Game Ideas Workshop

For all Games related resources.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Game Ideas Workshop

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Sorry, double post but I forgot to reply to Wolfie! Your game looks cool! The onl thing I'd say about it is that your probably giving yourself a load of early work by splitting the party at the beginning, but I'm sure you can handle it :-)

I do think you'll find a regen 2 effect pretty quick and if you want to encourage creative healing I'd probably make it 3 or 5. Or call it a dice roll and let it vary according to a plausible range, but that works better for less survival-citical role I think. Also I'm less concerned about the survival of the town. If a wizard did it, then it's not the pcs fault if they suddenly causes a harvest to fail. Hell, maybe the whole town has been job- swapped t make room for them.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Just wanted to to say that i, two, like the idea of your game Wolfie.
I think TTW, touched what needed to be addressed, and, I cannot really find what needs to be worked on...
I think, what would be great, would be a bit more complete class description,
Maybe a gradual transaction from their "civil" state into adventure, a "mini game" so to speak, both for you to get a feel of running your game and for the players to get a feel for theire characters, maybe to give them more possibility to form their character:

(Say, if the player who is the blacksmith will become a fighter, in the mini-game he will have to chose between an extra DEF or an extra ATT, or chose to train in one specific weapon type, or what do i know.... So that players "develop" their own character as he awakens, and so that you can have 2 fighters, without having 2 clones....)

But that is just my 2 cents!
-Best regards LAYF

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 pm

So I'm new...

But I'd like to run a game. I don't have much experience with running games on Forums (or playing them really) but I have run a fairly successful campaign face to face.

The basic idea would be that they are running some kind of illegal guild/trade ring. This could be a group of thieves, assassins, or some kind of jack of all trades illegal organization. They'd have to successfully fulfill whatever they were told to do, and avoid being caught by the government, or if caught, avoid being slaughtered for being a member of this organization. Basically it would be a bunch of minigames with some effects depending on how sneaky/successful you were.

I'd probably come up with a new set of rules for this game, and keep some mechanics hidden. I tend to use my spare time to come up with half-thought-out systems that don't go anywhere.

Does this sound doable?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:26 pm

I can only answer by, yea... it does sound, and it is doable.
Now, normally, I'm the guy who would talk all for graphics in a game, but in this case, i think a Rule Light game, Text only would be the best for this :)

But sounds doable, good luck and ask if we can help in any way....

The more games the better :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 pm

A game with a broad scope (e.g. world-crossing) combined with the detail of breaking & entering missions isn't easy to translate into a graphics-based game though you can do it if you drew up a series of mini-game 'mission areas' and accessed them via e.g. a city map. Depends how much you like drawing sprites though :)

Otherwise it sounds pretty cool. You've not given much detail about the mechanics etc. but I like the concept.

UnderstandsLittle
Whispers Softly

Post by UnderstandsLittle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:14 pm

I haven't come up with mechanics yet. Or at least, not past a rough draft that hasn't made it out of my head yet.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

(Before I begin with what im about to say, let me first say that, although i have many ideas, I probably won't enact on them myself because "namely" I have trouble finishing anything I start)

That Said:

How about Goblins in Space or Goblins survival vs. Zombies.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:19 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:How about Goblins in Space or Goblins survival vs. Zombies.
GZ: Dealing with zombies: 1, hack n slash, 2, guns, 3 fort up, 4 cleric. And some scenarios start with limited resources. Now, the GM has a dificult job to do in sending hoards of zombies that feel threatening, but that are just withing reach of the players. Then too, part of the genre is the wrench from the normality of human lives, so how would that be communicated to the goblin setting? You also have to decide if the zombies are infectious, and if so how much. Goblins might have a bit of trouble with waves of super infectious zombies if they start with limited ranged weapons, no fort, and no cleric. Still, if players go in expecting player death, then this is easier to run than space.

GS: I'd say it depends on the mechanics and system. D&D had a spelljammer setting that was technicaly in space. Players tend to need several skills and professions just in order to run their ship. Throw in skill redundency, and suddenly most systems don't work with a small number of players.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 pm

As I see you like games where every character is an user.
On the old forum, where I was active (pastelforum if anybody's curios, but most of the most active users left in the past few months, including me... so I think it's not very big and active community right now) we liked games where everybody could join in posting commands to main character. Only game that is following that rule here I saw is Getting Back... Slowly by LAYF (BTW it's very good). I'd like to start one like this. Only problem is: I suck at drawing, so... I'll make it text-based I hope. I'll try to start pretty soon (one week I hope),but as school starts for me in a few days updates will be pretty rare (only weekends, maybe more often in September).

So plot would be like this (that's just a sketch of plot):

Goblin from unknown, remote tribe seeks fame and goes on a journey.

Not very original or expanded, uh? It will get pretty complicated later, he will meet multiple characters, travel to many places, became a part of events he would never think of normally. Or he will die in his first battle, as game will be realistic, so no hp points, if somebody stabs him in the chest he will just die.
I will post graphics only for a few things, like maps.
There will be also some rolls, but following simple rule:
roll result(1-6)*skill(1-10)=result(1-60) were 1-10 is fumble and 51-60 critical success.

Tell me what you think.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Arles had a game, Memories, that everyone posted suggestions for the player action. It was good, as there was a mystery or more to be solved. http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24

Oh no. dx * dy sounds like a bad mechanic. To know why, chart out the posible results. You will see that some results are not possible. Also, in a group game someone else can screw with the char, which is magnified if they can do so with a number. LAYF's game that you mentioned applies GM wisdom in selecting the near consensus suggestion. Thus it works as a form of colaborative storytelling. Emulate LAYF, or propose a different mechanic. Further, it should go without saying that such a style of game strongly depends on your overall storytelling and world crafting ability.

We've had some other group controls the player games... IIRC they kinda got crazy and ended, IIRC.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:49 pm

So I had this idea way back when I first started posting in the games section but never had the ability to do it and I don't think I ever will so if anyone wants to pick it up or just comment on it then it's here.

This game would be a horror game. It would feature goblins but not a warcamp, a large farming village. This village HAS a warcamp to draw adventurers away but that's not where the story begins. It features a corruption mechanic to avoid turning evil or insane.

Lately the nights have been lasting longer, the leaves on the trees are dying, the animals are disappearing from the woods and the food grown in the gardens begins to taste funny. Eventually, the goblins in the village begin to turn on each other maliciously or go insane slowly, almost harmlessly, at first but it gets worse and worse rapidly and then those who have been corrupted erupt in a full-on violent psychosis all at once as if commanded. Several (about 15 to 20) goblins hole up in the chief's hut. This hut has an emergency tunnel to the warcamp. The goblins figure they will be safe at the warcamp because naturally that's where most of their warriors and weapons are. Trouble is that the corrupted goblins could follow.

So the player's goblins either volunteer or are chosen to stay behind and buy time. There'd ideally be at least 6 to 8 players. No chief, no teller (they are too important and leave through the tunnel to safety). These are just normal goblins. The goblins would have certain professions within the village serving as classes and giving bonuses.

My ideas were:
Blacksmith: +1 attack when wielding blacksmith tools
Chef: +1 attack wielding kitchen implements like kitchen knives, pots, etc
Farmer: +1 attack when wielding farming tools
Hunter: + 1 attack with bows
Carpenter: +1 when when wielding carpentry tools

The professions would provide other passive bonuses like the chef could detect corrupted food, the carpenter could build wooden defenses, the blacksmith might be able to sharpen or improve weapons or craft some armor (all depending on the materials and time, of course), the hunter could spot things better or be a good tracker. It's up to the players to play to their profession in that way and be creative but logical.

The starting weapons would be things like frying pans, carpenter's hammer, shovels, rakes, butcher's knives, walking sticks, etc. One person would get the Cheif's ceremonial sword.It begins in the hut fighting off waves of your psychotic clanmates. After that, the goblins try to get into the tunnel but find that the tunnel has collapsed, possibly by the teller fearing the player's failure. They need to go overland to the warcamp.

So they set off. They find out that their village was only on the edge of the terrible, creeping corruption and as they travel to the warcamp they find that they are going deeper into corrupted territory. The sky darkens to black, the soil is black too and all the plants are dead. The creatures of the forest have been transformed into twisted, grotesque abominations. The water has somehow turned thick and slimy, filled with bodies and debris and blood.

Arriving at the warcamp the goblins find exactly what they were fearing. The warcamp is dead, a few violent, insane corrupted warriors wielding bloody swords stomp around among the dead. They attack. After defeating the warriors the players go the hut where the warcamp chief would be. The hidden trap door is open and the bodies of the village survivors are scattered around. They were killed by the warriors as soon as they stepped from the tunnel.

Feeling lost and probably hopeless, the group notices one pair of bloody goblin footprints leading into the black, dead woods. The footprints show hesitation and fear instead of the suicidally psychotic berserker behaviour of the typical corrupted goblin. Thinking that one of the village goblins must have gotten away, they follow the prints deeper into the corruption.

Eventually they stumble upon a massive (I mean truly humungous) uprooted tree, and under where the tree would have formerly stood is a hole, perfectly round and with sides made of strange stone with intricate carvings. The hole has a diameter about as wide as a goblin is tall and is pitch black inside, impervious to darkvision and any source of light, both magic and mundane. the bloody footprints they were following go to the edge of the hole and simply drop off into the abyss. A stone dropped inside the hole nevers hits bottom.The area around the hole but especially the inside of it is frigid. An unmistakable feeling of dread and a strong urge to leap inside can be felt at the hole's edge.

And that's as far as I got. The corruption mechanic was supposed to make players see hallucinations, get angry, lie, think of hurting themselves or others. Stuff like that. It was supposed to go on a scale of sanity to corruption. The PCs have a natural resistance to corruption so gain it slower than an NPC would. You could lose corruption and gain sanity through good roleplaying, events important to the character, finding a "soul anchor" like a trinket from a loved one that keeps you grounded to reality and yourself or through the very rare spell like a 'scroll of soul cleansing'. At full corruption you turn evil and get to attack your teammates or run off in an insane frenzy but either way you're out of the game, same as a death.

Healing items should be just rare enough to cause tension, actual weapons and armour should be very rare. Crafting should be encouraged but not to a game breaking level and shouldn't come easily. Crafting all those bedsheets into some heavy cloth armor? Sure the Tailor could do that given the right materials. Good roleplaying is strongly encouraged, if not required, especially in regards to corruption effects.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:08 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:Arles had a game, Memories, that everyone posted suggestions for the player action. It was good, as there was a mystery or more to be solved. http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24

Oh no. dx * dy sounds like a bad mechanic. To know why, chart out the posible results. You will see that some results are not possible. Also, in a group game someone else can screw with the char, which is magnified if they can do so with a number. LAYF's game that you mentioned applies GM wisdom in selecting the near consensus suggestion. Thus it works as a form of colaborative storytelling. Emulate LAYF, or propose a different mechanic. Further, it should go without saying that such a style of game strongly depends on your overall storytelling and world crafting ability.

We've had some other group controls the player games... IIRC they kinda got crazy and ended, IIRC.
You are right, about mechanics.
Anyway rolls aren't really good for this type of games.

About my storytelling abilities, I have no idea if I have any. To check I need to try.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 am

BadgeAddict wrote:(Before I begin with what im about to say, let me first say that, although i have many ideas, I probably won't enact on them myself because "namely" I have trouble finishing anything I start)

That Said:

How about Goblins in Space or Goblins survival vs. Zombies.
Actually, I am planning a zombie survival game these days. It should come out somewhere next week.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 am

Borys wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:Arles had a game, Memories, that everyone posted suggestions for the player action. It was good, as there was a mystery or more to be solved. http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24

You are right, about mechanics.
Anyway rolls aren't really good for this type of games.

About my storytelling abilities, I have no idea if I have any. To check I need to try.
While I love me some "free form" games, like Memories and Getting back, I'll warn you, it can be a hard way to start up, at least, if you leave it open to as many votes as given...
so I'd suggest either: limit the amount of votes per round, also to not cover people in waves of text each time.
or use the system that TTW calls GM wisdom... selecting the suggestions.. here the differences lies between two things... do we play the character, or do we talk to the character/plays he subconsciousness?

As i understand it, you do have more than just "Goblin from unknown, remote tribe seeks fame and goes on a journey." planed.. if you fear your abilities and would like help, you can send it buy me and I'd be glad to give some pointers/ideas/constructive critique and then keep out of the game as to not spoil anything :)

any ways... good luck from -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 am

It's all big experiment, I'm full of different ideas.
What about Myrmen type (which is the most computer-game like way of doing it imaginable) you are given a few options, that are voted?
It would be like kind like THIS then.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 am

So, to explain myself a little further.

In the realm of (goblins in space)

Imagine that some sneaky goblins have someone (in the future, of course) snuck onto a human (or other creatures) spaceship, rocket, etc. and must explore the ship (be it room by room, floor by floor, or even secret ways (like ventilation shafts)...basically, they don't have to drive the ship, because in the future ships drive themselves. more a survivalist type, exploration of ship in outer space and either the befriending of the owners of it or the killing of the owners of it. (this works easier if the owners are aliens, it also allows the game not to be set in the future)

Now, for zombies...

Imagine a group of (not goblins) trapped in a mall, or what-have-you, apocalypse, yada-yada-yada...basically a playable Dawn of the Dead.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Imagine that some sneaky goblins have someone (in the future, of course) snuck onto a human (or other creatures) spaceship, rocket, etc. and must explore the ship (be it room by room, floor by floor, or even secret ways (like ventilation shafts)...basically, they don't have to drive the ship, because in the future ships drive themselves. more a survivalist type, exploration of ship in outer space and either the befriending of the owners of it or the killing of the owners of it. (this works easier if the owners are aliens, it also allows the game not to be set in the future)
This led me to one wonderful idea I hope I will be able to do.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 am

Ok, I reconsidered everything we were talking about + I read some of the forum games.
I see it like this:
-We have one character, everybody can post commands (like in Escape by Thinks, Memories by Arles or Getting Back... by LAYF.
-Character is designed by players (which are choosing from the given options and they are making up the name).
-I have plans for locations (or rather one big location) and plot (that was totally reconsidered and have nothing in common with the previous one).
-It will be mostly updated on weekends.
-It will hopefully start after I finish all the godschool assignments (two left by now).
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:09 pm

That sounds good Borys :)
-Actions :) Cool.. just make sure to keep the reactions withing what the character would do, and in cross roads, roll random OR take the one you like the most.. for your own sake as a GM. keeping you happy is the most important thing, if not, the game dies...
-Character options.. you could make a poll where people can vote on 2-3 things each and then use the 3- most voted for, that is much more easy than collecting votes by either posts or PM. - just an idea.
- location... cool... big locations are fun to explore.. again, just dot over do it unless you are 100% sure you can do it. because, believe me... if you place a stone on the ground that you hope the players will use to break a light bulp... they will do everything else with the stone, even naming it if you'r really lucky...
-updates, cool.. one week update sounds like a good starting schedule.

All in all... nice :)
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:05 pm

So, i just had a fantastical idea....

Imagine a game that combines the job of player run characters, with the joy of voting for actions...and, i place these in my magic hat...(places in hat, next to bunny), tap my wand on the top of the hat, reach in, and present you with the fabulous, Player character action voting.

You get to vote by yourself on your players action. This allows the GM to have more control over the players actions so they can't do crazy shit, though who knows, maybe do crazy shit is an action.... This also throws away the core problem of number of actions per turn, movement, minor/major etc.

So, imagine you have...a 3-6 player game, who enter a dungeon/quest/adventure/whatever.... and each player has 4-6 options to choose from each "round", kind of a , choose your own adventure type game. More control, more fun.wooo

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Somehow that doesn't sound exciting at all.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:19 am

Nah, it can work really well as long as the options are really choices that will affect the game abd not just pseudo-choices that have no real meaning. Done well it could be a great way to run a first game cos it keeps things roughly in the realms of where the gm planned without going totally nuts.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:45 am

My comp was down, and everything I had on game or God school is gone. Thank God, I did maps on paper.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 am

Ah shit Borys! that sucks!

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 am

Really I've only lost layer versions of assignments... and this "curving line" assignment I finished already, but not posted anywhere.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.