GAL: Quest 1 (Completed)

For all games that are now over.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 13)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:38 am

Heh! so they did. Ah well, you can keep the extra HP since you've been so honest about it and because I didn't notice twice.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 13)

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:53 am

The healing power of honesty! Thanks. :D
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 14)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Turn 14

try to lure them on to the bridge
"I'm sorry about my poor word choice. Of course it's not your fault that you couldn't get back across to return the laundry. (Although, really, you could have just offered to bring it back...) Rork, looks like we're taking on the skeletons first. I'm going to go help my friends. Can you make sure the bridge stays on for us? At least until we're all back on this side. I think we're going to try to lure the skeletons onto the bridge and then drop them before they can get across."
"It's your funeral."

As Mines negotiates the bridge, grabs a torch and joins in the glorious battle! His torch stays intact but doesn't set anything on fire.

William attempts a fighting retreat, but since attacking ends his turn, he only gets as far as fighting and the skeletons close in on him! Fortunately Odd is also ready to attack, and does so, wielding his pointy stick ferociously! Together the goblins manage to do a bit more damage to the right-hand skeleton, who in turn team hit Odd and William! William takes 1DAM and Odd takes absolutely none! Phew.

Walks drinks her potion and recovers 2HP while she crawls away to safety.

---------------------------------------

Stats & Loot [Items in red are currently equipped]
.[tabs: Odd Duck]
ATT: 2
DEF: 2
HP: 4/5

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

[tabs: Walks With The Wind]
DEF: 1
HP: 3/5

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x3)
Skull

[tabs: william]

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

[tabs: Mines Flagons]

ITEMS: Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.[/tabs]

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

William retreats back across the bridge....
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Odd will also retreat but without turnin his back on the skeletons in case they try to attack again.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 pm

I'll protect Walks, staying between her and the skeletons. I'll retreat at her pace, and attempt to defend against any attacks.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 15)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Turn 15

Everyone retreats away from the skeletons, except Walks, who spaces out, presumably catching her breath from all the injuries and speed-healing.

----------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x3)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

ITEMS: Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.[/tabs]
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm

William decides that they really don't have the strength to go attack the damn skeletons. And that the treasure is a no win situation.
"I think we need to focus on getting the beer. And so far I have yet to come up with a way of crossing that pool of acid..."

William will then travel down the ladder.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 am

Options:

*Try shooting the stingers, then using their wings to build a glider.

*Get some rope, have Rork secure one end, retract the bridge, then climb down.

*Try talking to the stingers. There's a small but nonzero chance they're intelligent.

*Ask the gnomes if they have any ideas.

*Stay where we are, retract the bridge, and shoot arrows at it. The extra height should help.

*Bait the spider into coming across. Risky (especially if it can walk on the wall instead of just the bridge), but perhaps less risky than the acid pit.

*Find a way to blow the stingers towards the spider. They usually retreat when they see it coming, but with no choice, they may just attack. Even if not, they're acidic. If the spider eats them, that might just do the trick.

*Fire arrows. The web is likely flammable, and we do have a lit torch. If we can light the web on fire from here, we'll likely damage and panic the spider. Of course, what happens then is that we have a wounded, panicked giant spider to deal with...

Any other ideas?

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:42 am

RP/team talk ONLY post (GM please ignore as you wish):
► Show Spoiler

Walks stands up, dusts herself off and, eyebrows raised, addresses Mines: "That was very gallant of you. Are you, by any chance, trying to impress me?"

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 am

Mines tips his hat. Dear lady, it's nothing I wouldn't have done for any friend in mortal peril. But, should you be impressed by that, well, I won't gainsay you.

(That does not have to go into the update, Thinks. But it felt like something that needed an in-character response.)

ETA: Forgot to mention in previous post. There's really only one way to deal with standing over a giant pit of acid. You've got to drop the base. 8)
Last edited by WearsHats on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Yeeeeaahhh.

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20 am

RP:
Walks looks mystified at Mines, raising her brows further. "I didn't see you doing that for Odd, when he was getting swarmed by the rats." she states pointedly, then adds, smiling: "But thank you kindly, in any case."

Action:
Walks re-lights her torch at the one Mines is carrying and walks to the right side of the bridge (where the troll is standing). There, she lays down on her belly and tries to talk to the gnome in the web over the edge of the platform (turn off bridge if needed, of course allowing any goblins, gnomes and trolls to clear it , first! :paranoia: ).
"Are you still alive in there and able to reply? What's your name? How did you cross the acid pool? Do you think you could free yourself and climb or at least hold onto a pointy stick if I held one down to you?"

If the gnome replies 'yes' to the last question, Walks will hold out her points stick to where he is trapped, pulling him up with it, if possible.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:44 am

1. Any thoughts on possible plans? Other than seeing if the gnome in the web is alive?

2. With the rats, I didn't have a weapon and there was help coming. This time, you were severely injured, everyone else was running away, and I did have a weapon.

3. Yes, "drop the base" was a silly pun. Probably more trouble than it's worth to explain.
► Show Spoiler
4. ETA: Come to think, maybe it's actually worth a try. Since you gnomes are so into cleaning, do you happen to have any lye? Not sure if you know it by that name. It's a highly caustic liquid which is an essential ingredient in most soaps.

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 pm

That does help, yes. Though input from the others - especially the one with the bow & arrows - would be good.

But yes, I figured we could ask around for rope. And no, I don't know how we'd blow the stingers. But I thought it was an idea perhaps worth exploring if we could brainstorm about it. Who knows what the gnomes have? (Rope, likely, if they're that into laundry.) And good point about firing the web from the bridge. I just hope that doesn't get you attacked by a very angry spider...

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 pm

OOC:
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm going to hold off updating until there's a clearer consensus on what you're all planning to do. Can be later tonight if you all post, otherwise I'll hang off till tomorrow :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah. We don't have a long-term plan. But for this turn, it seems like:

Walks will talk to the gnome in the web to see if he's still alive. Mines will talk to the gnomes on the bridge to see if their clan (or whatever a group of gnomes is called) has a source of lye (and possibly some rope). William will talk to the gnomes at the cave entrance for any general info on (I presume) the skeletons, the spider, the acid pit, and anything useful they might be able to contribute to our efforts to defeat those things. (Quarg will likely have to flesh that out and put it into actual words.) Odd... has yet to check in with an action.

Go team TalksALot!

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Ah yeah! Thanks - I'd skimmed the thread and missed the actual actions it seems! Ok, I'll get the update done in the next hour or so :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 16)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Turn 16

"I think we need to focus on getting the beer. And so far I have yet to come up with a way of crossing that pool of acid..."
"That was very gallant of you. Are you, by any chance, trying to impress me?"
"Dear lady, it's nothing I wouldn't have done for any friend in mortal peril. But, should you be impressed by that, well, I won't gainsay you."
"I didn't see you doing that for Odd, when he was getting swarmed by the rats. But thank you kindly, in any case."
"With the rats, I didn't have a weapon and there was help coming. This time, you were severely injured, everyone else was running away, and I did have a weapon."

William climbs down the ladder. As he climbs down, the extra weight makes the ladder wobble... Seems it might not be quite as secure as it looked!

Walks relights her torch and hops back across the bridge and leans over the edge to try and speak to the captured goblin.

"Are you still alive in there and able to reply? What's your name? How did you cross the acid pool? Do you think you could free yourself and climb or at least hold onto a pointy stick if I held one down to you?"
"MMMMM! MRRRGHH! MMMMHFFFFFFFFFF!"

The goblin wriggles frantically at the goblin's shouts, and then stops abruptly when the spider starts looking interested.

Walks waves her pointy stick at him, but the gnome seems to be tied up tight and besides, she can't reach nearly near enough.

Odd spaces out.

--------------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x3)
Skull

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x6, +1 ATT)
Skull

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:30 pm

"Maybe we could borrow the ladder to get over the acid pit." Walks offers another idea to the team, before she talks to the troll guard. "Hey there, Rork, was it? Would you kindly lend me your spear for a moment, maybe? I'm sure a big hunk of a fellow like you wouldn't have problems to guard the bridge from gnomes for a minute or so without a weapon. I could give you my pointy stick in the meantime, if you want to. I could even offer you a tasty rat, freshly killed, as rental payment, if you're interested in that."

If the troll agrees, Walks will hand over the pointy stick (and a rat corpse, depending on what Rork wants) for the spear, turn off the bridge and try to free the gnome by using the spear this turn, instead of the stick. Additional to the higher reach, the sharp point/blade on its end should enable Walks to gently cut free the gnome, before allowing him to climb up.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 pm

So that's a no on the lye? Not surprised, really. Too much acid for it to likely work, anyway. Thought it might be worth a try.

Hmm, so we could take the ladder. Then what? We need a plan to deal with the spider. (And possibly the stingers. Though they do hide if they see the spider coming.)

Or, yeah, we could forget about the bonus loot, tell the trolls that if they let the gnomes in they'll return the laundry, and hope things sort themselves out from there. I think the spider is doable, though, if we come up with a cohesive plan. There should be some way to knock it into the acid pit...

I need to get back to sleep.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:30 am

Sorry - missed the lye question!

But no, they don't have any. All their soap is imported from the finest, organic and fair-trade manufacturies from somewhere very far away.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:39 am

OOC: Huh? Lye soap is organic...you take plants, burn them, then soak their ashes in water producing lye...and completely fair-trade paying someone three times the going wage in their country to burn leaves and leach them with water...

IC: William talks to the gnomes. "Good day, you wouldn't happen to know anything about that acid pool that is separating us from rescuing your fellow gnome from the spider? Like say some sort of level control or such? We are looking for a way of getting around or over it to rescue the poor fellow before he becomes dinner."

William will listen to the answer. "Well you wouldn't know anything besides the spider which might dissuade the stingers from flying about and stining those attempting the rescue would you?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:16 am

OOC: ok, that was kind of a joke but the point is, it's not homemade so they have no lye on the premises.