Pattern Fills

For all Games related resources.
Tea
Is Heard Often

Pattern Fills

Post by Tea » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Decided to start working on a small dungeon and I realized that it might be nice to have some pattern fills, say like stone patterns for walls, wood, maybe even a couple of dirtish things ect. Nothing too fancy or distracting. As I will be making a bunch of these anyway (if no one else, I will use them), I will offer them to the community. As I can create simple ones relatively quickly, I will, of course, take requests.

As I am not at all familiar with Gimp (which seems to be one of the common programs around here), I'm not sure if there's a way to take a swatch and turn it into a usable pattern. Photoshop (with which I am much more familiar) should have a function like this (perhaps via pattern overlay), but I have yet to look into it. (For the record, program-wise, I'm putting Illustrator to good use.) So, Photoshop, Gimp, and Whatever Else You've Got users, should you be interested in anything like this, what format do you think would be best for this kind of thing? Swatches that can be converted into the pattern (by manually stacking them if need be) or something more along the lines of a giant wall of patterness which can then be manipulated into the desired shape?

To start things off, here's a stone wall I have going in action. Shown in both smaller and larger sizes.
gob.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Pattern Fills

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:28 am

Nice one, that's a cool idea :)

We chose GIMP for the God School stuff because it's free, but I know there are at least a couple of folk with PS, so if you know how to produce the fills for that then it's a place to start. I'm not that familiar with pattern fills myself so figuring out how to do it in Gimp would take a bit of googling that I don't really have time to sort out at the moment. Maybe if someone else is keen they could take the reins?

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:49 pm

One googling later, it should work in both Gimp and Photoshop and both similarly.
Gimp: there are two methods, the easiest of which is to just open the image (which will make the pattern) and then saving it as a .pat file in Gimp. The other method...located about halfway down the page, if you're really interested, I wish luck. http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-patterns.html
Photoshop: Open, Edit>Define Pattern. . .>voila!
or, for a lengthier explanation, here http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creating-c ... photoshop/

Illustrator, er,...well...I think I'm the only person I know of using illustrator.

And so, it begins.

I present, the aforefeatured stone wall: (still working on image size, it should be large enough to be scaleable without risking pixelation, but not so large as to be needlessly huge)
patternswall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Tue May 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Here's an old one (you can have it since I'm doing an improved version). It tiles fine horizontally, but I need to fix it vertically. Also, I apologize in advance for any problems with the resolution. Illustrator had a handful just converting it to 72ppi so I tried to compensate by scaling.
what situations require a bamboo forest around here, I don't know, but have fun.

Also, next up should be some more walls I'm working on, this time with bricks!
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Re: Pattern Fills (Up Against a Brick Wall)

Post by Tea » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 pm

One wall, lots of different colors. The large squares are tiles, the rectangles are just there to prove the bricks tile nicely.