November 27, 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word.

Discuss the comic here!
TeaLovingDave
Whispers Softly

November 27, 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word.

Post by TeaLovingDave » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:19 pm

(It's "the fact or process of losing something or someone" incidentally)

Nice to see Fumbles getting involved :p

Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11272013/

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

27 November 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Yeah, and he's not looking that happy...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: November 27, 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word

Post by Wolfie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:21 pm

I love the look on Vorpal's face that he actually didn't fumble
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:23 pm

I hate to say this but... I want to see Kore again.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

TeaLovingDave
Whispers Softly

Post by TeaLovingDave » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:24 pm

The delay may be just what Complains needs..... but it is, of course, just what Kore needs too.

Considering the fact it is established that Kore will have a clear line of sight as soon as he has ascended the steps, I suspect it is not going to be long at all before both the GAP and MinGath find themselves under a *lot* of crossbow fire.

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Sleaw » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:24 pm

I wonder of Minmax or Forgath will recognize the scars of torture that have branded 'monster' on Vorpal's forehead. Won't anything click inside of them if they connect this to their relationship with Kin, and the things she has said about what it means to be seen as a monster? If they were to realise Vorpal has been tortured by the same man they killed for torturing Kin, would that be enough to provide some common ground for understanding?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

27 November 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Wolfie wrote:I love the look on Vorpal's face that he actually didn't fumble
Well, where is his crossbow?
And why did he not hit with the pointy end?

Anyway, a pity to see Complains of Names being hit...
Yet, he got in another "lucky", 'coz Minmax does not know when to duck...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Aaaaand Fumbles contributes. What class is good with thrown weapons? Heh.

I figure while Minmax is busy attempting to one-shot Vorpal, Complains will get the best of him. THEN Kore shows up.

EDIT: According to Thunt's Twitter feed, next update will be filler. I personally hope it's another Altsplanation.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:31 pm

This is all the more reason for my prediction to come true, even though I'd be off by a page.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

TeaLovingDave
Whispers Softly

Post by TeaLovingDave » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Considering we can be reasonably sure that he won't pop up again, I'm hoping for a psionic flavoured Altsplanation.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:32 pm

I see the "Monster" carved across Fumbles' head becoming important in a couple of updates.

Complains is also lucky he didn't lose an ear and get partially scalped as well. Ouch.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Sleaw wrote:I wonder of Minmax or Forgath will recognize the scars of torture that have branded 'monster' on Vorpal's forehead. Won't anything click inside of them if they connect this to their relationship with Kin, and the things she has said about what it means to be seen as a monster? If they were to realise Vorpal has been tortured by the same man they killed for torturing Kin, would that be enough to provide some common ground for understanding?
I doubt it I don't think Kin every mentioned any such torture. It certainly draws attention though but I'm not sure anyone will stop to ask about it since Minmax is very angry and Forgath is fighting Thac0 and Big Ears.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

It's funny how Complains seems to... (I'm not sure how to phrase this) look out for Minmax at the start? Telling him to 'get out of here', before Kore comes (I assume).
Unless he meant it in an entirely different way, which is possible!

And is it just me, or did the regenerated scar save Minmax like Forgath's beard did? It looks like the sword didn't manage to get too deep past that scar.

About Minmax/Forgath noticing the scar thing on Fumbles, they'd probably have to be told goblinslayer did it. I don't think there was anywhere in the comic where they are told the 'monsters' were branded, was there? And can Minmax even read? (nevermind, just found a comic where he says he can't. I think it was also mentioned recently in the maze)

By the way, has Minmax stopped crying? Or does that come later with the shading? (also minor issue in panel 6 with the scar being white)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: 27 November 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word

Post by Wolfie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Krulle wrote:
Wolfie wrote:I love the look on Vorpal's face that he actually didn't fumble
Well, where is his crossbow?
And why did he not hit with the pointy end?
Well, he did HIT with it, whether he meant to injure MM or not is up for discussion, but he did HIT. He never had a crossbow, so I'm assuming he picked up the two bolts that fell out of Complains back and tossed the one.

Plus, have you ever tried to hit someone with a crossbow bolt or arrow sans the weapon required to fire it? It's HARD to do... (I've tried). :D
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

MapsGroxily
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MapsGroxily » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:52 pm

NO. NO NO NO DONT YOU DARE HURT FUMBLES MINMAX I WILL *NEVER* FORGIVE YOU. :(

Quild
Whispers Softly

Post by Quild » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 pm

What is loss? Oh baby don't hurt me... No more!

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm predicting that Minmax will see the scars (even if he can't read the word), and say something along the lines of "We've made a terrible mistake", then the groups will band together to defeat Kore, and it will turn out that Chief wasn't all the way dead, and Forgath will be able to use his Dwarven CPR to resuscitate him.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Simon wrote: And is it just me, or did the regenerated scar save Minmax like Forgath's beard did? It looks like the sword didn't manage to get too deep past that scar.
It seems this way - I wonder how much the regenerated scar/beard contribute to the AC of FM...

Product Placement
Whispers Softly

Post by Product Placement » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Sleaw wrote:I wonder of Minmax or Forgath will recognize the scars of torture that have branded 'monster' on Vorpal's forehead. Won't anything click inside of them if they connect this to their relationship with Kin, and the things she has said about what it means to be seen as a monster? If they were to realise Vorpal has been tortured by the same man they killed for torturing Kin, would that be enough to provide some common ground for understanding?
Well, for them to connect that Goblinslayer did that is not gonna happen in the middle of battle. They've never seen Dellyn's handywork, since Kin is the only torture victim that they know and he never cut her up like that.

Not that I'm saying that it's impossible for them to find out but it's gonna require a downtime, where either Forgath or MM gets a chance to ask what happened to Fumbles. That could possibly happen if both parties agree to cease hostilities, long enough to run from the crazy dwarf that's raining down on them a hail of crossbow fire.

On that note, I've wondered a long time how this encounter would go down between Forgath/MM vs GAP vs Kore. The way I see it, the next few turns depend heavily on Kore's reaction, when he sees the two groups fighting each other on the bridge.

The way that moment can play out is that he either storms down the bridge and joins Forgath/MM in mopping up the Goblins or he pops up shooting like crazy, not realizing other people are on the bridge. In the later case, Forgath/MM are probably gonna be convinced to run with the Goblins into shelter, which would likely brand them as Monster sympathizers within Kore's vision of black and white morals.

Just my two cents.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Thunt forgot to color in Oblivious there in panel 6.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Corronchilejano
Remains Silent

Post by Corronchilejano » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Liesmith wrote:I'm predicting that Minmax will see the scars (even if he can't read the word), and say something along the lines of "We've made a terrible mistake", then the groups will band together to defeat Kore, and it will turn out that Chief wasn't all the way dead, and Forgath will be able to use his Dwarven CPR to resuscitate him.
... where's the fun in that? Even if it was possible, Goblins teaches us to love and lose inmediately, and with great prejudice.

Kore kills half the goblins (the useful ones, Ears and Thaco) and Forgath and the rest throw him under the bridge (literally). They now proceed to enter another dungeon crawl and exit Herbert knows where. Kin meanwhile teleports in front of the dungeon crawl and is ambushed by Kore, who kills her. Minmax now knows she's dead and who did it, so after exiting yet another dungeon crawl, he decides not to be stupid and prepare to battle Kore.

And I could go on but I think there's four more years of story right there.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:49 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:Thunt forgot to color in Oblivious there in panel 6.
You do know the first pass is usually not the final form, right?
Liesmith wrote:say something along the lines of "We've made a terrible mistake",
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Now - if they both survive - they can relate to each other even more. Two stubborn, rash barbarians who have lost the ones they cared about. They are more alike than they will ever admit to be.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Ironwulf
Remains Silent

Post by Ironwulf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:09 pm

One way this can play out is Kore going the "kill them all and let the gods sort it out" route. FM enters the dungeon crawl and goes left, the GAP goes right and Kore goes after them. They could have a three-way fight, FM hunting the GAP, the GAP trying to lure FM into a fight with Kore, and Kore trying to kill both groups. Or Fumbles one-shot's Kore (with how easy GS and SC went down, anything is possible).

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:30 pm

All right here's my guess of what would happen next : kore kill forgath (because of the prediction from the talking wall) , and then minimax feel forced to join the goblins.