1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Discuss the comic here!
spiderwrangler
Game Master

1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Forgath is facing his fate.... :(

I rather like the perspective in the last panel...

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GoesDownThatPit
Remains Silent

Re: 1 Jan 2014 --- Hope goblins are good at puzzles...

Post by GoesDownThatPit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:54 pm

The last panel is just epic, hands down.

Also, this update got me right in the feels. Ouch.

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:57 pm

I still believe Forgath won't die here but I am still worried like heck!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Forgath looks like he's good at hugs... I hope he makes it back.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Thunts twitter wrote: Today's update will be on time.
NO! :x :x

Thunt.... ! NO! Bad thunt bad...! This is not on time...

its NOT ON TIME...

delay it... delay it Thunt you hear me :x :fume:

DON'T You do it! :becry:

Don't.... don't kill Forgath....

please... this is not on time.... no!!!! please...

:puppy:

Tears of Fear and Rage aside....
great update... the feels man... then feels...
-Best regards LAYF

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

1 Jan, 2014 - Don't Die!

Post by sunphoenix » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Awe hell.. I think I'm going to go cry again!

Damn you Thunt! Damn you the writer's hell!
Last edited by LAYF on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with first Topic
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Is that +7 enough to give Forgath a reasonable chance to make a called shot to Kore's neck or eye slit?

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 pm

The solution is simple enough, 8 moves total:
1: Key and Star Down.
2: Eye and Ring Right.
3: Tree and belt up.
4: Mountain Left.
5: Ring and hand down.
6: Tree Right.
7: Belt Up.
8: Ring and Key Left.

You only need to touch the tiles surrounding the Hand tile at all.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Forgath's a cleric, and they're not the greatest at combat though they can absorb fair amounts of punishment. A few good whacks with the axe and Kore will go screaming for his mommy... but it's getting through that armor that's going to be the problem.

I think one hit with it and Kore will switch tactics, luring him away or even into an ambush, or flat out knocking Forgath off the bridge.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Post by notimportant » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Forgath shatters the bridge with his Hammace hand, sending Kore plummeting down. However, Kore grabs hold of Forgath's indestructable beard, dragging him down with him. Forgath gets one last word in ("Fly, you fools!") while the GAP and Minmax flee into the dungeon.

Zephirus
Remains Silent

Post by Zephirus » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:24 pm

I do not like where this is going at all. Fighting on a narrow bridge over a deep ravine, is not where I would want to be. We know Forgath's death is a horrible one. Laying broken and slowly dying at the bottom of that ravine would certainly qualify.

devilsblight
Remains Silent

Post by devilsblight » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I thought the racist axe is only +1 against the same race, which Kore is to Forgath... so is Forgath going in with a +1 weapon when he thinks it's +7... this scene really makes me think Thunt is about to kill Forgath

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:28 pm

devilsblight wrote:I thought the racist axe is only +1 against the same race, which Kore is to Forgath... so is Forgath going in with a +1 weapon when he thinks it's +7... this scene really makes me think Thunt is about to kill Forgath
You've got it backwards... it's +7 against the same race as the wielder, +1 against other races.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:30 pm

devilsblight wrote:I thought the racist axe is only +1 against the same race, which Kore is to Forgath... so is Forgath going in with a +1 weapon when he thinks it's +7... this scene really makes me think Thunt is about to kill Forgath
Other way around...it's +7 against members of the same race as the wielder, and +1 otherwise (Thus all the jokes about it being a "+7 Axe of Kinslaying") If it was +7 against non-same races and +1 against the same race, it would be insanely overpowered.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

devilsblight
Remains Silent

Post by devilsblight » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm

oh, oh thank god, thank you, i have hope in that case!

Kitty Hamilton
Remains Silent

Post by Kitty Hamilton » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:44 pm

I can't deal with this. Oh my gaaawd.

*gross sobbing*

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:47 pm

I wonder what the goblins are thinking/saying/doing (as we can't see them). I wonder if they're shocked Forgath is doing this or not.
Also Kore does seem to be taller than Forgath. I'm sure someone was talking about his height a few topics ago.
notimportant wrote:Forgath shatters the bridge with his Hammace hand, sending Kore plummeting down. However, Kore grabs hold of Forgath's indestructable beard, dragging him down with him. Forgath gets one last word in ("Fly, you fools!") while the GAP and Minmax flee into the dungeon.
:) I had to laugh

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Somehow, Devilsblight, I suspect your confusion is from the inaccurate name "Racist Axe", which would fit if your misunderstanding was correct. Minmax called it that because, as an idiotic racist, he has no idea what racism is.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Goodbye, Forgath. You will be missed.

Unless, of course, you're suddenly saved by teleporting Kin. That would be awesome.

But, man, Kore looks huge for a dwarf. Does his armor come with platform boots and lots of padding?

It is cool how quickly Forgath decided to work with the GAP. Says a lot, actually. They may (as far as he knows) be working on an evil plot to take over the world, but Kore just puts things in perspective. Deal with imminent doom now. Worry about long term plots later.

Can't wait for the next page. The fight. The GAP's reactions. Possibly other things.

Oh, and congrats to Thunt! Fully shaded page, ready on time! Now that's a good start to the year!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

kohlerikson
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kohlerikson » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:02 pm

While I would love a HD render of that last panel to use as the desktop for my work PC, I don't know if I'm ready for these next few updates. This is probably going to hurt a lot, but we can always hope that Forgath's fate is far off in the future and that this is only a close call.

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:16 pm

notimportant wrote:Forgath shatters the bridge with his Hammace hand, sending Kore plummeting down. However, Kore grabs hold of Forgath's indestructable beard, dragging him down with him. Forgath gets one last word in ("Fly, you fools!") while the GAP and Minmax flee into the dungeon.
Brilliant!

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Assuming Kore is a 20th level paladin, he has a +20 base attack bonus and up to four attacks per round (at +15, +10, and +5). Assuming 17 strength he has a +3 strength modifier. Assuming his weapons are normal hand axes, he'll have +23 to hit and d6+3 damage on his first attack, and he'll be fighting double-handed with multiple attacks. I'm not sure what Forgath's armor is, but if it's half-plate, Kore will be attacking an armor bonus of 7, plus whatever bonus Forgath gets for the Hammace. I doubt it matters: at +23 or thereabouts, a hit will be close to automatic.

As a 3rd level cleric, Forgath has a +2 attack bonus, +7 for the racist axe, plus whatever he gets for strength (I'll assume +1), and one attack per round. Treating the racist axe as a battle-axe, Forgath will do d8+7+strength modifier. Even a good his will do maybe 15 to 16 points of damage, which Kore will most likely shrug off. And Kore is wearing full plate armor for a bonus of 8.

Forgath might try to use clerical spells to boost his bonuses and defenses a bit, but Kore has more clerical spells (and at a higher level) than Forgath. Even if Forgath does use spells to improve his bonuses, Kore might wipe them all out with a dispel magic.

I don't see Forgath lasting more than two rounds in a straight fight, even with the magic items from the treasure room. After all, as a third level cleric, he's starting with no more than 20 to 30 hit points. Kore's got a good chance of dealing out around 20 points damage per round. At this point, Forgath's better off trying to talk to Kore to buy time, since an actual fight will be over almost immediately.

Of course, I'm not expecting "Forgath vs. Kore in a straight fight" to be the next thing to happen. I'm guessing Thunt has something else planned.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Darkpool wrote:Assuming Kore is a 20th level paladin,
I think we only have direct evidence of him being *at least* level 14...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Causes_Chaos
Knows Everything

Post by Causes_Chaos » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:58 pm

I admit it, I LOL'd at "Fly, you fools"

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Darkpool wrote:Assuming Kore is a 20th level paladin,
I think we only have direct evidence of him being *at least* level 14...
Image Kore
Lawful (03272006) Currently Unknown [Could be Good (11162010-2, 11262010-2) or Evil (04042006, 09172005, 11232010-2)], Dwarf (09242006), Male?, Paladin (03272006), Level 14 (casting Holy Sword: 01042011-6)
I.M.E.: Light Blue/White (11162010-2) - Wings of chained heads.
Attributes:
Str ~10 (no evidence)
Dex ~10 (no evidence)
Con ~12 (no evidence, dwarf)
Int ~10 (no evidence)
Wis 14 (01042011-6)
Cha 12 (11162010-2)

To Hit Bonus: +14
Feats:
Skills:
Other Traits: Darkvision 60', Stability, Stonecunning.
Items: Full Plate, Custom Crossbow x2, Custom Tower Shield, Hand Axe x2, Speak with Dead "seeds" (03262006)