November 27, 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word.

Discuss the comic here!
Nerre
Game Master

Re: November 27, 2013: Loss, and the definition of said word

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:33 am

Maybe he did it offpanel before he threw the bolt. :)
If I would be his GM, I would have granted him some XP for all the roleplaying while being trapped. Who knows, maybe he is already level 6 now = 1 full level of each class. After all he was in the large battle in the city when they escaped, even if it was mostly passive and being dragged along by the others.
:zzz:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:54 am

AntMac wrote:Have you ever tried an atlatl?. It is the most astonishing thing, the difference in speed is quite frightening, it looks so dangerous, the spear zonking off into the distance.
Alas, no.
In Europe, the Maori tools and skills are rather unknown.
After the posting of this I'll shuffle over to SomeSearchEngine(R) to find pages to read up on it.

Edit: Didn't know the term, but I know the group of devices.... Indeed, they are remarkable in efficiency. Although I've never seen one being used, outside of youtube videos.
It might well be, that these things are considered to dangerous in Europe and maybe even forbidden in some states. I know that they are not allowed to be used during hunting.
Tofu wrote:Quick Fumbles - declare your dodge !
HAHAHAHAHA! Dang, why didn't I think of the most memorable remark in this thread?
Slap!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:43 am

Krulle wrote:
AntMac wrote:Have you ever tried an atlatl?. It is the most astonishing thing, the difference in speed is quite frightening, it looks so dangerous, the spear zonking off into the distance.
Alas, no.
In Europe, the Maori tools and skills are rather unknown.
After the posting of this I'll shuffle over to SomeSearchEngine(R) to find pages to read up on it.

Edit: Didn't know the term, but I know the group of devices.... Indeed, they are remarkable in efficiency. Although I've never seen one being used, outside of youtube videos.
It might well be, that these things are considered to dangerous in Europe and maybe even forbidden in some states. I know that they are not allowed to be used during hunting.
I was just going to say, atlatl is not Maori specific ;) Europeans used them as well, although mostly with javelin throwing. It is just that Europeans stopped throwing javelins and spears a lot longer ago than Maori's. Guns are after all much more efficient ranged weapons ;)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:59 am

Do you know that feeling? You write a post, and then it totally gets ignored cause somebody changes the topic and most people do not read more than the last few posts. :P
How about putting your topic in another thread, for examples in the discussion forum. "Tribal weapon discussion" for example. :lol:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:47 am

I read your post, and while I found the theories consistent with what we know, its not new and has already been discussed. I saw no need to comment on them,even after you specifically asked for comments.

And that was the end of the discussion for me anyway. Throwing spears is more efficient than throwing arrows.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:03 am

Nerre wrote:Do you know that feeling? You write a post, and then it totally gets ignored cause somebody changes the topic and most people do not read more than the last few posts. :P
How about putting your topic in another thread, for examples in the discussion forum. "Tribal weapon discussion" for example. :lol:
Do you mean
Who knows, maybe he is already level 6 now = 1 full level of each class.
?
Well, he'd have to be level 11 to get a full level of each class. And I find that... unlikely.
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:38 am

Oh, I was thinking maybe in a old ruleset, still playing in 2.0. I just did not get 11 classes when counting in my head. 11 Classes? I thought it were only around 6, which is why I wrote 6. Sorry. Yes, 11 is far to high.

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:31 am

Nerre wrote:Oh, I was thinking maybe in a old ruleset, still playing in 2.0. I just did not get 11 classes when counting in my head. 11 Classes? I thought it were only around 6, which is why I wrote 6. Sorry. Yes, 11 is far to high.
Druid, Fighter, wizard, rogue, sorcerer, bard, monk, cleric, paladin and ranger are the basic classes I can remember. That would be 10. Which basic class am I missing? You could of course add a lot of additional classes that have been released: artificer, psion, psychic warriors, mind blade, and a lot of others... in other words even that number 11 is not complete ;)

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:39 am

Barbarian. There's some alignment problems but they're small in comparison to leveling eleven classes at once. :)

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 am

Madfox11 wrote: I was just going to say, atlatl is not Maori specific ;) Europeans used them as well, although mostly with javelin throwing. It is just that Europeans stopped throwing javelins and spears a lot longer ago than Maori's. Guns are after all much more efficient ranged weapons ;)
So is a crossbow, which came much earlier than guns. And the Longbow. And the Shortbow. And slings, come to think of it. Throwing a spear is the final resort because...this. (What Kin says in the first panel, not the rest of the page)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:30 am

Nerre wrote:Oh, I was thinking maybe in a old ruleset, still playing in 2.0. I just did not get 11 classes when counting in my head. 11 Classes? I thought it were only around 6, which is why I wrote 6. Sorry. Yes, 11 is far to high.
Bah! You kids and all your "classes". In *my* day, we had fighter, magic-user, cleric, and thief. And we liked it! ;)
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Madfox11 wrote:
I was just going to say, atlatl is not Maori specific ;) Europeans used them as well, although mostly with javelin throwing. It is just that Europeans stopped throwing javelins and spears a lot longer ago than Maori's. Guns are after all much more efficient ranged weapons ;)
Oh, no, I didn't use the Maori term, any more than I would say Rongoaa to you when I was referring to medicine. Aside from anything else, Maori has so many synonyms it is crazy, the reason to choose one rather than another is lost in the past now, I feel. The only Maori words it would be appropriate to use in English are the loan ones, like Tapu and Mana and names maybe?.

And yeah, your point about the guns is exactly why we don't got no old examples of the various spear throwers or, say, training manuals transcribed as matters of interest from our past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket_Wars

All them old fellas that were dab hands at position defence with the spear throwing whips?. They got ate, and their spear thrower rotted in the grass, the skill they were going to pass onto their children?. Never did, cause all the kiddies got ate too.
Maybe a lifetime later people said "Oh, we used to throw spears with whips, well, not spears, darts really" and someone asked them to show them. This person would have been a child while the wars went on, without the actual experience of more than a child's training, so we don't know all the special techniques any ability holds for its true exponents.

The atlatl I used as an adult wasn't a Maori one anyway, it was an Australian one. And, (re comic ) its real strength is the staggering length of the spear it throws, at least seven feet of thin spear. That allows the inertia of the length of the spear to help keep it flying straight, which a short crossbow bolt, thrown by hand, would be the opposite of, imeo.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:28 pm

AntMac wrote:
HAHAHAHA, plus one, well done, you certainly win this internet.
No. I did.
BuildsLegos wrote:This is all the more reason for my prediction to come true, even though I'd be off by a page.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Nerre wrote:Do you know that feeling? You write a post, and then it totally gets ignored cause somebody changes the topic and most people do not read more than the last few posts. :P
Or worse, when someone repeats what you said and only they get credit.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:16 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
Or worse, when someone repeats what you said and only they get credit.
Well, dude, I have to guess he, like I, probably didn't click on your link. I saw your post, but I didn't get around to clicking on the link, people have so many links in their screens sometimes that one gets reluctant to go down the rabbit holes. However, fair go, your post made the joke first. There, honour satisfied, credit disbursed. ;)

And I guess I am guilty of drawing a deep bow ( groan ) by talking about atlatls though it seemed a natural digression to talk about what I know of throwing things like darts or bolts. I read your posts for entertainment sake you know, and thought the discussion was entertaining. :| :P

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:48 am

BuildsLegos wrote:
AntMac wrote:
HAHAHAHA, plus one, well done, you certainly win this internet.
No. I did.
BuildsLegos wrote:This is all the more reason for my prediction to come true, even though I'd be off by a page.
You did too. :) well thunk sir! Do you want your internetz in chocolate or vanilla?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:07 am

Well if you put it like that, wouldn't it be poisonous, or do you filter it? And what has Big Ears been doing for the past page and a half?

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:20 am

I don't know Mr BuildsLegos, i presumed the small prize i received would be easily freshened up with the addition of flavors, chocolate is popular, and that it's easily able to be enjoyed. Am happy to share ;0 I am fairly sure that the internet is, in itself, poisonous and death by over-indulgence will eventually happen to us all ... eat up, we all will die hunched over our screen no matter what we do.

On another note, relating to the web comic - hasn't the color scheme and finished appearance of the characters gotten really really good lately! The page fairly sings with color, history and meaningful activity. While MinMax and Complains have been apart for only a few weeks game-world time, they have had massive development of their own characters and experiences.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:27 am

Yes! I said it a page or two ago and it's even more true now - I love watching the art develop from flat coloring to fully shaded and with backgrounds. This page and http://www.goblinscomic.org/11062013/ are perhaps my favorites off hand. Bravo THunt!
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

wertsir
Remains Silent

Post by wertsir » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:39 am

It just occurred to me that kore is going to be killed by forgath using Minmax's axe of racism.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:49 am

You know what, you keep thinking that. Yesssssss...

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:19 am

Tofu wrote:I don't know Mr BuildsLegos, i presumed the small prize i received would be easily freshened up with the addition of flavors, chocolate is popular, and that it's easily able to be enjoyed. Am happy to share ;0 I am fairly sure that the internet is, in itself, poisonous and death by over-indulgence will eventually happen to us all ... eat up, we all will die hunched over our screen no matter what we do.
Oii !. I comes 'ere for entertainments in communal-diary form, not dire intimations of mortality, I thanks thee. If I want to contemplate my accumulated interweb poisoning, Mr Gates has kindly given me an app for that. :lol:

Gryphonic wrote:Yes! I said it a page or two ago and it's even more true now - I love watching the art develop from flat coloring to fully shaded and with backgrounds. This page and http://www.goblinscomic.org/11062013/ are perhaps my favorites off hand. Bravo THunt!
I second your bravo. Now, if only we could expedite production somehow . . . :D

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Never underestimate the power of seeds of evil to corrupt others.

For example:

Complains puts on belt of gender change.

Minmax: Wow! If I could find one non monster thing about you I wouldn't have to kill you. Do you want a birthday present?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:02 pm

As a paladin, Kore is supposed to see the good & evil in all beings, but can he see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch or how the fact that Minmax falls in love with only smart & pretty girls?

(I'm trying to joke that Complains of Girly Names wouldn't be his type.)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Depending on how Kore defines Evil, he may go against Minmax because MM's motivation is revenge, a morally 'impure' reason to adventure (hint: there is only one adventurer who has a pure reason; his name begins with a 'K' and ends with 'mineral-containing rock').