22 December 2013 - "Shut up"

Discuss the comic here!
ThroughTheWell

Re: 22 December 2013 - "Shut up"

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:22 pm

I'll 3rd or 4th people saying THunt can and should take a week off for Christmas and family.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Maybe the tile puzzle isnt just put the key under the tree. Maybe you have to incorporate all the elements from it in the right order. Like you have to get the hand, the key, the door, the keyhole and the tree all lined up in the right order somehow.

But then what does a wrong answer do? Nothing? Does it matter cuz they aren't going to enter the dungeon anyways? Or will they enter the dungeon and have the door shut behind them trapping Kore outside?

Im not sure but I am looking forward to seeing it.

EDIT: Yeah. Nevermind. I just now saw the keyhole behind the goblins. So probably you just put the key under the tree and then the key will be behind it so you can unlock the door. Or not. Also I am wondering if the line with circles around it is just for design or is part of the actual puzzle.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:30 pm

A shame none of them have any skill at lockpicking. The keyhole is Right. There. :roll:

Yes, I know that key probably is magical, and the lock can't be forced by mundane means. But it would be funny.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:22 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Liesmith wrote:I also like how there's actually very legitimate reasons for Forgath to be the one to fight Kore:
I was going to say Big Ears is the better choice, since he can lure Kore away with the Axe. Maybe throw the axe off the bridge? Kore'd go after it for sure.
The downside to that plan is that Kore would go after the Axe...and he'd get it. Ears would never let Kore get the Axe, because that would undoubtedly lead to the demon being released: Kore commits horrendous evil consistently...probably the only worse person to whom you could give the Axe would be Goblinslayer.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 am

Liesmith wrote:
Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Liesmith wrote:I also like how there's actually very legitimate reasons for Forgath to be the one to fight Kore:
I was going to say Big Ears is the better choice, since he can lure Kore away with the Axe. Maybe throw the axe off the bridge? Kore'd go after it for sure.
The downside to that plan is that Kore would go after the Axe...and he'd get it. Ears would never let Kore get the Axe, because that would undoubtedly lead to the demon being released: Kore commits horrendous evil consistently...probably the only worse person to whom you could give the Axe would be Goblinslayer.
I wouldn't say that, For all the Evil Kore does he still does kill legitimate evils and presumably does some good. His beliefs are twisted and insane but a zero tolerance policy will result in some actual good even if it's mostly bad. He'd probably release the demon about as fast a a thieves guild legbreaker. Still not something we want but, you know, relatively...

But even without the dangers of Kore getting the Axe, Ears is still a bad choice, he's wounded, more than Forgath at least, has far less spells, worse armor (Magical plate vs normal plate + the hammace+ the ring+ the beard) and no weapons that can hurt a paladin. Even without the Racist Axe Forgath can survive the longest and still have a chance of escaping alive.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:35 am

vonpenguin wrote: I wouldn't say that, For all the Evil Kore does he still does kill legitimate evils and presumably does some good. His beliefs are twisted and insane but a zero tolerance policy will result in some actual good even if it's mostly bad. He'd probably release the demon about as fast a a thieves guild legbreaker. Still not something we want but, you know, relatively...
Keep in mind that any good Kore does is strictly a "broken clock" situation. He has been shown to kill everyone he interacts with, including children. Even someone hired by the thieves guild isn't that evil, because they have limits. Kore will torture a helpless good-aligned enemy to death, just to force them to betray their comrades with their dying breath. For the GAP, this is one of most horrible days they've ever experienced.

For Kore, it's Tuesday.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:42 am

I think Kin will come back to help FM. Kore will kill Kin...fulfilling the Love fuels Hate prophecy which leads Minmax to kill Kore.

Yeah I know I haven't said anything about the other parts of the prophecy...but I got nothing.

Oh and super wild off the chart guess. Forgarth is secretly a female dwarf. *She* dies years later, giving birth.

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:56 am

Jon Snow wrote: and super wild off the chart guess. Forgarth is secretly a female dwarf. *She* dies years later, giving birth.
No.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:38 am

What's the rim of dots that surrounds the gate??? Are they holes?

If they're holes... I predict that they'll close up trapping Forgath outside :(
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

arpfaust
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by arpfaust » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:05 am

If Kore were to get the axe and he uses it for a while he would obviously realize the axe starts emitting an evil aura.
This might lead just be the moral compass he needs and maybe he will start rethinking his ways.

ReynGoldfur
Remains Silent

Post by ReynGoldfur » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:08 am

Love the comic, and the page, and how well all this is tying together from earlier plot points.

Really really don't love the primary coloured panels though. Really stands out in a not-good way from the rest of the page. :(

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am

You know is Forgath even proficient with the racist axe? Clerics only use simple weapons and all axes are martial. That would really hurt his chances.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 am

lingrem wrote:What's the rim of dots that surrounds the gate??? Are they holes?

If they're holes... I predict that they'll close up trapping Forgath outside :(
Goddamnit! Of course this would be how an author like Thunt would stop Kore from following the GAP and MM into the Dragon's Maw - he'd have MM witness Kore tearing Forgath apart, helpless to do anything. That gives both parties a common enemy, and gives MM a new nemesis to focus on in lieu of Complains.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 am

It looks less like holes to me than it does some kind of line from which a magic barrier would be put up. They are on the floor in front of the bars and also above them.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:11 am

SGTdude wrote:It looks less like holes to me than it does some kind of line from which a magic barrier would be put up. They are on the floor in front of the bars and also above them.
That's what I assume Lingrem meant - a set of bars rising up to seal in the adventurers, which would also stop too many from coming in at once and overbalancing the crawl in their favour.

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:19 am

Foregath could just do the puzzle. Kore's bolts won't penetrate his armor. No need to hold Kore off. The puzzle looks simple enough.

Dustin_S
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dustin_S » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:37 am

if the tree *can't* be moved, the quickest solution i could come up with is to move the blank square:

up, up, left, down, right, down, left, up, right, down, down, left, left, up, right. 15 moves.

And Forgath dying in childbirth does seem like the odd little red herring thunt might throw at us. Do we have any proof that Forgath is a guy? Minmax has referred to him as such with insults like "gay" and the like, but let's face it- Minmax is pretty ignorant. The beard could be all the...well, all the beard that forgath needs to convince MM of his masculinity.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:40 am

Liquidmark, WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY?!
BuildsLegos wrote:The ring is +4 against missiles, not +infinite. Besides, Forgath needs to face Kore so that his beard adds to the defense and he'll need to be ready to cast defensive spells at just the right moment.
As for Forgath's gender, you can tell he's a man by the bushiness of his beard. Female dwarves have silk-like beards and dammit, if I hear one more "ew" about bearded women, I will stab a testicle.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:45 am

Whew.

I thought we were going to get through commentary on this strip with no drama for a sec there

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:09 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Liquidmark, WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY?!
BuildsLegos wrote:The ring is +4 against missiles, not +infinite. Besides, Forgath needs to face Kore so that his beard adds to the defense and he'll need to be ready to cast defensive spells at just the right moment.
As for Forgath's gender, you can tell he's a man by the bushiness of his beard. Female dwarves have silk-like beards and dammit, if I hear one more "ew" about bearded women, I will stab a testicle.

Ew. bearded women. *vanishes into the night like the ninja he is* :ninja:

You can't stab me if you can't see me.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:14 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Liquidmark, WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY?!
I said to use forgath because his *armor* would deflect the bolts. Yes, he has the ring, but he is also covered head to toe in armor (that protects his body, neck and head) and has that gauntlet that further augments his defense. He's basically a cleric tank at this point. He would stand a much better chance against those bolts than anyone else would. Not to mention that the bolts deflected off of Minmax's armor too (Granted, we don't know what's up with his armor or what kind of protection it gives) and we've only actually seen them used to kill un-armored opponents and penetrate a wooden table. Also, Kore doesn't have an unlimited supply of bolts. Seems like he has enough for two or three volleys before he has to retrieve them. It would be different if the bolts embedded themselves in his armor or there were visible degradation after his armor is hit, but they just deflected off of his armor without leaving an apparent scratch.

Also, I was saying to have Forgath solve the puzzle as Kore doesn't seem to move very quickly. I'm not saying that he should take Kore head-on to hold him off.

Another idea is to have forgath act as a shield and stand between the person solving the puzzle and Kore while doing his best to defend. Have Ears between forgath and the person solving the puzzle to heal Forgath while he takes volleys of bolts. Have the smartest person there solve the puzzle. Most likely Complains' father since Forgath is acting as a shield.
SamWiser wrote:Ew. bearded women. *vanishes into the night like the ninja he is* :ninja:

You can't stab me if you can't see me.
I think we've seen what Dwarf women looked like. They seem to have a little facial hair under their chins.
Last edited by Liquidmark on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:16 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:I'll 3rd or 4th people saying THunt can and should take a week off for Christmas and family.
Me too, and I WOULD, with the full spectrum of enthusiasm, except for that whole thing where we are not supposed to mention our "restrictive" social celebrations for fear of offending our friends. [/jk]

:P
I looked for a thread of Seasons Greetings in the community board . . . We not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" ? Or even Happy Holidays?. What about "Hope you make out like a Robber Baron today, folks" ?. Is that sufficiently inclusive to be allowed?.

Have a happy day with my good will, my Electronic Arguing Partners ! :lol:

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:18 pm

AntMac wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:I'll 3rd or 4th people saying THunt can and should take a week off for Christmas and family.
Me too, and I WOULD, with the full spectrum of enthusiasm, except for that whole thing where we are not supposed to mention our "restrictive" social celebrations for fear of offending our friends. [/jk]

:P
I looked for a thread of Seasons Greetings in the community board . . . We not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" ? Or even Happy Holidays?. What about "Hope you make out like a Robber Baron today, folks" ?. Is that sufficiently inclusive to be allowed?.

Have a happy day with my good will, my Electronic Arguing Partners ! :lol:
SO I can't invite people to my festivus celebration? And I pulled the aluminum pole out of the storage shed and everything...

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:30 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Female dwarves have silk-like beards and dammit, if I hear one more "ew" about bearded women, I will stab a testicle.

:D So, wait, let me see if my first thoughts were any good.

I am all the way away over the sea from you, so, out of reach probably. I have a funny sense of humour. . . you're saying I get to have you give some random, passing bloke, a surprise hairy kidney ventilation for Xmas, just by saying "Ew" ?.

I am trying to see the bad side to this . . . hey, if I say "Ew, YUCKY", will you add something for me, just kinda like a punch(ture) line for me?.
"The Kiwi says Merry Xmas", would do maybe?.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Liquidmark wrote:I said to use forgath because his *armor* would deflect the bolts. Yes, he has the ring, but he is also covered head to toe in armor (that protects his body, neck and head) and has that gauntlet that further augments his defense. He's basically a cleric tank at this point. He would stand a much better chance against those bolts than anyone else would. Not to mention that the bolts deflected off of Minmax's armor too (Granted, we don't know what's up with his armor or what kind of protection it gives) and we've only actually seen them used to kill un-armored opponents and penetrate a wooden table. Also, Kore doesn't have an unlimited supply of bolts. Seems like he has enough for two or three volleys before he has to retrieve them. It would be different if the bolts embedded themselves in his armor or there were visible degradation after his armor is hit, but they just deflected off of his armor without leaving an apparent scratch.

Also, I was saying to have Forgath solve the puzzle as Kore doesn't seem to move very quickly. I'm not saying that he should take Kore head-on to hold him off.

Another idea is to have forgath act as a shield and stand between the person solving the puzzle and Kore while doing his best to defend. Have Ears between forgath and the person solving the puzzle to heal Forgath while he takes volleys of bolts. Have the smartest person there solve the puzzle. Most likely Complains' father since Forgath is acting as a shield.
Forgath's armor sucks, as hinted by the fact that he's worn it since level-1. Minmax's armor, on the other hand, has already deflected a bolt or 2 without even a scratch and Forgath even said when they first found it that the rainbow armor is, and I quote, "amazing". But Minmax is busy holding the gate open and might not have the stats to do that and move around at the same time, I think he's already stuck in a safe spot. What I keep having to explain to you people is that, between his beard and spells, Forgath needs to FACE KORE DIRECTLY and NOT BE THE ONE TO SOLVE THE PUZZLE. Do you have that through your skull yet?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.