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11272012/
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am

RedwoodElf wrote:
Master TMO wrote: I like the idea that Forgath's player will switch to Kin. After all, Forgath has always been accepting of her and stopped MinMax from just viewing her as a monster source of XP.

I thought the players of the Drow, after they got killed a second time, were playing Saves-a-Fox, K'seliss, and Grem...
The drow-placement characters died after K'seliss did. And the short one (halfling archer) recognized Klik, even though the goblins had been adventuring with it for some time in the dungeon and had no problems with it.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:40 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
Master TMO wrote:
Unlucky-for-Some wrote: I like the idea that Forgath's player will switch to Kin. After all, Forgath has always been accepting of her and stopped MinMax from just viewing her as a monster source of XP.

(Edit) Nope, guess not: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11272012/
One theory that has come up (and it's not mine but I don't remember who brought it up first) is that we are looking at two (or more) DnD games with the same players playing different characters on different nights. You can get a lot of speculation out of this theory but it does get tricky to match everyone up.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Right.

And then what are the goblins?

Because if you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, you will get lost.

For instance, they could be REALLY good roleplayers playing goblins who are ignorant of everything a player would know.

Or

They could be living beings in what is thought to be a fantasy world. I mean do we know for sure that Dellyn was not a PC? He never showed up as another character, but if some are PCs and some aren't.....who is real and who is imaginary?

THIS is the singular most fascinating aspect of Goblins to me and I can't wait for THunt to pull back the curtain and show us what is really going on at the end (assuming he does that, which likely he wont, but I still hope anyway)
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)