Free Maps/ Map requesting

For all Games related resources.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Free Maps/ Map requesting

Post by LAYF » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:38 am

DragonTurtle wrote:I think the original concept of this thread is a great idea. I'm going to go dig up a map to share.

Sounds Great Turtle.. And welcome to the board.
-Best regards LAYF

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:23 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
DragonTurtle wrote:I think the original concept of this thread is a great idea. I'm going to go dig up a map to share.

Sounds Great Turtle.. And welcome to the board.
You do know turtle is Danielle right? :P
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 am

Nope I did not... Hehe... only noted the 2 post count, so figured is was someone new... hehe... A well... I guess Danielle is welcome two ;P

(To be honest, If i dont see the name enough, I'm tarrible at knowing who is who.....)
-Best regards LAYF

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 pm

This is a great idea ... i've tried my hand at map-making in The Gimp but am rarely pleased with the result.
This thread as a forum for both sharing maps AND learning about their creation is an awesome one.
All hail the power of the stick!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:17 am

If you are intrested.. the god school (In the games sub forum) I will have a lesson on map making In Gimp, it will focus on fantasy style world maps.
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:10 am

LAYF, when are you going to bring your 'modern war' map over from Random? It was basicaly finished there, and really deserves at least a link here.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:LAYF, when are you going to bring your 'modern war' map over from Random? It was basicaly finished there, and really deserves at least a link here.
Thanks... I had not even thought about adding it here :)

Here it is:

IÔÇÖve for a long time walked around, wanting to make an TBS game (Turn based strategy) on the forums... IÔÇÖve even made some of the art for it...

BUT.... I tend to run to many games... and I already have 4 that I need to run first.... so....

IÔÇÖve decided to show what I have so far, in the hopes someone else might want to take over what IÔÇÖve made...

So far I have this one map and hte things seen here:

And IÔÇÖd be more than willing to make more units and buildings if someone wants to run a TBS... so... what do you guys think?

What you think?[/quote]
-Best regards LAYF

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I like the town and outdoors maps sort of thing - very nice ... do you use similar tools for cave/dungeon maps?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Well... If i were to make dungeon maps, yes... but.. I've newer made a dungeon map that was not hand drawn....

Edit: did a quick 10 min work to see how it looks... with some work, yes, I'd make them in the same way, using gimp....
Are there anything special you'd like?
-Best regards LAYF

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:14 pm

That is awesome - thanks for the reply there .... I will give it a go myself, although I suspect it would take me a lot longer than 10 minutes to do :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Cool...Thanks... for a bit of help... here is the 3 other stages of that drawing (I allways save under way):

-Best regards LAYF

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Very cool - did it seriously only take you 10 minutes to put all that detail in? Is there some tool that you used to put in all that broken up edging or did you draw it by hand?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:56 pm

By hand... i just used the Smudge tool and moved back and forth between the white and the "cave"
made the squares in paint and copy/pasted them in.
Then Emboss to get the "depth" feel.
then selection tool, apply canvas, colerize and last oilify....
The wall in the room is just the floor with extra canvas, emboss and colorize applied afterwards...

:)

Oh, and if you make some maps I'd love to see them :)
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:15 am

If anyone would like me to draw up a similar map for them let me know, this was actually quite easy.
► Show Spoiler
I used a CAD program called Solid Edge. It's a fairly simplistic style, which i personally prefer.

Also, if anyone was wondering how i made it, I simply need words, give me a paragraph or two describing the places that are on the map and their general direction (N, S, E, W) from each other. This is how I made the above map.

Here is something else, more an idea that I had than anything, An basic ISO-map concept. Minecraft (the forum game) :lol:
► Show Spoiler

So, not to try to steal any of your thunder or copyrighted material LAYF. But i remembered an idea I had awhile back and this is what I've come up with. I suppose its a bit similar to the myrmen idea, except it currently has no point or rules. We'll see if it ever goes anywhere, though I enjoy creating things like this and to me seems like less work than some other game types...again, we shall see.
► Show Spoiler

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:57 pm

that's quite cool looking there BadgeAddict - I especially like the style of the first one as it may be something I can use when making maps for my own game :)

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:21 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote: Oh, and if you make some maps I'd love to see them :)
No sooner said than done - if I can figure out how to add an image :)
This is a map of a group of islands that form the starting point of a D&D game I am running. Created in the GIMP.

And this is zooming in on one of the islands - the one where the initial action is taking place.
They both feel a bit clumsy to me - it's the first time I've tried to use a computer app to draw any sort of maps so I suppose it will get easier and
better looking with time and experience...

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:47 pm

hay Unlucky-for-Some... first saw this now...
Some questions... size of the map... there don't seem to be any stable size reference, the only thing i got is the trees, and... unless what i think is mountains is actually only hills, that is not to scale... (It don't have to be... i just miss some form of scale.. even a normal small measure mark in the corner...)

That said...
Both maps looks good but.
You Zoom in map looks way better than the zoom out, the placement of islands on the zoom out just don't seem natural to me... but that's also because of how islands form.

The zoom in:
-Pro: The form of the coast lines looks pretty natural, and its great to see them broken by the mountain.. volcano?.
-Con: with exception of the volcano and one bay, the coastline seems to be evenly divided with sand beaches.. in a grouping of islands like that you have on the map there, the flow of water would not allow for this...
-Pro: Your inland mountains actually looks like they follow some form of natural line.. be it from glaziers or tectonic plate movement, this is great, as it looks "real".

There are some more things. but I'll stop here, because.. as a start, its good.. and, in the god school, I'll get into more details of nature formation!

Good work and best regards -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi LAYF, I'd like to request some japanese style land maps and maybe city streetmaps... :D

It would be for the Ninja game, but more for fun (and RP) than actual use, as the game itself would be in plain platform view anyway. :)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Sounds great.. :D
I'll look into a style that is Japanese'ich :)
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:14 pm

hay Looks... here is my first attempt at devolop a style sutiable for this game...

my original inspiration is this map http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/upload ... no-map.jpg

What I've made so far is a Mountain style, and a paper/color style
and this is what i got so far...

Is this the direction you want?
-Best regards LAYF

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Unlucky-for-Some, some advice on the zoomed out map, most island chains seem to be more linear. Think about Japan and Hawaii, there are groups of islands, but they are all going in one general direction. Yours seem to be placed randomly, going on many directions. It doesn't mesh well with what you see in real life. Then again, you probably aren't using this for real life, so it doesn't really matter, but it would make it seem more natural.

LAYF, that map looks awesome.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Here is another simple style map that I had come up with. Similar to ones such as Aegis made for Civ except attempting a crisper look to it. Also an attempt at different shading for different land-types.

1. is a desert
2. is swampland
3. plains
4. (no clue)
5. Forest
6. Floating sky islands
7. Island with a mountain in the center.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:42 pm

BA, interesting map. It does seem odd to me that you could have desert though surrounded on 3 sides by water, unless you say that the wind is from the south, and thus all the rain is on the south slope of the mountains. You might even extend the mountains to the edge of the spur of 3. 4, could be jungle. That might also make more sense then to swap 2 and 3, plains and marsh.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:08 pm

thanks for the suggestion on natural lines for my islands guys - this map is supposed to show one end of an archipelago, so your observation is a very useful one. As my game progresses and I find myself needing to draw more of the island chain off to the east I will keep this thought in mind

:thumbsup:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

I don't know if the images from this site are free to use, but you could at least look at them and pull ideas about different ways to create the effect of trees, cities, mountains, etc...

http://www.cartographersguild.com