Need help designing a class.

For all Games related resources.
Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Need help designing a class.

Post by Jacon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi everyone. I hope this is the right place to put this. I run a heavily homebrewed 3.5 dnd game. None of the combat rules are homebrewed but I specially design dailies ( stolen from 4th edition.) to each character. For instance one character can change himself into a bear for one round. ( allowing three attacks.) He's a cleric.

In my gameworld the island the characters live in is controlled by four incredibly powerful overseers that were the previous characters of the players turned evil. One is a massive tank troll, another is a paladin turned demon death knight, a powerful sorcerer and a vampire lord. One of the new characters says he's interested in becoming a vampire and I always want to please the players but I don't want him to gain the vampire powers like in the book because this would put his level way past everyone elses. ( I made this mistake once in the previous campaign. The tank troll was actually a orc but in preparation for the climax he got a artifact that turned him into a troll. Well it made sense for the story and was fun for a while it did make him really powerful in comparison to the other pcs.) I was thinking of creating a vampire class that he could take levels in thus keeping him at the same level as everyone else.

The general idea for the class would be that it would massively increase his attack power at night and in dark places but make him the weakest character in the sunlight ( The sun not killing him because he's wearing alot of robes.)

One idea I had was that if he doesn't drink blood he'll enter into a feral state in a couple of days which would be similar to a barbarians rage but maybe more powerful but he'd target everyone who had blood including allies. Their would also be a state which would be close to feral but not quite there and he would sometimes lash out at his allies in a blood lust. ( His will against a dc that i'd have to figure out.)

Anyway anyone got any ideas to add to a vampire class? Weakness's or strengths?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Need help designing a class.

Post by LAYF » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Hmm.. well, there is the official Vampire class

Here

others have made some classes for the same, oslecamo's take on it:
► Show Spoiler

but biggest problem with the official class is no HD at all vampire levels...

Meh... hope it helps..
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 am

I have 2 thoughts, and maybe more to say later when I have more time. 1: break the vamp template down into LA # of levels, then let the player pay for 1 level at a time. 2: read Vampire, The Masquerade players handbook. Then ask the player what kind of vamp they want to be. Then parse bits of that end goal out to them per level. Player would start as a low level vamp, in a culture of vamps that demand fealty and want to remain hidden. Player would need to make a will save each day in order not to 'feed'. Will save would get tougher for each day without feeding, each major 'sin', any fight, taking more than half HP damage, etc, some of which might force another will save. By making the vamp characteristics more ala cart, they might not have to pay as many levels, and you keep the power level lower, and you can place the more powerful powers several levels of vamp down the line.

At level 1 of vamp, I'd probaly assign 1 fast healing, +2 to 1 stat, sunlight vulnerability, and bite resistlessness (victum stops resisting once bit).
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

currently_awake
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by currently_awake » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Most undead have levels of monster. Those special Vampire powers come from those levels. Your new character won't have those levels yet, therefore won't have those powers yet. You make them take levels in Vampire in order to gain the powers.

knightwalkr
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Willie Pierce

Post by knightwalkr » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:53 am

Id start off with basics

need to feed-at most once every 4 days
powers-strength (bull strength), mesmerizing gaze (charm), find a couple spells that wouldnt over power your game
powers would say be once a day activation per character level level 2 he can use 2 powers a day. You could set up powers as feats and then base the class off of warrior or sorcerer. require him to buy at least one power every feat level. (if you want ideas for powers you could look at vampire the masquerade and look for spells you can alter to mimic the powers)

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Thu May 07, 2015 11:15 am

The official vampire class is based on Dracula; it has that +8 level adjustment because it grants the ability to single-handedly convert a limitless number of low-level characters into obedient minions, potentially making the character a walking apocalypse if he can avoid being taken down by local clerics for long enough. Making a more practical version for player-character use is simple enough; remove the Create Spawn ability and you can knock at least three levels off of that LA.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

Kushner
Remains Silent

Post by Kushner » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:30 am

LAYF wrote:Hmm.. well, there is the official Vampire class

Here

others have made some classes for the same, oslecamo's take on it:
► Show Spoiler

but biggest problem with the official class is no HD at all vampire levels...

Meh... hope it helps..
I have checked your referring link and it did helped me what you were talking about. Thanks