I need contest ideas

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

I need contest ideas

Post by WearsHats » Sat May 11, 2013 8:44 pm

That Free Comic Book Day Goblins PDF giveaway was a lot of fun. I'd never have bothered getting the PDF if not for that. I mean, if I want to read the comic on my computer, I can do it for free at the website, right? But it turns out there's good reason to get it:

For one thing, there are exclusive extras. The Book 1 PDF includes bonus comics not available anywhere else, including the print edition. It also has "minor spoilers" which actually give some information we haven't seen yet. The Book 2 PDF also includes bonus comics. Even better, there's a running commentary from Thunt, pointing out interesting things about the various pages, giving insight into the writing process, telling fun stories, and more.

For another thing, reading Goblins is a very different experience when you can just go from one page to the next without having to deal with load times. When you can just sit and read the whole book in one sitting. You can really get into the flow of the story and even pick up on things you might have missed reading it more gradually.

I think those PDFs are a great buy. And I was sorry to see a few people who were interested miss out on the FCBD spree. So I want to give more people a chance to get them. Drive Thru Comics (the company that sells the PDFs) won't let me buy a PDF as a gift, but it will let me buy a $5 gift certificate which I can give to anyone. That's enough to buy either Book 1 or Book 2. Or, if you pitch in an extra $3, you can get both books in one package!

I'm thinking I'll buy, say, 7 gift certificates. And those will become contest prizes. But we need contests for people to win.

I want at least one contest to be a random drawing, so everyone has a chance. But we've already had a very cool fanart contest. What else can we do? What would be fun? What would generate new content? Should we have one for new forum graphics? Fanfic? Something else? (A contest to come up with better contests?) Let's get some ideas on the table!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Re: I need contest ideas

Post by lingrem » Sun May 12, 2013 3:36 am

1) Goblin's memes :) hahaha.

2) Could always ask Thunt to use a comic page, remove the words, and have people fill in their own. I'm sure he'd enjoy that.

(this way, less artistic people can take part in these too)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 am

The contest is to give the best idea to a contest.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

leopardessmoon
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: leopardessmoon

Post by leopardessmoon » Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Goblins BINGO!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon May 13, 2013 3:09 am

Another idea: a colouring contest. (again, would need Thunt in on this one) but if we could have a panel that's just the outline (like the 3 Kins pose or something), and people could colour it however they wanted.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 am

How about an alternate reality contest, where people have to invent their own reality and write a little story about how it is different than #156? A bit like the Altsplanations...

How about a Goblin quiz with Bot Walter as the Show-master? Who ever can answer the most questions correctly, wins!

How about a contest to come up with the most interesting goblin forum game idea? (There is no need to actually GM the game hereafter, but maybe this will get some other people's minds get going and we'll have more interesting games thereafter...)

How about a contest to come up with goblins comic themed merchandise ideas? What would you like to buy/have at home? How would you go about realizing the idea into an physical item?
If there are some good, feasible ones among these here, it's possible that Thunt might even pick up one of them and make them happen... :idea:

How about a contest for forum icons and/or smilies?

How about ideas to make a bakery shop/Cafe unique, attractive to the potential patrons and profitable at the same time. (Ok that one might be a bit OT, but it could help you immensely. And since you're paying for the pizes... ;) )
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 am

I love the altsplanations idea! Since the last contest was for art, this would be for the writers, and would be similar to a fanfic contest, but would really tie in with the current arc as well.

I vote for that one.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 am

friedkitty wrote:I love the altsplanations idea! Since the last contest was for art, this would be for the writers, and would be similar to a fanfic contest, but would really tie in with the current arc as well.

I vote for that one.
Friedkitty said it
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 pm

I haven't forgotten about this. It just got put on the back burner. I'll come back to it and see what we can do. :)

Or, if someone else wants to organize a contest or two, I'd be happy to put up the prizes.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:48 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:How about an alternate reality contest, where people have to invent their own reality and write a little story about how it is different than #156? A bit like the Altsplanations...
This.

I'd love to see the contests forum moving more and I think it's important to make it available for people who have little artistic talents. I'd be up for running a contest I just don't have the slightest idea how :shrug:
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, we have an idea. A few of them, actually.

Announce that you're running the contest. Announce the prizes. (Say, a $10 certificate - good for Books 1 & 2 in PDF, with money left over for something else - for first prize and a $5 certificate - good for either Book 1 or Book 2, or get both for $3 more - for second prize. Or we can talk about other structures.) Give people a few weeks to post entries. Then open voting. And award prizes. I think that about covers it.

► Show Spoiler

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm

While I think this is a great idea, and I am also eagerly waiting the eventual results, I think all monetary investments (ie prizes and stuff) should go towards the kickstarter now. You can start bringing this together once it's over. :)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Slings Words
Mutters to Themself

Post by Slings Words » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I definitely agree that the writers amongst the fans need a time to shine! We could do the Altsplanations idea or just a general short story contest.
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

Readers Clan Story Thread: Here
Readers Clan Fancomic: Risks and Side Effects
Readers Clan Fancomic 2: Heimspiel

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:37 pm

BeanDip suggested a regular contest with fic prompts. I like that. Might get that started later this summer.

► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:07 am

this may or may not need to go here.. but there is now a Fan Fic subforum in communities
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:16 am

Had an idea for a contest... the Chronicles of Tul: What would've happened if his fight with the Switchbeast and Biscuit had gone differently, or if he'd been the chief, not Duv for example. Gosh what a waste of a fantastic haircut that character was :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

deathofbarney
Of Few Words
UStream Username: deathofbarney

Post by deathofbarney » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:48 am

Character theme art contest ( Someone like kin or duv or thaco)
Seconding the vote of goblin's meme XD
Goblins mincomic - Have a posted format restricting size and panels ( a good example would be a three panel strip or a 8 panel page). It could be made with unique art or by editing various panels from existing art.
People how are skilled with writing could team up with the artistically inclined :3

actually a teams contest could be fun
ImageImageImageImage

Genius Supreme
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Genius Supreme » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:43 pm

*bursts through the computer screen*

Good daaaaaay, ladies and gentlemeeen!

I think a lovely contest for writers (such as myself) would be some homegrown altsplanations!

We could set it up so that within a certain word cap we'd have to detail: What's different about the world, what's different about MM, Forgath and Kin themselves, and one of their fights with in the maze of the many!

Oohoohoohoohoo! A grand time would be had by all!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:49 pm

You're new, so you wouldn't know, but we actually just finished an altsplanations contest. It went pretty well. You can read the entries here, or some of them have been moved into the fanfiction thread, that I believe was placed in Communities.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Genius Supreme
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Genius Supreme » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:59 pm

*immediately becomes unreasonably enraged at having this simple, easily attained information pointed out*

On a serious though, thanks for the low-down. I'll post my very late alt on that forum post haste and be on the look out for other writing contests.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I'll probably run a fic prompt contest in August. I might make it a monthly thing.

► Show Spoiler

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 pm

I will be putting forth my codes for ebooks for one of the upcoming contests if that helps. We may do one to make new icons for a new theme, but I'll let the writing ones happen first
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 pm

I was planning on putting up my codes for prizes, as well, since I already have all the ebooks. More prizes (and more contests) would be good. :)

► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:32 am

Isn't it about time to do another fan art contest? Should we do one with a specific medium? Like crayons or pencils or could we have another "Rearrange the panels and make a new comic" contest?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:50 am

Sounds good.

I was thinking of making fic prompt contests a monthly thing, but an art contest would be good, too. I'm not an artist, though, so I don't think I'm the right one to choose the medium/focus.

► Show Spoiler