Quest for a Cure (GAL 7): Turn 46

For all games that are now over.
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Quest for a Cure (GAL 7): Turn 34

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:56 am

Walks wades into the water just barely far enough to reach the closest tentacle with her axe and fights it. If any tentacle grabs her, slip the ring of unquenchable thirst onto the tip of it.

OOC: I'm curious what this does to a water-immersed creature. Will it drench the pool? :lol:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:32 am

Righteous One will continue to hack and slash at tentacles, backing away if possible.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:04 am

"There we go, your things are back and no harm no foul done, now Solomon please help me and Drinks here up to the ledge, we really need to help our friend."

If he helps us up i will rush to the next screen and throw the rope I have to Righteous and try and pull him out.

If Solomon hesitates I will further talk to him.

"Please Solomon what don't you want that will get us up there? Do you want my ear necklace?"
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Quest for a Cure (GAL 7): Turn 35

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:23 am

Turn 35

"Would you help get up?"

Drinks gives Solomon back his things.

"There we go, your things are back and no harm no foul done, now Solomon please help me and Drinks here up to the ledge, we really need to help our friend."

Solomon glares at Drinks.

"Please Solomon what don't you want that will get us up there? Do you want my ear necklace?"

"I don't want my whistle back. You can keep it. Don't bring it back and then you can all stay here."

This is getting confusing. After a little thought and some wild gesturing, Solomon helps Forges to the upper level then jams his hands in his pockets and keeps on glaring at Drinks.

Forges heads right to where the battle with the swamp monster is continuing to rage on!

The three tentacles all gang up and attack Righteous, doing 1 DAM to him and knocking him down to 2/5HP! He and Walks hack away at another tentacle, and manage to destroy one. Two more tentacles appear out the pond...

Down below, William spaces out.

---------------------------------------------

INVENTORIES

.[tabs: Walks]

Stats:
ATT: 3 (axe) / 2 (bow)
DEF: 1
HP: 2/6

Items:
  • "Stirge" corpses (x4)
  • Shortbow (ranged)
  • Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
  • Skull
  • Necklace (Set with 3 Sapphires) (+1 Hp)
  • Wolfskin Cloak: +1 DEF. Very fine quality, provides protection against the cold.
  • Knock-Back Axe: +2 ATT. Chance to knock an enemy prone (must spend a move to stand back up).
  • Ring of Unquenchable Thirst: Cursed Item (cannot be removed). The wearer must drink every turn.
[tabs: William]

Stats:
ATT: 3
DEF: 3
HP: 4/5

Items:
  • Pirate hook (+1 ATT)
  • Chainmail shirt: (+2 DEF)
  • LongSword (+2 ATT)(2-handed)
  • Withering Touch
  • Ring of Water Form (Allows you to turn your body (and belongings) into water for 3 turns. (cool-down is 15 turns))
  • Wizards Robe (+1 Def vs. Magic), currently full of Mystery Mushroom Spores
  • Healing Salve (+2d3 Hp)
  • Wand of Slumber: Will temporarily send one creature to sleep. Contains 1/3 charges (and will recharge automagically on return to the GAL)
[tabs: Righteous]

Stats:
ATT: 4
DEF: 2
HP: 2/5

Items:
  • Solomon's whistle: Golden.
  • Scorpion Blade: +2ATT, 25% chance to poison an enemy. 1H dagger.
  • Straight Razor (+1 Atk, 1H, 25% chance to cause Bleed(-1 Hp for 1 turn))
  • Battle Standard
  • 2-handed shield (+1 DEF)
  • Obsidian Ring (Set with 1 Black Pearl) (Magic Shield nullifies 1 Attack, ignore upon activation, 15 turn cool-down) [re-activates on turn 48]
  • Cloak of Blood Banking - Can store 1HP in cloak. If wearer reaches 0HP, will restore you to 1HP
  • Helmet (+1 DEF)
  • Empty pouch: x3
  • Pouch of mushroom spores
[tabs: Drinks]

Stats:
ATT: 2

Items:
  • Ring of Transmogrification: Transforms the wearer
  • Simple Axe (+1 ATT) (1-handed)
  • Spear (+1 ATT) (2-handed)
[tabs: Forges]

Stats:
HP: 4/6

Items:
  • Rope
  • Human? bones: Taken from 2 skeletons
  • 3 dead rats (small)
  • 2 dead rats (medium)
  • Preserved Human Ear Necklace
  • A sharp looking Man-purse (backpack)
  • 3 important looking letters
  • "My first wand" wand
  • Red Potion (increases Hp by 1 point permanently)
  • 3 books of Evil Badness
  • Mace (+2 ATT)(1-handed)
  • Leather Jerkin (+1 DEF)
[/tabs]
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:44 am

RighteousOne will continue to try and back out hacking and slashing as he goes.

@TL possible mistake: Dropping to 1 hp seemed wrong, so I looked back. On turn 32 I have 3/5 hp. On turn 33 I drop to 2/5 but it says:
thinkslogically wrote:The other two tentacles swipe at him! They can't get through his defences, but one of them manages to get a grip on his arm!
So I think I should be 1 hp higher but didn't notice till now.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:19 am

Walks keeps on fighting and trying to free Right. If successful, withdraw with him out of reach of the tentacles. If Right dies, withdraw out of reach of the tentacles, too, Walks doesn't want to be next. :paranoia:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:39 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:@TL possible mistake: Dropping to 1 hp seemed wrong, so I looked back. On turn 32 I have 3/5 hp. On turn 33 I drop to 2/5 but it says:
thinkslogically wrote:The other two tentacles swipe at him! They can't get through his defences, but one of them manages to get a grip on his arm!
So I think I should be 1 hp higher but didn't notice till now.
Yup I think you're right! Righteous has 2/5 HP.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:27 am

hmm... are any tentacles still grasping Righteous...

Forges having a mace is not sure how well it will do vs a tentacle so will throw the rope to righteous and try to pull him out with it if he is free. (hopefully from walks and his actions. If he is not free...erm... make a loop in the rope (if not already there from the hook and to toss over him so he wont need to hold on and i can just pull.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:01 pm

"come on Solomon, be a pal and help me up. I promise I'll search for a way to release you from your curse."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:01 pm

William goes to the high point of the cavern path and looks down on the others trying to figure a way across without relying on Soloman...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:36 am

@pat: with them able to grasp me I don't think I'll be able to make it out, so I'm not going to try grabbing it. If you want to try your lasso idea go ahead but I'm not too sure it will work. Also William took the hook off when we tied up Solomon.

ooc: What I noticed is I seem to be taking 1 dam per attacking tentacle minus defense. With 4 tentacles I will take 2 damage next turn forcing my cloak to activate which i would like to avoid if possible. However if we can divide up the tentacles so that they attack different targets, we should be able to reduce the damage (potentially even to 0). Is anyone willing to risk getting in the middle with me? I understand if not considering the risks, but strategically it may be the better tactic.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Ok i will change my action to exactly the same as Walks. go in a fighting and trying to free Right. If successful, withdraw with him out of reach of the tentacles. If Right dies, withdraw out of reach of the tentacles, too.

A third option does spring to mind but a bit to risky. -throw me the whistle, i throw the whistle over the edge and maybe the others can get up next turn to help, but to unlikely.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm

So I think we talked about the cloak at the beginning of the game, but the way it works in this quest is that you had actively bank 1 of your own has into the cloak before it would work. I can't remember if you did that, and I can't check on mobile easily. If you did bank 1hp earlier, can you just tell me what turn you did it in? Cheers!

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 pm

Understandable, as I'm having trouble finding the mention of it myself. I recall it being decided that one was preemptively saved before coming on the quest. I'll keep looking... and found:
thinkslogically wrote:Also, Righteous has a cloak of Blood Banking. I assume you have to choose to "deposit" 1HP into it in order for that to work? Let me know if you want to activate it at any point.
(its in the spoiler on turn 9) and I suddenly realize that is "have to choose" not "have chose". Fuck!...

SAVE MY ASS GUYS!!!
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:13 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:49 am

► Show Spoiler
Patdragon wrote:A third option does spring to mind but a bit to risky. -throw me the whistle, i throw the whistle over the edge and maybe the others can get up next turn to help, but to unlikely.
I think the situation requires more immediate help. Also I want to give it a blow to see if anything happens before I decide to give it back (or not give if it turns out to be magical or something).

As I said before I'd appreciate it if someone else threw themselves in with me to split the damage so our defenses could take it. Though considering the risk, I don't blame anyone for not doing so. Better only one of us dies to stupidity than two.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Quest for a Cure (GAL 7): Turn 36

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:26 am

Turn 36

"come on Solomon, be a pal and help me up. I promise I'll search for a way to release you from your curse."
"You are definitely my favourite person right now. Of course I'll help you!"

Solomon makes no attempt to help Drinks up to the ledge.

William heads back to the right and climbs up to the top of the left-hand ledge. He reckons he MIGHT be able to jump across, but also knows that it's a hard fall if he misses. It would probably be safer to use a rope or something if he can figure out how to secure one.

To the right, the three others are still fighting the tentacle-monster.

Righteous fights for his life, hacking desperately at the tentacles that still cling to his arms and legs as Walks and Forges desperately try to cut their way through to him! They cut through one of the tentacles but two more appear out of the depths almost immediately, forcing them back to the shore again! Through the midst of the swarming, slimy arms, they catch one last glimpse of their brave friend as he is finally overpowered and dragged beneath the surface of the pond.

Righteous One is an ex-goblin. Everything he was carrying in his inventory has been lost forever.

-----------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
INVENTORIES

.[tabs: Walks]

Stats:
ATT: 3 (axe) / 2 (bow)
HP: 2/6

Items:
  • "Stirge" corpses (x4)
  • Shortbow (ranged)
  • Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
  • Skull
  • Necklace (Set with 3 Sapphires) (+1 Hp)
  • Wolfskin Cloak: +1 DEF. Very fine quality, provides protection against the cold.
  • Knock-Back Axe: +2 ATT. Chance to knock an enemy prone (must spend a move to stand back up).
  • Ring of Unquenchable Thirst: Cursed Item (cannot be removed). The wearer must drink every turn.
[tabs: William]

Stats:
DEF: 3
HP: 4/5

Items:
  • Pirate hook (+1 ATT)
  • Chainmail shirt: (+2 DEF)
  • LongSword (+2 ATT)(2-handed)
  • Withering Touch
  • Ring of Water Form (Allows you to turn your body (and belongings) into water for 3 turns. (cool-down is 15 turns))
  • Wizards Robe (+1 Def vs. Magic), currently full of Mystery Mushroom Spores
  • Healing Salve (+2d3 Hp)
  • Wand of Slumber: Will temporarily send one creature to sleep. Contains 1/3 charges (and will recharge automagically on return to the GAL)
[tabs: Righteous]

Stats: DECEASED
ATT: 4
HP: 0/5

Items:
  • Solomon's whistle: Golden.
  • Scorpion Blade: +2ATT, 25% chance to poison an enemy. 1H dagger.
  • Straight Razor (+1 Atk, 1H, 25% chance to cause Bleed(-1 Hp for 1 turn))
  • Battle Standard
  • 2-handed shield (+1 DEF)
  • Obsidian Ring (Set with 1 Black Pearl) (Magic Shield nullifies 1 Attack, ignore upon activation, 15 turn cool-down) [re-activates on turn 48]
  • Cloak of Blood Banking - Can store 1HP in cloak. If wearer reaches 0HP, will restore you to 1HP
  • Helmet (+1 DEF)
  • Empty pouch: x3
  • Pouch of mushroom spores

[tabs: Drinks]

Stats:
ATT: 2

Items:
  • Ring of Transmogrification: Transforms the wearer
  • Simple Axe (+1 ATT) (1-handed)
  • Spear (+1 ATT) (2-handed)
[tabs: Forges]

Stats:
HP: 4/6

Items:
  • Rope
  • Human? bones: Taken from 2 skeletons
  • 3 dead rats (small)
  • 2 dead rats (medium)
  • Preserved Human Ear Necklace
  • A sharp looking Man-purse (backpack)
  • 3 important looking letters
  • "My first wand" wand
  • Red Potion (increases Hp by 1 point permanently)
  • 3 books of Evil Badness
  • Mace (+2 ATT)(1-handed)
  • Leather Jerkin (+1 DEF)
[/tabs]

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 am

OOC: Who in the hell has the rope?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 am

In a forest far away, Remedy feels a stinging pain in her chest, this time being no mosquito sting. "One of us has fallen." she sais with a throaty voice.
:zzz:

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 am

Sigh! I had a feeling. Though I can't help but feel screwed by item confusion. The cloak not doing anything when I thought it would and the ring not activating the first time on turn 10 because I didn't know had to say I was wearing it. Oh well, its the GMs rules, so I can't really complain.
thinkslogically wrote:So, the reason I've got a "when you die, your stuff dies too" rule is to allow some items to disappear from the 'economy' so that we keep decent turnover of items in the common game pool. If we have HQ storage for 'unneeded' items which can be sold on after a death then that reduces the loss for you guys quite considerably, though that space will be limited to make you get rid of your junk every so often (throw it away or sell it) :)

I'll be willing to follow LSN's ruling though and allow a dead player to choose one item which they can drop as loot before they die, since that would let plot-important items or items of sentimental value (e.g. Blood Song) stay in the game.
Since its needed to secure Solomon's help would you at least consider the whistle a plot item. I don't want my death to screw other players. I'd rather other things but I figure this is best for the story. :wall:
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:27 am

If it makes you feel better, I think you'd probably have died next turn anyway. Sorry you feel the item rules weren't clear, but we did talk about them in advance and I assumed you'd understood.

I'm afraid the whistle isn't plot important enough to warrant saving in afraid. It's just a secondary item at best and the others will need to make do :-)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:09 am

Quarg wrote:OOC: Who in the hell has the rope?
Forges has the rope that Solomon was tied up with.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 am

"Holy friggen crap. That didn't just happen!"

Standing on the edge looking at the pool Forges is stunned and simply stares for a moment.

Reluctantly walking back to the ledge with Solomon he sit down with his legs off the edge...

"We were too late... the tentacles got him... sorry Solomon... the whistle been eaten ... along with our friend."

Forges hangs his head... depressed.

(if you want the rope i'll throw it to you but trying to pull Solomon hearts strings first in character)

ooc: ok this has become a lot more awkward... and i noticed something to late...every time a tentacle was cut 2 popped up....it was a hydra effect...fighting it was a bad idea, should have stuck with trying to pull you out, soz chuck.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:53 am

Walks gets the hell out of reach of the tentacles as fast as she can. She sits down on the bare ground and sheds a few quiet tears for Righteous One, sad to see him end like this, and at the same time feeling humbly grateful that he went into the pool before her and it wasn't her that got pulled down and killed. She waits for the ferrymen to return, and who ever they might have gotten to help. They will be too late to aid Right, but it might still be worth talking to them.
► Show Spoiler

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 am

"Look solomon, my friend just died. Is there any thing you want me to do or not to do in exchange for your help?"