17 Dec 2013 - "Brother!"

Discuss the comic here!
Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Re: 17 Dec 2013 - "Brother!"

Post by Zathyr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Normally in 3.0 D&D a tower shield grants a varying amount of cover depending on how much you peek out from behind it, up to total cover if you stay hidden behind your little wall. You generally can't attack someone with total cover relative to you. Other degrees of cover grant an AC bonus.

Kore's setup is pretty unique, but by 3.0 rules I'd call that 9/10ths cover, akin to standing behind an arrow slit, which is a +10 to AC.

Even total cover from a tower shield won't prevent a spellcaster from targeting you with a spell, but paladins typically have high saving throws. If Forgath happens to have any no-save spells prepped, those would likely be his best weapon, but such spells are few in number.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Just putting this here cuz I am not sure where else to put it.

I wish there was someplace I could make a real money bet on somebody complaining about the next comic not being up on time. Not that it is Christmas or anything.

Who am I kidding. The odds would be like 50:1 for it happening.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 am

Zathyr wrote:Normally in 3.0 D&D a tower shield grants a varying amount of cover depending on how much you peek out from behind it, up to total cover if you stay hidden behind your little wall. You generally can't attack someone with total cover relative to you. Other degrees of cover grant an AC bonus.

Kore's setup is pretty unique, but by 3.0 rules I'd call that 9/10ths cover, akin to standing behind an arrow slit, which is a +10 to AC.

Even total cover from a tower shield won't prevent a spellcaster from targeting you with a spell, but paladins typically have high saving throws. If Forgath happens to have any no-save spells prepped, those would likely be his best weapon, but such spells are few in number.
Since he's going to be going for distraction rather than victory I think odds are a lot of summon monster 1, stat buffs (bear's endurance maybe?), and converting spells to heals (Or can 3.0 clerics not do that?). Basically anything to keep the fight going. He believes, true or not, that Kore can't be beaten in a straight up fight, his wisdom is high enough he won't try.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:38 am

SGTdude wrote:Just putting this here cuz I am not sure where else to put it.

I wish there was someplace I could make a real money bet on somebody complaining about the next comic not being up on time. Not that it is Christmas or anything.

You could, it's just that nobody on this forum would take it.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:10 am

SGTdude wrote:Just putting this here cuz I am not sure where else to put it.

Well, as a Christmas "gift", we could start complaining about THunt not taking a rest! He deserves one.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:33 am

I know right?
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Restomak
Mutters to Themself

Post by Restomak » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 pm

I forget; can he manually add time to the counter? He should add five days to give himself some rest (if that is what he wants).

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 pm

vonpenguin wrote:Dies horribly: Has died horribly (He goot better)
Plus, he's horrible at dying. Every time he should die, something totally unexpected happens so that either he doesn't die in the first place or he gets better afterward.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:30 pm

vonpenguin wrote:Since he's going to be going for distraction rather than victory I think odds are a lot of summon monster 1, stat buffs (bear's endurance maybe?), and converting spells to heals (Or can 3.0 clerics not do that?). Basically anything to keep the fight going. He believes, true or not, that Kore can't be beaten in a straight up fight, his wisdom is high enough he won't try.
Good Clerics who don't have the Evil descriptor attached to their race (undead, creatures from evil planes, etc) can convert any spell to a Cure xxx Wounds (xxx depending on the spell level).

(Oh, and no I am not being redundant there. Succubi are from one of the nether planes, inherently Evil, but TSR-published material included a Succubus Paladin - who was very much Lawful Good. Detect Evil and Detect Good would both ping on her.)

Evil Clerics, and those with the Evil descriptor attached to their race, can convert any spell to an Inflict xxx Wounds.

(And the spells work in reverse on many races with the Evil descriptor.)
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:40 am

warrl wrote:
Plus, he's horrible at dying. Every time he should die, something totally unexpected happens so that either he doesn't die in the first place or he gets better afterward.
Thunt's said a couple of times that that's not it - Dies will(or has) die(d), and it was/will be horrible.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:42 am

I've just noticed now that there are two key holes. One is on the puzzle (which I thought was the real one) and one behind the goblins (which is probably the real one).

I don't know how I never realised this.

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Glemp wrote:
warrl wrote:
Thunt's said a couple of times that that's not it - Dies will(or has) die(d), and it was/will be horrible.
The -10 above his head when the demons took him was rather clear, and from the screaming, yeah it was pretty horrible. Fate achieved I'd say.

Thank Maglbyt he lives in a world where death is cheap.

Unless it's a habit like "Complains of names" and he's going to being dieing horribly and getting resurrected more times than Rory Williams.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:01 pm

And I'd say it's fairly plausible that he achieved his fate there. After all Saves a Fox has already completed her name prophecy and life goes on, granted the subject matter is a bit different.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 pm

warrl wrote:
This was my theory too. Problem: THunt personally dismissed this theory.
Yet, it remains my interpretation of the seers naming too...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by currently_awake » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:51 pm

[quote="Gryphonic"]Thaco: "Very cute, you two. Now help us get this stupid door open before we're all shot to death!"
Wait, was he actually yelling for Minmax and Forgath to help? He's looking backward, but he's the rearmost of the GAP.

It looks like you slide the tiles around until the key is under the tree tile and the key pops out for your use.
Will probably find the tree tile doesn't move, so you have to move the key.
Of course the key tile is too high for the goblins, and minmax is too stupid to figure it out-
so clearly they all have to work together while Forgath blocks Kore.