Alternate Realities Contest: Entries & Voting Here!

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Re: Alternate Realities Contest: Entries & Voting Here!

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm

1 ) - 3 (RJack, nikohl, T-Rex)
2 )
3 )
4 ) - 1 (FK)
5 ) - 1 (Sam)
6 ) - 3 (LAYF, RJack, BD)
7 ) - 6 (LAYF, Grizz, Krulle, T-Rex, FK, HG)
8 ) - 4 (nikohl, Grizz, Krulle, HG)
9 ) - 1 (BD)
10 ) - 2 (TTW, Sam)

------------------
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BeanDip on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:40 pm

2 )
3 )
4 ) - 1 (FK)
5 ) - 1 (Sam)
6 ) - 3 (LAYF, RJack, BD)
8 ) - 4 (nikohl, Grizz, Krulle, HG)
9 ) - 1 (BD)
10 ) - 2 (TTW, Sam)

Fixing the numbers

HennaGaijin
Of Few Words

Post by HennaGaijin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 pm

► Show Spoiler
*Insert witty signature here*

staron13
Indulges in Conversation

Post by staron13 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 pm

2 )
3 )
4 ) - 1 (FK)
5 ) - 1 (Sam)
6 ) - 4 (LAYF, RJack, BD, Staron)
8 ) - 5 (nikohl, Grizz, Krulle, HG, Staron)
9 ) - 1 (BD)
10 ) - 2 (TTW, Sam)
Hmmmm a signature... I could put some awesome things here

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Okay, time to announce the winners!

The contestants were:

Entry 1: friedkitty
Entry 2: LooksAtYouFunny
Entry 3: nikohl
Entry 4: BeanDip
Entry 5: ThroughTheWell
Entry 6: JibJib
Entry 7: granite_grizz
Entry 8: Kinkatia
Entry 9: I'm Bob
Entry 10: Krulle

First place and $55 goes to granite_grizz!

I'm also awarding $37 each to the next three slots:

Second place goes to Kinkatia!
Third place goes to JibJib!
Fourth Place goes to friedkitty!

Which means the top two slots both went to new forumites who joined up with the forum specifically for the contest. I do hope they'll hang around and join the community here.

Congratulations to the winners! An excellent crop of stories and ideas.

I am planning to run more contests over the course of the summer. We might even make monthly fic prompt contests a regular thing. With more time to write, read, and vote.

Thank you to everyone who participated. 8)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

granite_grizz
Remains Silent

Post by granite_grizz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks Wearshats. I'm glad Thunt posted about it this last weekend or I would have totally missed the contest. Thanks to everyone who voted for me. :)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 am

I'm glad for the winner and runner ups, well done you guys - but I'm sad not one person liked my drawing :(

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 am

Congrats, Grizz!

Congrats to all contestants! I found all works great! (not excluding myself....)
@Nikohl: I liked the image, but I missed a bit more background to the alternative reality to keep up with the two I voted for.

And many, many thanks to WearsHats for sponsoring this event!

► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:24 am

But the art was the entry. The text was just fluff, basically a title for the picture. I guess when the description of the contest changed to Fan Fiction I should probably have stopped doing the drawing, but I'd already started by then :/

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:30 am

I liked the drawing. And the description didn't change (except to clarify that it wasn't confined to stories about the Maze of Many). I said to tell us about an alternate reality using any medium, and specifically listed fan art. I'm sorry others didn't choose it for their favorites. That doesn't mean they didn't like it. You could only choose 2 out of 10. I'm glad you created it. I'm glad the contest wasn't just text stories.

Oh, wait. I see. I also clarified to focus more on stories because of a question I got, and art kind of took a back seat. I didn't mean for it to come across that way. I should have left well enough alone. I'm sorry, nikohl. (TBH, I didn't even remember doing that. I've gotten so little sleep this month...)

Oh, and for the record Grizz asked me if he was allowed to vote for himself. I told him the vote would be public but that there was no reason he couldn't appreciate his own work. As it happened, his other vote went to the runner-up, so the outcome would have been the same if he hadn't voted at all.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 am

I'm not mad or anything! I just think the focus was on writing rather than any-medium. I'm glad you liked it and I didn't enter to win, I entered to participate, so its all good :) A story might have served me better but I'm no good at stories :p

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:54 am

I'm glad you're not mad. (I didn't think you were, really.) But I did mean for this to be an any medium contest, and I'm disappointed that I didn't bring that across properly. I had a few people confused about what was expected in one way or another.

Me, I used to be good at short stories. But I've never really been very good at art.

What was cool was that when I asked people about how to distribute the prize money, several of them wrote back to say that they weren't in it for the money and that if they did happen to win something I should save the money or give it to someone else.

► Show Spoiler

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 am

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to everyone who participated, vote or he is WearsHats.
And an extra thanks to Wears for holding the contest and giving money from his own to the winners.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 am

WearsHats wrote:Oh, and for the record Grizz asked me if he was allowed to vote for himself. I told him the vote would be public but that there was no reason he couldn't appreciate his own work. As it happened, his other vote went to the runner-up, so the outcome would have been the same if he hadn't voted at all.
I know. I removed something very similar (outcome unchanged) part in my post as that would have seemed too much rambling, too unsorted....
And not only Grizz asked about it (before the entry deadline).
There was a discussion about "vote for yourself or not" and about "vote by poll" or "vote by post" or "vote by PM".
"Poll" would have been completely anonymous, and only 1 vote per voter.
"by post" would be public, thus causing voters to (inadvertently) follow the horde or vote for perceived "underdogs".
"by PM" would be anonymous (except for the election official) before the voting ends (and after if votes remain unpublished), but a lot of work for the person counting the votes.

Note: Even if I had not forbidden myself to vote for entry 10, I would not have done so, I found entries 7 & 8 simply better. A third vote (in case I would have had 3) would likely have gone to the image, as it was the only piece of graphical art.

3 things I liked about this contest:
- it was one
- severe time constraint from announcing to deadline (not much time to polish the entry)
- something real to win (although I was one who declined receiving money).

And for all these factors I have to thank you, Wears.
You gave me an incentive to finally write down something (I still like my idea of an alternative Herbert having to steer "his" group of players through the dungeon against other Herberts and their respective groups).
The time limit was short, so I had to do it "now or never".
You boosted my self-esteem by causing me to actually get some votes in! Yay! (Although that TTW voted for me was a clue for me that he is a contestant too, but I guessed his entry wrong).

Edit: Before I forget to do it:
Thank you, Wears!

BTW; for the written record: I hereby relinquish all of my rights to my entry to the greater good of the Goblin community. Rights by the owners of GoblinsComic and other figures I have used are not affected, these remain the intellectual property of the respective owners.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 am

Congratulations to the winner and all the participants! :mrgreen:

And thanks Wears!
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 am

Congratulations granite_grizz!, your entry was really good and I'm glad it won... I hope you'll be glad when your prize arrives in December :)

Also congratulations to Kinkatia, JibJib and friedkitty :)

Nikohl, I liked your image.... but i must admit, I like the two other stories two... was a hard choice...

Wears, don't be sorry that the focus was moved away from the art entries... I mostly entered to make sure there were entries, and for the fun of it...

I can only thank you for hosting and paying for such a contest...

but what I AM dissapointed about is the contestants made an entry but did not vote... To be honest, I find that a bit disrespectful... if you did not want to vote because you were afraid to lose, you had two votes and could have voted on yourself with one... and even if... well... honest.. it just disappoints me :(

OTH: Thanks a ton to HG, RJack, Sam, Staron and T-Rex for taking the time to vote, even do you did not have anything in it yourself...
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:14 am

Unstructured Thoughts:

I pimped the contest in 3 threads to get more voters. I did not want to vote for myself. I did vote for the one that I thought was best (aside from mine which I still love), but several others were close beheind it. Some of the clever ones had some point that bugged me (level 7!, demon name != character name, etc). Thank you Sam. I wonder if my disclaimer hurt me in terms of votes? But, since someone might either take offense or recognize similarity, I felt I needed to preemptively address those issues. Has anyone read The Sleeping Dragon? Anyone recognize their mangled username in mine? Thank you Wears, for holding the contest, organizing it, and putting up cash.

Anyone have any questions about mine?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:21 am

That is awesome that new goblinites won!! I too hope they stick around. And nikohl, I too liked your picture. It's a lot better than I could do in that time! The problem was I liked all of them.

And for those of you who were confused by mine like krulle was, my story was about klik. :thumbsup: I plan on cleaning it up and making it a little clearer, and possibly reposting it over on the fan fiction thread.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 am

Well, the concept of a "true name" can be varied very widely.
In many settings, the true name is given by "gods" and not told to any being, and even the being concerned must find out his true name himself (e.g. Eragon series).
Or the true name is what the being concerned thinks of himself. And if "Complains of Names" thinks of himself as "Complains of Names" then that is his true name. (And in his specific case it is true, he is complaining about names rather often, so in the above mentioned Eragon series that could well be his "true name" (the true name is a name that cannot lie about the person, in the Eragon series Eragon did not find out his name, he simply decided and chose one for himself).
In many settings the "true name" can change over time, as the character of that person evolves.
As long as "Complains of Names" is complaining about names it is likely that in Entry 7 (Granite Grizz), the demon Complains of Names will remain a slave to Minmax and Forgath.
And in Thunts reality, the true name apparently does not change, as Not-Walter talks about his name having been given before time started (and therefore did not change in a VERY LONG time).
Something like the "true name" is...... something you have to accept as the author provides it.

About some contestants not voting: yeah. I found that a bit disappointing too, that's why I counted who did and who did not vote.
But it was a lot to read, and it took me conscious effort to really read them all as soon as possible to avoid simply voting for something or not voting at all.

Oh, and people could have voted for only one story, as you did TTW. But most important IMHO is, that anyone voting has evaluated all entries completely.
(here art is an advantage: nearly no time efforts for the ones voting. Rather fast to compare art entries, while text entries may take a lot of time to read and evaluate -> art contests attract more voters).

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 am

Krulle wrote:And in Thunts reality, the true name apparently does not change, as Not-Walter talks about his name having been given before time started (and therefore did not change in a VERY LONG time).
Something like the "true name" is...... something you have to accept as the author provides it.
No, I don't have to accept a new author, when they conflict with the original author, IMHO. In the very link you use the name comes from the 'ancients before time'. For me, that does not equal YoungAndBeautifull. And I'd argue that the literary history of demonic truenames is more on my side of the argument.

But my thoughts on this are OT, and irrelevant, maybe having influenced 1 vote.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:Anyone recognize their mangled username in mine?
Flambe's = Arch Lich Burns

Had it been Flambes Cats, you might have gotten more votes. :lol:

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 am

Actualy, I did Flambe's just as a Fumbles double. They both 'lost their minds', and it showed that the transition was both not without costs and not completely in Herbert's control. And even maybe that bad things could happen on the d&d side. And, I had Nuclear Dan in mind for him, if he'd come through unharmed. http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=1 Nuclear Dan's catchphrase is "I cast fireball, centered on myself!" Sorry Burns, maybe if you'd stayed BurnsBees it might have occured to me, but the whole arch lich thing threw me off.

FK, if your name was Fries Kitties, more in the style of goblinesque names, I just might have made Flambe's Cats.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:54 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:Actualy, I did Flambe's just as a Fumbles double. They both 'lost their minds', and it showed that the transition was both not without costs and not completely in Herbert's control. And even maybe that bad things could happen on the d&d side. And, I had Nuclear Dan in mind for him, if he'd come through unharmed. http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=1 Sorry Burns, maybe if you'd stayed BurnsBees it might have occured to me, but the whole arch lich thing threw me off.
I see now. That was the only one I was unsure of, but when he said "it BURNS" I thought it was a clue. The others I think I got.
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:04 am

FK FTW. Yep, you got the other 4. LoJack, for those who don't know is a brand of tracking devices. And Glock is a gun brand. I really liked the tie in between Swears and BigEars reluctance to swear post-Brassmoon pre-DragonMaw.

As for Flambe's, I was trying also to show that a human from our world who suddenly had magical spells poured into their brain might just suffer some side effects, and since his spells were fire based it seemed reasonable that they would burn him out.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 am

friedkitty wrote:I plan on cleaning it up and making it a little clearer, and possibly reposting it over on the fan fiction thread.
We have a fan fiction thread? Did I miss it somewhere?