Alternate Realities Contest: Entries & Voting Here!

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Re: Alternate Realities Contest: Entries & Voting Here!

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 am

I think we used to have one on the old forum in the bookclub...maybe my brain is just addled. :? Anyway, it's not there, but if I get this done in the next week or so, we'll have one then. (unless someone beats me to it, in which case it'll already be there.) :P

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:22 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:I really liked the tie in between Swears and BigEars reluctance to swear post-Brassmoon pre-DragonMaw.
So it has nothing to do with my personal policy not to use swear words except in extreme circumstances which actually call for an obscenity?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:39 am

WearsHats wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:I really liked the tie in between Swears and BigEars reluctance to swear post-Brassmoon pre-DragonMaw.
So it has nothing to do with my personal policy not to use swear words except in extreme circumstances which actually call for an obscenity?
Son of a Beanie. Sorry, I've not read ALL your posts, particularly controversy where it might be evident, to know you have that conviction. I mainly had to go with name variations, what they suggested, who might match up to the GAP characters, and really only a couple of 'personal' points from what I knew of people on the forums. It is not completely trivial to do such a mash up.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:36 am

I actually don't think I've mentioned it in the boards before. (Nor do I expect you to memorize every personal detail I post anywhere on the boards. That would actually be kind of creepy, really.) I'm just amused that you got it right. And I love your choice of faux expletive. :D
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:00 am

Hot Dog! (and yes in my case that counts as an expletive...sory Wears! ;) )

I threw in an extra 18 and pledged my 55 !! I'm soooo excited !!!

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 am

friedkitty wrote:I threw in an extra 18 and pledged my 55 !! I'm soooo excited !!!
Say what? Sounds like a new contest is in the works, but more details please?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:05 am

I just meant I added $18 to the $37 I won here and was able to contribute to the kickstarter. Without this contest, I was only going to be able to throw in at the $11 dollar level this weekend.

Sorry to get your hopes up TTW. :oops:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

friedkitty wrote:Hot Dog! (and yes in my case that counts as an expletive...sory Wears! ;) )

I threw in an extra 18 and pledged my 55 !! I'm soooo excited !!!
Out of curiosity, do you know my last name?

► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 pm

It was on the PayPal transfer, but I honestly don't remember it as it's 11:20 and my brain has shut down for the day!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 pm

It's Wiener. ;)

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:19 am

Weirdly enough, I remember it from the hidden forum, and from your Twitter (sometimes following links from Thunt's twitter page)
And I remember your first name, @Hataroni
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:57 am

Point being that in the US "Wiener" is slang for "hot dog." (Now go reread what FriedKitty said...)

Unfortunately, it's also become slang for a part of the human body which resembles a hot dog.

This is why I always said I'd name my hypothetical future son "Frank." To direct the teasing to the less problematic option.

I was pretty much joking about that, but I did make Frank last year, at Danielle's VCON panel.

► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:38 am

I was referring to the "dog" aspect, being of the feline persuasion and all.
:oops: Having been on the butt end of one too many name callings in my life I can assure you no besmirchment of your name was intended!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Ah, I completely missed the dog/cat connection. Oops.

But no, I didn't feel besmirched. I should remember to use smilies more. The twinkle in my eye just doesn't come across in plain text, despite the beanie.

► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:25 pm

WearsHats wrote:This is why I always said I'd name my hypothetical future son "Frank." To direct the teasing to the less problematic option.
Oh god, name your hypothetical child Franklin Nicholas Weiner.

Then he'll be...
Frank N. Weiner

:rofl:
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Congratulations, Wolfie. That is definitely a new one on me. :lol:

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:09 am

I really like the name "Etta" for a baby (like Etta James) - I guess I shouldn't marry Wears!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:35 am

I didn't say anything about a daughter's name. I'd still marry you, Nikohl!

... Oh, wait. Pronunciation is a little off, but I see the problem now. Oh dear. Well, when we get married, I can take your name.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 pm

I am German.
I know what a "Wiener" is.
And that Hot Dogs may have their origin in "Wiener W├╝rstchen". (Note: What we Germans and Austrians call "Winer W├╝rstchen" are known to the rest of the world as "Frankfurter W├╝rstchen", Or "Frankfurter Bratwurst")
And I did know the use in slang-language for a male body part.
A "W├╝rstchen" is a German slang word for the same body part (although using it additionally to point out that the referred "W├╝rstchen" is a small one).
So it translates rather easily, although a German would not use this city name for it. Maybe "N├╝rnberger" more, as they are even smaller than "Wiener"...

And name-calling is not unknown to me.
When I first saw your name, I already knew you'd be a person who grew up strong enough to be able to handle others using your name against you.

Won't tell you mine in public, but it made rhyming rather easy....

a translation of one of the rhyme:
my_name
any activity yourself
another activity yourself (repeat as much as you can find activities)
then go and pee yourself (translated back to German this means something like fuck off - get lost - ...)
(Yes, my name ends with "yourself")

Actually, I liked it, and often came with far more proposals of activities they could spontaneously think of, slipping in positive ones here and there.
And I'm still proud of my name, as it is a very rare name. And the meaning of the name is fully known, where it came from, and what the ancestors first given this name were doing to pay for food and bed. (The continuous line of ancestors is not known, alas).
Last edited by Krulle on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:39 pm

WearsHats wrote:I didn't say anything about a daughter's name. I'd still marry you, Nikohl!

... Oh, wait. Pronunciation is a little off, but I see the problem now. Oh dear. Well, when we get married, I can take your name.
Ah, see, in England (if you're not posh), you say "ate" like 'et' rather than more like 'eight' - So here, Etta Wiener would sound exactly like Ate a Wiener.

If you took my surname, you'd have to become a singer or musician of some sort. Paul-Gabriel Bright sounds very ...famous.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 am

I think I will post a few pictures about the different kinds of sausages, before people start to marry each other for the wrong reason. ;)

Wiener W├╝rstchen (in Germany. Those are closer to Fleischwurst in Germany than to Bratwurst. I think this is what is used for hot dogs. You can eat them cold and warm):

Fleischwurst (not sure if bologna translates it right. You normally eat them cold, it is not something to cook or put on a grill, but you can):

Bratwurst (N├╝rnberger, Th├╝ringer, and so on, the narrow but long kind, often the meat is minced finer. You can eat them only after cooking/grilling them):

Hausmacher Bratwurst (homemade one, the thick but shorter kind like most butchers sell. Often the meat is not minced as fine as for the narrow ones. You can eat them only after cooking/grilling them):
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:50 am

Hausmacher Bratwurst look most like the "normal" sausages we have here. Although that one with the bread and mustard looks delicious!

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 am

I'm still confused how a contest thread turned into a thread about sausages :lol:
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 am

The fleischwurst look like the things I take when I go hiking, they're good because they'll stand up to being beaten up at the bottom of a 17kg pack for a week and a half :P

I'm expecting the move to Controversy any second ;)
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:48 am

Sausages are serious business!

Bob (also, American forumites) here at least, most sausages are all or partly pork. Do you get lots of sausages made from other things? I had beef sausage once but it was kind of dry, and I saw turkey meat sausage at the supermarket but I haven't tried it.