Feedback and Q&A for Spreadsheet Scripting

For all Games related resources.
Inspired
Game Master

Feedback and Q&A for Spreadsheet Scripting

Post by Inspired » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 pm

This thread is for observations, questions and corrections for the thread: Spreadsheet Scripting Tutorials.

Feel free to post anything topic related on your mind here! There will be more tutorials upcoming...
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Feedback and Q&A for Spreadsheet Scripting

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Pretty easy so far. Worked through the example. In the past I've used Google documents to save and edit things in phBB code, doing it all by hand. Easy enough at the small scale, but easy to lose [/end] code, or have an extra one lying about that stops it prematurely. Can see how this would be useful if doing something more involved.

Already jumped ahead and wrote one to do italic and used that to call up the cell that hand the bold text in it.

Code: Select all

=make_text_italic(B6)

Code: Select all

[i][b]STuff!,More stuff,yet more and,more[/b][/i]
STuff!,More stuff,yet more and,more
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 am

I just have one thing to say. Javascript? Easy? Are we sure we are talking about the same DEVILS PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE?

(Seriously though, I get what you're saying and the actual function writing is easy enough, but when there's like dozens of frameworks just to make sure your code is actually easy to write... :roll: )

And I see how this could potentially be useful- Looking forward to more.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 pm

As someone who has just started learning JavaScript and has only a little experience with spreadsheets I think the tutorial is well-organized and easily to follow (and I learned more about how functions work from you than from the source I was using although, considering it was flagrantly violating all sorts of W3C rules...probably not the most reliable teacher...).

I look forward to future installments!