Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (Finals)

For all games that are now over.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (signups closing 14/3)

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 am

Relax lin. Mort can just put you in the second round :roll:

Also, each round lasts a week. So if we start on Tuesday, the deadline is same time next Tuesday.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am

I remember reading that we were gonna have a sort of practice round, so maybe just set the deadline on Monday? Yes, that leaves a little less time for the first round, but it's all practice and doesn't matter anyway. Then, after that, the deadline would remain on Monday, giving everyone a full week to write/edit their submissions.
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 am

AccursedBiscuit wrote:I remember reading that we were gonna have a sort of practice round, so maybe just set the deadline on Monday? Yes, that leaves a little less time for the first round, but it's all practice and doesn't matter anyway. Then, after that, the deadline would remain on Monday, giving everyone a full week to write/edit their submissions.

I second this. Is there a third?

Oh who am I kidding, this isn't a democracy. :)
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Honestly, I was thinking of starting now, and then ending the contest late monday. The entire weekend should be free, which I would believe is most important. IF anyone would really want that extra day, I'd push the deadline to tuesday. (But all participants would have the same timeframe, so it wouldn't matter too much right? :paranoia: ) But for now- Let the games begin, shall we?

Brackets
All players will randomly be distributed through one of two brackets. Every player will have to do two fights within their own bracket. As these two fights come to a conclusion, four people out of each bracket will advance into the quarter finals- Winners of that pass onto the semi finals and so on. On another important note, as the two first battles aren't necessarily deadly even if your opponent loses due to this, there will be no killing in these rounds. Anything else, however, is fair game. (I did say we would have a practice round first, but I decided to back out of it- This way however, even if you mess up your first battle, you can still make up for it with the second. Trust me, I did that with the first RW. ;) )

Between each matchup, there will be a week of time for the judges to evaluate the works, and the maximum number of battles each week will be three because of this.

So without further adue, let's see the brackets shall we?

Bracket A
RunsAround's Robert
Vidius's The Rasping Suit
Psychotic's Donovan
AccursedBiscuit's Tibiscu
Arch Lich Burns's Rex
Dusk9's Kane

Bracket B
Lingrem's Naklin
Loki's Felix McMaster
Feytala (if she wishes to join)
Ramsa's Konor Durai
Arydra's Firorn

The battle will begin with Bracket A. So let's see who gets matched against who, shall we?

Matchups
RunsAround's Robert versus Psychotic's Donovan
A rather picturesque location- Plains stretching for several miles, hills rolling like waves, and the entire area covered in a multitude of colorful flowers. A place many romantics tend to go, as can be seen on the carvings found back on several of the more sparse trees on the plains. However, you are looking for a shortcut- And as someone else does as well, perhaps something else than love will fall upon these plains...

Vidius's The Rasping Suit versus Accursedbiscuit's Tibiscu
This old forest path has seen better days. No doubt once this path was often used to travel directly north once in the long past. But banditry more and more lead merchants to take the longer route around the forest, until eventually the whole road fell became almost unused, and disrepair. Now, it is doubtful if even the bandits are still around. But something tells you it should not be them what you need to fear...

Arch Lich Burns's Rex versus Dusk9's Kane
The village Brandenburgh- A small, peaceful village, surviving mostly on their own agriculture. They carry very little other importance, besides at times being a passageway for merchants wishing to reach the bigger cities to the north. Little did they know they were about to receive visitors, who would probably ruin the peace they have grown accustomed to...

Deadline is monday, 11.59pm (forum time)
Submissions may be PM'ed to me. Please put "RW" or "Rating wars" in the title, thank you. :)
Good luck to all contestants. And let the games begin...

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Y'know, deep down, I kinda knew I'd get the scary guy right off the bat :shock:
But anyways.. Woo! Let's get it on! 8)

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Re: Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Oh hey M0rt, I thought Badgeaddict had quit? Or did he rescind his withdrawal? (he edited his entry)
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Oh. Yeah, he did. Shame, but oh well. I'll delete him of the list.

Which raises the question what we're going to do with the one guy that wouldn't be matched up with someone. A triple battle? Skip his battle altogether? Another option is that I just create a character for him- I won't actually participate, but then he'd have a character he can base his battle against. Thoughts?

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:52 pm

M0rtimer wrote:Oh. Yeah, he did. Shame, but oh well. I'll delete him of the list.

Which raises the question what we're going to do with the one guy that wouldn't be matched up with someone. A triple battle? Skip his battle altogether? Another option is that I just create a character for him- I won't actually participate, but then he'd have a character he can base his battle against. Thoughts?
You could seed all the participants into one single bracket, and just know that every contestant needs to fight 2 battles.

So for example keep this 1st round drawn as it is, then for the 2nd round draw everyone from bracket B, and one person from bracket A. Then for the next round draw everyone at random, minus the one person from Bracket A who has already fought two fights, then for the round draw the remaining opponents against each other.

E.G

Round 1
A vs B
C vs D
E vs F

Round 2
G vs H
I vs J
K vs A

Round 3
C vs H
D vs I
F vs B

Round 4
E vs K
G vs J

That way, everyone fights two battles, you don't need to re draw, and you don't need anyone to fight against a 'non' opponent.
"Winter is coming"

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:56 pm

M0rtimer wrote:

Vidius's The Rasping Suit versus Accursedbiscuit's Tibiscu
This old forest path has seen better days. No doubt once this path was often used to travel directly north once in the long past. But banditry more and more lead merchants to take the longer route around the forest, until eventually the whole road fell became almost unused, and disrepair. Now, it is doubtful if even the bandits are still around. But something tells you it should not be them what you need to fear...
Mort, was this arena made for me you big sweetie?
AccursedBiscuit wrote:Y'know, deep down, I kinda knew I'd get the scary guy right off the bat
I was expecting to face Dusk, this however is a pleasant surprise.
"Winter is coming"

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm

vidius wrote: I was expecting to face Dusk, this however is a pleasant surprise.
I'm honestly praying you get knocked out before that happens. I've no idea how a mind-reader/dream-maker is supposed to beat a cursed suit powered by nightmares :roll:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Rating wars II: Electric boogaloo (round 1)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Ah... That works great actually! I was worried I'd end up having one too many/little to match up properly, but it seems to be just fine... So I'm going to revise it to that- One bracket instead of two, and in total 3 people will drop off after these two battles. Then we'd have 8 players left, and we can start doing straight matchups. :)

And everything was random. I had 6 locations written up, three for this round and three for the next, and you happened to get the forest.

Though honestly, I think it'd have been far more... Interesting if you had the village. Together with Burns. :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Good luck with a Lich dusk. They are immune to mind affecting attacks :P Lich

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

.....well, butts. There goes that plan :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Dusk9 wrote:.....well, butts. There goes that plan :roll:
And detect thoughts is mind effecting.... good luck!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, depends on whether you'd want it to be or not. This is a different universe from D&D after all. If you say he's immune to mind meddling, then yes, he is. It's part of your character.

However, I need to put attention to the fact that doing so is not necessarily a good thing. In the end, this isn't coming down to who is more powerful, or whether or not you'd have more advantages to your opponent. Sure, your opponent will have less resources to use in his battle... But so will you. The battles don't come down who's the most powerful after all, they come down to who writes the best. And when it comes down to that part, here's some advice from me- Use your enemy. Sure, your character is still the hero, and you'd know him best, but his character also contributes to your entry. If you make him utilize everything he has, that would only contribute to your submission- And give you a greater chance to win.

That's just my two cents though. :P

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I admit I had dnd in mind when creating this character...but it being able to affect him would be interesting.....if dusk can find him that is :3

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:35 pm

I think most of us had DnD in mind when made our characters. I referenced the DnD spell list so you guys knew what spells my person used.

egreham
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by egreham » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 pm

aww man, I wanted to join. Did this close down already?

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:56 pm

You may be able to squeeze on in, apparently someone dropped out. If you can sweet-talk M0rt, that is :lol:

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 pm

M0rt doesn't really seem the type of person you could sweet talk into doing anything. But miracles can happen. :)

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Of course M0rt is the type of person you can sweet talk!

Right M0rty poo?
► Show Spoiler

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:08 pm

PSychotic wrote:Of course M0rt is the type of person you can sweet talk!

Right M0rty poo?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 pm

► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 am

Yes. Closed. Turning my heart to stone here. No remorse.

...Fine get me that sheet before the end of the week. :roll:

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:00 am

Wait, wasn't sign up open until 14/3? I wanted to sign up today, but I can't now? Or can I still sign up?
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.